PDA

View Full Version : ICE Raids Swift Plants

xrayzebra
12-13-2006, 10:44 AM
Now the ACLU, LULAC and sundry other groups will start their thing.
And we will hear more of the "violation of human rights".

Raids in 6 States Met With Anger, Cheers
Email this Story

Dec 13, 5:31 AM (ET)

By KIM NGUYEN

(AP) Federal ICE agents stand guard at the entrance of at a Swift & Company meat processing during a...
Full Image

GREELEY, Colo. (AP) - Outside a meatpacking plant fence here, a frustrated Tony Garcia watched as Immigration and Customs Enforcement agents swarmed inside.

"We need help," he yelled to them. "We need answers."

There were few of those Tuesday as agents began their initial sweep through Swift & Co. plants in six states, arresting illegal immigrants who had bought or stolen other people's identities to help them get Swift jobs.

Garcia, who said he has friends who work at the Greeley plant, was worried about the fate of schoolchildren whose parents were arrested. "Who is going to pick them up?" he asked.

The raids capped a 10-month investigation into an identity-theft scheme that may have hundreds of victims, both U.S. citizens and legal residents, officials said.

Authorities did not say how mnay people were arrested at the plants in Greeley; Grand Island, Neb.; Cactus, Texas; Hyrum, Utah; Marshalltown, Iowa; and Worthington, Minn.

The United Food and Commercial International Workers union said it would ask federal judges in all six states to halt the raids. Union spokeswoman Jill Cashen said attorneys were gathering details before filing the requests.

No charges had been filed against Swift. In a written statement, President and CEO Sam Rovit said the company has never knowingly hired illegal workers and does not condone the practice.

Immigration officials last month informed Swift that it would remove unauthorized workers on Dec. 4, but Swift asked a federal judge to prevent agents from conducting the raid, arguing it would cause "substantial and irreparable injury" to its business.

Swift estimated that a raid would remove up to 40 percent of its 13,000 workers. After a closed hearing, a judge on Thursday rejected Swift's request, clearing the way for the raids.

The six Swift plants targeted Tuesday represents all of the company's domestic beef processing capacity and 77 percent of its pork processing capacity. Greeley-based Swift describes itself as the world's second-largest meat processor with sales of about $9 billion.

Swift uses a government pilot program to confirm whether Social Security numbers are valid. Company officials have raised questions about the program's ability to detect when two people are using the same number.

Advocates of stricter immigration control praised the raids, pointing out they targeted people suspected of committing other crimes in addition to entering the nation illegally.

"I'm glad that ICE is enforcing our immigration laws in light of the illegal immigration crisis we face across the country," Sen. Wayne Allard, R-Colo., said in a statement.

Others criticized the effect on families or called the raids heavy-handed.

"They are taking mothers and fathers and we're really concerned about the children," said the Rev. Clarence Sandoval of St. Thomas Aquinas Roman Catholic Church in Logan, Utah. "I'm getting calls from mothers saying they don't know where their husband was taken," he said.

Mexico's Foreign Relations Department pledged to ensure that any Mexicans caught up in Tuesday's raid have "their human rights fully respected, and are given all the necessary assistance, orientation and consular protection."

Immigration agents have also staged immigration raids at poultry plants in the South. In July 2005, nearly 120 people were arrested at an Arkadelphia, Ark., facility. Three months ago, agents raided a poultry plant in Stillmore, Ga., arresting a similar number who worked there or lived in surrounding counties.

===============================================

40 percent of it's 13,000 workers. But I thought they checked all
their workers to be sure they are in country legally. How do they
know that 40 percent will be affected?

Crookshanks
12-13-2006, 11:22 AM
:clap for ICE and a big :nope for Swift Company!

I love this - "we don't knowingly hire illegals and we don't condone the practice." And then later - "about 40% of our workforce will be removed."

The first quote is for the lawyers and media - the second quote is the reality of the company "policies".

johnsmith
12-13-2006, 11:41 AM
Just talked to a buddy of mine that is an ICE agent in Denver. He was involved in the raid. They got 240 of the plants 1200 employees. He said that everyone was pretty much cooperative aside from the few that tried to hide around the plant. A SWAT team from Miami had to be flown in to control the media and the protestors, he said there were quite a few protestors, mainly family members because the raid was leaked to the media the day before and they knew what was going to happen (why the illegals went to work is unclear to me).

The Texas plant lost over 600 illegals to the raid.

johnsmith
12-13-2006, 12:10 PM
Anyone care to place an over/under on how long it takes the government to subsidize the welfare for the children of the illegals being deported? This will end up costing as much as the entire raid.

xrayzebra
12-13-2006, 01:38 PM
Or better, call off these raids, since the dimm-o-craps are in charge now. I would
guess that ICE phones are ringing off the hook. It has happened in the past, yeah,
even the Republicans are calling them, on the quite. The dimm-o-craps will call
a news conference.

ChumpDumper
12-13-2006, 01:59 PM
How much do you guys want to pay for bologna and vienna sausages anyway?

xrayzebra
12-13-2006, 03:03 PM
How much do you guys want to pay for bologna and vienna sausages anyway?

Oh, I don't know. I pay pretty good price now for bologna. Of course I
like Boar's Head and it is kinda pricey. But at least HEB finally started
carrying it.

The Wets keeping prices down is all a crock anyhow. Look at the price
of produce now days. Especially tomatoes.

ChumpDumper
12-13-2006, 03:06 PM
keeping prices down is all a crock anyhow.:lol

xrayzebra
12-13-2006, 03:09 PM
^^Gee. you are easily amused.

ChumpDumper
12-13-2006, 03:10 PM
Ignorance is funny.

xrayzebra
12-13-2006, 03:14 PM
Got to love it. If you disagree just call them ignorant, dumb, biggoted or whatever.
Then you got it covered.

ChumpDumper
12-13-2006, 03:28 PM
Well, "The Wets" phrase proves you're a bigot, so you covered that yourself.

Thanks for your help.

xrayzebra
12-13-2006, 03:33 PM
^^Common accept term. Used commonly along the border and elsewhere. They
do wade the river in Texas or swim. Hence the term wetback. It has no negative
connotation, other than a person who is "illegal.

ChumpDumper
12-13-2006, 03:35 PM
Used commonly along the border and elsewhere.By bigots.

clambake
12-13-2006, 03:42 PM
I thought Carroll O'Conner was dead?

xrayzebra
12-13-2006, 03:44 PM

That is what you get for thinking. You want to be careful, you will injure
yourself...... :p:

sandman
12-13-2006, 03:45 PM

Yeah, but thankfully we still have Michael Richards.

xrayzebra
12-13-2006, 03:45 PM
By bigots.

Now you have it covered. Go back to work. :clap

clambake
12-13-2006, 03:48 PM
Yea, they like it when you call them that.

Yonivore
12-13-2006, 03:52 PM
Well, "The Wets" phrase proves you're a bigot, so you covered that yourself.
Why is that? If he applies the term to people who cross the Rio Grande illegally, it's a fair characterization.

If he applies it to all Mexican immigrants, you have a point.

In the context of this thread, I believe the term "wetback" is not a racial epithet as much as a statement on their immigration status.

Once again, I think your sensitivity to certain terms makes you the bigot. I don't immediately associate the term "wetback" with all Mexicans just those that illegally cross the border. That you consider it a racial epithet means you do -- or, that you believe those who use it do, which means, yep, you do.

ChumpDumper
12-13-2006, 03:54 PM
Hey, you don't need to try to justify your bigotry. It's no big deal. Just be who you are.

Yonivore
12-13-2006, 03:55 PM
Oh, and clambake, even though I have you on ignore, I'd like to respond to your ignorant Carroll O'Connor nonsense.

The character of Archie Bunker, brought to life by O'Connor, was a caricature of bigots intended to show the irrationality, and extremism of their prejudice. The entire show was intended to make fun of bigots and it did so masterfully. Carroll O'Connor was anything but a bigot. And, considering "Meathead" what'sis'face is a lunatic lefty these days, I would have thought you'd of gotten the memo on that.

Yonivore
12-13-2006, 04:01 PM
Hey, you don't need to try to justify your bigotry. It's no big deal. Just be who you are.
The "I-know-you-are-but-what-am-I" defense is so very Pee Wee Hermanish.

The fact remains, in the context of illegal immigration, people who cross the border from Mexico into Texas have to do so across the Rio Grande and, have, been called wetbacks which, has more to do with their method of entering our country than their race.

johnsmith
12-13-2006, 04:02 PM
Someone once told me that border patrol calls them "Tonk's" because that's the sound the flashlight makes when you hit them over the head with one.

clambake
12-13-2006, 04:03 PM
I was just hoping that ray was pretending to be Archie Bunker. You bigots sure do stick together.

xrayzebra
12-13-2006, 04:05 PM

Aren't you the same person who called Cuellar a coconut. I think so.

And can you find a more biggoted term?

clambake
12-13-2006, 04:08 PM
Coconut? I don't get it.

Yonivore
12-13-2006, 04:10 PM
Aren't you the same person who called Cuellar a coconut. I think so.

And can you find a more biggoted term?
Well, if that's true, the term "coconut" is a racial epithet.

What say you ChunkDumper?

johnsmith
12-13-2006, 04:11 PM
Wow, talk about going off-topic. We're not even half way through two pages from the beginning of this thread and it's a battle over who's more racist.

clambake
12-13-2006, 04:12 PM
Coconut? Can't be very racial if it's not known.

clambake
12-13-2006, 04:13 PM
Hey. you're the one who gave us tonk.

xrayzebra
12-13-2006, 04:14 PM

HUH?

johnsmith

"Moon Cricket's" not very well known, but that's racial.

johnsmith
Hey. you're the one who gave us tonk.

:lol
I'm never telling a story on this site again.

clambake
12-13-2006, 04:16 PM
Alright, you got me. What's a moon cricket?

johnsmith
12-13-2006, 04:18 PM

Derived from early slave times when black people would come out at night and sing slave songs under the moonlight like crickets

xrayzebra

Have to agree with your here clam. What is a moon cricket?

johnsmith
I had to google to get the exact definition.

Let me assure everyone though, I've never used that term in my life prior to right now.

xrayzebra
12-13-2006, 04:19 PM
Derived from early slave times when black people would come out at night and sing slave songs under the moonlight like crickets

That is news to me. Never heard the story or phrase.

clambake
12-13-2006, 04:20 PM
Didn't know that. How about coconut?

johnsmith
12-13-2006, 04:21 PM
Didn't know that. How about coconut?

It's a fruit.........duh. :spin

sandman
12-13-2006, 04:25 PM
Coconut is used with Hispanics the same way Oreo is used for Black people or Apple is used with American Indians.

Brown/Black/Red on the outside, White on the inside.

It is a slur designed to confer that one has "sold out" one's ethnicity to be accepted by the majority.

clambake
12-13-2006, 04:25 PM
It's a fruit. oh yea. Delicious!

Yonivore
12-13-2006, 04:26 PM
It's a fruit.........duh. :spin
Refers to a race whose skin color is associated with that of the color of the outside of a coconut acting like a person whose skin color is associated with that of the color of the inside of a coconut.

See also, Oreo.

johnsmith
12-13-2006, 04:26 PM
Coconut is used with Hispanics the same way Oreo is used for Black people or Apple is used with American Indians.

It is a slur designed to confer that one has "sold out" one's ethnicity to be accepted by the majority.

What are 16 year old white kids that pretend they're black then? Chocolate covered pretzels?

Yonivore
12-13-2006, 04:27 PM

However, in contemporary parlance, Oreo and Coconut are most commonly used by the Left to describe conservatives in their respective racial groups.

sandman
12-13-2006, 04:28 PM
What are 16 year old white kids that pretend they're black then? Chocolate covered pretzels?

Ask NorCal

johnsmith
This thread is making me hungry.

clambake
Majority huh. Might have to make changes pretty soon, regarding their definition.

Yonivore
Nah, you've got that brown outer skin on the pretzel.

sandman
12-13-2006, 04:29 PM
However, in contemporary parlance, Oreo and Coconut are most commonly used by the Left to describe conservatives in their respective racial groups.

Still a slur, intimating that by being a Conservative they have betrayed their ethnic group socially and politically.

sandman
12-13-2006, 04:30 PM
Majority huh. Might have to make changes pretty soon, regarding their definition.

Majority relative to the dispensation in which the terms were coined.

clambake
12-13-2006, 04:31 PM
I think tonk sounds better.

Yonivore
12-13-2006, 04:39 PM
Still a slur, intimating that by being a Conservative they have betrayed their ethnic group socially and politically.
Oh, I agree.

01Snake
12-13-2006, 07:02 PM

These are called Wiggers. I hate them.

John, I have heard the term moon crickets before.

As far as the term "wetback", my hispanic friends use it more than anyone. I think its simply the fact that they, as second and third generation immigrants, look down on illegals.

Johnny_Blaze_47
12-13-2006, 08:02 PM
Far be it for me to interrupt a "Who's the Racist" thread, but the Dallas Morning News had a pretty good series about the Swift plant and the city of Cactus, TX and how many of the workers were undocumented workers.

Just some background...

(Side note: While looking for the link, the headline at DallasNews.com says 1,282 were arrested in yesterday's raids).

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/news/longterm/stories/cactus.4e62370.html