View Full Version : NBA Today

ducks
11-05-2004, 10:11 AM
NBA Today

November 5, 2004

SCOREBOARD

Saturday, Nov. 6

ADVERTISEMENT
Sacramento at Houston (8:30 p.m. EST). Tracy McGrady plays his first home game for the Rockets.

STARS

Thursday

-- Dwyane Wade, Heat, scored 28 points in Miami's 92-86 victory over Cleveland.

-- Carmelo Anthony, Nuggets, had 19 points and 14 rebounds to help Denver beat Minnesota 94-92.

SIGNED

New Jersey Nets coach Lawrence Frank signed a four-year, $10 million contract extension Thursday. Frank, who took over the Nets in midseason last year after Byron Scott was fired and promptly won a record 13 straight games, signed the deal Wednesday. He negotiated it himself with help from advisers. Frank posted a 25-15 record in leading the Nets to the Eastern Conference semifinals.

DUD DEBUT

The Charlotte Bobcats opened their first season with a 103-96 loss to the Washington Wizards on Thursday night, failing to become the third consecutive expansion team to win their NBA debut. Replacing the Hornets after they moved to New Orleans in 2002, the Bobcats tried to match Vancouver and Toronto (1995) as inaugural game winners.

SMOOTH START

Emeka Okafor, the No. 2 overall pick in the NBA draft, led Charlotte with 19 points and 10 rebounds in his professional debut. The Bobcats lost their inaugural game to the Wizards 103-96 Thursday night. ... Shaquille O'Neal had 17 points and nine rebounds in his first home game with the Miami Heat, a 92-86 win over Cleveland. ... Kenyon Martin had 18 points and 13 rebounds to help Denver beat the Timberwolves 94-92 in overtime. It was Martin's first home game with the Nuggets.

STRONG IN DEFEAT

Kevin Garnett had 25 points, 15 rebounds, seven assists and five blocked shots for Minnesota in a 94-92, overtime loss to Denver.

SPEAKING

``I guess you see those movies where everyone is like, `Yeah! At least you guys were in there!' I guess I'd rather lose the way we did then get blown out. But I want to win.'' -- Charlotte's Emeka Okafor on the Bobcats' 103-96 loss Thursday night to the Washington Wizards in their inaugural game.