PDA

View Full Version : Astros Trade for RHP Jennings

Big Pimp_21
12-12-2006, 05:32 PM
Astros sent Willy T, Hirsch, and Buchholz to the Rockies for Jason Jennings and some middle reliever.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/6265388

RogerIsEatingASandwich
12-12-2006, 05:37 PM
Damn, they gave up ALOT to get Jennings. I can't believe they gave up Taveras....

Willinsa
12-12-2006, 05:55 PM
They gave up a lot for a crappy pitcher.

leemajors
12-12-2006, 06:23 PM
for a righty? we need a lefty dammit. burke better hit, because we are giving up quite a bit defensively with that trade. burke has a 2nd base arm, though he is quick. not as quick as taveras, but quick. maybe they are counting on hunter pence to make a contribution there, because burke is much better suited for where biggio currently is...

MajorMike
12-12-2006, 06:24 PM
Wow. I'm way glad they got rid of Willie T. He was good.

FromWayDowntown
12-12-2006, 07:08 PM
I suspect that the Astros think that Taveras has pretty much topped out and won't ever be much more than a punch-and-judy leadoff guy who can't hit lefties and has a a bad OBP for a leadoff hitter (because he doesn't draw walks and work counts) and some speed, but not really enough to make a difference at the top of a lineup. The Astros already have a #8 hitter in Everett -- they don't really need two of those guys.

It's not as if the Astros lineup was dynamic at any point last season, even with Taveras leading off. I'm not sure that you can expect to win that division if your 1, 7, and 8 hitters are all punchless AND don't get on base, like the Taveras, Ausmus, and Everett are. It's not a bad idea to move Taveras along for some pitching (whether right or left handed) and try to find a more ideal offensive guy to leadoff (and perhaps play CF).

Horry For 3!
12-12-2006, 07:17 PM
Jason Jennings????? :pctoss

johngateswhiteley
12-12-2006, 07:22 PM
...i would of rather had john garland. fucking hell.

Spurminator
12-12-2006, 08:53 PM
Maybe the Astros know something about Hirsh that we don't. Surprised they couldn't get more. Still, Jennings is a good pitcher. This is definitely a "win now" move. Hopefully it's worth it. I never liked Willy T all that much anyway.

leemajors
12-13-2006, 09:28 AM
i heard on the radio this morning the rockies really wanted burke, but the stros refused to part with him... if it was a choice between letting burke go or taveras i guess i can understand that. burke should be a part of the infield for years to come once biggio is gone.

FromWayDowntown
12-13-2006, 10:48 AM
i heard on the radio this morning the rockies really wanted burke, but the stros refused to part with him... if it was a choice between letting burke go or taveras i guess i can understand that. burke should be a part of the infield for years to come once biggio is gone.

That's an easy decision; I'm guessing that the Astros took the best that they could get for Taveras. The longer he stays in the big leagues, the more he's exposed as a guy who's a pitiful leadoff hitter.