PDA

View Full Version : Would you apply for this job?

easjer
12-11-2006, 09:21 PM
In my current position, I basically oversee the college admissions process, from beginning to end. I also track enrollment and other kinds of data and serve on a committee that as a group determines our marketing/recruitment plans. What I do, I do well, but I've gotten everything running to the point that I don't have anything to do and I've grown really unhappy in my job. And there is no opportunity for expansion or advancement or a higher salary.

I've been looking around at private schools on a recommendation, and know that there is a lot of turnover in the staffing/administration of private schools. Anyway, I was looking at one school in particular that my source told me to check out and found a job opening for a Director of Admission. A lot of it is comparable in size and scope to what we do in my current job, and so I already much of the job description. The rest I think I am perfectly capable of doing.

But it would, on paper, if not reality, be a huge jump. I truly don't think it would really be much more than I am currently responsible for work wise, but would mean a lot more personal responsibility. I wonder if I am reaching too high with this one.

Anway, another part of my concern is that the application procedure begins with a standard cover letter, resume, and letters of reference. All of my references are colleagues or bosses and they have all indicated that they will do whatever they can to help me. I guess I am worried that if I ask for a letter of recommendation for this position that I will be turned down and told that I'm not good enough or something.

If you thought you could do a job, even if it seemed like a big step up the ladder, would you apply for it? I mean, I guess it can't hurt if I apply, but I've got other applications out there and this doesn't begin until July. I need to get out my job, so there is no harm, I suppose, but I've already had so much rejection that I am a little scared.

Bob Lanier
12-11-2006, 09:29 PM
Yes. If fear of rejection is the best reason you have not to do something, then you should do it.

angel_luv
12-11-2006, 09:33 PM
I say go for the interview- you're ready for a challenge, qualified, capable, and very personable.
I bet you get great recommendations letters and hired. :) Best of luck. I will say a prayer for you. :)

bendmz
12-11-2006, 10:32 PM
Don't settle for a lateral move. You want to grow in knowledge and experience. Those that do not take risk do not succede, those that do often win. No guts, no glory.... :tu

katyon6th
12-11-2006, 10:36 PM
bendmz knows their shit.

I concur. Go for it.

Das Texan
12-11-2006, 10:59 PM
go for the gold.