PDA

View Full Version : Mavs frontrunner for Iverson?

Doug Collins
12-09-2006, 10:56 AM
Just saw this on Yahoo Sports if it has already been posted please delete.

The move wouldn't make much sense to me, but whatever.

link (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AsYvNT8DHrlBpBOT2bJY8885nYcB?slug=aw-iverson120806&prov=yhoo&type=lgns)

Mavs, C's eye A.I.
By Adrian Wojnarowski, Yahoo! Sports
December 8, 2006

Adrian Wojnarowski
Yahoo! Sports
The Dallas Mavericks and Boston Celtics have emerged as the leaders to trade for disgruntled Philadelphia 76ers star Allen Iverson, league executives told Yahoo! Sports on Friday night.

According to sources, 76ers general manager Billy King has targeted Mavericks guard Devin Harris – a favorite of the executive's going back to Harris' college days at Wisconsin – as a primary piece to a potential package with Dallas.

Mavericks owner Mark Cuban wouldn't deny that he's engaged in trying to make a deal for Iverson but wrote in an email to Yahoo! Sports on Friday night, "We wouldn't trade Devin."

King has been telling teams that he wants a combination of expiring contracts, young players and draft picks for Iverson. Sixers owner, Ed Snider, flatly said Friday night: "We'll trade him."

Several teams in the past few days have expressed interest in the 2001 NBA MVP and four-time league scoring champion, including the Denver Nuggets – who like Boston – discussed those trade possibilities with the 76ers before last June's NBA draft.

ADVERTISEMENT
The Celtics have a deep roster of young players, including forward Al Jefferson and guards Delonte West, Sebastian Telfair and Rajon Rondo, to send to Philadelphia. Also, they have the weighty veteran contract of Theo Ratliff to help balance Iverson's contract in a deal.

The Minnesota Timberwolves, with a possible package of Ricky Davis and rookie guard Randy Foye out of Villanova, is also believed to be a factor.

What had long been a tumultuous relationship between Iverson and the 76ers reached a breaking point this week.

As the New York Post initially reported on Friday, Iverson asked King for a trade on Tuesday and the G.M. soon thereafter started exploring possible deals around the league. After missing practice on Thursday and a shootaround on Friday with apparent back spasms, Iverson said he was well enough to play in Philadelphia's game against Washington on Friday night.

However, Iverson said 76ers coach Maurice Cheeks told him to stay away from the Wachovia Center and informed Iverson that he wouldn't be traveling to Orlando for a Saturday meeting with the Magic.

After getting banished for two games, Iverson issued a statement through his agent Leon Rose that sounded like he was resigned to the inevitability of a trade. More and more, it sounds like his 11-year career in Philadelphia is coming to a close.

"As hard as it is to admit, a change may be the best thing for everyone," Iverson said. "I hate admitting that because I love the guys on the team and the city of Philadelphia. I truly wanted to retire a 76er."

Adrian Wojnarowski is the national NBA columnist for Yahoo! Sports.

baseline bum
12-09-2006, 11:00 AM
Dallas won't trade freaking Devin Harris to get Iverson? WTF do they expect? Devean George + Austin Croshere + Anthony Johnson for AI?

JMarkJohns
12-09-2006, 11:05 AM
Memphis should go after him. Eddie Jones' expiring 16 mill plus Hakim Warrick should be enticing. Maybe if Memphis throws in Lowry or is open to taking on Willie Green for Stoudamire, this could work and make sense at the same time.

Doug Collins
12-09-2006, 11:40 AM
Dallas won't trade freaking Devin Harris to get Iverson? WTF do they expect? Devean George + Austin Croshere + Anthony Johnson for AI?

I'm sure JET would be thrown in there somewhere, but this makes no sense for Dallas. Cuban has to be bored and just wants to fuck around.

The_Game
12-09-2006, 11:50 AM
iverson better not go to dallas

dirk4mvp
12-09-2006, 11:51 AM
I don't see why Dallas would want to mess up the chemistry they got going on with Iverson's egotistical ass....

Doug Collins
12-09-2006, 11:56 AM
Dallas has chemistry??????

Burn

dirk4mvp
12-09-2006, 11:58 AM

yes

burn

no

ShoogarBear
12-09-2006, 12:07 PM
It's going to have to be a whole lot more than Harris for cap purposes. Something like Harris + Stackhouse + Diop (and I presume draft picks).

velik_m
12-09-2006, 12:15 PM
Maybe Cuban can trade Finley's contract?

FromWayDowntown
12-09-2006, 12:26 PM
I actually would love it if the Mavericks dealt for Iverson. Cuban would have to gut his team to get that done. Adding Iverson to a group that doesn't share the ball well in the first place doesn't strike me as a chemistry issue or anything like that. But AJ would certainly lose his ability to pick and choose and have his bench come at teams in waves, which I think is a strength for the Mavericks. Cuban could try to replenish his depth by other deals later on this season, but I'd be skeptical about whether they could incorporate a bunch of new guys into their system in time to be ready for a playoff run.

All in all, I hope Cuban pulls the trigger on this one.

LEONARD
12-09-2006, 12:40 PM
Please no...

It'll never happen anyway...

ShoogarBear
12-09-2006, 12:40 PM
While I figure Dirk and AI could co-exist, I have to think that Terry and Howard would hate it, because their touches would drop waay off unless Iverson is really willing to reinvent himself as a distributor. And yes, their bench would be gutted.

shelshor
12-09-2006, 01:00 PM
I actually would love it if the Mavericks dealt for Iverson. Cuban would have to gut his team to get that done. Adding Iverson to a group that doesn't share the ball well in the first place doesn't strike me as a chemistry issue or anything like that. But AJ would certainly lose his ability to pick and choose and have his bench come at teams in waves, which I think is a strength for the Mavericks. Cuban could try to replenish his depth by other deals later on this season, but I'd be skeptical about whether they could incorporate a bunch of new guys into their system in time to be ready for a playoff run.

All in all, I hope Cuban pulls the trigger on this one.
:downspin: And the battle of wills :bang between AJ and AI would provide some amusing moments

polandprzem
12-09-2006, 01:05 PM
This trade would make a Dallas an instant Champion.

The chemistry would not have a chance for screwing up

Leetonidas
12-09-2006, 01:11 PM
Of course the smart Dallas fans (and I rarely say that) know that having Iverson would fuck their team up, mainly because they'd have to trade some important pieces. Iverson wouldn't fit in there.

But of course, the Dirk troll will be all over AI's nuts.

DirkAB
12-09-2006, 01:37 PM
No way this happens, it makes absolutely no sense what-so-ever. The media whore Cuban is just looking for attention, he must be feeling neglected.

Bob Lanier
12-09-2006, 02:44 PM
Adding Iverson to a group that doesn't share the ball well in the first place doesn't strike me as a chemistry issue or anything like that.
To be something other than completely unfair, even a Spurs fan should note that the Mavs don't have a problem "not sharing the ball", only that they do not shoot many of the spot-up jumpshots that rack up assists. Their offense is mostly a series of weaves leading to layups or midrange jumpers off the dribble.

But you are certainly right that Iverson is a chemistry problem waiting to happen for any team.

If it were me, I'd rather have Terry+Harris than Iverson.

Memphis would be a very interesting option, since it would give Iverson a dominant post scorer to play off of for the first time in his career.

nkdlunch
12-09-2006, 02:47 PM
Please CUban do it! trade Stackhouse, Terry/Harris and somone else. that would mean we are guaranteed to go to the finals

LaMarcus Bryant
12-09-2006, 02:48 PM
rofl
dallas is such a lame ass team

ATX Spur
12-09-2006, 03:42 PM
Please send Iverson to Dallas for Harris/Stack/Croshere/dirk4mvp, etc.

Dallas' bench would be the corpse of Devean George and not much else.
I'd love to watch AI and Dirk fight over who gets the ball at the end of games.

mavsfan1000
12-09-2006, 03:44 PM
Please don't let this happen. Iverson will be a chemistry killer. Iverson and Terry would be a terrible backcourt on defense.

Mr.Bottomtooth
12-09-2006, 04:21 PM
Dirk Nowitzki is in heaven right now. Webber AND Iverson???

Dirk Nowitzki
12-09-2006, 04:59 PM
:pctoss Cuban you son of a bitch GET CHRIS WEBBER FUCK IVERSON! We already have 2 star guards in Harris/JET. I WANT WEBBER... AGAIN,FUCK IVERSON!! :madrun

mavsfan1000
12-09-2006, 05:05 PM
Fuck both of them. Philly sucks.

RonMexico
12-09-2006, 05:06 PM
Please send Iverson to Dallas for Harris/Stack/Croshere/dirk4mvp, etc.

Dallas' bench would be the corpse of Devean George and not much else.
I'd love to watch AI and Dirk fight over who gets the ball at the end of games.

That's not much of a fight - AI would show Dirk how much he has choked over the years and then take the ball away from him.

ATX Spur
12-09-2006, 05:06 PM
Iverson (17.1M) to Dallas

Harris (3.2M)
Stackhouse (9.3M)
Diop (2.0M)
Johnson (2.6M)
2008 1st Rd Pick to Philadelphia

Fits perfectly. Someone please fax this to the AAC, ATTN: Mark Cuban. Thanks.

RonMexico
12-09-2006, 05:07 PM
I only support this trade if dirk4mvp is included and has to become a Philly homer and start touting that the Sixers are now "arguably" the best team in the Atlantic because they have Croshere, Johnson, Harris and Webber.

Amarelooms
12-09-2006, 05:29 PM

Harris (3.2M)
Stackhouse (9.3M)
Diop (2.0M)
Johnson (2.6M)

Fits perfectly. Someone please fax this to the AAC, ATTN: Mark Cuban. Thanks.

Ummm sorry way too much to give up for the Mavs. Any deal will have to involve Croshere.

ShoogarBear
12-09-2006, 05:30 PM

Harris (3.2M)
Stackhouse (9.3M)
Diop (2.0M)
Johnson (2.6M)

Fits perfectly. Someone please fax this to the AAC, ATTN: Mark Cuban. Thanks.Actually, they can do the deal without giving up Johnson, at least according to RealGM.

td4mvp21
12-09-2006, 05:31 PM
Ummm sorry way too much to give up for the Mavs. Any deal will have to involve Croshere.

Well they aren't gonna get Iverson on a silver platter.

Amarelooms
12-09-2006, 05:31 PM
Actually, they can do the deal without giving up Johnson, at least according to RealGM.

Cuban should offer Stack, Croshere and a 1st round pick...nothing more.

Amarelooms
12-09-2006, 05:32 PM
Well they aren't gonna get Iverson on a silver platter.

WGAS...if Philly can get a better deal then good for them. Mavs need to go after a bigger guard like Paul Pierce.

ATX Spur
12-09-2006, 05:34 PM
Actually, they can do the deal without giving up Johnson, at least according to RealGM.

They might have to wait until after December 15th to make a trade then. When more of their contracts become tradeable.

Horry For 3!
12-09-2006, 05:35 PM
Celtics have better young players and in the position that the 76ers need to fill.

Delonte West was dominating as a PG with starter mins last season.
Telfair is decent and young.
Rondo is a promising young talent.
Jefferson is what they would like the most as they need someone fill their PF problem. Webber is old and pretty much done. Randolph will never be that good.

West
Rondo
Jefferson
Pick

for

Iverson

Horry For 3!
12-09-2006, 05:36 PM
P.S. I hope that trade happens that I just posted, I need West to be back as PG and gettin starter mins. (at least for my fantasy team :))

Amarelooms
12-09-2006, 05:37 PM
No team is going to give Philly a crazy deal...why should they....Philly has to trade him or risk dealing with an ugly situation.

ATX Spur
12-09-2006, 05:38 PM

Croshere makes too much, Amarelooms. The Sixers would have to package another player or reconfigure the people they'd request of the Mavs.

Either way, swap out Anthony for Croshere and it's basically the same deal. No way Dallas gets a player of Iverson's caliber without giving up at least Harris and Stack.

I thought I was being pretty tame. One could easily throw in Howard or Terry. It's not like Cuban hasn't put his cart before the horse before and traded away core pieces to get an All-Star in return.

Horry For 3!
12-09-2006, 05:38 PM
PG West
SG Iguodala
SF Carney
PF Jefferson
C Dalembert

Looks pretty nice to me, at least on paper it does. Young but promising.

Amarelooms
12-09-2006, 05:41 PM
Croshere makes too much, Amarelooms. The Sixers would have to package another player or reconfigure the people they'd request of the Mavs.

Either way, swap out Anthony for Croshere and it's basically the same deal. No way Dallas gets a player of Iverson's caliber without giving up at least Harris and Stack.

I thought I was being pretty tame. One could easily throw in Howard or Terry. It's not like Cuban hasn't put his cart before the horse before and traded away core pieces to get an All-Star in return.

HAHAHA Howard and Terry? LOL...you are insane. AI shoots like 40% and is what 6 feet tall??? Mavs probably won't get him anyway but any deal will HAVE TO involve Croshere...no way around it.

ShoogarBear
12-09-2006, 05:44 PM
West
Rondo
Jefferson
Pick

for

IversonSalaries don't match. In fact, Boston giving up Telfair, Jefferson, Green, Rondo, and West STILL doesn't match.

They'd have to work either Wally or Theo Ratliff in, and neither one is an expiring contact.

If they're looking for cap room, Dallas is the place to go. If they want young players, it's Boston. If they want both, then a Mavs deal including Harris seems to be the best option.

Horry For 3!
12-09-2006, 05:46 PM
Salaries don't match. In fact, Boston giving up Telfair, Jefferson, Green, Rondo, and West STILL doesn't match.

They'd have to work either Wally or Theo Ratliff in, and neither one is an expiring contact.

If they're looking for cap room, Dallas is the place to go. If they want young players, it's Boston. If they want both, then a Mavs deal including Harris seems to be the best option.
Well like I said earlier in the thread, Cuban says he won't trade Harris. But who knows, with Cuban. But if Cuban does decide to give up Harris then yeah, I believe the Mavs would do the trade.

ShoogarBear
12-09-2006, 05:47 PM
HAHAHA Howard and Terry? LOL...you are insane. AI shoots like 40% and is what 6 feet tall??? Mavs probably won't get him anyway but any deal will HAVE TO involve Croshere...no way around it.No it doesn't. If they trade Stackhouse (expiring contract) they can others without trading Croshere.

ATX Spur
12-09-2006, 05:50 PM
HAHAHA Howard and Terry? LOL...you are insane. AI shoots like 40% and is what 6 feet tall??? Mavs probably won't get him anyway but any deal will HAVE TO involve Croshere...no way around it.

Did you even read what I said, kid? I didn't include Terry or Howard, because I don't think Cuban would trade them.

Amarelooms
12-09-2006, 05:51 PM
No it doesn't. If they trade Stackhouse (expiring contract) they can others without trading Croshere.

Mavs want to get rid of Croshere genius....if the Sixers want Harris they need to include someone else with AI plain and simple.

ATX Spur
12-09-2006, 05:51 PM
any deal will HAVE TO involve Croshere...no way around it.

P.S. They can't trade Croshere until after December 15.

ATX Spur
12-09-2006, 05:52 PM
Mavs want to get rid of Croshere genius....if the Sixers want Harris they need to include someone else with AI plain and simple.

Apparently, it's not that plain and simple to you.

Amarelooms
12-09-2006, 05:54 PM
Apparently, it's not that plain and simple to you.

Dec 15 is 5 days away relax. Stack and Croshere are two expiring contracts...that's hard as hell to get. Sixers aren't going any where this year....it's time to rebuild. If they want a PG i give them Anthony Johnson.

ATX Spur
12-09-2006, 05:57 PM
Dec 15 is 5 days away relax. Stack and Croshere are two expiring contracts...that's hard as hell to get. Sixers aren't going any where this year....it's time to rebuild. If they want a PG i give them Anthony Johnson.

That's fine, but if you take out Harris and add Croshere, then the Sixers won't want anything to do with it. They can shop in LA and Boston and get much better offers.

Amarelooms
12-09-2006, 06:00 PM
That's fine, but if you take out Harris and add Croshere, then the Sixers won't want anything to do with it. They can shop in LA and Boston and get much better offers.

If I'm Cuban I tell em best of luck then.....love to hear those better deals. Expiring contracts are what a team that is rebuilding needs.

ATX Spur
12-09-2006, 06:03 PM
If I'm Cuban I tell em best of luck then.....love to hear those better deals. Expiring contracts are what a team that is rebuilding needs.

Chris Webber's 22M comes off the books after next season. They'll probably want young players and draft picks more.

I imagine that Cuban isn't being so stingy in his talks with Billy King.

ChumpDumper
12-09-2006, 06:11 PM
I think Portland could be able to throw something together if Allen feels like making his team relevant again.

NuGGeTs-FaN
12-09-2006, 06:13 PM
AI on the Jailblazers, how ironic :lol

AFBlue
12-09-2006, 06:16 PM
Cuban said preliminarily that he wouldn't give up Harris, who is honestly the only developmental player the Sixers would want. That means he'd have to give up a guy like Terry.

Terry + Diop + (other sub-5mil player) would do it...

Honestly though, I'd put the odds of it happening at far less than a couple other teams...

AFBlue
12-09-2006, 06:17 PM
I think Portland could be able to throw something together if Allen feels like making his team relevant again.

AI for Randolph and a #1, but I doubt it'll happen.

ChumpDumper
12-09-2006, 06:18 PM
AI for Randolph and a #1, but I doubt it'll happen.Nah, Magloire and some young dudes and picks for AI and a couple of minimum big guys.

AFBlue
12-09-2006, 06:20 PM
Nah, Magloire and some young dudes and picks for AI and a couple of minimum big guys.
Problem is Magliore only makes about $8 mil. That's only about half of what is needed to make the deal work. It'd have to be Magliore plus about 4 rookie contracts to make that deal work...not gonna happen.

EDIT: Unless they're under the salary cap?

Mr.Bottomtooth
12-09-2006, 06:25 PM
4-TEAM TRADE

HAWKS RECEIVE:
RONNIE PRICE
NENAD KRSTIC
JEFF McINNIS
LOUIS WILLIAMS
1st Round Pick from Nets
2nd Round Pick from 76ERS
1st Round Pick from Kings

NETS RECEIVE:
KYLE KORVER
CHRIS WEBBER
FRANCISCO GARCIA
SALIM STOUDAMIRE
ZAZA PACHULIA

76ERS RECEIVE:
MIKE BIBBY
SHAREEF ABDUR-RAHIM
VINCE CARTER
JASON COLLINS
MARVIN WILLIAMS

KINGS RECEIVE:
ALLEN IVERSON
STEVEN HUNTER
SOLOMON JONES
1st Round Pick from 76ERS

Don't know if this will work out chemistry-wise, but I was just fucking around at ESPN Trade Machine and I came upon this. And I do know the odds of this are 1,000,000/1.

alamo50
12-09-2006, 06:28 PM
AI will go to Denver and nowhere else.

informant troll
12-09-2006, 06:31 PM
My sources indicate that this trade is very unlikely.

ShoogarBear
12-09-2006, 06:35 PM
Chris Webber is a true untradeable I think. Why would the Nets want him, especially if they had to give up VC?

NuGGeTs-FaN
12-09-2006, 06:44 PM
AI will go to Denver and nowhere else.

Bearup has said JR wont be in any trade for AI. If the Nuggets get AI it won't include JR.

ChumpDumper
12-09-2006, 07:32 PM
Problem is Magliore only makes about $8 mil. That's only about half of what is needed to make the deal work. It'd have to be Magliore plus about 4 rookie contracts to make that deal work.Magloire and a couple of young guys who make $2.5 to $3 million would do it.

dallasmavsnfuego214
12-09-2006, 08:36 PM
Of course the smart Dallas fans (and I rarely say that) know that having Iverson would fuck their team up, mainly because they'd have to trade some important pieces. Iverson wouldn't fit in there.

exactly. we already have a young team chemistry.
Cuban's not that dumb. they would want a lot of our younger players. better not happen

Shank
12-10-2006, 12:35 AM
The talk among some Mavs employees tonight was that Devin is being considered in a trade. They may have just been referencing this column, but that was the word.

dirk4mvp
12-10-2006, 12:39 AM
http://www.imagedonkey.com/out.php/i432_shockeyshocked.gif

Best sig ever

atxrocker
12-10-2006, 03:10 AM
The talk among some Mavs employees tonight was that Devin is being considered in a trade. They may have just been referencing this column, but that was the word.

harris is much less than martin, no matter what. i'm a big harris fan, but the mav's need to be careful where they move him. they don't want devin to come back around and bite them on their ass. i want to see harris succeed.

lefty
12-10-2006, 03:14 AM
I could see Iverson with Indianapolis ; nothing is working for the Pacers

Memphis is interesting too ; trade Eddie Jones+Damon for Iverson

atxrocker
12-10-2006, 03:35 AM
I could see Iverson with Indianapolis ; nothing is working for the Pacers

Memphis is interesting too ; trade Eddie Jones+Damon for Iverson

indy for who? who goes? o'neal is near untouchable, who know's what could happen.

i agree, memphis could be very interesting in playing out. love to get eddie or damon in a kings uni.

NBA Junkie
12-10-2006, 11:08 AM
I'd like to think that Cuban learned his lesson after the Jamison/Walker trades killed the chemistry of the Mavs in '04.

That said, I'd love to see Iverson on the Mavs. He would ruin everything they had going there.

kinbenzoo
12-10-2006, 02:04 PM
yessssssssssss

Bob Lanier
12-10-2006, 02:55 PM
indy for who? who goes? o'neal is near untouchable, who know's what could happen.
Why is O'Neal untouchable? He's injury-prone, obviously no more a "franchise player" than Iverson is, and has never justified his enormous salary.

Quite frankly he's one of the most overrated players in the NBA today.

Tinsley+O'Neal for Iverson+Dalembert would seem an even trade that could benefit both teams.

Tinsley-----------Iverson
Iguodala---------Jackson
Korver-----------Granger
Webber----------Harrington
O'Neal-----------Dalembert

RonMexico
12-10-2006, 04:11 PM
Why would the Sixers want two injury-prone overrated PFs on their team (O'Neal and Webber)? I guess they'd be giving up the hasn't-lived-up-to-his-potential-yet Dalembert.

Bob Lanier
12-10-2006, 04:20 PM
Equivocating between O'Neal's frequent minor bumps and overuse injuries and Webber's permanent complete lack of athleticism isn't really fair.

They would want O'Neal because he's the best deal they could get - and if they could unload If-I-only-had-a-brain Dalembert's contract at the same time, they would jump at the chance.

RonMexico
12-10-2006, 04:32 PM
I still don't know if Larry Bird would even want that deal - if they could get rid of Stephen Jackson, then I would even make that trade.

AFBlue
12-10-2006, 05:54 PM
Equivocating between O'Neal's frequent minor bumps and overuse injuries and Webber's permanent complete lack of athleticism isn't really fair.

They would want O'Neal because he's the best deal they could get - and if they could unload If-I-only-had-a-brain Dalembert's contract at the same time, they would jump at the chance.

If the Sixers are looking to move Iverson, I would think they would like to take back young players with upside and picks, not other superstars....

mabber
12-11-2006, 01:55 PM
To be something other than completely unfair, even a Spurs fan should note that the Mavs don't have a problem "not sharing the ball", only that they do not shoot many of the spot-up jumpshots that rack up assists. Their offense is mostly a series of weaves leading to layups or midrange jumpers off the dribble.

But you are certainly right that Iverson is a chemistry problem waiting to happen for any team.

If it were me, I'd rather have Terry+Harris than Iverson.

Memphis would be a very interesting option, since it would give Iverson a dominant post scorer to play off of for the first time in his career.

Wow, this was the very first time I've read on this board where someone actually understood the Mav offense. Nice job...Bull fan!

By the way, I was a big Bob Lanier fan when I was a young kid. The Pistons were one of my favorite teams back then.

AI isn't coming to Dallas!

DarkReign
12-11-2006, 02:04 PM
Wow, this was the very first time I've read on this board where someone actually understood the Mav offense. Nice job...Bull fan!

By the way, I was a big Bob Lanier fan when I was a young kid. The Pistons were one of my favorite teams back then.

AI isn't coming to Dallas!

He is a traitor. Dont listen to him, PLUG YOUR EARS!

LAAAAAAAAlalalalalalalalaaaaallalalalaaaaaaaaaaa!