PDA

View Full Version : PETA offers solution to players

Pistons < Spurs
12-12-2006, 08:50 PM
An Open Letter to NBA Players

On behalf of the more than 1 million members and supporters of People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) worldwide, I am writing with a solution to the recent drama of a few high-profile NBA players who were whining about fingertip scratches and scrapes caused by the new composite basketball adopted by the league. As excruciating as these “injuries” must be for a world-class athlete, thousands of cows stand to suffer far worse if the NBA goes back to a leather basketball—so we’d like to suggest a compromise.

PETA would like to offer a lifetime supply of cruelty-free hand cream to any NBA siss … excuse me, superstar who’d be willing to give the composite ball another shot. Recreational players and NCAA athletes have been using composite balls for years without experiencing scratches or scrapes—but we understand that the delicate hands of pampered NBA superstars are far more sensitive than those of your average Joe who actually has to work for a living. The hand cream comes in a variety of scents, including “Filthy Rich Organic” (perfect for any overpaid millionaire) and “Peaceful Patchouli”—Nash, we have a whole case of that set aside for you. Maybe by taking care of your own skin a bit better, you can allow cows who would otherwise meet their end in the slaughterhouse to keep theirs.

Shaq, as one of the players who has been most critical of the composite ball, perhaps you’ll volunteer to be our test case—since you’ve only played four games all season, surely you have time to work a moisturizing routine into your schedule. Or LeBron, maybe you’re interested. The NCAA has used the composite ball for years—so it’s not only an education that you missed out on. Maybe you just need some more time to adjust.

In the interest of sparing thousands of cows a hideous, unnecessary death, please consider this suggestion. In the meantime, we wish the NBA luck in its search for leftover leather basketballs—judging by the reaction of some players, it seems like balls are in pretty short supply around the NBA these days.

Sincerely,
Dan Shannon
Manager of Campaigns
People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals

http://blog.peta.org/archives/Letter%20to%20NBA.pdf

TDMVPDPOY
12-12-2006, 08:56 PM
why dont they just use dead animals killed by natural disaster or another statistic on our roads....

Leetonidas
12-12-2006, 08:58 PM
Morons. PETA is fucking gay.

Spurminator
12-12-2006, 09:03 PM
I was on the fence about this whole issue until I learned where PETA stands. Bring back the old ball! The sooner the better!

PM5K
12-12-2006, 09:51 PM
Wouldn't the cows get killed anyway, I doubt they kill the cows for their leather and throw the rest away....

Johnny_Blaze_47
12-12-2006, 09:54 PM
Wouldn't the cows get killed anyway, I doubt they kill the cows for their leather and throw the rest away....

Yep, the balls are made from carcasses of cows slaughtered for food.

In celebration, I think I will get me a double-bacon cheeseburger from Whataburger when I get off of work.

PM5K
12-12-2006, 10:03 PM

In celebration, I think I will get me a double-bacon cheeseburger from Whataburger when I get off of work.

The NBA wants to promote, they can promote that baby!

Get a free mini leather NBA ball with the purchase of a triple meat Whataburger!

Trainwreck2100
12-12-2006, 10:15 PM
PETA is so full of shit, I remember they protested showing the bear getting tranked and falling on a trampoline only to faceplant the ground.

angel_luv
12-12-2006, 10:18 PM
That letter is just uncalled for. If you have a valid point and suggestion, just make it. No need to resort to sarcasm and name calling.

angel_luv
12-12-2006, 10:19 PM

That's almost recycling. Surely some nature group supports it.

Johnny_Blaze_47
12-12-2006, 10:24 PM
That letter is just uncalled for. If you have a valid point and suggestion, just make it. No need to resort to sarcasm and name calling.

I think that's the most pissed-off I've ever read A_L.

resistanze
12-12-2006, 10:25 PM
I'm frying up 10 Steaks tonight. I'll only eat one.

Johnny_Blaze_47
12-12-2006, 10:25 PM
The NBA wants to promote, they can promote that baby!

Get a free mini leather NBA ball with the purchase of a triple meat Whataburger!

I'd pay the extra few cents for the extra meat if that were the promotion tonight.

angel_luv
12-12-2006, 10:31 PM
I think that's the most pissed-off I've ever read A_L.

:lol I'm not mad, just in no nonsense mode. :)

dimsah
12-12-2006, 10:48 PM
why dont they just use dead animals killed by natural disaster or another statistic on our roads....Not sure how good a bounce you can get from an armadillo ball, but
hell it's worth a shot.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/e7/ColonelO%27Hara.jpg

JMarkJohns
12-12-2006, 10:58 PM
Just for that letter, I'm going to order a dozen pounds of veal... or little baby cows, as them PETA folks would stress!

Honey! I'm bringin' home the fatted calf!

I'm going to start my own agency.

P.E.T.S.

People for the Ethical Treatment of Superstars

The creed: We find it wholly unethical that animals like Nash, Shaq and LeBron must suffer cuts and blisters on the tips of their fingers as they attempt to grind out a living, only to let some lazy heffer lay on its fat ass and eat grass all day.

Consider this a call to action!

All together now... "I'm a friend of PETS!!! I'm a friend of PETS!!!"

Kermit
12-12-2006, 11:37 PM
look, you guys can put peta down all you want but they have a point. nba players are whiny pussies. these fuckers cry big tears over the stupidest shit imaginable. that being said, i'm having veal tonight (yes, frogs eat baby calves with muscle atrophy).

baseline bum
12-12-2006, 11:40 PM
I have a better solution. Kill all the PETA losers, and make the balls out of their hides.

Trainwreck2100
12-12-2006, 11:42 PM
look, you guys can put peta down all you want but they have a point. nba players are whiny pussies. these fuckers cry big tears over the stupidest shit imaginable. that being said, i'm having veal tonight (yes, frogs eat baby calves with muscle atrophy).

Yes, the players are pussies, but PETA are even bigger pussies

v2freak
12-13-2006, 12:08 AM
PETA has a tendency to piss people off by using extreme methods of getting a point across. So many people are caught up in how PETA says what they mean, that they focus less on what is actually being said.

IMO NBA players are way too pampered. No one wants their hands cut, but they've been whining nonstop, and surely a compromise of some sort is attainable.

Behrooz24
12-13-2006, 12:10 AM
I hate these PETA bastards but :lol @ dissing Shaq

Condemned 2 HelLA
12-13-2006, 01:03 AM
PETA is so full of shit, I remember they protested showing the bear getting tranked and falling on a trampoline only to faceplant the ground.

That was one great piece of video!

Kori Ellis
12-13-2006, 01:46 AM
That's a ridiculously stupid letter. Like some of you said, the cows are getting killed anyway. And also, it's not like the NBA players are against the use of all composite balls. They are against THIS composite ball because it scrapes up their hands and doesn't work properly.

It's their number one piece of work equipment. In any job, if your main work equipment is injuring you or not working properly, you replace it.

Johnny_Blaze_47
12-13-2006, 01:49 AM
It's their number one piece of work equipment. In any job, if your main work equipment is injuring you or not working properly, you replace it.

Except for that evening LJ's keyboard broke...we had some laughs for a few hours until he replaced it.

dave
12-13-2006, 02:12 AM
Not sure how good a bounce you can get from an armadillo ball, but
hell it's worth a shot.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/e7/ColonelO%27Hara.jpg

correction

http://img243.imageshack.us/img243/7678/crazypacertw8gf7.jpg

im against animal cruelty
but i honestly think PETA is full of dumbasses

Supergirl
12-13-2006, 09:25 AM

Um, yeah, because the the leather industry isn't a separete industry, it's working collaboratively with the beef industry, because they *care* about not being wasteful or excessively cruel. Right.

If you believe that I've got a chunk of the Brooklyn Bridge to sell you...

Supergirl
12-13-2006, 09:26 AM
That's a ridiculously stupid letter. Like some of you said, the cows are getting killed anyway. And also, it's not like the NBA players are against the use of all composite balls. They are against THIS composite ball because it scrapes up their hands and doesn't work properly.

But what about the point about NCAA players using the composite ball without injury for years? Is this accurate? Are they using the same microfiber ball the NBA instituted?

dimsah
12-13-2006, 09:29 AM
But what about the point about NCAA players using the composite ball without injury for years? Is this accurate? Are they using the same microfiber ball the NBA instituted?
It's not the same composite ball. See Kori's post above.

boutons_
12-13-2006, 09:59 AM
This article our our Texas brave, fair-play "sportsmen" friends doesn't merit it own thread, and something PETA would love. :lol

I'm happy to see TX legislators spend their time on major issues facing The Great State of Texas.

====================

BBC NEWS

New bill for blind Texas hunters

Blind hunters would be able to use laser-sighted rifles to hunt animals in Texas, if a bill introduced in the state's legislature is successful.

Republican Edmund Kuempel proposed an amendment to existing law that would permit "legally blind" people to use a laser-sighting device when hunting.

Current Texas law prohibits the use of laser sights, spotlights and headlights for hunting purposes.

A sighted person would be legally required to accompany the blind hunter.

( and a sighted, sober person would required to accompany darth dichead. Would the deer apologize for having been shot at? :lol

Actually, I think letting the legally blind hunt unaccompanied and fully drunk and "no limit" would greatly level the playing field in favor of the hunted and cause even more adrenalin rushes the sighted hunters so crave. :lol
)

"This opens up the fun of hunting to additional people, and I think that's great," said Mr Kuempel.

Sighted guide

Blind hunters are not a new phenomenon in Texas.

Under current procedures, a sighted guide can assist a visually-impaired hunter by peering over the hunter's shoulders and advising where to aim the gun and when to pull the trigger.

However, hunters say that without a laser pointer it is difficult to time the shot.

Laser sights, spotlights and headlights are banned in hunting in Texas, because they can make the animals freeze in their tracks.

( right, no lights makes gun hunting such a "fair" sport, and Macho Men aren't anything if they aren't fair and sporting )

If the bill is passed in when the state legislature reconvenes in January, it will probably not become law until 2008.

Mr Kuempel's bill would give the state until 1 January 2008, to come up with a definition of legally blind so the law could be enforced.

( isn't "legally blind" already defined? I wonder how many hours they will waste (re) defining "legally blind"?

Story from BBC NEWS:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/hi/americas/6173535.stm

Published: 2006/12/12 17:51:22 GMT

© BBC MMVI

cornbread
12-13-2006, 11:21 AM
PETA is trying to call out the NBA?!?!?! :lol :lol :lol :lol

I've yet to understand how an organization who claims to be against ALL animal research/testing can have a Vice-President who is diabetic and uses insulin treatment, a treatment developed through animal research/testing. And that's only one high-profile member who had personal information leaked to the public. I'm sure there are plenty of members/officers who use medical treatments developed through animal testing.

An organization that funds groups that set fire to research labs and then uses the medicine that is developed in these labs deserves ZERO credibility.

This letter just pisses me off because the NBA does a lot of good in the world. A lot of charity time and money comes from the NBA and its players (their own personal initiatives too) but PETA would never write open letter thanking the league and the players for these efforts.

I hope Shaq publicly responds to this asshole. Bring on the Diesel!!!

PM5K
12-13-2006, 11:30 AM
Um, yeah, because the the leather industry isn't a separete industry, it's working collaboratively with the beef industry, because they *care* about not being wasteful or excessively cruel. Right.

It's not that they care about being wasteful or not, it's that they care about their bottom line, and it doesn't make any sense financially to slaughter a cow for it's leather and throw the meat away....

mardigan
12-13-2006, 11:31 AM
The NBA should offer vagina cream back to PETA, sounds like they need it.

DarkReign
12-13-2006, 11:35 AM

Who gives a rats ass? I am all for the ethical treatment mantra, but I eat cows...alot. Pig, deer, etc.

So youre telling me that the leather industry doesnt sell the meat from the hides they collect? Thats complete and utter bullshit and I dont even have to research why I know youre wrong.

$$$ makes the world go around and that meat is worth money.

DarkReign
12-13-2006, 11:35 AM
It's not that they care about being wasteful or not, it's that they care about their bottom line, and it doesn't make any sense financially to slaughter a cow for it's leather and throw the meat away....

You were much more polite, but yeah, same thing.

cheguevara
12-13-2006, 11:47 AM
Lets make balls out of human skin of dead terrorists or better yet, use Stern's excess skin

spurs_fan_in_exile
12-13-2006, 12:14 PM
What a stupid, obnoxious way to try to get your message out. It's a perfectly fine message if that's what they believe but the writing is so juvenile that it actually makes me hate PETA on principle. This is why you don't hear of more people scratching chalkboards for world peace.

cornbread
12-13-2006, 12:17 PM
:clap :clap :clap

PM5K
12-13-2006, 12:26 PM
I think I can sum up how pathetic this is on PETAs part, I actually had to double check that this was legit, I almost thought it was one of those articles from one of those sites where they make up silly stories....

cornbread
12-13-2006, 12:30 PM
The NBA should offer vagina cream back to PETA, sounds like they need it.

They only use all natural vagina cream that is not tested on animals.

PM5K
12-13-2006, 12:31 PM
They only use all natural vagina cream that is not tested on animals.

Is it tested on vaginas?

mardigan
12-13-2006, 12:41 PM
This really makes me think of the PETA South Park episode were all the PETA members live in a outpost and are married too animals. Parker and Stone were dead on

mardigan
12-13-2006, 12:44 PM
All new PETA vaginal cream, tested by Paris Hilton

MosesGuthrie
12-13-2006, 02:18 PM
Im a member of PETA.

People for the Eating of Tasty Animals. :spin

Crookshanks
12-13-2006, 02:22 PM
Don't tell me that all Peta members have sworn off wearing leather shoes or belts or that the hoity-toity ones (like Pamela Anderson) only use vinyl or synthetic purses. Oh, and all those luxury cars they drive - are you telling me they don't have leather seats?

Unless ALL Peta members COMPLETELY swear off ALL leather - they have ZERO credibility!

Oh, and I'm really glad they are bringing back the old ball. If I had time, I would flood Peta's website with pictures of cow carcassas (like in the meatlocker scene in Rocky) or call their number and just mooooo!

2Cleva
12-13-2006, 02:41 PM
Are you sure that letter is legit?

SpursWoman
12-13-2006, 05:45 PM
Are you sure that letter is legit?

That's what I was thinking ... it's too damn stupid to be real. :lol

RonMexico
12-13-2006, 05:57 PM
The South Park episode about PETA says it all...

Extra Stout
12-13-2006, 06:02 PM
PETA has a tendency to piss people off by using extreme methods of getting a point across. So many people are caught up in how PETA says what they mean, that they focus less on what is actually being said.

IMO NBA players are way too pampered. No one wants their hands cut, but they've been whining nonstop, and surely a compromise of some sort is attainable.
PETA is miserable at PR. Horrible. Awful. They drive the general public to eat more meat simply out of spite.

It is not the public's responsibility to listen to whatever a group has to say. It reinforces the self-righteousness and arrogance of the supporters of the organization to believe PETA is owed a forum.

I don't know why PETA can't even practice adult-level civility, much less effective PR. Perhaps they simply are too much a fringe group for that to be expected. Perhaps their message is so unpopular that publicity stunts are the only way to get attention. Or, perhaps they simply are disinterested in persuading the public to change, and merely want to lord their own sense of self-righteousness over the public to those like-minded with them.

phyzik
12-13-2006, 06:07 PM
Or, perhaps they simply are disinterested in persuading the public to change, and merely want to lord their own sense of self-righteousness over the public to those like-minded with them.

BINGO!!! WE HAVE A WINNER!!!

Bring on the beef!! :hungry:

MosesGuthrie
12-13-2006, 09:49 PM
The South Park episode about PETA says it all...

:lmao

well said!

"No......Kill me!"

mardigan
12-14-2006, 12:02 AM
Kill Me!! Killme!! Vote Or Die Mother Fuckers!

jacobdrj
12-14-2006, 02:05 AM

It has nothing to do with caring. It is just good business. Good PR, less waste. More profit. Someone kills the animal for you. Cost of killing goes down. Consolidation of the farms where the animals are produced. They take advantage of the markets of scale and the fact that our food supply is based around beef in the USA.

Supergirl
12-14-2006, 10:54 AM

I agree, it doesn't make sense, but I assure you it happens. Leather is made in an entirely different facility from beef farms, so there is a lot of waste that happens. Leather manufacturers do not produce beef, nor do beef farms produce leather.

ObiwanGinobili
12-14-2006, 10:59 AM
I cannor respect PETA or thier practices. Especially since they are hypocrites.

A friend of mine used to work for PETA - she was fired because when they were doinga random inspection of the lunch room (yes they do that) they found goat yogurt in her lunch bag. Not that a goat ha to sie for her yogurt, but that she was contributing to a goat being used in that way "against it;s will".

ObiwanGinobili
12-14-2006, 11:01 AM
Not that I don;t have a healthy respect for animals, sustainable farming, or this planet.
I purchase almost all of my meats, poultry, and eggs from local, sustainable organic farms and ranches.

But as far as PETA goes...... fuckign crazy loons.

cornbread
12-14-2006, 11:46 AM
I cannor respect PETA or thier practices. Especially since they are hypocrites.

A friend of mine used to work for PETA - she was fired because when they were doinga random inspection of the lunch room (yes they do that) they found goat yogurt in her lunch bag. Not that a goat ha to sie for her yogurt, but that she was contributing to a goat being used in that way "against it;s will".

They sound like a great group of folks to work for.

If PETA audited their employee's lifestyles and fired anybody who broke their main rule of "Total Animal Liberation", I guarantee they would have NO employees left. I usually don't make such "guarantees" that I can't prove but I will go there this time.