PDA

View Full Version : Metal Fans--Which Band Doesn't Belong???

LaMarcus Bryant
12-09-2006, 04:25 AM
Here are the grammy nominees for Best Metal Performance (For solo, duo, group or collaborative performances, with vocals. Singles or Tracks only.)

* Redneck
Lamb Of God
Track from: Sacrament
[Epic]

* Colony Of Birchmen
Mastodon
Track from: Blood Mountain
[Reprise/Relapse Records]

* Lies, Lies, Lies
Ministry
Track from: Rio Grande Blood
[13th Planet Records/Megaforce Records]

* Eyes Of The Insane
Slayer
Track from: Christ Illusion
[American]

* 30/30-150
Stone Sour
[Roadrunner Records]

Now I ask you metal heads. Which band/song does not belong?

Which band do you think will win? We all know grammys are a popularity contest but if the band that does not belong wins this award I will consider offing myself.

Condemned 2 HelLA
12-09-2006, 04:37 AM
At least there's no Jethro Tull in there to have to worry about!
Lamb of God and Stone Sour blow goats for spare change.
Slayer are no where near where they once were.
I'd rather not see Mastodon win simply because they are a real undiscovered treasure. They already have too much Hot Topic pub going for them, and I don't like that.
And I really don't think that the Academy "gets" Ministry, but who knows? Maybe they'll be the ones who pull it off based on a more diverse (if that's the proper word for it here) past.
You know what?
I'd almost rather see Lamb of God or Stone Sour win the award just to prove that the Grammy committee has no grasp of what is truly good.
As long as Mastodon does NOT win, I'll be pleased.

LaMarcus Bryant
12-09-2006, 04:43 AM
Ministry has been nominated 3 times before but has been owned by Metallica, etc. I dont get why people hate on LoG, they dont rule but I dont think they suck either.

Funny thing is I saw Mastodon, LoG, and Slayer all together at the Unholy Alliance Tour this last July and neither band sucked. But best metal performance? Slayer or Ministry should win, preferably Ministry. But What I was alluding to about what band doesn't belong--if that band wins it will be another jethro tull all over. Seriously.

atlfan25
12-09-2006, 05:27 AM
ya well it really doesnt fucking matter now does it?

IX_Equilibrium
12-09-2006, 02:13 PM
Lamb of God would get my vote.

I like Mastadon too, but LoG is better, imo.

METALMiKE
12-09-2006, 02:16 PM
stone sour,they are fuckin touring with evanescence.

ZStomp
12-09-2006, 02:30 PM
Never heard of any of these songs.

Squid
12-09-2006, 02:36 PM
Stone Sour fucking suck.

LaMarcus Bryant
12-09-2006, 02:45 PM
something tells me atl likes stone sour

phyzik
12-09-2006, 03:25 PM
Ministry better win it.... I still love going to bars and someone is playing country or rap, then I go up and play Psalm 69 and Jesus built my Hotrod just to freak them out a little.

leemajors
12-09-2006, 03:53 PM
since when did metal fans care about awards?

jman3000
12-09-2006, 04:18 PM
pretty much what condemned said.

mavsfan1000
12-09-2006, 04:21 PM
80's metal was the shit. The metal these days you can't hear what they're saying and less shred. Metalhammer is one of the few bands I like now.

spurschick
12-09-2006, 04:59 PM
I still have a hard time believing that anyone in the academy knows what real metal is. They would probably vote for Poison if they were nominated.

IX_Equilibrium
12-09-2006, 05:24 PM
I still have a hard time believing that anyone in the academy knows what real metal is. They would probably vote for Poison if they were nominated.

True

I never watch any of those award shows because they're all stupid. Most of those awards shows have turned into the BET awards.

Horry For 3!
12-09-2006, 05:52 PM
Stone Sour doesn't belong.

leemajors
12-10-2006, 12:08 AM
Ministry better win it.... I still love going to bars and someone is playing country or rap, then I go up and play Psalm 69 and Jesus built my Hotrod just to freak them out a little.

you should put something on from with sympathy or maybe every day is halloween if you want to freak people out. a goth party may break out.

Condemned 2 HelLA
12-10-2006, 12:23 AM
MTV2 had an awards show a few months ago, and for some bizarre reason, Lamb of God beat out Mastodon for Best Metal band.
I suppose that I should be glad that was the outcome, but come on: there is no way in hell that Leg of Lamb is a better band than Mastodon.
No way.

LaMarcus Bryant
12-10-2006, 12:45 AM
Mastodon has better song structure and melodies, lamb of god is kind of generic as far as true metal goes

dg7md
12-10-2006, 02:50 AM
I like all of those bands except Lamb of God, which is "popular mainstream 'death metal'".

Condemned 2 HelLA
12-10-2006, 02:59 AM
I like all of those bands except Lamb of God, which is "popular mainstream 'death metal'".

That band is NOT and never will even come close to being death metal.
They're 5th rate wigger metal at best.

screamformelongbeach
12-10-2006, 11:47 PM
Condemned 2 HelLA...LOVE the Scream Bloody Gore image you dropped in the earlier post. Makes me long for the 80's, when bands like Slayer, Dark Angel, and Death were still in their prime and releasing absolute metal masterpieces.

What are we left with today? Not much. Of course, Chuck Schuldiner has passed away, Dark Angel broke up long ago (although a reunion may happen if Gene Hoglan would stop whoring himself out to every 2-bit metal band in America), and Slayer is well past their prime. That being said, I hope Slayer wins the Grammy...if for no other reason than to give them a kind of lifetime achievement award.

It's unfortunate, but I am resigned to the fact that we will never have another era that can hold a candle to 80's/early 90's metal, although bands like 1349 give me some hope for the future.

Spurminator
12-10-2006, 11:54 PM
I don't think Slayer is past their prime at all.

screamformelongbeach
12-11-2006, 12:11 AM

It actually pains me to say it, but they are past their prime. However, keep in mind that Slayer in its prime was the greatest metal group of all time. So Slayer past its prime is better than 99% of the other metal acts around.

And I've seen Slayer about 30 times live, starting with their Cameo Theater show on September 15, 1985 when I was 15 years old. There is definitely a drop-off these days, and the Unholy Alliance show this summer was a bit of a disappointment for me. I know Tom was just coming off of gall bladder surgery, and it was early in the tour, but I've come to expect a lot more from Slayer.

Condemned 2 HelLA
12-11-2006, 12:35 AM

Slayer has been past their prime since '88.
That Unholy Alliance tour was the WORST show I went to this year!
13 song set, didn't get to any of the good old songs (Chemical Warfare) until halfway through the set, and then they only played 5 songs that were recorded from '86 or before, not to mention the fact they didn't even play any encores.
That whole goddamn gig was a big MySpace field trip to a Hot Topic store.
I really wanted my money back after that show.
If I knew Mastodon were going to be doing their own headlining club tour 2 months later, I could've saved my money for that instead.
SFMLB-there's plenty of good death/black metal out there if you know where to look, but just don't depend on that pathetic excuse of a show called "Headbanger's Ball" to point it out for you. Generally speaking, most vids they play on that show are by bands that must have compromising pix of label execs that they'll threaten to make public if their bands don't get any airplay.

screamformelongbeach
12-11-2006, 12:47 AM
Specifically, Slayer reached their songwriting peak in '86 with Reign in Blood. There was nowhere to go but down after that, you just can't improve upon it. They continued to write great songs all the way through Seasons in the Abyss, and even a few good-to-great songs on Divine Intervention, but Diabolus in Musica signaled their demise as songwriters. I can't think of one decent song they've released since then.

However, they managed to maintain the integrity of their live shows well into the 21st century if you ask me, and the last couple of shows at Sunset Station were absolutely incredible. But there is no doubt whatsoever that the Freeman Coliseum show this summer was not very good, by Slayer standards.

DON VITO
12-11-2006, 02:32 AM

Butt Bam wood dizagreeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Spurminator
12-11-2006, 10:43 AM
I can't speak for their live shows, but I love the new album. I thought Slayer's down period was the mid-Nineties, but they've been on the upswing since Diabolus.

I guess on second thought I'd agree that, by definition, they're past their "Prime," given the standards of Hell Awaits and Reign in Blood... but they're still putting out very good material.

screamformelongbeach
12-11-2006, 11:04 AM
I can't speak for their live shows, but I love the new album. I thought Slayer's down period was the mid-Nineties, but they've been on the upswing since Diabolus.

I guess on second thought I'd agree that, by definition, they're past their "Prime," given the standards of Hell Awaits and Reign in Blood... but they're still putting out very good material.

Fair enough. The new stuff just isn't my cup of tea, but I will grant you that the new album is their best since Divine Intervention...most likely because Dave Lombardo is back on drums.

And seriously, there is nothing on this planet like a live Slayer show...even if they've lost a little off their fastball. Pure brutality. In fact Rolling Stone magazine once described their live show as being like "the war photos the Pentagon won't let you see." You MUST catch one of their shows before they retire.

Condemned 2 HelLA
12-11-2006, 01:12 PM
And seriously, there is nothing on this planet like a live Slayer show...even if they've lost a little off their fastball. Pure brutality. In fact Rolling Stone magazine once described their live show as being like "the war photos the Pentagon won't let you see." You MUST catch one of their shows before they retire.

Again, once they passed their "golden age", the luster wore off.
I first saw them in '84, right before "Haunting the Chapel" came out, and I was blown away at violent the show was. Saw them in '86 right after "Reign..." came out and it was still amazing. But as the years have passed, their shows aren't as brutal, and they have gotten lapped by some of the newer bands on the scene.
Do yourself a favor:
next time Immolation come to your town, be sure to catch them live.
They are far more brutal and way more angry than Slayer EVER were.

ObiwanGinobili
12-11-2006, 02:00 PM
well stone sour (puke) doesnt; belong.
Ministry should win - but they won't.

I bet teh award goes to Slayer :rolleyes

ObiwanGinobili
12-11-2006, 02:02 PM

how sad has america become that we actullay have "popular mainstream death metal" :depressed

screamformelongbeach
12-11-2006, 04:46 PM
Again, once they passed their "golden age", the luster wore off.
I first saw them in '84, right before "Haunting the Chapel" came out, and I was blown away at violent the show was. Saw them in '86 right after "Reign..." came out and it was still amazing. But as the years have passed, their shows aren't as brutal, and they have gotten lapped by some of the newer bands on the scene.
Do yourself a favor:
next time Immolation come to your town, be sure to catch them live.
They are far more brutal and way more angry than Slayer EVER were.

Thanks, I will check out Immolation. For you, I recommend the band 1349. They're regarded as black metal, but they are the most brutal, violent black metal band I've ever heard. And they have one of the best extreme drummers around, a dude named Frost (the same Frost from Satyricon, but Satyricon wastes his talent and speed, much like driving a Ferrari at 30 mph all day). Download "Sculptor of Flesh" or "Blood is the Mortar," or check out the Sculptor video on youtube.com. You won't be disappointed.

slayermin
12-11-2006, 06:05 PM
The pinnacle of Slayer was South of Heaven. All of their stuff after South of Heaven was good but it wasn't great.

I saw Slayer at Sunken Gardens during the Divine Intervention tour and it was everything I expected and wanted it to be. The pit was incredible and as intense. Only the pit at Pantera/Sepultura in South Park Meadows was more intense.

Mininstry is considered metal? To me, they are more like Korn or Nine Inch Nails which isn't metal, imo.

Condemned 2 HelLA
12-12-2006, 02:01 AM
Thanks, I will check out Immolation. For you, I recommend the band 1349. They're regarded as black metal, but they are the most brutal, violent black metal band I've ever heard. And they have one of the best extreme drummers around, a dude named Frost (the same Frost from Satyricon, but Satyricon wastes his talent and speed, much like driving a Ferrari at 30 mph all day). Download "Sculptor of Flesh" or "Blood is the Mortar," or check out the Sculptor video on youtube.com. You won't be disappointed.

Yeah, I know of 1349.
I have their very first ep that came out on some small indie label out of Virginia.
They actually played out here in early October. My friend's band (Nokturne) opened up for them at the gig. Reports were that they went over pretty well. Frost didn't play the show, since he has a record in Norway and he couldn't gain access into the country (Tony Lazaro, who I believe is with Vital Remains these days filled in for Frost). I wanted to go but I had to work that night. I DID get to see Destroyer 666 the next night. They are from Australia (in the event you hadn't heard of them) and play more of a thrash/death style of black metal. They only pulled maybe 150 people at this little place, but EVERYONE was into it. They even did some Bathory and Venom covers. They did a 10 date tour in early October and they did manage to hit Austin as one of their stops.
In the event you hadn't heard early Satyricon, definately get ahold of "Dark Medieval Times" (their debut and best album, imo), "The Shadowthrone" and "Nemesis Divina" (probably their fastest release). I do like "Now, Diabolical", but compared to the 3 discs that I've suggested here, that one isn't really up to snuff. Saw them open up for Suffocation and Deicide a couple of years ago (I left before Deicide came on), and they were okay. They really should've concentrated on the older stuff rather than the "Rebel Extravaganza" and "Volcano" material, but what can you do?
Regarding Immolation, any of their releases are brilliant, but their best albums are their debut album "Dawn of Possession" and (my favorite) "Close to a World Below". For my money, they are the best death metal band on the planet; no one even comes close.
Happy hunting!

screamformelongbeach
12-12-2006, 11:34 AM
Thanks for the info, Condemned. I'll check out Destroyer 666 and Immolation and tell you what I think.

I almost flew out to L.A. to check out that Safari Sam's 1349 show myself, but just had too much going on here in S.A. If Frost had played instead of Tony Laureano (who is also the drummer for Nile, by the way), I would have definitely made the trip. Laureano is a helluva drummer himself, don't get me wrong, but it gave me an excuse not to go. Someone posted a clip from the Safari Sam's show on youtube.com, and it was obvious that the crowd was eating it up.

What pisses me off is that San Antonio just missed out on 1349 in October too, as they opened the first leg of the Celtic Frost tour, and departed a week before the tour arrived in S.A. so they could play the California dates as headliners.

cornbread
12-12-2006, 05:35 PM
Stone Sour??!! Metal?! :lmao :lmao I recently saw their commercial for their new album and Corey looks like the lead singer of the Goo Goo Dolls.

What a sad state of affairs.

Guru of Nothing
12-12-2006, 07:26 PM
Here are the grammy nominees for Best Metal Performance (For solo, duo, group or collaborative performances, with vocals. Singles or Tracks only.)

* Redneck
Lamb Of God
Track from: Sacrament
[Epic]

* Colony Of Birchmen
Mastodon
Track from: Blood Mountain
[Reprise/Relapse Records]

* Lies, Lies, Lies
Ministry
Track from: Rio Grande Blood
[13th Planet Records/Megaforce Records]

* Eyes Of The Insane
Slayer
Track from: Christ Illusion
[American]

* 30/30-150
Stone Sour
[Roadrunner Records]

Now I ask you metal heads. Which band/song does not belong?

Which band do you think will win? We all know grammys are a popularity contest but if the band that does not belong wins this award I will consider offing myself.

This belongs in the "I'd like to call a friend" forum.

Leetonidas
12-12-2006, 08:47 PM
I don't particularly think any of those bands deserve to win.

Cant_Be_Faded
12-12-2006, 10:58 PM
It actually pains me to say it, but they are past their prime. However, keep in mind that Slayer in its prime was the greatest metal group of all time. So Slayer past its prime is better than 99% of the other metal acts around.

And I've seen Slayer about 30 times live, starting with their Cameo Theater show on September 15, 1985 when I was 15 years old. There is definitely a drop-off these days, and the Unholy Alliance show this summer was a bit of a disappointment for me. I know Tom was just coming off of gall bladder surgery, and it was early in the tour, but I've come to expect a lot more from Slayer.

Well as much as you think they suckd in the Unholy Alliance, i saw 3 fights break out and pretty much every guy in the entire arena was headbanging and yelling along to every song they sang....and they sang only 1 or 2 new ones, all old classics....was insanely bad ass for me, but it was my first Slayer concert.

Cant_Be_Faded
12-12-2006, 11:01 PM
That Unholy Alliance tour was the WORST show I went to this year!
13 song set, didn't get to any of the good old songs (Chemical Warfare) until halfway through the set, and then they only played 5 songs that were recorded from '86 or before, not to mention the fact they didn't even play any encores.
That whole goddamn gig was a big MySpace field trip to a Hot Topic store.
I really wanted my money back after that show.
If I knew Mastodon were going to be doing their own headlining club tour 2 months later, I could've saved my money for that instead.
SFMLB-there's plenty of good death/black metal out there if you know where to look, but just don't depend on that pathetic excuse of a show called "Headbanger's Ball" to point it out for you. Generally speaking, most vids they play on that show are by bands that must have compromising pix of label execs that they'll threaten to make public if their bands don't get any airplay.

First of all they started out with South of Heaven and that was ridiculous in itself, second of all name one or two other fucking bands that have been around for more than 20 years that play FIVE songs from pre-86 then I will gladly repost in this thread and call myself chode bloaded.

I went to ministry this year, they played all of no songs pre 86
I went to kmfdm this year, they played all of 1 song from pre 86
I went to gwar this year, they played all of NO songs from pre 86

you're bitching about 5 songs pre 86 sounds kinda lame to me

I am no Slayer veteran but i came away from that show satisified

TheSanityAnnex
12-12-2006, 11:09 PM
since when did metal fans care about awards?

Seriously.

Back in my metal phase, I could give a shit less about awards....................especially a "metal grammy" :lmao

Condemned 2 HelLA
12-13-2006, 12:26 AM
name one or two other fucking bands that have been around for more than 20 years that play FIVE songs from pre-86 then I will gladly repost in this thread and call myself chode bloaded.

1)Judas Priest
2)Iron Maiden

Edit:
Late (yet important) addition:
3)Motorhead

screamformelongbeach
12-13-2006, 12:53 AM
1)Judas Priest
2)Iron Maiden

Add:

King Diamond/Mercyful Fate
Dio
Venom
Black Sabbath
Ozzy
Yngwie
Scorpions

That's just off the top of my head.

Leetonidas
12-13-2006, 01:08 AM
Scorpions ftw.

blaze89
12-13-2006, 01:19 AM
how sad has america become that we actullay have "popular mainstream death metal" :depressed

I never thought those words would ever be put together like that.

The pinnacle of Slayer was South of Heaven. All of their stuff after South of Heaven was good but it wasn't great.

I saw Slayer at Sunken Gardens during the Divine Intervention tour and it was everything I expected and wanted it to be. The pit was incredible and as intense.

I was in the pit for that one, fell about 4 feet onto my knee, hitting the curb that seperated the asphalt to the grass.

I thought Seasons in the Abyss was the best effort (away from Reign In Blood)

The "Metal Grammy" is a joke, has been and always will be. The Jethro Tull thing back in the 80s set it off but it was the fact that Metallica (if I recall) won the award consecutively for the same song the next year, done like a do-over.

screamformelongbeach
12-13-2006, 01:45 AM
Well as much as you think they suckd in the Unholy Alliance, i saw 3 fights break out and pretty much every guy in the entire arena was headbanging and yelling along to every song they sang....and they sang only 1 or 2 new ones, all old classics....was insanely bad ass for me, but it was my first Slayer concert.

I know it sounds cliched to have an "old-timer" pontificate about the good ol' days, but it really is true in this case. As good as Slayer was for you this summer on the Unholy Alliance tour, try to imagine seeing them back in the mid-80s at the Villa Fontana (where they played the infamous S.A. Slayer vs. L.A. Slayer show), the Cameo Theater, Randy's Rodeo (blowing away headliner W.A.S.P. and supporting act Raven) or the Showcase Special Events Center on West Avenue. Believe me when I tell you there is no comparison whatsoever. It's maybe not as drastic a difference as seeing Metallica at the Cameo in 1984 vs. seeing The Band Formerly Known as Metallica play their commercial crap now at the SBC Center, but I think you get the idea.

Sense
12-13-2006, 02:21 AM
Screw metal! It's all about RAP!

:fro