PDA

View Full Version : Who or what can we get for Finley

carib
12-10-2006, 11:28 PM
It's the end of the road for this guy on the Spurs.

carib
12-10-2006, 11:32 PM
The money is so good for him, getting paid from two teams, he does not care about winning, I want to say any more but, he never did know how to win. It's amazing how Dallas got better when they sent him to the Spurs.

Walton Buys Off Me
12-10-2006, 11:33 PM
Nothing- nobody wants a 33 year old that shoots his age

thekingrobert
12-10-2006, 11:48 PM
maybe Antoine Walker they both are sucking at this point Finley is more useful tho

1Parker1
12-10-2006, 11:52 PM
AI? :angel :lol

Texas_Ranger
12-10-2006, 11:54 PM
Antonio Daniels.

Tom_Foolery
12-10-2006, 11:55 PM
i don't know. he's cheap and i thought there would be suckers naive enough to take him, but after watching him this season, maybe pop needs to pull a "BRENT BARRY" and put out feelers for Finley to get him motivated. it would be sad if it had to come to that, but at this point, he's been horrible coming off the bench and even worse starting. i wouldn't mind a lesser known bench player that is young and can play defense.

i think he's been nothing but class, but we really need someone who can play. Finley just has not contributed enough as a spur, this season or last season.

i would almost be inclined to not play him very much cuz the more he has played, the more his value for a trade declines.

Fillmoe
12-10-2006, 11:58 PM
washed up.... i dont see yall getting much for him.... maybe a second round pick....

Nero
12-11-2006, 12:03 AM
He's pretty much the worst player in the NBA right now.

spurschick
The money is so good for him, getting paid from two teams, he does not care about winning

You've got to be kidding.

MrChug
I love the Spurs...but damn, I really......................................REALLY am tired of making excuses for Fin and Horry............................................. ..................REALLY.

Tom_Foolery
12-11-2006, 12:04 AM

i wouldn't say the worst, but definitely the worst on the spurs active roster.

Tek_XX
12-11-2006, 12:04 AM
His shooting slump has lasted for two seasons, it's fucking amazing. Maybe he really doesn't care about actually making the shots.

MannyIsGod
12-11-2006, 12:05 AM
Thats not true. He lit it up post all star break last year and did even better in the playoffs. Don't revise history.

timvp
12-11-2006, 12:06 AM
Instead of giving him charity minutes, Pop should give him a few DNP-CD's to see if that'll wake him up. He's sucking even worse than usual now because he's passing up shots.

Tonight it was seemed like a contest between Finley and Barry about who can pass up the most open shots and do a worse job boxing out. Sadly, I don't know who won that battle.

:pctoss

MrChug
12-11-2006, 12:08 AM
Instead of giving him charity minutes, Pop should give him a few DNP-CD's to see if that'll wake him up. He's sucking even worse than usual now because he's passing up shots.

Tonight it was seemed like a contest between Finley and Barry about who can pass up the most open shots and do a worse job boxing out. Sadly, I don't know who won that battle.

:lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao

Nero
12-11-2006, 12:08 AM
i wouldn't say the worst, but definitely the worst on the spurs active roster.

Who hurts their team more than a 35% shooter (26% 3pt), who doesn't play defense, doesn't hustle, is a subpar rebounder and a subpar passer? I can't think of any. And these shooting stats are through 20 games and 20min/game. Sure maybe he could improve those percentages a little but he still sucks at every other aspect of the game. And to top it off, he has no growth potential.

Que Gee
12-11-2006, 12:12 AM
Tonight it was seemed like a contest between Finley and Barry about who can pass up the most open shots and do a worse job boxing out.

I agree, Barry was two for two, and has been hitting everything, but he could have pulled the trigger on a few more. Tony missed him AT LEAST 3 times when he was literally standing by himself though.

The thing about Barry is that when he passes up a shot...usually the guy he gives it to has an even more wide open shot. Not saying its the right thing to do, but that is usually the result. When Finley passes up a shot, he isn't getting the next person he passes to a better look.

Nero
12-11-2006, 12:15 AM
I agree with the above post. Barry is a very good passer, his "passed up shots" are almost always good decisions. There's nothing that Finley does better. That said, we still do need a tough swingmen that can board a little. But Barry is a lot better than Finley.

Bruno
12-11-2006, 12:17 AM
Let's trade Finley, a player who choses to come in SA to win a championship for less money than Miami's offer.

If Spurs want to sign some FAs for the next 5 years, trading Finley is just stupid.

MannyIsGod
12-11-2006, 12:20 AM
This is all moot because you can't trade players with small contracts that suck for anything of value.

timvp
12-11-2006, 12:21 AM
Let's trade Finley, a player who choses to come in SA to win a championship for less money than Miami's offer.

If Spurs want to sign some FAs for the next 5 years, trading Finley is just stupid.

Not that trading Finley is the answer (mostly since the Spurs wouldn't be able to get anything), but the same situation applied to Barry and the Spurs tried to ship him.

timvp
12-11-2006, 12:23 AM
I agree, Barry was two for two, and has been hitting everything, but he could have pulled the trigger on a few more. Tony missed him AT LEAST 3 times when he was literally standing by himself though.

The thing about Barry is that when he passes up a shot...usually the guy he gives it to has an even more wide open shot. Not saying its the right thing to do, but that is usually the result. When Finley passes up a shot, he isn't getting the next person he passes to a better look.

With as hot as Barry has been shooting, there's no reason for him to pass up shots. But those perimeter shots that he passed up didn't bother me as much as the times he'd drive the lane and be one dribble from a layup and then just stop and pass to the perimeter.

It was beginning of last year all over again.

TDMVPDPOY
12-11-2006, 12:23 AM
his from chicago, i say we trade him + filler to the bulls for that SF they acquired from the blazers + duhorn......that will fuckn solve our PG rotation and LONG3

ChumpDumper
12-11-2006, 12:24 AM
his from chicago, i say we trade him + filler to the bulls for that SF they acquired from the blazers + duhorn......that will fuckn solve our PG rotation and LONG3Why does Chicago do it?

Nero
12-11-2006, 12:25 AM
We don't need anything of value. Any player that can play a little D and doesn't require 20+min/game will do. As it stands now, even if we just cut him the Spurs would be better. But we shouldn't trade or cut him. Just halve his minutes until production starts going up.

Bruno
12-11-2006, 12:25 AM
the same situation applied to Barry and the Spurs tried to ship him.

It's not exactly the same case, Barry hasn't signed at a bargain price like Finley and Barry had a ring.

ChumpDumper
12-11-2006, 12:26 AM
December 10 isn't the time for trade talk unless you're the Sixers.

Kori Ellis
12-11-2006, 12:26 AM
I say the Spurs should be all over the AI trade. Not that they should get AI. But if the Sixers are making a trade and need a third team to get involved the Spurs should jump in the mix and somehow get rid of Finley in process. :lol

Que Gee
12-11-2006, 12:27 AM
But those perimeter shots that he passed up didn't bother me as much as the times he'd drive the lane and be one dribble from a layup and then just stop and pass to the perimeter.

Thats a better description. Your right, its not so much the perimeter stuff, but those close shots where he could easily get fouled and go to the line where he is shooting 90% or whatever it is.

TDMVPDPOY
12-11-2006, 12:28 AM
i say we trade him to the pacers for stephen jackson, at least jackson makes love to pressure on the court and off the court :D

timvp
12-11-2006, 12:29 AM
It's not exactly the same case, Barry hasn't signed at a bargain price like Finley and Barry had a ring.

Barry had a ring? Were you counting his wedding ring? :lol

Portland was offering Barry $5M more. I don't think anyone is going to feel sorry for Finely seeing as he's making like $20M this year or whatever. Trade or no trade.

Kori Ellis
12-11-2006, 12:29 AM
Finley + Bonner for SJax

:smokin

Bruno
12-11-2006, 12:40 AM
Barry had a ring? Were you counting his wedding ring? :lol

Yes, Barry had a ring when Spurs tried to trade him for JR Smith.

Portland was offering Barry $5M more.

So, you compare a player who signed for $20M with Spurs instead of $25M with Portland with a player who chose Spurs at $2.5M over Miami at $5M ?
Finley isn't in the same case than Barry.

Kori Ellis
12-11-2006, 12:42 AM
who chose Spurs at $2.5M over Miami at $5M ?

Spurs 3 years/$8M and Miami 2 years/$10M isn't as much difference as 20-25M.

Bruno
12-11-2006, 12:43 AM
BTW, the main problem with Finley is that Pop continue to play him a lot despite his huge shooting slump.
I understand why Pop doesn't bench a player because of that but the truth is Sprus lose some games because of that.

Amuseddaysleeper
12-11-2006, 12:44 AM

plus Finley is gettin $50 M or something off of Cuban anyway, so it's not like he's taking a 90% paycut, while I do admire him for picking SA

Kori Ellis
12-11-2006, 12:45 AM
plus Finley is gettin $50 M or something off of Cuban anyway, so it's not like he's taking a 90% paycut, while I do admire him for picking SA

Yeah that's my point. He didn't pass on a whole hell of a lot of money from Miami anyway. From what I remember, Miami's offer had a team option on the third year, while the Spurs offer had a player option on the third year.

Kori Ellis
12-11-2006, 12:46 AM
BTW, the main problem with Finley is that Pop continue to play him a lot despite his huge shooting slump.
I understand why Pop doesn't bench a player because of that but the truth is Sprus lose some games because of that.

I agree. Finley can't keep being allowed to try to shoot himself out of the slump during games (unless it's garbage time).

Amuseddaysleeper
12-11-2006, 12:47 AM
I think Pop is being too cozy with Finley, and it reminds me of the Hedo days

I think Pop should force Finley to earn his minutes like he does with virtually everyone else (not named Horry)

Pop needs to stop playing favorites

timvp
12-11-2006, 12:49 AM
Yes, Barry had a ring when Spurs tried to trade him for JR Smith.

So if the Spurs would have won a championship last year, it'd be cool to trade Finley? But because they didn't, they have to keep him?

:dizzy

So, you compare a player who signed for $20M with Spurs instead of $25M with Portland with a player who chose Spurs at $2.5M over Miami at $5M ?
Finley isn't in the same case than Barry.

Yeah, so players are going to stop coming to the Spurs because Finely had $38M coming his away instead of $40M?

Terry Porter signed for less and the Spurs shipped him off before he won a ring. Derek Anderson signed for less and the Spurs wouldn't even give him a serious contract offer the next year. Heck, Nick Van Exel signed for less last year and if any team would have offered anything to make the Spurs better, you better believe that the Spurs would have had him on the first bus out of town.

Bruno
12-11-2006, 12:51 AM

Miami and Spurs were 2 contenders.
Portland wasn't a contender.

The difference between Finley and Barry is that Barry signed for less money to have a chance to get a ring (like Rasho) while Finley chose Spurs over all the other contenders for less money.
The only way Spurs can trade Finley without hurting their image is if Finley agrees to be traded.

Kori Ellis
12-11-2006, 12:52 AM

The difference between Finley and Barry is that Barry signed for less money to have a chance to get a ring (like Rasho) while Finley chose Spurs over all the other contenders for less money.
The only way Spurs can trade Finley without hurting their image is if Finley agrees to be traded.

The Spurs almost traded David Robinson at one point. I don't think shipping off Finley would damage them at all. It's a business.

while Finley chose Spurs over all the other contenders for less money.
Because he thought they were his best chance at a ring. So he's the same.

Amuseddaysleeper
12-11-2006, 12:54 AM

wrong

he already had his chance at a ring last year, and this is the NBA, it's a business not a charity

Finley is still making TONS of money of fof Cuban

Finley chose the Spurs because he felt it was his best shot at a ring

Barry did the same thing, and he almost got shipped and if anything he's become a better player for the Spurs because of it

It's a business and just b/c Finley chose SA over Miami, doesn't mean the Spurs have no right to trade him

Kori Ellis
12-11-2006, 12:56 AM
This all being said. I don't think they are actively pursuing a Finley trade right now.

But if a trade comes their way that makes sense now, or if Finley keeps getting worse as the deadline approaches, I don't think they will think twice about trading him just because of worrying about a reputation issue.

Axl Van Dam
12-11-2006, 12:57 AM
It's the end of the road for this guy on the Spurs.
We don't need to trade or get rid of Michael Finley. He's eventually gonna get his form back and start dropping in those shots.

timvp
12-11-2006, 12:57 AM
The Spurs are in this for championships. Not being nice to players. If cutting Bruce Bowen tomorrow made the Spurs better, I'd be all for it.

And if the Spurs could survive their low balling of Derek Anderson after promising him a big contract after his one year contract he originally signed, they could survive if they traded a guy playing horribly who is making more money this year than Tim Duncan.

TDMVPDPOY
12-11-2006, 12:58 AM
what i dont get about finley is that his a good ft shooter, why doesnt he go into the lane and draw more fouls instead of settling for jumpers......i dont give a shit if your old and scared to break a bone, but fuck you are doin jackshit on jumpers...

Russ
12-11-2006, 01:00 AM
He's another Steve Smith -- he's washed up but it'll be nice to see him get a ring.

Somewhere in the playoffs he'll hit a big shot and a national announcer who doesn't know any better will say, "That's why they got Michael Finley."

He'll be like a mascot. Emcee Brent Barry will needle him on stage at the Alamodome after the river parade. Then they'll send him on his way.

Kori Ellis
12-11-2006, 01:01 AM
He's another Steve Smith -- he's washed up but it'll be nice to see him get a ring.

Somewhere in the playoffs he'll hit a big shot and a national announcer who doesn't know any better will say, "That's why they got Michael Finley."

He'll be like a mascot. Emcee Brent Barry will needle him on stage at the Alamodome after the river parade. Then they'll send him on his way.

He has a player option for next season to ruin your plan. :lol :)

Russ
12-11-2006, 01:03 AM
He has a player option for next season to ruin your plan. :lol :)

Sometimes accidents happen. Just celebrating after the title -- who knew enchilladas contained Pellonium? :)

Bruno
12-11-2006, 01:04 AM
So if the Spurs would have won a championship last year, it'd be cool to trade Finley? But because they didn't, they have to keep him?

:dizzy

It's not what I've said.
If a player sign with a team to get a ring, it's easier to trade him if he doesn't fill in the teams plans if he had reach his goal.

Yeah, so players are going to stop coming to the Spurs because Finely had $38M coming his away instead of $40M?

It' has nothing to do with money.
nba is a business but nba is a men-related business. Finley's signing with Spurs isn't money related at all, he has signed with Spurs because he wanted to get a ring.

Kori Ellis
12-11-2006, 01:05 AM
Sometimes accidents happen. Just celebrating after the title -- who knew enchilladas contained Pellonium? :)

:lol

lovespurs forever
12-11-2006, 01:31 AM
I Want Garnt Hill

WalterBenitez
12-11-2006, 04:27 AM
At least we could get an statue in exchange? :oops

WalterBenitez
12-11-2006, 04:29 AM
I didn't know it, why he should know!? :nerd

MannyIsGod
12-11-2006, 06:22 AM
I think many of you are giving up on Finley far too soon. Shooters go through slumps. Those of you wanting Finley to drive and draw fouls are going to be very very disappointed. I don't agree that Finley should be getting lots of minutes, but the posts about him being traded are ridiculous. I think there is a better chance of him pulling out of this slump than of it continuing the entire year. With shooters the main issue is confidence. When he strings together a small steak of good games, then I believe he can bust out of this slump.

I'll admit that after the last game I thought he might be reaching a turning point but he looked flat out awful in tonights game. I think he forced the issue a lot early and almost went into panic mode because he missed his first few shots. But I'm no where near ready to give up on him yet. Maybe come February if he's still completely sucking a trade would be ok, but right now I don't understand how you get better by trading Finley.

Oh, I do think Bruno's argument is off. Everyone on this team is tradeable outside of the big three, and I have a feeling that none of those are completely safe if the right deal came around.

Texas_Ranger
12-11-2006, 08:04 AM
Finley + Bonner for SJax

That would be great. :clap

Jaxon could kick some ass if the team would have some problems with the opponent. :downspin: :ihit

Bruno
12-11-2006, 08:38 AM
If Spurs get a great offer they can trade Finley but trading Finley just for trading Finley is stupid to me. It will hurt Spurs more than help them.
Finley's salary is quite low, even if he sucks he isn't a big concern unlike Rasho/Barry who have bigger contracts.

phyzik
12-11-2006, 08:44 AM
I agree with MIG, but damn Finley is really pissing me off right now.

MannyIsGod
12-11-2006, 09:22 AM
If Spurs get a great offer they can trade Finley but trading Finley just for trading Finley is stupid to me. It will hurt Spurs more than help them.
Finley's salary is quite low, even if he sucks he isn't a big concern unlike Rasho/Barry who have bigger contracts.Exactly.

boutons_
12-11-2006, 09:24 AM
Michael's problem was compounded by Pop leaving him in too long when Manu and Brent were hitting their outside shots while Tim & paint were mostly shut down.

nkdlunch
12-11-2006, 09:32 AM
I don't know. I don't see Finley getting much better. He might have 1 good game out of each 10, but out of those 10 he'll probably cost us 2 or 3. Why? because Pop keeps him in so long, it hurts us bigtime.

Pop can do whatever he wants regular season, we might not even get 60 wins, or win the division. But come playoff time, if Finley sucks his first 5 mins, bench him for good!

wildbill2u
12-11-2006, 12:57 PM
Pop does seem to have a different standard for Finley than his usual "whoever is playing best gets the minutes" policy. I don't understand it.

When Finley is playing so bad why not give Williams a shot at SF--or stay with Barry? Barry may pass up a shot or two (often getting an assist that nobody counts), but he's a better fundamental player than Finley and who can argue that Finley's better at shooting right now?

LEONARD
12-11-2006, 01:05 PM
This thread = gold :fro

SPURS vs NBA media
12-11-2006, 01:47 PM
The money is so good for him, getting paid from two teams, he does not care about winning, I want to say any more but, he never did know how to win. It's amazing how Dallas got better when they sent him to the Spurs.

how do you know he does not care about winning

MannyIsGod
12-11-2006, 02:17 PM
This thread = gold :froOnly because Spurs fans expect a ton out of the fourth option on our team and freak over a one month long slump.

ManuTastic
12-11-2006, 02:21 PM
Finley + Bonner for SJax

I like that a lot. But... would they remove his handcuffs during the games?

mabber
12-11-2006, 06:19 PM

I hope you don't really believe that.

Finley was my favorite Mav but I was not upset to see him go. He was in decline yet would have had a hard time accepting a 6th man type roll for the Mavs since he'd been a starter there for so long. He's a good player for the little that the Spurs pay him though. A lot of the Spur's fans just expected to see the Finley from his prime and he's not that anymore. Think about it, there's a reason someone cuts a player that he still has to pay $17+million a year for 2-3 years. He was just not consistent enough and that's what the Spurs are getting. But at least it's not costing them much.

KB24
12-11-2006, 06:21 PM
SPREEWELL :lmao

carib
12-11-2006, 07:13 PM
Chip is one of or the best shooting coach, get to know him Finley.

Fabbs
12-11-2006, 07:26 PM
Findawg for a salary match and 2nd Round pick.

That wouldn't do any good.
2nd Rounders (late at that) Parker and GNob. :rolleyes :lol

timvp
12-11-2006, 07:35 PM
trading Finley is just stupid.

If Spurs get a great offer they can trade Finley

Dirk41MVP
12-11-2006, 07:37 PM
Now you don't seem to be bitching at why the mavs got rid of him... HAHHAHAHA he sucks don't he ? :lol

SequSpur
12-11-2006, 08:17 PM
Finley hasn't done shit in years. WTF are we waiting for? Same thing goes for Beno.... WTF are we actually waiting for? Got damn, I could make millions as a GM, I'm smarter than alot of these dipshits.

Bruno
12-11-2006, 08:27 PM

:spin
There are no contractictions in what I say.

My point is that trading Finley will hurt Spurs when they will try to sign FAs because FAs will less trust Spurs' FO.

A trade has more probability to hurt the reputation of a FO when :
- The player traded is an old vet. You can't act with a 10 years vet like with a rookie.
- The player traded is/was great. You can't act with a former all star like with a borderline nba player.
- The player is respected. You can't act with a great locker room guy like with a cancer.
- The player is with a small salary. When there are no financial reasons, justifying a trade is harder that when you want to dump a bad contract.
- The player has signed with the team for BB reasons and not for financial reasons and has taken a paycut.
- You trade this player for crap. When there are no strong BB reasons, justifying a trade is harder. When the player traded is a part of a package to get a great player, the trade is more understandable.

I fear that if Spurs trade Finley for garbage today, some FAs won't sign with Spurs because they will fear to be traded if they are bad during two months.
That's why I'm against to dump Finley who is cheap, a former all star, a great locker room guy, an old vet and who has spend 15 days to choose Spurs over a lot of other teams two summers ago.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
12-12-2006, 12:06 AM
Finley to Suns for Jumaine Jones.

Why do they do it? They aren't using him, and after signing Diaw to an extension, and with Marion's coming up, they are just into lux tax territory and want to get out, or so more than one Suns fan stated on Sportingnews blogs.

If they want more expiring contracts, give them Williams and Finley for Jones and X.

dg7md
12-12-2006, 12:36 AM
I guess everyone forgot about his performance in the playoffs last year, except for T-Park. :)

When Finley was playing like a madman in Dallas you all were saying he was one of the most valuable players on the entire team during that stint. He will be clutch in the playoffs, we need a veteran clutch player like Finley for the playoffs, "young legs" aren't important because we are winning because of the skill of the players not because they can dunk and run really fast.

Finley is a veteran shooter who can still knock down freethrows, big shots, AND he is one of the only Spurs who can throw down a sick dunk when they need it most. Remember his facials on Dallas?!

I've said it before, without Finley, we would have fallen to Dallas in five games. Not 7 with a good chance to win.

K-State Spur
12-12-2006, 01:30 AM
As his athletic ability fades, it's tougher for him to play defense, cut to the hoop, and elevate for the dunk. But the ability to hit an open jumpshot should be the last thing to leave him. So there isn't any reason to think that he can't break out of the slump just because of his age.

On the other hand, I find it being like the movie "Little Big League." Admittedly, not a great movie, but there is a scene in it where the kid is wondering whether to cut his aging favorite player, and gets excited when the guy hits a ground-ball single to right-field. The pitching coach looks at him and says, "Billy, don't you think there's something wrong when you get that excited about a seeing-eye single?"

I keep thinking that each make is going to break Finley out of this slump. Then I say to myself, "Don't you think there is something wrong when you get that excited about a wide-open 12 foot baseline jumper?".......

RonMexico
12-12-2006, 02:06 AM
You might be able to get the old leather ball for him... which actually might be the thing that breaks him out of the slump (going back to the old ball). Finley had problems with his shooting in his rookie season in Phoenix. He was very inconsistent, but was also a young guy back then, so he could cut to the hoop and throw it down on people/get to the line when it wasn't clicking.

One of the things he said was that he had trouble adjusting to the leather ball from the one in college (something about the feel in his hands and it was slipping on his release or what not). A few days after those comments, he breaks out with back-to-back 30 point games while shooting over 50% from 3pt.

So, you never know, maybe he's having trouble adjusting to this ball and the return to the old one will help... and let's not forget that it always helps veterans (Horry, Jim Jackson, etc.) to be in the playoffs and turn it up.

Nero
12-12-2006, 02:19 AM
The thing is that even if Finley was shooting well (50% fg, 40%3pt) he would STILL be a liability! Every other aspect of his game is subpar. I like Finley, but he's done.

wildbill2u
12-12-2006, 10:57 AM
Nothing wrong with having a low cost veteran like Finley on the team--if you keep him on the bench when he isn't producing. The problem is his minutes/production.

Right now, Spurs should treat him like Kevin Willis or any other aging veteran who can occasionally come in and do something for you or who can fill out the garbage time minutes.

K-State Spur
12-12-2006, 11:34 AM
The thing is that even if Finley was shooting well (50% fg, 40%3pt) he would STILL be a liability! Every other aspect of his game is subpar. I like Finley, but he's done.

I disagree there. Shooters always have value. Plus, Finley rarely gets embarrassed on defense and isn't a horrible rebounder for a wing.