PDA

View Full Version : Moore silenced as credits roll on a fair fight

whottt
11-05-2004, 02:58 AM
Film-maker Moore silenced as credits roll on a fair fight

FRASER NELSON
IN BOSTON
FOR the first time in years, Michael Moore was speechless.

The film-maker and author was keeping quiet yesterday as he digested the inconceivable: his books, films and campaigns had not even dented Mr Bush’s political lead.

His book, Stupid White Men, and film Fahrenheit 9/11 have sold well in the United States as they have across the world - radicalising a young audience which had never before voted.

But yesterday the self-styled "capped crusader" was searching in vain for any evidence that the shadow he has cast over American politics for the last three years had touched the polling station.

He had deployed 1,300 cameras to polling stations in Florida and Ohio, determined to catch on film the dirty tricks which he argues stopped thousands of black voters from casting their ballot four years ago.

"I’m putting those who intend to suppress the vote on notice: voter intimidation and suppression will not be tolerated," Mr Moore said in a statement.

But he gave up on Florida by 3pm on polling day, and headed to Ohio instead.

By yesterday lunchtime, it became clear that George Bush, his nemesis, had won a fair and unanswerable victory.

Since the 36-day recount drama in Florida four years ago, Mr Moore has launched three books and a film on the premise that the election was "stolen" and that the American public was hostile to Mr Bush.

His recent book - Dude, Where’s My Country? - was based on the belief that the average American was against Mr Bush to start with and that the Republicans only won because turnout was little over 54 per cent.

He has ever since committed himself to defeating Mr Bush, setting aside part of his personal fortune - the extra he secured from the president’s tax cuts - to beat the Republicans.

At one point during the campaign, Mr Moore dropped to his knees on national television and pleaded with Ralph Nader, the third presidential candidate, who was attacking the Democrats from the left, not to stand.

The latest figures last night suggested Mr Bush would have won a convincing victory even if all Mr Nader’s votes had been cast for Mr Kerry.

Mr Moore’s interventions have made him a fixture of the American political scene, taking part in chat shows and turning up at the Republican National Convention in New York to jeers from delegates.

On the campaign trail, opinion polls showed several young voters said they had been politicised by Fahrenheit 9/11 - a film which features the Florida recount and accuses Mr Bush of being in cahoots with Saudi Arabia.

Mr Moore had tried unsuccessfully to have the film shown on US television networks on the eve of the election, having to settle instead for a DVD release to coincide with the presidential campaign.

This had become a theme of the Democrats’ campaign, with John Kerry frequently denouncing the Saudis and calling for a resurrection of Richard Nixon’s plan to provide a new US source of energy to end the need for Saudi imports.

Mr Moore has publicly called for Hillary Clinton to enter the 2008 presidential race, and is now expected to turn his attentions to supporting her.

http://news.scotsman.com/international.cfm?id=1271452004

whottt
11-05-2004, 03:08 AM
http://terpsboy.com/blogpics04/moore_obese.jpg

dcole50
11-05-2004, 03:53 AM
Meh, I still think Moore is happy that Bush won -- he can now make cash off another propaganda film. Saying that he actually believed in Kerry or believed in something other than $$$ is giving him too much credit.

whottt
11-05-2004, 05:22 AM
I just hope Moore is as quick to come out and proclaim the legitimacy of the voting in Florida and Ohio as he was ready to villianize Bush...to alleviate the fears of NBADan and the like.

But we know that won't happen...because he's a partisan fuck without a shred of objectivity. But his silence says tons...it should say something even to the biggest conspiracy theorists.

I read reports of many Americans calling NZ, Australia and Canada and wanting to move there(and being told to fuck off)...hopefully Moore was one of them. Vaya Con Dios.

Shelly
11-05-2004, 08:24 AM
Karma's a bitch, ain't it?

dcole50
11-05-2004, 08:31 AM
I don't remember Moore ever claiming he would leave the country. And even if he did do that, he wouldn't go through with it. Lacks the balls required.

whottt
11-05-2004, 08:51 AM
I hope Moore goes to Europe...I mean after all he is the toast of the town there...a dumb, hypocritical, corrupt, fat, ugly, self and America hating American..what's not for them to love about him? He confirms all their stereotypes of us in one LARGE package(except for the Cowboy which W fits).

Guy goes around talking about how much he hates America...let him move to Europe...see how long the love affair lasts once he no longer fills their political agenda for America. They'll get bored with him real quick. Better yet...it'd be fun to see him do an expose on the Government of France or Spain, by far among the most corrupt governments in the Western World.

Hook Dem
11-05-2004, 10:13 AM
I hope Moore goes to Europe...I mean after all he is the toast of the town there...a dumb, hypocritical, corrupt, fat, ugly, self and America hating American..what's not for them to love about him? He confirms all their stereotypes of us in one LARGE package(except for the Cowboy which W fits).

Guy goes around talking about how much he hates America...let him move to Europe...see how long the love affair lasts once he no longer fills their political agenda for America. They'll get bored with him real quick. Better yet...it'd be fun to see him do an expose on the Government of France or Spain, by far among the most corrupt governments in the Western World.
Do an expose on France or Spain? They would behead him in a New York minute. The "bastil" would hold his remains. :lol

smeagol
11-05-2004, 11:20 AM
Moore is a despicable character. Can't believe this fat bastard made so much money with his last film (Bowling for Columbine was OK, but I still hate the guy)

Mr Moore has publicly called for Hillary Clinton to enter the 2008 presidential race, and is now expected to turn his attentions to supporting her.

Democrats: Your chances of winning the next presidencial election are dropping by the minute if this guy campaigns for Hillary or whoever your candidate is.

Hope that at a minimum, you guys learned THAT lesson.

dcole50
11-05-2004, 12:18 PM
Bowling for Columbine was a much better produced documentary. One of my main problems with Fahrenheit 9/11, aside from blatant factual inaccuracies, was that it was a horribly produced film. The quick cutaways, lack of a unifying theme, impropriate amount of time given to different issues of equal significance to the plot (I say "plot" because it was a film/propaganda piece, not a documentary). There are criticisms to be made of Bush's first four years (as there are of any presidential term. I don't have blinders on. I can list Clinton's faults and I don't even have the time or energy to list the millions of significant errors made by the Carter administration.), yet Moore managed to avoid every legitimate criticism that could be made of the Bush administration and instead focused on insane conspiracy theories that anyone with a half a brain could see through.

Ugh. I hope the Democrats do something to anger him so much that he makes a propaganda piece against whoever the '08 candidate for the Democratic party is.

Shelly
11-05-2004, 12:21 PM
Moore "has" all the answers...why doesn't he run?

JOKE!