PDA

View Full Version : Ludden: Spurs get to taste Shaq-free Lakers

timvp
11-05-2004, 05:00 AM
Spurs get to taste Shaq-free Lakers
Johnny Ludden

LOS ANGELES — His own postseason experience limited to 13 games in nine seasons, Brent Barry has often spent late spring at his beachfront property near here, checking tide levels as well as the occasional NBA playoff telecast.

Barry watched much of last season's Western Conference semifinals as the Los Angeles Lakers rallied from a 2-0 deficit to win four-consecutive games against the Spurs. He gleaned enough knowledge from those battles, as well as the teams' previous playoff encounters, to offer a suggestion as to how the Lakers might defend Tim Duncan now that Shaquille O'Neal and Karl Malone have departed.

"I guess sacrificing live chickens is out of the question," Barry said, "but something close to that might be good."

After years of devising their own how-do-you-stop-Shaq rituals — Will Perdue joked he used to push his car up a nearby hill in preparation for their meetings; Malik Rose once advised buying life insurance — the Spurs get their first look tonight at their old rivals since Superman relocated to a South Beach phone booth.

"The beginning of the year is kind of fun," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said. "Every team has a new wrinkle, different people, and you have to kind of learn them all over again."

Los Angeles' botox clinics haven't seen as many new wrinkles as the Lakers now have. Since the Spurs last visited Staples Center, O'Neal was traded to Miami, Phil Jackson joined the New York Times bestsellers' list, Gary Payton has took his scowl to Boston, Derek Fisher signed with Golden State, Rick Fox retired and Malone is mulling doing the same.

The Lakers have undergone so many changes that Kobe Bryant proclaimed the teams' rivalry dead. For now.

"We have a lot to prove to make it fresh," Bryant said. "From that standpoint, it's us trying to catch up to them. It's not a rivalry by any means right now."

Though Chris Mihm may not induce the same spine-chilling emotions as O'Neal once did, the Spurs still respect Bryant enough to not discount his new team just yet.

"They'll have a lot of pride," Popovich said. "Kobe wants that team to stay in the thick of things and he's going to do everything he can to pull that team along. He has the ability to do it. Even though Shaq's not there, they're still going to be a team that has to be dealt with."

The Lakers proved that, for one night at least, when they defeated Denver in Tuesday's season opener.

"That's what's going to make this season interesting," new Laker Lamar Odom said. "It's going to be fun to be the underdog."

Some of the time. Twenty-four hours later, the Utah Jazz wiped the Delta Center floor with Odom and his teammates. The Lakers set franchise-record lows in shooting percentage (.294), shots made (20) and assists (seven) in the 104-78 loss.

Bryant scored 38 points against Utah on 21 shots, a reasonable amount considering the number he occasionally hoisted with O'Neal at his side. On Tuesday, Bryant was particularly unselfish, setting up his teammates as he occupied the Nuggets' defense.

"I guess he understands what it's going to take to win," Duncan said. "He's not going to be able to do it all season (by himself). There's going to be nights he's going to be able to do that, but if he wants to win consistently, he's going to have to do it with his teammates. It looks like he is willing to do that."

With O'Neal gone and his replacement, former Sacramento center Vlade Divac, on the injured list, Los Angeles has turned up the tempo. Rudy Tomjanovich, the Lakers' new coach, has started Odom at power forward the first two games, with Brian Grant coming off the bench.

"They're more of a fast-break team now," the Spurs' Rasho Nesterovic said, "but definitely for (opposing) big guys it's easier."

Nesterovic should know. He was assigned to guard O'Neal in the playoffs each of the last two seasons, the first with Minnesota. Though O'Neal was less dominant than in previous years, he did enough to help lead the Lakers past the Spurs.

"They played a heck of a series last year," Duncan said. "Of course, we wished we could have won that one. We didn't. It's a whole new year.

"We've got our goals and they are to get back to the championship. Whoever gets in our way, that's who we want to go through."

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA110504.1D.BKNspurs.lakers.25f91cf4.html

orhe
11-05-2004, 06:52 AM
"I guess sacrificing live chickens is out of the question," Barry said, "but something close to that might be good."

hehehehehehehe this guy is funny :D

whottt
11-05-2004, 07:00 AM
It's just not going to be as much fun.

I have to really work at hating the Lakers now. When Phil and Shaq were there it just flowed out of me naturally.

How can you hate Rudy T, the one enemy coach who realized just how great a player Drob was? Lamar Odom became much harder to hate after watching how hard he played for the Olympic Team. Even Kobe has never been as easy to hate as Shaq. I kinda agreed with some of the things Kobe said about Shaq. I'd get sick of Shaq's childishness too. Even Kobe's new attitude about the rivalry, or lack thereof, dare I say there seems to be a shred of class and sportsmanship in his comments.

Even if LA is really good this season it's going to be much more difficult to hate them as they deserve to be hated if this nonsense keeps up. :(

My only hope is for Malone to rejoin them soon.

Dammit, I hate the Lakers for not being as hatable as they used to be.

smeagol
11-05-2004, 07:09 AM
Dammit, I hate the Lakers for not being as hatable as they used to be.

:lol

AlamoSpursFan
11-05-2004, 09:37 AM
Since the Spurs last visited Staples Center, O'Neal was traded to Miami, Phil Jackson joined the New York Times bestsellers' list, Gary Payton has took his scowl to Boston, Derek Fisher signed with Golden State, Rick Fox retired and Malone is mulling doing the same.

"has took"?

Snuck that one by the ol' sports editor...

:lol

slayermin
11-05-2004, 02:04 PM
I hate Kobe and Laker Fans. That is enough for me to hate the Lakers.

I hope the Spurs stomp them into the freakin' ground.

SHOW NO MERCY!!!

timvp
11-05-2004, 02:22 PM
Damn, we need the NO LIMIT COMMANDER to make sure the Spurs know how important this game is.

BigVee
11-05-2004, 02:45 PM
I gotta say, I am worried about this game. The lakers will be sky high, the crowd will be into it, and if the Spurs are not just as ready to play, it could be a long night.

bigzak25
11-05-2004, 03:33 PM
so who screens for kobe this time? odom? bruce can fight through that i'm sure.

run n' gun is fine, but i hope the spurs know their bread and butter and keep attacking the basket instead of getting sloppy with t/o's and jacking up jumpers...

PS. it's easy to hate the lakers. remember the arrogance. remember jack's "rip their hearts out". and if/when kobe starts getting phantom calls...you will remember the hate.

adidas11
11-05-2004, 05:11 PM
What's the matter Whott? The Lakers haven't found a way to piss you off yet this season? :elephant :king

It should be a fun game tonight. I actually think the Lakers will pull this one off, call me crazy.

Spurminator
11-05-2004, 05:49 PM
I second Whottt's post wholeheartedly.

Unless we're playing them in the Playoffs, I am apathetic to their success or failure this season.

LakerGod
11-05-2004, 05:54 PM
Talk all the smack you want but tonight after the game you will be nowhere to be found.