PDA

View Full Version : Coaching Help...

gophergeorge
11-05-2004, 10:44 AM
I have the pleasure of "coaching" a group of Five (5) year-olds...

They use size 4 basketballs, but the rim is the same...

Any ideas?

I plan on teaching them fundamentals and running a 2 -3 zone, with trapping the ball down low. Offense will be a four-corner with dump-ins to my "big guy".

We can press at half court...

Brodels
11-05-2004, 10:47 AM
I once worked with a friend who worked with kids of the same age, and I'll tell you that it's very difficult to teach them to do anything but create chaos on the court.

In my opinion, even teaching them a zone and trapping defense is too much. As far as having a set offense? Good luck. If you can manage it, I commend you.

If you can teach them to dribble, pass, and stay with their man at least some of the time, you'll be doing a great job.

mouse
11-05-2004, 10:49 AM
Do they want to be like Mike?

http://www.forartist.com/forensic/modification/mj/mjscan.jpg

gophergeorge
11-05-2004, 10:54 AM
I once worked with a friend who worked with kids of the same age, and I'll tell you that it's very difficult to teach them to do anything but create chaos on the court.

In my opinion, even teaching them a zone and trapping defense is too much. As far as having a set offense? Good luck. If you can manage it, I commend you.

If you can teach them to dribble, pass, and stay with their man at least some of the time, you'll be doing a great job.

The first practice went better than expected... I did buy them each a ball, saying that "this is YOUR ball, don't fight over the ball when we are on the court, because you already have one". It seemed to work, for now.

I also got a four pound med ball to work on their strength...

Anybody out there want to "sponsor" my team? All I need is 9 pairs of kids shoes.... I bought their knee pads..

Man In Black
11-05-2004, 11:00 AM
coachesclipboard.net

Solid D
11-05-2004, 11:01 AM
My advice is don't take it too seriously and let them have fun while learning BASICS.

Oh, and please don't be one of those coaches that yells at them all the time to go here and go there. It is totally annoying and they'll just tune you out after a while. Besides, their parents do it enough as it is.

I know because I was tempted to do that when I have coached the little ones.

gophergeorge
11-05-2004, 11:03 AM
My advice is don't take it too seriously and let them have fun while learning BASICS.

Oh, and please don't be one of those coaches that yells at them all the time to go here and go there. It is totally annoying and they'll just tune you out after a while. Besides, their parents do it enough as it is.

I know because I was tempted to do that when I have coached the little ones.

Dude,

Don't worry.... I won't.

I act as goofy as I can around them... I sit on the floor with them...

I've been shot at.... I know what is serious, and what is not.

Tonto
11-05-2004, 11:44 AM
Tonto not understand pale face. him teach um kids basketball when pale face should teach kids hunting and fighting skills and use peace pipe.
Tonto not proud.

Sportcamper
11-05-2004, 11:48 AM
Hehehehe this is my kind of thread.....

You will find that come game time, you will have one or two, (at best)... ball handlers & the rest of the team jogs aimlessly up and down the court...Often not even knowing which direction to run.... :lol I really doubt you will teach them a whole lot...

But my best trick was to teach the forwards where to stand....And then to have the assistant coaches, Moms or Dads work with them on the rebounds & simply catching the ball & putting it back up...This is where you will score your points...Your game will be extremely low scoring...

Good Luck Coach... (Also I brought an ice chest of ice cream & treats for every player that made it to practice) We all kind of looked like Shawn Kemp by the end of the season & had a pretty good year..... :spin

tekdragon
11-05-2004, 11:54 AM
...and use peace pipe.

I would like to apply for the position of "Peace Pipe Coordinator"...

Sportcamper
11-05-2004, 11:56 AM
Also remember that how high a child can jump has no impact on rebounds at this age...Its how high they place their hands...Most children will keep their hands at their chest & wait for the ball to hit them... Teach them to keep their hands over their heads & work for position...Most children are shy & don’t like contact....

Also find a Malcolm in the middle Dad to video games and make copies....Kids love to watch themselves on video & they really have no idea what they are doing out there until they see themselves...

Tonto
11-05-2004, 12:05 PM
I would like to apply for the position of "Peace Pipe Coordinator"...

come to GTG Tonto share with pale face spur fans, smoke with Tonto make me proud

Solid D
11-05-2004, 12:12 PM
Teach them to keep their hands over their heads & work for position...Most children are shy & don’t like contact....Sportcamper

Yes, and you know what...Rasho still needs to learn this. Maybe he could read your post, too, Sportcamper.

BigVee
11-05-2004, 12:18 PM
5 years old??? Man, I have coached kids as young as 10-12 thru high school, but I cannot imagine coaching basketball to 5 year olds. If I were you I would plan on drinking a lot.

timvp
11-05-2004, 12:29 PM
All I will say is don't let them take it too seriously. When I was nine, I turned my five year old brother into the best five year old player on the earth. He would dominate everyone his age. In his leagues, he'd score more points himself than the other teams. I forced him to practice five hours a day with me and my friends and he continued getting better as he got older.

By high school he didn't like basketball anymore and begged to my parents to let him quit. Despite that, he was one of the better players in the city. By his senior year, he totally hated it.

Now he's at Yale and hasn't played basketball since he got there, even though he could have easily walked on to their basketball team.

So moral of the story is don't burn them out too early :hat

Carnie
11-05-2004, 12:31 PM
5 years old? how tall are they? maybe me and sequ can join. :lmao

"shake some Dust"

samikeyp
11-05-2004, 12:32 PM
GG..."four-down"! :p

fonzy16
11-05-2004, 01:25 PM
From my coaching experiences, 5 year olds teach only the three basics: shot, dribble, pass.

Passing:form a circle of 5 kids give them the ball and they shoud only pass across as ouickly as posible. Here you can even use the med-ball (dont know how much is 4 pounds, if it's to much) to improve strenght, then give them the regular ball. After a whilen use 2-3 kid trying to steal the ball.

Dribbling: dribble the ball with left, then right hand across the court. Use obsticals (chairs or smth.) and dribble around

Shoting: deepends on the strenght of the kids but it's impossible to teach kids at that age a right shot. Just try to teach them to score of the backboard.

Use stories.

For defense, i thought kids The Cawboy. I told them, that when in defense you are like a cowboy with two pistols. You have to position yourself so that, with one pistol you allways aim at the one you are guarding and with the other the ball. Sou you have your eyes allways on the ball and your guy, each hand pointing in that direction.

Anyhow coaching kids - you have to make it fun with stories and playing. Dont make it dull.

i hope you win the championship :)

fonzy16
11-05-2004, 01:29 PM
oh and teach them the Spurs are the best team and the others suck.

gophergeorge
11-05-2004, 01:47 PM
Great ideas!

Many thanks to all... and keep them coming!!!

Carnie
11-05-2004, 02:21 PM
how about you do like Peter Holt and have a few drinks before each game? :lmao

"Shake some Dust"

gophergeorge
11-05-2004, 02:23 PM
how about you do like Peter Holt and have a few drinks before each game? :lmao

"Shake some Dust"

That shit ain't funny.

Carnie
11-05-2004, 02:29 PM
That shit ain't funny.

you might have a point. maybe your right folks should not use the www to make jokes and have fun, you seem like a man who has a short fuse are you sure you should be coaching young kids?

gophergeorge
11-05-2004, 02:34 PM
No, I don't have a short fuse.

Just give MY owner a break. He was/is sick and probably busting his ass to stay sober.

I'd expect the same from you if I cracked on your owner.

mouse
11-05-2004, 02:34 PM
That shit ain't funny.
wow what grammer how can my kid sign up also? :lmao

FromWayDowntown
11-05-2004, 02:36 PM
I helped coach a bunch of 7-9 year olds a couple of years ago -- none had any experience playing organized basketball, so we had to literally start from scratch. We had 10 kids, so we spent the first couple of practices just teaching rules and drilling on dribbling, passing, and defending -- just a very little bit of shooting. For the first game, we gave them each a number and a place to stand, and felt pretty good about them getting to the right spot on each trip. From that, we expanded out into marginally more complicated things as the weeks passed. The second week we worked more on shooting, but added rebounding. The next week, we started talking about screens and so on. It was kind of interesting to watch, because a team that lost 26-2 in its first game, ended up winning two of its last three.

I would definitely agree with those who say to take it easy with them and help them to enjoy learning about the game.

mouse
11-05-2004, 02:37 PM
No, I don't have a short fuse.

Just give MY owner a break. He was/is sick and probably busting his ass to stay sober.

I'd expect the same from you if I cracked on your owner.

crack on Mark Cuban? be my guest make sure its funny also...

do me a favor and go find a tree and start hugging it. :lmao

gophergeorge
11-05-2004, 02:40 PM
crack on Mark Cuban? be my guest make sure its funny also...

do me a favor and go find a tree and start hugging it. :lmao

Up yours Mouse.... :)

Ya need some beer money? Ask your sister for some dough... I just gave her 50 bucks for the best blow job I've had in years! :)

mouse
11-05-2004, 02:43 PM
Up yours Mouse... Ask your sister for some dough... I just gave her 50 bucks for the best blow job I've had in years! :)

you don't have to tell me I sleep with her. :lmao

Phenomanul
11-05-2004, 04:17 PM
No Comment :oops

mouse
11-05-2004, 04:21 PM
No Comment :oops

Don't worry we live in a trailer it's leagal :lmao

slayermin
11-05-2004, 07:10 PM
Do they want to be like Mike?

http://www.forartist.com/forensic/modification/mj/mjscan.jpg

As long as they don't want to be with Mike.

ShoogarBear
11-05-2004, 08:46 PM
Damn, timvp, if you have kids, you're going to be like the Vic Morrow character in Bad News Bears.

:lol