PDA

View Full Version : The Shit End Of THe Stick

MannyIsGod
12-10-2006, 04:33 AM
This is probably the most personal thing I've ever posted on Spurstalk. I share a lot on this board, but contrary to what some may think I hold some things very close to my chest. This is something I just want to talk about to people outside of Jess and since I consider some of you very good friends and others will never meet me I guess its as good a place as any. I can't talk to my family about many of these things because it would just make a horrible time harder.

My uncle Danny passed away today. I'm not exactly sure how old he was, but he was in his mid 40s. He's in California so I will not be able to attend the funeral. I come from a poor family, and my mother and aunt can't afford to go so I paid for them rather than go myself. My mother was very close to Danny. I had what I considered a strong bond to him as well, but it had been several years since I had last seen him.

Danny got a really raw fucking deal delt to him. The world is a really cruel place, and I see that when I look at what happend to him. When I was young, I spent my summer's in California with my family. Almost all of them worked in varius fields out there. In the summer it was always strawberry fields. Well, because my entire family worked out there, I would have to go with them and spend the day out there. 90% of the time I spent it with Danny. He drove the trucks that delivered the strawberries to the processing plants, so I would ride around with him when he made the trips. I spent a ton of time around him, and coming from a home with no father he became much like a father to me. I idolized him so much. I would get my mom to buy me clothes like he had because I wanted to dress like him. I got peopel to stop calling me Manuel and to start calling me Manny instead because I wanted to be more like him.

Danny got married eventually and had 2 boys. He was recently divorced because Danny was an Alcoholic and as we later learned a drug addict. He never beat his wife and never mistreated her, but she couldn't handle the blatant alcholism. He spent far too much time drunk. The divorced killed him. I mean that literally. He loved Anna so much and he loved his kids so much it destroyed him completely. He just couldn't stop drinking to save his marriage. I know some people will think that if he loved them so much, he should have just quit the drinking but if only things were that easy. It had such a vicious and nasty grip on him. I don't know whether or not he started using cocaine before or after the divorce, but I do know he was busted recently. He recieved probation and was also ordered to a rehab center. At the time he was also diagnosed with diabetes.

He underwent rehab, and he came out but he came out an alcholic. I don't believe he was using cocaine any longer, but the alcohol was still there. We tried to get him to Texas because California was toxic for him. His ex wife was there and it tore him up to be so close. His kids were there. Just to clear something up as well, Danny was an excellent father, alcoholism or not. He managed to buy a nice house for them, always had them fed, never abused them or anything of the like. He was not a violent drunk or an abusive drunk in any way. He was just a drunk.

Anyhow, my mother tried to get him to Texas, but the State of California dragged their fucking heals on transfering his probation to Texas. Texas already has it on record here, but California would not let him leave. There have been some major miscommunications between the states and a lot of red tape. I can't describe to you how angry it makes me to know that Danny being in Texas may have saved his life, but due to red tape and incompetence he had to stay in California. It got so bad as to where we recieved letters from the probation officer in Texas threatening to revoke his probation if he didn't report. YET CALIFORNIA DIDN"T LET HIM LEAVE THE FUCKING STATE.

In California he was staying with one of my aunts. I love her greatly, but I feel she was very toxic to him as well. Danny was intensely depressed and she's the worst kind of person to be around in that state. She rode him and fought with him constantly over minute shit. I know how she is, and I completely understand how it was there without ever being there for one fight.

Friday, he was sick early in the day. My uncle came over, and they decided to fly my grand parents to California because as bad as he looked they suspected he might be dying. He had recently been somewhat ill and had some fainting spells, but I was never aware that he was close to death. But heres what really makes my blood boil. They decided to fly my grand parents over at 2pm in the afternoon. Danny did not get to a hospital until that night. THAT FUCKING NIGHT. I can't fucking comprehend why on earth you would wait so god damn long to call a fucking ambulance if you suspected he was ill enough to fly over his parents!?!?!?!?!? It just doesn't add up in my head any way I look at it. WHY? WHY WOULD YOUR FIRST REACTION NOT BE TO CALL AN AMBULANCE!?!?!?!?

My mom informed me that all this was happening on Friday night. I was worried, but I don't think I ever suspected the worst. Earlier today I was at my mothers house and we called the hospital to get the news. The nurse told us that his internal organs were poisined but that he was expelling the toxins from his body and they were giving him antibotics. That his body was expelling things was a good sign according to her. She never gave me an official prognosis, but she had an overall positive tone and she sounded upbeat about it.

Less than 2 hours later my aunt called in tears because the doctor had just informed her that Danny would probably not survive the day. His pancrease and kidneys had collapsed and his body was rapidly failing. Later this evening we got the call that Danny had passed away.

I've never had much experience with death. This is the closest person I've ever lost. I'm angry at my aunt and I'm angry at the states. I just feel this wasn't inevitable and there were things that could have been done to prevent it. Danny of course shares a large part of the blame, but I think life treated him so badly there in the end he was just completely broken. I'm not sure Danny wanted to live another day. I spoke to him recently and he didn't sound like a broken man. He sounded like the man I grew up wanting to be exactly like. I hadn't seen him in years, and I won't see him before they bury him. I just wanted to get most of this out and I wanted to say it to someone. I don't want my family to remeber him as a drug addict or drunk. I think they will though.

Insomniac
12-10-2006, 04:44 AM
My condolescens. I'm am truly sorry to hear about your loss.

Kori Ellis
12-10-2006, 04:48 AM
First of all, my deepest condolences to you and your family. I'm glad you had the opportunity to vent here. I'm not sure what you could hear right now to make you feel better ... probably nothing.

It's hard to lose loved ones, especially when you feel like it could have been prevented. All you can do right now is grieve and then live with the lessons you learned from knowing Danny. I'm not talking about lessons from his divorce, drinking or mistakes or anything like that. I'm talking about the lessons that he taught you as a boy about love, about family, about hard work. It might seem right now that your family will only remember him as a drunk or a druggie, but time will change that. I'm sure your mom and you other aunt and everyone else who knew him has some great memories of him just like you do.

Appreciate life. Every day is a blessing.

timvp
12-10-2006, 05:02 AM
Sucks :td

What I've learned throughout life is that there is such a thin line between the good path and the bad path. It's no one's place to judge another person unless you've been in their shoes. People may pass judgement on your uncle for the "wrong" he did in life, but just know it's unfounded.

He sounds like a good man and he was a positive influence in your life and I'm sure other people's too. And when it's all said in done, that's what matters. He touched your life and left a legacy. All the other BS is just perception.

Remembering him for what he meant to you is all you can do at this point. Just know that as long as you remember and follow what you learned from him, your uncle's goodness will live on.

Sorry to hear about your loss and good luck.

ChumpDumper
12-10-2006, 05:18 AM
Sorry to hear about that. It's been a little over a year since my brother passed away right before my eyes. I will probably always question whether something else could have been done; the only solace I find is the time we had together and that he lived his life as fully as he could and just as he wished. I hope you can find something to hold on to at this difficult time as well.

KEDA
12-10-2006, 06:51 AM
Manny,

Im very sorry about your loss. I know how it feels to have a close family member pass on. Just remember all of the good that he brought into your life, and dont listen to all of the other BS. Sounds like he was a great guy to be around when you were growing up, and he still made it a point to be that way when he would speak to you. Just remember those times and forget all the negative stuff.

Ill keep you and your family in my prayers.

JoeChalupa
12-10-2006, 06:55 AM
Sorry to hear about your loss. I can only imagine what you are going through. Memories are precious in times like these.

AlamoSpursFan
12-10-2006, 08:39 AM
Damn, Manny.

Sorry about your loss, man! I'll keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers.

I know it's no consolation, but if you believe in such things your uncle's in a better place and you'll see him again (but hopefully not too soon).

kingsfan
12-10-2006, 08:47 AM
My condolences to you and your family. I know how it is to lose people you love very much. He really is in a better place and is now at peace, take comfort in that. You'll always have your great memories and those are irreplaceable.

SpursWoman
12-10-2006, 09:22 AM
I'm very sorry to hear that, Manny. :(

MaNuMaNiAc
12-10-2006, 09:29 AM
Sorry to hear about your uncle passing Manny. Sounds like the man was a good person who had a nasty disease. My condolences to you and your family

angel_luv
12-10-2006, 09:29 AM
I am very sorry for your loss. My prayers are with you and your family.

angel_luv
12-10-2006, 09:41 AM
My dad died very suddenly and very unexpectedly. Please know that I understand and have great compassion for your loss.
If there is any way I can help you or Jess, I'm here.

Slomo
12-10-2006, 10:21 AM
My deepest condolences to you and your family. I'm sorry you couldn't attend the funeral, but flying your mom to California under the circumstances is the right decision and I congratulate you for it.

Your uncle had a difficult life, but he was destructive only to himself (some people are like that and I wish there was something we could do to help them), because he did good by his family and specially his kids, I'm sure the long term memories of him will be good ones - just like your memories of him are.

Summers
12-10-2006, 10:32 AM
Sorry to hear that Manny. I'll be thinking of you.

Cyrano
12-10-2006, 10:43 AM
Manny, I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. Hang in there, man.

1Parker1
12-10-2006, 10:53 AM
I'm sorry for your loss, Manny. What you did by offering to pay for your mom and Aunt to go the funeral instead was amazingly sweet and thoughtful of you. And if you learned to be such a great and caring man from Danny, then you have to understand how much value that adds to his life, knowing that he affected the kind of person you've become.

I don't want my family to remeber him as a drug addict or drunk. I think they will though.

As long as you remember him for what he truly was, that's all that matters.

spurschick
12-10-2006, 11:28 AM
Hey Manny,
I'm very sorry for your loss, especially at this time of year.

The only reasoning I can give you as to why they didn't call for the ambulance immediately is that it's very easy to go into a state of panic and denial when things really hit the fan. Perhaps they were hoping that the parents would be the band-aid that fixed everything.

Regardless of the disease that inevitably was his undoing, it sounds like Danny was a wonderful influence on your life and helped make you the person you are today. Your generosity in sending your mother and aunt shows that. And while it may seem that more could have been done to save him, we all have to walk our own paths and it sounds like he was ready to rest.

Life really does no how to stick it in and break it off sometimes, but every experience really does serve a purpose, even though we may not know what that is at the time. If you take all the good that was Danny and make it a part of your life, you will have him with you forever.

Texas_Ranger
12-10-2006, 11:44 AM
My condolescens. I'm sorry for your loss.
:depressed

Das Texan
12-10-2006, 11:59 AM
Manny,

Sorry to hear about Danny. I'll keep him and your entire family in my thoughts and prayers.

jcrod
12-10-2006, 12:52 PM
Manny,

Shit sucks, you and your family have my deepest condolences.

exstatic
12-10-2006, 01:25 PM
Manny, I'm very sorry for your loss. Those that you love who have left this mortal coil live on in your memories, and it sounds like yours are good about Danny, in spite of his addictions. Keep him close in your heart.

Billy Cobham
12-10-2006, 02:18 PM
Sorry to hear that Manny. Keep your chin up bro. Sounds like Danny left the world a better place than he found it. That's really all we can aspire to.

TheSanityAnnex
12-10-2006, 02:48 PM
Sorry to hear man. My sincere condolences.

ShoogarBear
12-10-2006, 05:36 PM
Manny,

Sounds like although your uncle had some rough times, he was still able to have a positive influence on both you and his kids.

I don't know how much contact you have with your nephews, but maybe you can share your memories with them (or, if they're too young, someday when they're older).

MannyIsGod
12-10-2006, 05:53 PM
Thank You all for your responses. I appreciate them all.

sa_butta
12-10-2006, 06:41 PM
condolences to you and your family man. I know how it feels to lose someone very close to you. I lost my grandfather 3 years ago, and man not a day goes by that I dont think of him. But what hurts us only makes us stronger. Just remember the good times and influences he had on you. And talk about it and share it with your family. God Bless you and your family.

Mark in Austin
12-10-2006, 06:59 PM
Manny,

I'm so sorry to hear about your uncle. It seems to me that there are people in the world who seem to always get the shit end of the stick. In spite of all of it Danny was able to provide for and raise two kids, and be positive influence on your life as well.

Sounds like a man I'd want to know.

easjer
12-10-2006, 07:05 PM
Manny-

I understand what is like to reach out to people you care about and don't know alike because the pain of loss is so great. I send my deepest condolences. Whatever paths he may have taken, he was someone who loved you and someone you loved. He clearly touched your life in an important and deep way, and that cannot be erased by his death. He will continue to live on in your actions and thoughts, and his good deeds become your good deeds.

I am sorry for the pain and loss you and your family are in. There will be a lot of second guessing and a lot of grieving, but each day will get a little bit easier. It will be easier to remember the good memories and enjoy the happy times.

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your loved ones.

Logan
12-10-2006, 09:12 PM
Manny,

Sorry for your loss!!

Our prayers are with you and your family!!

50 cent
12-11-2006, 04:26 PM
That really sucks man. Sorry for your loss. It's never easy losing loved ones, especially those that had a positive influenece in your life.

Samurai Jane
12-11-2006, 04:43 PM
My condolences, Manny

Shelly
12-12-2006, 10:05 PM
Very sorry to hear that, Manny.

01Snake
12-12-2006, 10:15 PM
Sorry to hear that Manny.

You have my deepest condolences.

2centsworth
12-12-2006, 10:22 PM