PDA

View Full Version : Advice on how to deal with a cat

T Park
12-09-2006, 03:28 AM
A friend of mine from high school has two cats.

Boy and a girl.

The boy, hides whenever a stranger comes over to the apartment.

Well, recently, my friend started dating someone and the cat runs and hides from him everytime he shows up.

Supposedly the cat is scared of the boyfriend for no reason.

My friend wants to know, how does she get the cat to like the boyfriend?

Anyway to bribe the cat?

Thanks cat lovers :)

CuckingFunt
12-09-2006, 03:42 AM
The cat should eventually get used to the boyfriend and stop hiding.

And if it doesn't... oh well. Can't really force a cat to stop being a scaredy.

Fillmoe
12-09-2006, 03:59 AM
beat the kitty up!

MannyIsGod
12-09-2006, 04:10 AM
You can't force cats to do shit.

T Park
12-09-2006, 04:33 AM
Well not force, but what can the boyfriend do, to like, have the cat come out and play, let pet, or whatever with him?

Or is it all on the cat deciding when...

Kori Ellis
12-09-2006, 04:52 AM
Cats are not like dogs. They don't all warm up to you. Sometimes if they are freaks, they stay freaks. Many years ago, I had a roommate who had a cat. We lived together for two years and I never could pet that cat even once. It would always run. It didn't like people touching it.

MannyIsGod
12-09-2006, 04:55 AM
The cat owns your friend, not the other way around.

atlfan25
12-09-2006, 05:26 AM
kill those bastards

end of story

TheSanityAnnex
12-09-2006, 05:33 AM
take a bb gun to the dome of it.

Borosai
12-09-2006, 05:55 AM
I love cats, and I understand those pussies on a whole other level. If you want to get to a cat's heart (and ass, but that's another story), the cat has to smell you, and not hate your scent. Also, cats are picky eaters (unless they are starving street bitches), and if the cat associates you with something it likes, you're golden. But you can't approach the cat...the boyfriend should just sit somewhere still and let the cat come to him with the promise of a snack or some shit. After that, the association will be made, and the love connection can begin. Holla! :elephant

Jekka
12-09-2006, 06:36 AM
You are much more likely to get a cat to like you by ignoring it than by making an effort.

BIG IRISH
12-09-2006, 06:42 AM
You can't force cats to do shit.
:lol
Not only that
You can't bribe them
You can't train them
You can't even ask them nicely
You can't even pay them
Cats do what they want to do when they want to do it
sort of like ex-wifes.

TDMVPDPOY
12-09-2006, 07:29 AM
ur cat would be his meal

Rusty Shackleford
12-09-2006, 11:07 AM
Just tell your friend to keep going over and ignoring the cat. It'll come around.

exstatic
12-09-2006, 11:59 AM
Cats are their own creatures. They can be conditioned to do a few things, though. You can pick them up. Do it for very short intervals to begin with, and when they wriggle, put them down. Eventually, they will let you hold them longer, and scratch their bellies. You can pet them, too. They must smell you first, but once they know you, just start with maybe one finger scratching the top of their head. They love to have the base of their ears rubbed/scratched. Younger cats are more responsive to these things, I might add. If the cat is like 8-10 years old and doesn't enjoy contact, it would probably be hard to teach at that point. I got my younger cat when she was 8 months, and she is a total lap kitty and attention slut. She frequently follows me around the house, and chatters at me with various meows, mieuws and whatnot. Also, almost every night when I get home from work, she's at the same spot on the back of the couch, looking right at the door when I come in.

Oh, I almost forgot. A quick way to make friends with a cat is to make eye contact with it, then slowly make your eyes go into a squint, almost closed. Try it a couple of times, and see if you can get the cat to do it back to you. It's "cat" for "hey, I'm a friend".

spurs_fan_in_exile
12-09-2006, 01:00 PM
I've had experience with both my wife and my mother in law's cats. My wife's didn't like me too much at first. What turned things around was when I started being the first out of bed in the morning to feed the cat. As soon as he started making the connection between me and getting fed he started warming up to me pretty quickly.

My MIL has a rescued cat that bolted second you reached towards her and hide under the bed. That was a case where ignoring the cat actually led to the best results. I'd go around my business as usual and it eventually sank in that I hadn't come for the cat, but was just part of the scenery. So I guess the moral of the story is that you never know what will work.

SequSpur
12-09-2006, 01:33 PM
gay