PDA

View Full Version : Xmas trees removed from Sea-Tac

01Snake
12-09-2006, 11:30 PM
Xmas trees removed from Sea-Tac

05:57 PM PST on Saturday, December 9, 2006

By KIM HOLCOMB / KING 5 News

No menorah, no tree

SEA-TAC Airport - All of the Christmas trees inside the terminal at Sea-Tac have been removed in response to a complaint by a rabbi.

A local rabbi wanted to install an 8-foot menorah and have a public lighting ceremony. He threatened to sue if the menorah wasn’t put up, and gave a two-day deadline to remove the trees.

Sea-Tac public affairs manager Terri-Ann Betancourt said the trees that adorn the Sea-Tac upper and lower levels may not properly represent all cultures.

She said that since this is their busiest time of year and they don't have time to add a fair representation of all cultures, her department decided to take down all of the decorations, review their policies, and decide if they need to make a change for next year.

A worker puts away a Christmas tree at Sea-Tac.

"You know, our focus is on customer service, getting our passengers through the airport, and we thought if we could take the trees down and avoid litigation because we don't want to littigate with this individual, we want to reach some kind of solution," Betancourt said. "But that is going to take some thoughtful discussion and we would like to have time to have that thoughtful discussion."

Until then, no Christmas decor at Sea-Tac.

The same decorations have been put up for at least 10 years, she added.

Extra Stout
12-10-2006, 01:10 AM
Why couldn't they put up the menorah? That would have been cool. Then they could do a skit where a plane with one hour worth of jet fuel miraculously is able to circle the airport for eight.

exstatic
12-10-2006, 11:11 AM
Why couldn't they put up the menorah? That would have been cool. Then they could do a skit where a plane with one hour worth of jet fuel miraculously is able to circle the airport for eight.
So, you've been to SeaTac, then...

TheSanityAnnex
12-10-2006, 12:19 PM
Should have posted this here instead of the club.

http://www.jimuhing.com/jimsworld/emails/noxmas.swf

Trainwreck2100
12-10-2006, 12:29 PM
They should have made inter-religion christmas trees???

xrayzebra
12-10-2006, 04:59 PM
But, but didn't someone say just the other day, no one is attacking Christmas.
Seems as though someone didn't get the message.

ChumpDumper
12-10-2006, 05:04 PM
:lol

Are you saying this jewish guy was attacking Christmas?

xrayzebra
12-10-2006, 05:06 PM
:lol

Are you saying this jewish guy was attacking Christmas?

What do you think?

ATX Spur
12-10-2006, 05:07 PM
Lame. SeaTac is ugly. It probably could have used the Christmas trees.

xrayzebra
12-10-2006, 05:10 PM
I just hope that they recycled them. You know how those folks up there are about
hurting Mother Nature and her children. The trees.

Well maybe they were fake. Otherwise they may have gotten into trouble with
the environmentalist. Got to be careful now days and not offend anyone, except
the Christians. It's okay to offend them.

ChumpDumper
12-10-2006, 05:15 PM
What do you think?I think he wanted a big ass menorah there as well.

turambar85
12-10-2006, 05:40 PM
But, but didn't someone say just the other day, no one is attacking Christmas.
Seems as though someone didn't get the message.

You just love being the oppressed majority...don't you X?

You are right though. Christians have it bad in this country. All religious displays are Christian. There are public Christian prayers at sporting events. The president is an alleged Christian. Most members of congress are Christian.

Damned Jewish bastard wanted a lousy decoration.

Lynch party any-1?

smeagol
12-10-2006, 09:19 PM
Only in America!

xrayzebra
12-10-2006, 09:22 PM

You are right though. Christians have it bad in this country. All religious displays are Christian. There are public Christian prayers at sporting events. The president is an alleged Christian. Most members of congress are Christian.

Lynch party any-1?

You have a right not to participate, you know.

And you left out that Congress and Supreme Court open
with prayer. Oh-my!

turambar85
12-11-2006, 12:08 AM
You have a right not to participate, you know.

And you left out that Congress and Supreme Court open
with prayer. Oh-my!

I hate to mix issues here...

But you have a right not to participate in gay marraige as well, Mr. X, but you seem to get all worked up about that now don't ya...

Also, would it be the same if they started praying to Allah in Arabic before every major event?

I don't remember, do you have a problem with the claims that the Muslim congressman wantint to swear on a Kuran?

You whine and moan about being oppressed, and only because other groups want 1/10th of the attention that yours gets.

God how I wish that reincarnation was real so that you could come back to life as a Muslim-Mexican/American. That would just light up my life. You would know what it feels like to be oppressed. It might make you stop to think how petty it is to be complaining about some people wanting equality in holiday decorations.

Sad, Sad, Sad.

Trainwreck2100
12-11-2006, 06:47 AM
you'd think it would be less money and trouble and time to put up a single menorah rather than take down all those christmas trees

Then the buddhists will want a buddha there and then the muslims will bitch that they don't have anything to put there. And the atheists will want nothing there at all. Also it's not just a sngle menorah, it's an 8 foot menorrah, where the hell do you get an 8 foot menorrah

Gerryatrics
12-11-2006, 07:12 AM
I don't think the problem is a Rabbi wanting a Menorah display in the airport, the problem is a Rabbi demanding that they put up what he wants or he'll sue. They took everything down because the thought of a lawsuit spooked them. I'm not planning on flying before Christmas so it doesn't really affect me, it's just kind of sad that even Christmas trees no longer fit into our PC/anti-anything-remotely-related-to-Christianity society.

velik_m
12-11-2006, 09:27 AM
you'd think it would be less money and trouble and time to put up a single menorah rather than take down all those christmas trees

Perhaps they were afraid that the menorah would disrupt the feng shui.

sandman
12-11-2006, 11:11 AM
I sincerely hope that the rabbi's first action was not to play the legal action card. From the tone of the article, he was making specific demands and requiring full complicity within his timeframe or else.

The 25th day of Chislev holds significant meaning in both the Judeo and Christian histories. I think the Hannakuh Menorah with the servant candle, the Maccabees, the miracle of the oil and so forth is a great historical story that has much symbolism with the Christian celebration of the birth of Jesus.

I would be all for having both iconic displays together in the airport. Heck, let's even throw in some Kwanzaa, Muslim and Buddhist stuff just to be inclusive, even though none of those have any cultural, historical or religious ties to the Judeo-Christian holidays cebrated in December. I'm sure they would do the same.

ChumpDumper
12-11-2006, 01:15 PM
I'm not planning on flying before Christmas so it doesn't really affect meHow would it affect you at all?

It's a damn airport. Spend the money on more security so we can get through the lines faster and I can put my shoes back on.

xrayzebra
12-11-2006, 03:24 PM

Lynch party any-1?

Mr 85, I am not oppressed or depressed. I am
just pointing out the fact that folks like you don't
seem to realize: Millions can want and enjoy
something and one lousy Rabbi, yeah, a Jew,
can look at it as he is being left out or offended
and change the whole tradition of our country.

You of course, being the educated fool that you
are, would not see that. Now same sex marriage
is your thingy. That is real a civil rights issue while
Christian culture which got you where you are,
is not a civil rights issue. You must have the
right to screw some other guy in the butt or
take his member in your mouth or put on a dildo
and stick in your lovers vagina or your tongue,
what ever turns you on. That it is a civil rights
issue. You/they have that right now. We "straights"
say fine, do it, just don't pretend that you are
like man and woman, because you damn well
aren't!

Maybe we should embrace it, it at least would
cut down on abortions, which most of you seem
to think doesn't take a human life.

But oppressed, I am not. I have my God and
that is who I embrace and celebrate on the
coming date that was chosen as his birthday.
And to let a simple twerp like you ruin he joy
and good cheer which Christians enjoy. I
don't think so. And the great part is, I know
you will sit down with your family and enjoy the
same. So My Friend. Merry Christmas, Happy
New Year and May God Bless You, Your Family
and Girl Friend.

turambar85
12-11-2006, 06:11 PM

aren't!

and Girl Friend.

Inflating the issue a little bit, don't you think? The rabbi, by making them add a bloody decoration, has single-handedly caused the downfall of American culture. Wow. Impressive move, really.

The rabbi, and others like him, don't want to destroy Christmas, they just want other holidays recognized. You can still sing Jingle Bells underneath the mistletoe while drinking egg-nog. Nobody can nor will take that away. You can still see christmas decorations. However, you will have to suffer through seeing an occassional Jewish decoration. That hardly seems like the life-changing torture that you think it is.

As you said yourself, you don't have to participate. You don't have to convert to Judaism just because you see a decoration. You can continue doing your thing, just with other people doing theirs.

You are such a bloody drama-queen.

Side note, I am pro-choice. Don't lump me with others just because you don't understand that somebody could not toe the party line as you do. And not all conservatives wear George Bush pampers like you do, and can agree with things outside of the regular line of thought.

Also, I am sorry if this "simple twerp" is raining on your parade, but I make, or encourage, no efforts to dissuade you from doing as you please. I will join you on December 25th to celebrate the pagan holiday of christmas beside the Christmas tree-God.

sandman
12-11-2006, 07:55 PM
The rabbi, and others like him, don't want to destroy Christmas, they just want other holidays recognized.

IMO, the story plays out like the airport was open to the idea, but could not comply with the rabbi's imposed two day deadline before legal action was initiated. Am I the only one who thinks that giving a municipally-run facility two days to get ANYTHING done, much less finding and installing an 8-foot Menorah, was a bit unrealistic?

xrayzebra
12-11-2006, 08:12 PM
The drama queen. Indeed. You as stated are nothing more than a person
with no idea of what this country is about. Live in ignorance, my fine educated,
uneducated friend.

turambar85
12-11-2006, 10:35 PM
The drama queen. Indeed. You as stated are nothing more than a person
with no idea of what this country is about. Live in ignorance, my fine educated,
uneducated friend.

Live in ignorance of what? I'm sorry, but I want you to tell me precisely what I do not know about America and its origins. I want you to tell me where I am wrong about freedom of religion. Where I am wrong about the protection from tyranny of the majority and the birth of minority rights. Where in the bloody hell am I wrong about this not being a Christian nation?

Enlighten me. Help this poor educated, yet uneducated man find the truth.

By the way, educated and uneducated is an oxymoron, and doesn't say anything. Next time try educated yet ignorant.

turambar85
12-11-2006, 10:37 PM
IMO, the story plays out like the airport was open to the idea, but could not comply with the rabbi's imposed two day deadline before legal action was initiated. Am I the only one who thinks that giving a municipally-run facility two days to get ANYTHING done, much less finding and installing an 8-foot Menorah, was a bit unrealistic?

Well, as far as my understanding would take me, I believe that he already had, or knew where to get an 8 foot menorah, or else he would not have been so specific.

If I am wrong, then he is wrong, but the situation also remains wrong, as well as peoples reaction to the problem at hand.

xrayzebra
12-12-2006, 10:51 AM
They are going back up. So they said this morning.

FromWayDowntown
12-12-2006, 10:56 AM
They are going back up. So they said this morning.

Undoubtedly a stirring victory for the oppressed majority.

:santahat

xrayzebra
12-12-2006, 10:59 AM
Oh, I don't know. They referred to them as "holiday trees". Not much of a
victory for Christmas.

turambar85
12-12-2006, 11:00 AM
Oh, I don't know. They referred to them as "holiday trees". Not much of a
victory for Christmas.

That must hurt Mr. X, I'm sorry.

xrayzebra
12-12-2006, 11:03 AM
That must hurt Mr. X, I'm sorry.

Ah, yes, me and my shadow. Good morning T85. Slept well I hope.
:sleep

turambar85
12-12-2006, 11:05 AM
Ah, yes, me and my shadow. Good morning T85. Slept well I hope.
:sleep

Just been waiting to hear your replies.

Don't leave me dissapointed.

boutons_
12-12-2006, 11:28 AM
December 12, 2006

Trees Being Returned to SeaTac Airport

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Filed at 6:56 a.m. ET

SEATAC, Wash. (AP) -- Christmas trees are going back up at Seattle-Tacoma International Airport.

Pat Davis, president of the Port of Seattle commission, which directs airport operations, said late Monday that maintenance staff would restore the 14 plastic holiday trees, festooned with red ribbons and bows, that were removed over the weekend because of a rabbi's complaint that holiday decor did not include a menorah.

Airport managers believed that if they allowed the addition of an 8-foot-tall menorah to the display, as Seattle Rabbi Elazar Bogomilsky had requested, they would also have to display symbols of other religions and cultures, which was not something airport workers had time for during the busiest travel season of the year, Airport Director Mark Reis said earlier Monday.

Port officials received word Monday afternoon that Bogomilsky's organization would not file a lawsuit at this time over the placement of a menorah, Davis said in a statement.

''Given that, the holiday trees will be replaced as quickly as possible,'' he said.

Davis added that the rabbi ''never asked us to remove the trees; it was the port's decision based on what we knew at the time.''

There were no immediate plans to display a menorah, airport spokesman Bob Parker said, saying restoration of the trees was expected to take place overnight Monday.

''A key element in moving forward will be to work with the rabbi and other members of the community to develop a plan for next year's holiday decorations at the airport,'' the port statement said.

The rabbi has also offered to give the port an electric menorah to display, said his lawyer, Harvey Grad.

''We are not going to be the instrument by which the port holds Christmas hostage,'' Grad said, emphasizing the rabbi never sought removal of the trees, but addition of the menorah.

The rabbi had received ''all kinds of calls and emails,'' many of them ''odious,'' Grad said, adding he was ''trying to figure out how this is consistent with the spirit of Christmas.''

( they're from "Christians" and racists, always filled with love and tolerance )

Thirteen trees had sat above foyers that lead outside to the airport drive. The largest tree, which Reis estimated to be 15 or 20 feet tall, was placed in a large lobby near baggage claim for international arrivals.

After the removal, some airline workers decorated ticketing counters with their own miniature Christmas trees.

Customer service agents with Frontier Airlines pooled their money Monday morning to buy four 1-foot-high Christmas trees, which they placed on the airline's ticketing counter. Atop a Delta counter, workers put up a tree several feet tall.

The airlines lease space for ticket counters from the airport, and can display trees there if they want, Reis said.

------

On the Net:

www.portofseattle.org (http://www.portofseattle.org)

www.chabad.org (http://www.chabad.org)

=====================

johnsmith
12-12-2006, 11:34 AM
( they're from "Christians" and racists, always filled with love and tolerance )

Yeah, because all Christians are racist and intolerant right? :rolleyes

MaNuMaNiAc
12-12-2006, 11:41 AM

aren't!

and Girl Friend.
:lmao you are the DEFINITION of ignorance

clambake
12-12-2006, 11:42 AM
Hire some people to dress up as hisidic jews. What conveys their religion more than that? I don't think they have to be jewish, per say. I believe the trees are artificial.

sandman
12-12-2006, 11:58 AM
Why would the airport feel compelled to put up other iconic symbols representing other religions and cultures, if those religions and cultures have nothing to do with December 25th?

The menorah I can see, but making it inclusive of all religions? A better use of the PC card is to create displays during the time of year that those other religions and cultures celebrate their own high and holy days.

Johnny_Blaze_47
12-12-2006, 12:17 PM
So they don't have time to put up any other symbols, but they can put up 14 large trees "as quickly as possible."

Anyway, it's nice to see both of them come to a compromise so this can be resolved next season. The last thing anybody wants is for Xray to have to sing spirituals as he's being oppressed.

xrayzebra
12-12-2006, 12:41 PM
:lmao you are the DEFINITION of ignorance

Careful now, you are going to hurt my feelings. :p:

I did make one error in my original post, Jesus birthday. Not God's. The
rest I stick with.

sandman
12-12-2006, 12:42 PM
So they don't have time to put up any other symbols, but they can put up 14 large trees "as quickly as possible."

Anyway, it's nice to see both of them come to a compromise so this can be resolved next season. The last thing anybody wants is for Xray to have to sing spirituals as he's being oppressed.

Er, they already had the trees as part of their inventory? I believe the assertion was that they did not have the time to get the necessary approvals and the subsequent installation of the menorah within the two days deadline.

But we are talking about a government agency here, so I am sure they wanted a committee formed to discuss the matter.

xrayzebra
12-12-2006, 12:43 PM

Johnny my boy, you didn't read my post, obviously. I am not oppressed nor
depressed. Just fed up with PC junk.