PDA

View Full Version : Who is Spurs best passer?

Fabbs
12-12-2006, 02:06 PM
I just had a guy tell me "If you ask the Spurs players, they will tell you Beno."

I say its GNob-Barry.

Can someone ask the Spurs players? :spin

cheguevara
12-12-2006, 02:08 PM
I just had a guy tell me "If you ask the Spurs players, they will tell you Beno."

if you're talking about passing the soap in the showers, yes.

SAGambler
12-12-2006, 02:18 PM
Actually, Pop made a statement to that fact just a few days ago. He said Beno is the the passer on the team. And I must admit, I have seen him make some pretty slick passes out there.

I think Gino is probably the next best and then Barry.

Then probably Tony, who can at times make some pretty slick ones himself, but his passes usually come when he has drawn all the defenders in and just passes out to a wide open shooter.

And for a big man, Elson can pass that ball around pretty good also.

2centsworth
12-12-2006, 02:23 PM
Beno sucks! Maybe he is a good passer in practice but not in NBA games.

Best passer is Tony. Flashiest passer is Manu. If Manu would cut down on the crazy turnovers he would be the best, but that's not going to happen.

After that it's Tim.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
12-12-2006, 02:23 PM
Manu's probably really creative with his passes, but maybe Pop's right about Beno being a good passer, because Manu's messed up a couple of his passes.

I've seen Tony do some nice passing to Tim in some games.

Oberto can do nice bounce passes.

Que Gee
12-12-2006, 02:25 PM
There can be a lot of "different" here. In the sense that the person who passes the best to get the player the "easiest" shot...then it doesn't surprise me that they think Beno is the best. When Tony drives to the hole, typically he is going up with it...When Beno or GNob goes to the rack, there is a good chance they are also going to kick it out to someone after they are collapsed on for an easy J or layup.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
12-12-2006, 02:25 PM
:lol That's what I was thinking

In other words, Beno's skillz are nullified by his TO's and most often garbage minutes. He's best POTENTIAL passer.

beirmeistr
12-12-2006, 02:29 PM
Maybe to Pop's conservative point of view, Beno is the best passer, but when it comes to actual games in crunch time, manu is the best passer. When it comes to creativity and court vision, Manu is numero uno.

SenorSpur
12-12-2006, 02:32 PM
If it wasn't for his propensity for turnovers, I would say Manu.

However for this season, it's Tony. I criticized him last year for his "ball hogging" and low assist totals. However this season, I've noticed a marked improvement in his ability to "draw and kick". He's grown more confident as a playmaker and has really improved his court vision. I like it when he runs with Elson on the break.

Que Gee
12-12-2006, 02:33 PM

True :)

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
12-12-2006, 02:33 PM
Maybe to Pop's conservative point of view, Beno is the best passer, but when it comes to actual games in crunch time, manu is the best passer. When it comes to creativity and court vision, Manu is numero uno.
Well the fact that Manu can throw some crazy dishes, is a big reason why he sparks the team as THE energy guy. Because you can't fall asleep around that guy, cuz he's uber-good at reading a potential shot for a teammate. He had a laser like delivery to Elson(?) I think in the Clippers game yesterday.

And Tony's awesome layup was from a direct pass through defenders, heh.

(I wish Manu improved a bit, minimizing the horrible passes that go off opponents feet though) He'd be as good as Nash or a lesser Magic.

BigVee
12-12-2006, 02:48 PM
Beno is okay when he is upright.

Texas_Ranger
12-12-2006, 03:16 PM
Beno and Timmy.

VaSpursFan
12-12-2006, 03:21 PM
here's my order:manu, barry, tony, timmy.

beno??? being the best passer in practice means nothing if it doesn't materialize in real game situations. the games i've watched he's been chucking like crazy rather than passing.

themvp
12-12-2006, 03:23 PM
Beno and Timmy.

I don't think Tim belongs in category of Tony, Manu, Beno, Brent. He is so unselfish but not a great passer.

Que Gee
12-12-2006, 03:25 PM
I don't think Tim belongs in category of Tony, Manu, Beno, Brent. He is so unselfish but not a great passer.

Exactly...That response killed the whole validity of the discussion.

VaSpursFan
12-12-2006, 03:26 PM

depends on the definition of best which is subjective. in my opinion, best means hitting the open man that puts him in a position to score. timmy is very efficient in this regard when passing to the perimeter and i've seen him throw some nifty passes to a cutting oberto for some easy layups/dunks.

2centsworth
12-12-2006, 03:28 PM
I don't think Tim belongs in category of Tony, Manu, Beno, Brent. He is so unselfish but not a great passer.I can't disagree with you more. Tim's ability to pass to wide open 3 pt shooters is top shelf. I will take Tim's passes over Beno, who shouldn't even be in the NBA, anyday.

themvp
12-12-2006, 03:36 PM
Tim's ability to pass to wide open 3 pt shooters is top shelf. I will take Tim's passes over Beno, who shouldn't even be in the NBA, anyday.

I know and I like it. But his main job isn't passing (assisting), that is what playmakers (should) do.

I just can't see him in the same category with Tony, which I think is the Spurs best passer but only when he want to do it.

2centsworth
12-12-2006, 03:41 PM
I know and I like it. But his main job isn't passing (assisting), that is what playmakers (should) do.

I just can't see him in the same category with Tony, which I think is the Spurs best passer but only when he want to do it.
I agree that Tony is the best passer. However, Tim can be mentioned in the same category, he's just a little taller and makes his passes from different spots on the court.

freemeat
12-12-2006, 03:44 PM
I'm not quite sure why Oberto has only been mentioned here once so far...for a big man, I've seen him get some pretty nice bounces to Timmy or a guard cutting to the basket. Also, I know they're just considered "tips," but he's been very good about recognizing where the help is when he's in a crowd trying to rebound a missed shot. There have been so many times where he has the kind of court-vision to realize he doesn't have to try to out-leap someone else for a board and can instead knock it out to Parker or Manu to re-set the half-court offense...Oberto needs to be considered one of the best on the team.

lefty
12-12-2006, 04:17 PM
Manu and Barry ; no question

bdictjames
12-12-2006, 04:20 PM
In terms of consistency, Tony Parker is the best passer, considering he is the point guard on the team. If I would choose another one it would be Brent or Manu

Dave McNulla
12-12-2006, 04:32 PM
alvin robertson

MoSpur
12-12-2006, 04:39 PM
It has to be Barry, Manu, and Beno. Not in that particular order. Beno does turn the ball over quite a bit, but when he is out ther with Barry and Manu, he is one of the best. Barry, always seem to have one or two good passes a game that make you stand up. Manu, well we all have seen do dome crazy bounce pass to someone driving to the basket or some behind the back pass that comes out on the highlight reel.

Tim does an excellent job passing out of the double teams.

MrChug
12-12-2006, 04:46 PM

Best passer is Tony. Flashiest passer is Manu. If Manu would cut down on the crazy turnovers he would be the best, but that's not going to happen.

After that it's Tim.

Ever watch a Spurs game?? :bang

Anyway, I feel that both Barry and Manu have an equal feel and equal offensive I.Q. but Manu simply is more aggressive, creates more opportunity/havoc with his play, hence more passes. Barry just knows the game and has a fantastic feel for basketball. I think Beno does too. So if I had to, I'd rank Manu first, Barry, then Beno ALL VERY CLOSELY ranked. I think our other players just handle the ball well within the offensive flow. I really like Jacque Vaughn too.

Solid D
12-12-2006, 05:36 PM
Manu gets into trouble with some of the passes he attempts.... but he is, in terms of creativity and floor vision, in the top 10 of all NBA players I have ever seen.

Beno is excellent and he seems to get the ball to players in rhythm.

I still say Manu is the best in terms of over-all passing ability.

Phenomanul
12-12-2006, 05:51 PM
Manu gets into trouble with some of the passes he attempts.... but he is, in terms of creativity and floor vision, in the top 10 of all NBA players I have ever seen.

Beno is excellent and he seems to get the ball to players in rhythm.

I still say Manu is the best in terms of over-all passing ability.

I agree..... he sees things that other players on our team simply don't.

2centsworth
12-12-2006, 05:56 PM
The love of Beno who shouldn't even be on the roster and the disrespect of Tony makes me want to:vomit:.

ALVAREZ6
12-12-2006, 07:45 PM
Beno is probably considered the best passer because he doesn't get a lot of turnovers on them, he probably is the most fundamentally sound at passing. Manu and Barry take more risks and although they can turn it over, they will make an insane pass every now and then.

dropstep4421
12-12-2006, 07:52 PM
johnny moore

dropstep4421
12-12-2006, 07:54 PM
johnny moore
keep your grass cut low so you can see the snakes{enemies}

aaronstampler
12-12-2006, 08:08 PM
it's relative. You can't really include Tony because he touches the ball way more than anybody else. It's his ball for 35 minutes a night, so him getting 7 assists isn't THAT impressive considering the number of opportunities he has.

As far as best passer to/opportunities, it has to be Manu. He either gets himself or somebody else a high percantage shot every time he touches it. It's why Hollinger loves him.

Leetonidas
12-12-2006, 08:42 PM
Barry is the best by far in my opinion, followed by Manu and Beno.

1Parker1
12-12-2006, 08:43 PM
(I wish Manu improved a bit, minimizing the horrible passes that go off opponents feet though) He'd be as good as Nash or a lesser Magic.

:wow :wow That's a loaded statement. I think it'll take a lot more than "a bit" of improvement for Manu's passing skills to be put in with those guys...

TDMVPDPOY
12-12-2006, 08:56 PM
beno = accurate and passes it when need to

manu = too aggressive and flashy imo

barry = passive fundamental bookplays

tim duncan = no comment :D

Emanuel20
12-12-2006, 08:57 PM
:wow :wow That's a loaded statement. I think it'll take a lot more than "a bit" of improvement for Manu's passing skills to be put in with those guys...

you think too much :dizzy

1Parker1
12-12-2006, 09:12 PM
you think too much :dizzy

:lol Thank You?

I wasn't hating on Manu's passing skills, I'd probably vote that he's the Spurs best passer as well. However, I just was saying that I think he has a long way to go to reach Nash/Magic level in terms of passing.

angel_luv
12-12-2006, 09:55 PM
Gino, Beno, and Brent are all very good passers.

Tony makes some nice ones too.

1Parker1
12-12-2006, 10:58 PM
Gino, Beno, and Brent are all very good passers.

...Interesting, she picks all the White players, maybe Manny was on to something... :angel :lol

cqsallie
12-12-2006, 11:30 PM
...Interesting, she picks all the White players, maybe Manny was on to something... :angel :lol

:dramaquee Well, then why didn't she add Oberto and Bonner? Riddle me that?!
Actually, not only do I think Beno is a great passer, but I fervently believe he belongs in the NBA. Why the disparaging comments about Udrih? He's a cutey-pie and all the girls (as well as we elderly ladies) love him..... :flag:

v2freak
12-13-2006, 12:03 AM
Quite simply: Barry, IMO

MI21
12-13-2006, 08:38 AM
Manu has thrown some of the best passes in recent memory. In terms of flashy, incredible type passers, Manu has most of the NBA beat.

Bruno
12-13-2006, 08:40 AM
Beno, and it's not even close.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
12-13-2006, 08:46 AM
:lol Thank You?

I wasn't hating on Manu's passing skills, I'd probably vote that he's the Spurs best passer as well. However, I just was saying that I think he has a long way to go to reach Nash/Magic level in terms of passing.
I was just thinking that Manu's flashiness is reminiscent of Nash, and even Magic.

There was a cool pass Manu did when he dove and saved the ball from coming out of bounds , was sitting down and dished it for the bucket that I remember seeing a Magic clip of Magic on the ground sitting with the ball bouncing it for a fastbreak point.

Definitely Manu is a creative bastard, or one of the most creative with his passes today, remember the one's where he'd pass it to Tony in between the legs of his defenders??

I was just complimenting Manu's flashiness and courtvision.

Of course no one is in Magic's league since he was 6'8 freakish PG/Player, save for Nash's PG skills, and even THAT is a loaded compliment to Nash too.

In terms of accuracy and always getting it to his man, the TO's) Manu's not as good as avoiding them than Nash. But Nash has his shares of intercepted passes/TO's as well, of course like Tony, he's a PG and 6'3.

ORION
12-13-2006, 09:09 AM
Manu is better because he has more power. He can see the floor better than anyone and that is sometimes a problem because other don't know they are open.

angel_luv
12-13-2006, 09:13 AM

Way to selectively quote me. :lol

I mentioned Tony too.

Tell me a great passer on the team that I forgot. Can't can you? :)

1Parker1
12-13-2006, 09:15 AM
Way to selectively quote me. :lol

I mentioned Tony too.

Tell me a great passer on the team that I forgot. Can't can you? :)

:lol That Tim Duncan guy is pretty ok......

angel_luv
12-13-2006, 09:18 AM
:lol That Tim Duncan guy is pretty ok......

Are you reading player instead of passer? :lol

For the most part, Timmy is a great receiver. :lol

Now if we were talking rebounders- Timmy wins hands down. He's the Rebound :king

carina_gino20
12-13-2006, 09:25 AM
Definitely Manu is a creative bastard, or one of the most creative with his passes today, remember the one's where he'd pass it to Tony in between the legs of his defenders??

Uh, no..look at my sig. :lol

considering ability and court vision and instincts, I'd say Manu. I still remember that bullet pass to Timmy against the sonics in 05. But I also hope for fewer turnovers. :toast