PDA

View Full Version : UFC buys WFA

cornbread
12-11-2006, 04:49 PM
http://www.ufc.com/index.cfm?fa=news.detail&gid=3959

"12/11/2006
Subsidiary of Zuffa, LLC Acquires Assets from World Fighting Alliance, Inc.

Autograph Poster UFC 37

Las Vegas, NV – A subsidiary of Zuffa, LLC, which owns the Ultimate Fighting Championship® brand, announced today that it acquired select assets from the World Fighting Alliance (WFA) organization. WFA Enterprises, LLC, a subsidiary of Zuffa, purchased select fighter contracts and the trademarks and other intellectual property of World Fighting Alliance, Inc., a corporation owned by Las Vegas attorneys, Ross Goodman and Louis Palazzo. The acquisition further solidifies Zuffa as the preeminent fight promoter in the world and infuses the organization with more of the world’s top MMA fighters.

Dana White, UFC President and Zuffa co-owner said, “Zuffa is committed to giving our fans the best fights between the best fighters in the world. This acquisition helps us continue fulfilling that goal.” White also said, “Goodman and Palazzo were working towards building a strong promotion. But bringing the WFA fighters into the Zuffa family is the best thing that could happen for the fighters – and for the fans.”

The WFA organization held four events, the most recent in July at the L.A. Forum with a solid fight card that was shown on pay-per-view television. “This is an exciting time for MMA as evidenced by the 60 Minutes story last night and we are glad that the WFA has played a leading role,” said Ross Goodman, President of the WFA. “This business opportunity presented itself and it made sense for everybody to make this transition.”

Under the terms of the purchase, World Fighting Alliance, Inc. will cease all operations.

About The Ultimate Fighting Championship
The Ultimate Fighting Championship® brand is the world’s leading professional mixed martial arts organization and offers the premier series of MMA sports events. Owned and operated by Zuffa, LLC, and headquartered in Las Vegas, Nev., the UFC® organization produces approximately eight live pay-per-view events annually that are distributed through cable and satellite providers. In addition to its U.S. distribution, UFC fight programs are distributed throughout the world including broadcast on WOWOW, Inc. in Japan, Globosat in Brazil and Bravo in the United Kingdom. For more information, or current UFC fight news, visit www.ufc.com.

Ultimate Fighting Championship®, Ultimate Fighting®, UFC®, The Ultimate Fighter®, UFC® Fight Club™, Submission®, As Real As It Gets®, Zuffa™, The Octagon™ and the eight-sided competition mat and cage design are registered trademarks, trademarks, trade dress or service marks owned exclusively by Zuffa, LLC in the United States and other jurisdictions. All other marks referenced herein may be the property of Zuffa, LLC or other respective owners"

Will we see the likes of Rampage, Linland, Faber, Lyoto, and Mayhem in UFC? All of these guys are listed on the WFA website but I'm not sure who's under contract. Heath Herring is also listed on their roster. He would be an exciting addition to UFC too.

LEONARD
12-11-2006, 05:49 PM
F yea!!!

Rampage and Herring for sure I would think. Rampage vs Chuck after he fights Tito...

Lindland is tied up with IFL too...

and Mayhem just fought in ICON...

IX_Equilibrium
12-11-2006, 07:00 PM
Good news for the UFC. As Dana said last night on 60 minutes, they bought the UFC for 2 million, and now he didn't know how much it was worth, but eluded that it may be a billion. Whether it be that much or 200 million, the return on investment is exponential.

I am still pleasantly shocked about how objective and fair of a report on MMA that was. It is a huge boost to the sport.

DarkReign
12-12-2006, 08:51 AM
Ok, (Im looking at you Leonard) what fighters specifically are under contract with the WFA that the UFC could pickup?

All in all, I am geeked.

desflood
12-12-2006, 09:25 AM
This is great, but all I can think of is Vince McMahon in the WWF days buying out many of the smaller companies... :greedy

LEONARD
12-12-2006, 10:32 AM
Ok, (Im looking at you Leonard) what fighters specifically are under contract with the WFA that the UFC could pickup?

All in all, I am geeked.

Rampage, Herring, Lindland, Miller...

Rampage vs Chuck has to happen...

full list here...
http://www.wfa.tv/fighters.php

The UFC also bought the WEC...
http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=3053

Dana is rollin'...

60 Minutes segment was extremely well done and was for a new audience
Bought WFA and WEC
2 UFC commercials aired during Monday Night Football!!
http://www.sherdog.net/forums/showthread.php?t=474917

I thought ESPN wasn't going to air any MMA since they're owned by Disney?? :spin

DarkReign
12-12-2006, 11:12 AM
Thats some real talent there. I hope the UFC doesnt cherry-pick the competition based on current champions popularity.

desflood
12-12-2006, 11:48 AM
What're the odds Matt Lindland gets his promised title shot now? :lol

dallaskd
01-04-2007, 05:58 PM
so all the wfa fighters are now in the UFC?

LEONARD
01-04-2007, 06:04 PM
so all the wfa fighters are now in the UFC?

They're either...

UFC
WEC
or jobless

The first Zuffa WEC card is Jan 20th...
http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/rumors.asp?articleid=3160

Razor Rob and Kit Cope are fighting for the LW title, which was held by Hermes Franca (they stripped it from him when the UFC bought the WEC and WFA)...