PDA

View Full Version : Johnny Ludden : Elson fits with Spurs starters: Center shows off speed, passing among

Bruno
12-13-2006, 05:45 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA121306.01C.BKNspurs.elson.2e77cc1.html

Web Posted: 12/12/2006 10:45 PM CST
Johnny Ludden
Express-News

The first play Francisco Elson made on his first night as the Spurs' starting center was a pass. He caught the ball on the right block, looked as if he were going to post, then shuffled it to Tim Duncan for an easy layup.

The next time down the floor, Elson found Manu Ginobili for an open 3-pointer. Four minutes later, he again kicked the ball out to Ginobili for a three against the Los Angeles Clippers on Monday.

Six minutes, three assists. The fleet-footed Elson didn't look like the second coming of David Robinson as much as he resembled a 7-foot version of Avery Johnson.

"I wanted to post up so bad, but that ain't the game plan," Elson said. "That is not San Antonio's style. The game plan is just to play together.

"So I just kept it to myself, stayed focused and stayed aggressive, went to the glass, looked for the easy passes and tried to make the shots I got."

If the Spurs have been anything this season, it's accommodating. Ginobili has shifted from starter to reserve and back to starter. Brent Barry's shot has remained consistent even on those handful of nights when his minutes haven't.

Last week in Charlotte, Bruce Bowen took just one shot but impacted the game with his defense on Adam Morrison.

The Spurs' big men also have been particularly adept at adhering to their roles. Fabricio Oberto willingly did the dirty work during his first 21 games as the team's starting center: rebounding, setting screens, making the right pass.

Now that Elson has been given the job (at least temporarily), he hopes to do the same again tonight when the Spurs play the Minnesota Timberwolves at the AT&T Center.

"Where as Fabricio is our tank, we have Francisco as our aircraft," Barry said. "The combination of guys makes it great for Tim because he plays with two other guys who are versatile and are willing to sacrifice a lot of their game for the sake of the team.

"And that's really what you need at that position from guys is to be professional and sacrifice. Some nights, we throw them a bone, but a lot of nights, they really have to work hard for the things they get."

Elson totaled eight points, four rebounds, four assists and a pair of steals in 33 minutes during the victory over the Clippers. Spurs coach Gregg Popovich was pleased with the performance, especially considering Elson didn't know he would be starting until less than an hour before tipoff.

"He looked fairly comfortable out there for getting his first start and getting some time with Timmy," Popovich said.

Popovich made the move to give Elson a chance to play more minutes alongside Duncan. Elson also has the speed to keep pace with Tony Parker, which could help fuel the team's transition offense.

"Tony's like a Ferrari," Elson said. "I'm a Porsche."

Oberto still played 16 minutes Monday, and Popovich had enough confidence in his center tandem to give Robert Horry the evening off — something he said he will occasionally do on the second night of back-to-backs. Elson, however, was surprised to receive the start.

"I didn't expect it because Fabricio had been playing so well," he said. "I'm just glad we won. Hopefully, we can get rolling."

Notebook: Ginobili's return from his back injury seems to be going well enough. He's averaged 21 points in 22.3 minutes the past three games. "I really don't feel the back holding me down — only the first game," Ginobili said. ... Duncan said he is among the players whose hands have been cut by the microfiber basketball. He doesn't like the ball but has learned to tolerate it. "I'll play with whatever, as long as it bounces," Duncan said. "The leather one is more consistent. It's what we're used to." ... After making 5 of 6 on 3-pointers Monday — and 46 of 83 for the season (55.4) percent — Barry walked into the locker room and asked, "Are we really going to switch back to the old ball?" He was joking. "Unless it's square," Barry said, "I don't think I'm going to have a problem."

GrandeDavid
12-13-2006, 06:13 AM
I also like the versatility at the center position. I'm still very eager to hear more about Jackie Butler's development. I really hope he's getting the system down, working hard in practice and will be ready to fill a consistent role sometime this season. If he can get semi-polished, it'd be nice to rotate him with Elson and Oberto at center come playoff time.

SCdac
12-13-2006, 07:40 AM
I've been all for Elson starting since day 1. He's just faster and more athletic than our other C's. Exactly what the Spurs have needed more of this past season. A big who can run with Parker and Ginobili, hustle for rebounds, and grab the occasional alley-oop. Can even guard some of the quicker, 3PT shooting, 'bigs' out there. Stark contrast to Nesterovic and Mohammed...

Oberto's efficiency is (very) nice, but I think his impressive play borders on fool's gold. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to see him doing well in the NBA, and I hope he continues, but I don't think it will be him who puts us over the top come the PO's (in terms of big men and matchups). As Barry says, "Where as Fabricio is our tank, we have Francisco as our aircraft". I agree, and moreso, I think we need more of the "aircraft" injected into the lineup. The Spurs could be quite dynamic with Elson getting the majority of minutes at C (ie more running, dishing, and scoring). Keep other teams more on their toes. Oberto, Horry, Bonner, and Butler are better suited coming off the bench imo. Solid glue guys to throw in when the starters are in foul trouble... None the less, I'm Glad to see there's a good amount of competition at C.

Bruno
12-13-2006, 08:12 AM
guys who are versatile and are willing to sacrifice a lot of their game for the sake of the team

And that's why Rasho/Nazr haven't succeed in SA.
Rasho : not versatile enough because he was too slow.
Nazr : not ready to sacrifice his game for the sake of the team.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
12-13-2006, 08:27 AM
After making 5 of 6 on 3-pointers Monday — and 46 of 83 for the season (55.4) percent — Barry walked into the locker room and asked,"Are we really going to switch back to the old ball?" He was joking. "Unless it's square," Barry said, "I don't think I'm going to have a problem."

:lol Barry's a real funny-fuck.

MannyIsGod
12-13-2006, 09:20 AM
I wanna see if the Spurs continue to push the ball tonight early. The combination of Tony Elson and Manu makes for great transition.

AFBlue
12-13-2006, 10:00 AM
I like the idea of starting Elson because he pushes the tempo of the game early and the Spurs have the opportunity to put the game away in the first half.

I don't, however, think that Elson should necessarily receive a bulk of the minutes. One of the prominent themes of this article is the versatility of the Spurs. Their "hero" can be a different player on any given night. I think the minutes have been, and will continue to be, determined by the results of having that player out on the floor. When Oberto went 11 for 11, I wouldn't have switched him out and given Elson minutes just "because".

Bottom Line:

Both players have strengths, and those strengths are different. Pop should continue to play whichever is more effective at the time and I'm sure it'll all come out in the wash.

Side Note: It's never a bad thing to have two productive bigs alongside Duncan. I'm glad it's turning out that way...

ShoogarBear
12-13-2006, 10:04 AM
I don't, however, think that Elson should necessarily receive a bulk of the minutes. With Pop's rotations, there's little chance of that. In fact, I bet Oberto is back starting soon, and this pattern to be repeated through most of the year.

boutons_
12-13-2006, 10:07 AM
So Elson is forbidden to post up?
Maybe he could show Tim some real power moves.

AFBlue
12-13-2006, 10:09 AM
So Elson is forbidden to post up?
Maybe he could show Tim some real power moves.

:lol Boy I bet he could really throw his weight around...all 220 pounds of it!

VaSpursFan
12-13-2006, 10:14 AM
I wanna see if the Spurs continue to push the ball tonight early. The combination of Tony Elson and Manu makes for great transition.

this is what excites me, the ferrari and the porsche on the break. it is so exciting to see an agile and athletic center in the middle again. elson, hands down, can outrun any center or pf in this league. i know we are a methodical half-court team but i hope pop capitalizes on the easy transition baskets elson can get us.

phyzik
12-13-2006, 10:17 AM
With Pop's rotations, there's little chance of that. In fact, I bet Oberto is back starting soon, and this pattern to be repeated through most of the year.

I expect it will be repeated alot as well.... Makes for a matchup nightmare for other teams.... who are the Spurs going to start today? Now if only everyone on the team can stay consistant. :lol

boutons_
12-13-2006, 10:52 AM
Power isn't only a fat-assed Shaq bulldozing with his huge butt and 350 lbs.

TDMVPDPOY
12-13-2006, 11:06 AM
so where are the cuts on tims hands?

AFBlue
12-13-2006, 11:11 AM
Power isn't only a fat-assed Shaq bulldozing with his huge butt and 350 lbs.

Then where would he derive his power from? His legs? Those things are skinny as toothpicks. I know you don't have to have girth to get "power" in the low post, but he doesn't have girth OR strength that I've seen.

The one thing he does have though, is length and apparently a decent hook. So that's good.

Notorious H.O.P.
12-13-2006, 12:53 PM
I also like the versatility at the center position. I'm still very eager to hear more about Jackie Butler's development. I really hope he's getting the system down, working hard in practice and will be ready to fill a consistent role sometime this season. If he can get semi-polished, it'd be nice to rotate him with Elson and Oberto at center come playoff time.

Butler looked lost again in the few minutes he got. I know a lot of us where hoping that he might be ready around playoff time but I'm starting to wonder if he'll be on the shelf all season. I know it is only six weeks into the season but he looks WAY behind on his knowledge of our system.

mardigan
12-13-2006, 01:02 PM
Its also nice having a center who can grab an offensive rebound and finish around the basket with a dunk, been awhile since we had that

MoSpur
12-13-2006, 01:56 PM
I like Elson, but at the same time he misses up when he's out there. He doesn't set good picks and hasn't seemed to pick up the Spurs defense. However, he runs the floor well and gives the Spurs they haven't had in a while, which is a center who can run the floor. He finishes well at isn't afraid to take it hard to the basket.

Kori Ellis
12-13-2006, 01:57 PM
Butler looked lost again in the few minutes he got. I know a lot of us where hoping that he might be ready around playoff time but I'm starting to wonder if he'll be on the shelf all season. I know it is only six weeks into the season but he looks WAY behind on his knowledge of our system.

Pop said recently that Butler and White are on the Stephen Jackson plan. Meaning they are learning this year and won't play many minutes until next year, barring injuries.

Notorious H.O.P.
12-13-2006, 03:01 PM
I know we have Butler locked up for three years but what did White sign for?

itzsoweezee
12-13-2006, 03:03 PM
I think the minutes have been . . . determined by the results of having that player out on the floor

that is definitely not true. there is no rational explanation for the player rotations pop has been using (as usual). hopefully that'll change.

Kori Ellis
12-13-2006, 03:05 PM

His contract isn't even guaranteed for this whole season. If they haven't cut him by January 10th(?) then they need to guarantee him for the rest of the year. Then I believe they have a team option for next year.

Axl Van Dam
12-13-2006, 06:12 PM

:reading James White=Insurance Policy :reading

Axl Van Dam
12-13-2006, 06:17 PM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA121306.01C.BKNspurs.elson.2e77cc1.html

Web Posted: 12/12/2006 10:45 PM CST
Johnny Ludden
Express-News

The first play Francisco Elson made on his first night as the Spurs' starting center was a pass. He caught the ball on the right block, looked as if he were going to post, then shuffled it to Tim Duncan for an easy layup.

The next time down the floor, Elson found Manu Ginobili for an open 3-pointer. Four minutes later, he again kicked the ball out to Ginobili for a three against the Los Angeles Clippers on Monday.

Six minutes, three assists. The fleet-footed Elson didn't look like the second coming of David Robinson as much as he resembled a 7-foot version of Avery Johnson.

"I wanted to post up so bad, but that ain't the game plan," Elson said. "That is not San Antonio's style. The game plan is just to play together.

"So I just kept it to myself, stayed focused and stayed aggressive, went to the glass, looked for the easy passes and tried to make the shots I got."

If the Spurs have been anything this season, it's accommodating. Ginobili has shifted from starter to reserve and back to starter. Brent Barry's shot has remained consistent even on those handful of nights when his minutes haven't.

Last week in Charlotte, Bruce Bowen took just one shot but impacted the game with his defense on Adam Morrison.

The Spurs' big men also have been particularly adept at adhering to their roles. Fabricio Oberto willingly did the dirty work during his first 21 games as the team's starting center: rebounding, setting screens, making the right pass.

Now that Elson has been given the job (at least temporarily), he hopes to do the same again tonight when the Spurs play the Minnesota Timberwolves at the AT&T Center.

"Where as Fabricio is our tank, we have Francisco as our aircraft," Barry said. "The combination of guys makes it great for Tim because he plays with two other guys who are versatile and are willing to sacrifice a lot of their game for the sake of the team.

"And that's really what you need at that position from guys is to be professional and sacrifice. Some nights, we throw them a bone, but a lot of nights, they really have to work hard for the things they get."

Elson totaled eight points, four rebounds, four assists and a pair of steals in 33 minutes during the victory over the Clippers. Spurs coach Gregg Popovich was pleased with the performance, especially considering Elson didn't know he would be starting until less than an hour before tipoff.

"He looked fairly comfortable out there for getting his first start and getting some time with Timmy," Popovich said.

Popovich made the move to give Elson a chance to play more minutes alongside Duncan. Elson also has the speed to keep pace with Tony Parker, which could help fuel the team's transition offense.

"Tony's like a Ferrari," Elson said. "I'm a Porsche."

Oberto still played 16 minutes Monday, and Popovich had enough confidence in his center tandem to give Robert Horry the evening off — something he said he will occasionally do on the second night of back-to-backs. Elson, however, was surprised to receive the start.

"I didn't expect it because Fabricio had been playing so well," he said. "I'm just glad we won. Hopefully, we can get rolling."

Notebook: Ginobili's return from his back injury seems to be going well enough. He's averaged 21 points in 22.3 minutes the past three games. "I really don't feel the back holding me down — only the first game," Ginobili said. ... Duncan said he is among the players whose hands have been cut by the microfiber basketball. He doesn't like the ball but has learned to tolerate it. "I'll play with whatever, as long as it bounces," Duncan said. "The leather one is more consistent. It's what we're used to." ... After making 5 of 6 on 3-pointers Monday — and 46 of 83 for the season (55.4) percent — Barry walked into the locker room and asked, "Are we really going to switch back to the old ball?" He was joking. "Unless it's square," Barry said, "I don't think I'm going to have a problem."

:hungry: Elson was a real good pick-up in the off season. I believe he'll be a big help come the playoffs. Denver's already kicking their ass for letting this guy go. All he needed was a bit more playing time to strut his stuff. But when you have Camby, Kenyon Martin and Nene, playing time was hard to come by.