PDA

View Full Version : Can we bench Finley and Start Williams Instead...

TheAffricanFan
12-11-2006, 01:32 AM
with Bowen playing SG and Manu comin´ from the bench??

timvp
12-11-2006, 01:34 AM
Where have a heard that before .....

:smokin

Bruno
12-11-2006, 01:45 AM
Williams isn't even on the active roster for each game. I doubt that Spurs have plans for him outisde of trading him at the trade dealdine.

But it's true that Spurs lack of a strong/long SF who is a good rebounder/defender and it hurts them in some matchups. Williams fills that description except that he is maybe just not good enough.

Trainwreck2100
12-11-2006, 01:51 AM
While we're at it let's bench fabri and start bonner

ponky
12-11-2006, 02:16 AM
why is manu coming off the bench? is he still not 100% or is just a new thing pop's trying out? he seems alright but i don't keep up everyday with the spurs so i was wondering how long he's been coming off the bench

baseline bum
12-11-2006, 03:52 AM
Pop runs his 'let's put Manu on the bench' experiment every year, and it never works out too well. In 2004 he benched Manu for worthless Turkoglu and in 2005 he started Brent Barry in the playoffs after the Spurs dropped game 1 to Denver. I could swear he did it for a while last year too, but I can't remember the specifics.

xamila rey
12-11-2006, 04:54 AM
Pop runs his 'let's put Manu on the bench' experiment every year, and it never works out too well. In 2004 he benched Manu for worthless Turkoglu and in 2005 he started Brent Barry in the playoffs after the Spurs dropped game 1 to Denver. I could swear he did it for a while last year too, but I can't remember the specifics.

last year was for Finley

nkdlunch
12-11-2006, 09:49 AM

didn't we sweep denver after he did it? so it does work sometimes. Except this time is unnecessary cause Finley is finished

MI21
12-11-2006, 09:55 AM
Williams, Bowen and Oberto in the starting lineup.

Better play good defense for the first 6-8 mins....

Gino20
12-11-2006, 10:09 AM
Gosh Finley is getting hammered in here lol! It is getting hard to defend him and Robert Horry. However, these guys are old and they know when to step up. Finley is simply in a slump. All basketball players go through it. I am more then confident this guy can get it going soon. He has put a couple of decent games together before the Lakers game. This guy started to get going toward the end of last season and did a good job during the playoffs. We just have to be patient. Before all the Barry praise, everyone wanted to trade him. It took him approximately 2 years to learn the system. Lets at least allow Finley some more time before we hammer him...

George Gervin's Afro
12-11-2006, 10:18 AM
I have faith that Finley will be en fuego for the playoffs. :danceclub ..

ManuTastic
12-11-2006, 10:32 AM
I saw Williams play a lot for the Celtics a few years ago, and he was a pretty good Malik Rose-type player: hustled for rebounds, scrapped, could score opportunistically. I have no idea if he still has any game, though, has anyone seen him play recently?

peskypesky
12-11-2006, 10:45 AM
I think Manu coming off the bench is a good idea. It keeps the energy up and scoring up when the starters are resting. That way, any lead we've built up won't disappear. It also allows Manu to be the floor leader when he's out there, which he and I both like.

I'd start Barry instead of Finley right now. If Finley is ever going to come out of his slump, let him try to do it as a sub. His shooting is just too awful this season for him to be starting.

Walton Buys Off Me
12-11-2006, 10:59 AM
That would be logical, we all know Popovich defies logic.