PDA

View Full Version : My beautiful cat is in the hospital

missmyzte
12-13-2006, 05:10 AM
My beautiful cat, Lieto, is staying the night at the hospital. He's been lethargic and not eating/drinking, he started crying so I took him to the emergency vet clinic just down the street. They ran some blood tests and discovered he has kidney failure. There was no urine so they couldn't do a urine analysis, but we don't know if there's no urine because he hasn't been drinking or because he can't produce urine. If it's the latter, then he's got 1-2 days to live.

His temperature was very low so they are trying to warm him up and put him on an IV to get him hydrated (he was severely dehydrated). Then we'll have a better idea as to just how bad his kidneys are. Best case, he's got about a month to live.

Lieto is my baby, I don't know what I'm going to do without him here. He was abandoned when I got him, a vet clinic had found him and taken him in. I happened to talk to one of the girls there who mentioned they had a cat that needed a home, I went to see him and it was love at first sight. I've had him for 10 year, he's about 14 years old (approximately, according to our guesses).

Here's some pictures of him:
http://www.mistilynn.com/temp/122702_Lieto_table.jpg

http://www.mistilynn.com/temp/Photo_020406_003.jpg

http://www.mistilynn.com/temp/Photo_012606_001.jpg

Kori Ellis
12-13-2006, 08:14 AM
Sorry to hear that Misti. He's a beautiful cat.

kingsfan
12-13-2006, 08:30 AM
Very sorry to hear that. He is a very beautiful cat but he'll be in a better place when the time comes.

Taco
12-13-2006, 08:42 AM
Sorry to hear about you cat :(

boutons_
12-13-2006, 09:39 AM
That's beautiful, thick, luxurious coat, looks very healthy and well-cared for, but I bet you'd feel the same if it looked downmarket.

14 years? Isn't that about where cats die of old age?

http://www.messybeast.com/longevity.htm

Samurai Jane
12-13-2006, 10:51 AM
Sorry to hear about your cat. I hope everything works out for you. My husband and I had to put our dog that we've had since we started dating 10 years ago to sleep last night. It's very hard.

missmyzte
12-13-2006, 10:59 AM
I just picked him up from the ER vet, he is more responsive and looks a little better so the fluids helped. He has a portable IV in his leg right now. As soon as his regular vet opens up I'll take him in there.

Sorry to hear about your cat. I hope everything works out for you. My husband and I had to put our dog that we've had since we started dating to sleep last night. It's very hard.
I am so sorry to hear that, it really feels like losing part of your family so I can understand your pain.

Billy Cobham
12-13-2006, 11:13 AM
Get another cat.

missmyzte
12-13-2006, 01:39 PM
He's officially gone, I could have done a lot of treatments to prolong his life a couple weeks but it wasn't fair to him to keep him in that much pain just because I couldn't let go. I had to have him put to sleep. Hardest thing I've ever done.

Kori Ellis
12-13-2006, 01:42 PM
He's officially gone, I could have done a lot of treatments to prolong his life a couple weeks but it wasn't fair to him to keep him in that much pain just because I couldn't let go. I had to have him put to sleep. Hardest thing I've ever done.

How sad. I know it's cliche, but at least he isn't in pain anymore. Sorry Misti. Both you and Jenn (Samurai Jane) are having a hard time today, I'm sure. :( Sorry.

Samurai Jane
12-13-2006, 03:41 PM

I am so sorry.

I am soooo commiserating with you.... :cry :cry :cry

I just wish I could have been there for her... she was always there for me when I was going through my bouts of depression at ASU. :depressed

There was an article on mysa.com today.. very appropriate... http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/metro/stories/MYSA121306.01B.Pet_Tribute.350b8a4.html

703 Spurz
12-13-2006, 04:51 PM

God Bless the little guy. My fam lost our dog a few months ago. It's always a tough time

:cry

screamformelongbeach
12-13-2006, 05:38 PM
This thread breaks my heart. I am so sorry for you. I have a 14 year old cat myself, who is my pride and joy, and I'm going to go home and give him an extra big hug now. :cry

Shelly
12-13-2006, 06:43 PM
:(

We had to do that to our dog when I was a teen. It was so hard and I know when the time comes to put the divadog down, it's gonna break my heart.

SpursWoman
12-13-2006, 07:16 PM
That is so sad ... I'm so sorry, Misti & Jenn.. :(

exstatic
12-13-2006, 08:14 PM
Sorry, Misti. He was a gorgeous cat, and I'm not just saying that because he looks like the male version of my 13 YO female cat.

I had to put down my male cat about 2.5 years ago. He was only 7, but had some sort of asthmatic/allergy attack and was hospitalized for 4-5 days with fluid in his lungs, and just never pulled out of it and started eating again on his own after I brought him home. I tried for like 6 weeks to syringe feed him mashed canned food, but he didn't want to stay in the world. It's a heartbreaker.

However, when shopping for litter and food for my older cat about a month later, I came home from PetsMart with litter, food, and an 8 month old, sweet cat-let. Her name is Penny, and she's about 3 now, and is my total bud. Life throws surprises at you sometimes. :)

RashoFan
12-13-2006, 08:17 PM
Misti and Jenn,
You guys have my sympathies. I am very sorry for your losses. I have had to put 2 cats to sleep due to kidney(renal) failure and both times have been very hard. If you ever need someone to talk to (especially someone who knows what it is like), I am here for you all. I am sending you both a big hug right now.
Misti, Lieto was a very beautiful cat. Jenn, when you feel up to it, I would love to see a pic of your dog.

RashoFan
12-13-2006, 08:23 PM
Sorry, Misti. He was a gorgeous cat, and I'm not just saying that because he looks like the male version of my 13 YO female cat.

I had to put down my male cat about 2.5 years ago. He was only 7, but had some sort of asthmatic/allergy attack and was hospitalized for 4-5 days with fluid in his lungs, and just never pulled out of it and started eating again on his own after I brought him home. I tried for like 6 weeks to syringe feed him mashed canned food, but he didn't want to stay in the world. It's a heartbreaker.

However, when shopping for litter and food for my older cat about a month later, I came home from PetsMart with litter, food, and an 8 month old, sweet cat-let. Her name is Penny, and she's about 3 now, and is my total bud. Life throws surprises at you sometimes. :)

That it does!!! Just this past Friday, a black cat literally walked in the front door and made himself at home, eating out of the food bowls for my other cat and found the litter box right away. I have always wanted a black cat and he is about 5 months old right now( which 5 months ago, I had to put my cat Casey to sleep.Casey was my sweetest,best cat.)...coincidence???

missmyzte
12-13-2006, 08:29 PM
Thanks for everyone's support. To be honest, I didn't know what kind of response I would get posting something so mushy but y'all have been great and it really helps. My house feels so empty without him. I'm gradually putting his things away, like his water bowl, but his Christmas stocking is still hanging on the fireplace.
Thanks everyone!

RashoFan
12-13-2006, 08:41 PM
Keep his stocking up....he will always be with you.

Samurai Jane
12-13-2006, 09:59 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v290/JDJAMEZ/204397143_l.jpg

The little black & white one is Ruby.

missmyzte
12-13-2006, 10:02 PM
He's absolutely beautiful Jenn.

I'm feeling a little better right now, but that might have to do with the bottle of wine I've consumed. Last week was my work's holiday dinner and bossie gave everyone 2 bottles of wine. It was very good.

Samurai Jane
12-13-2006, 11:33 PM
Thanks, she's been my heart since the day I met her and now I feel like there's a little less light in my life.

I still feel like crap.. I had some Korean comfort food, but that was a temporary fix. I came home and had a breakdown again... maybe my boss needs to give me some wine. Ha ha

missmyzte
12-13-2006, 11:39 PM
No, don't drink wine. I ate some beef stew that I hade made last night but just threw it all up, think I drank just a little too much wine. You don't want to do that.

703 Spurz
12-14-2006, 11:27 AM
Keep his stocking up....he will always be with you.

I agree. It's the least us pet-owners can do

Jimcs50
12-14-2006, 01:25 PM
So sorry to hear about your loss. :depressed

We had 2 cats die that we had for 20 yrs and a dog we had for 12 ys all die in 00 and 01, and we felt the same way about them as you do. We have 3 cats and 2 dogs now and they really help you get over your loss. One of my cats in particular is my constant shadow and I swear she is the reincarnation of one of my old cats that passed, because she is almost exactly like her and just as affectionate.

So, now you will grieve, but getting a new cat will help, I promise.

valluco
12-14-2006, 01:46 PM
Wow, that is a beautiful cat. Sorry about your loss. To some people pets are just as much a part of the family as anyone else.

Spurfect
12-14-2006, 02:02 PM
this thread made me cry
I'm sorry for everyone's losses on this thread :cry