PDA

View Full Version : Some Choices for Democrats in 2008..

JoeChalupa
11-05-2004, 10:46 AM
Okay, I've gotten our the election results and a little pissed off right now, at young voters who are officially told to fuck off until you actually prove you will vote, at Kerry for never going for the jugular because it wasn't "presidential" and at Rove for successfully building this re-election.
So as a therepeutic excercise, I am going to list Democrats who could run in 2008 in case something happens to McCain and he can't save us all in four years. I'm sorry Hillary has no chance of winning, because only blind democrats would ever vote for her.
The only Democrats that would vote for her are the same ones who would vote for George Wallace if they could dig him up and nail him to a podium.
So here's a list of all Democrats I think should look into the possibility:

Bill Richardson- Governor, New Mexico
Blanche Lambert Lincoln- Senator, Arkansas
Barbara Boxer- Senator, California
Bill Nelson- Senator, Florida
B. Evan Bayh- Senator, Indiana
Tom Harkin- Senator, Iowa
Mary L. Landrieu- Senator, Louisiana
Max S. Baucus- Senator, Montana
Harry Reid- Senator, Nevada
Jeff Bingaman- Senator, New Mexico
Kent Conrad- Senator, North Dakota
Ron Wyden- Senator, Oregon
Maria Cantwell- Senator, Washington
John D. Rockefeller- Senator, West Virginia
Russell Feingold- Senator, Wisconsin
Janet Napolitano- Governor, Arizona
Rod R. Blagojevich- Governor, Illinois
Tom Vilsack- Governor, Iowa
Kathleen Sebelius- Governor, Kansas
Kathleen Babineaux Blanco- Governor, Louisiana
Mike F. Easley- Governor, North Carolina
C. Brad Henry- Governor, Oklahoma
Ted Kulongoski- Governor, Oregon
Ed Rendell- Governor, Pennsylvania
Phil Bredesen- Governor, Tennessee
Mark R. Warner- Governor, Virginia
Gary Locke- Governor, Washington
Bob Wise- Governor, West Virginia
Jim Doyle- Governor, Wisconsin
Dave Freudenthal- Governor, Wyoming

Notice that there are no northeasterners here. Otherwise I didn't discern. Last thing Dems need is yet another easy "northeastern liberal" target.
Feel free to add or comment on what I have. Go to Project Vote Smart (http://www.vote-smart.org/) and look into them.

This is just a sample and Barack Obama will come into play after he has a few terms under his belt. Is the US ready for a black presidential candidate? I think so.

There. Now I feel much better. I have confidence that the democratic party of the great JFK will return to bear and burden and pay any price for the better of the great nation that is the United States of America.

whottt
11-05-2004, 11:08 AM
Okay, I've gotten our the election results and a little pissed off right now, at young voters who are officially told to fuck off until you actually prove you will vote, at Kerry for never going for the jugular because it wasn't "presidential" and at Rove for successfully building this re-election.

Kerry may not have gone for the jugular on W but the Democratic Party sure did. They got hold of the jugular, ripped it clean out of his neck, sucked all the blood out of it, flossed their teeth with it, and then proceeded to grind what was left of the vessel to atomic bits. I can't believe you think you should have been tougher...elements of your party accused him of deliberatly murdering 3000 Americans, compared him to Hitler, and a lot more. You guys in this election were as brutal on W as any party has been to any candidate in my lifetime. That's the problem, you guys were so brutal on W you made him the sympathetic candidate. No American President has ever been hung out to dry for the whole world by a political party, during a war, like the crats did to W in this election. Even if it wasn't Kerry...elements of the party that supported Kerry did this.

All you need to know about how bad it was is that freaking Osama Bin Laden was getting fresh ideas on how to drum up hatred against W from visible supportive elements of Democratic Party. That's the Reality. Watch his last tape.

Bill Richardson- Governor, New Mexico
Blanche Lambert Lincoln- Senator, Arkansas
Bill Nelson- Senator, Florida
B. Evan Bayh- Senator, Indiana
Tom Harkin- Senator, Iowa
Mary L. Landrieu- Senator, Louisiana
Max S. Baucus- Senator, Montana
Harry Reid- Senator, Nevada
Jeff Bingaman- Senator, New Mexico
Kent Conrad- Senator, North Dakota
Ron Wyden- Senator, Oregon
Maria Cantwell- Senator, Washington
John D. Rockefeller- Senator, West Virginia
Russell Feingold- Senator, Wisconsin
Janet Napolitano- Governor, Arizona
Rod R. Blagojevich- Governor, Illinois
Tom Vilsack- Governor, Iowa
Kathleen Sebelius- Governor, Kansas
Kathleen Babineaux Blanco- Governor, Louisiana
Mike F. Easley- Governor, North Carolina
C. Brad Henry- Governor, Oklahoma
Ted Kulongoski- Governor, Oregon
Ed Rendell- Governor, Pennsylvania
Phil Bredesen- Governor, Tennessee
Mark R. Warner- Governor, Virginia
Gary Locke- Governor, Washington
Bob Wise- Governor, West Virginia
Jim Doyle- Governor, Wisconsin
Dave Freudenthal- Governor, Wyoming

Notice that there are no northeasterners here. Otherwise I didn't discern. Last thing Dems need is yet another easy "northeastern liberal" target.
Feel free to add or comment on what I have. Go to Project Vote Smart (http://www.vote-smart.org/) and look into them.

Looks like slim pickens to me. Richardson is the only guy I am remotely familiar with and he seems like a fairly good guy. I think Hilary is your best shot.

This is just a sample and Barack Obama will come into play after he has a few terms under his belt. Is the US ready for a black presidential candidate? I think so.

The US has had Black Presidential Candidates with regularity for the past 20 years..Remember, Jesse Jackson won the Democratic primary in the state of Virginia in 1984. As for Obama...I see nothing to make me think he is qualified to run for President yet...the only reason I see him being mentioned as a serious candidate right now is that he is black. Not a good reason. Don't know enough about him. A good strong come back candidate should seem like one based on the human that he is .

There. Now I feel much better. I have confidence that the democratic party of the great JFK will return to bear and burden and pay any price for the better of the great nation that is the United States of America.

You guys better start disassociating from the radical elements you attracted in trying to get Bush out of office.

This means denouncing Michael Moore and the like...I swear you guys just don't get it...Keeping Moore around is just slightly less radical than the Republicans incorporating the Aryan Brotherhood as a legitimate element of their party.

Shelly
11-05-2004, 11:09 AM
You definitely do not want Barbara Boxer.

Marcus Bryant
11-05-2004, 11:11 AM
I think you are far too pessimistic about Sen. Clinton. Looking at the election results you had the most liberal member of the US Senate from the northeast and he ended up 18 electoral votes away from winning the presidency. The Democrats aren't exactly that weak.

This was an unique election. I'm not sure the conditions which proved favorable to the GOP will exist in 2008.

First off with Sen. Clinton you would have the first serious female candidate for the presidency. That would create untold favorable amounts of media coverage. In electoral terms that would make Missouri, Iowa, Ohio, Arkansas, Colorado, New Mexico, etc...(all "Red states") competitive as she would definitely have appeal to suburban married professional women.

Secondly, you have her husband and name ID. Depsite the strong dislike from the right, most people generally have good feelings about him. I think he would go a long way towards making her acceptable. Plus what's left unsaid is that she's stuck by him despite his infidelities, so that kind of mutes that issue. She's a scorned woman who opted to keep her family together. No doubt she's not the only one in this country.

Third, the lack of depth on the GOP side in 4 years. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think that Giuliani and McCain would be too old to run then. Plus both men would have a tough time garnering the GOP nomination. Schwarzeneger as of now is ineligible and even if he wasn't then he would face an uphill nomination fight. Giuliani's celebrity also will be a bit dimmer in 4 years I feel. The best GOP candidate save for his last name would be Gov. Bush of Florida. But hey, if a Clinton is running then why not a Bush? Anyways, I don't think the GOP could come up with a candidate who would have the 'star power' that Sen. Clinton would.

Finally, I don't expect national security to be as major of an issue in 2008. The focus will probably be on 'domestic issues' which of course will favor the Democrat candidate. Sen. Clinton's husband showed how a liberal Democrat could appeal to the South and Midwest and I wouldn't expect anything less from a third campaign with them at the top.

JoeChalupa
11-05-2004, 11:18 AM
I've never accepted Michael Moore as the official pie-hole of the democratic party.
But I do agree that that we must not endorse any of his movies and that we must also distance ourselves from moveon.org and other radical left organizations.

The problem is that "liberal" has been transformed into a bad word by a great campaign by conservatives such as Karl Rove and then Bush jumped on the bandwagon. I have no problem being a true liberal but not the radical left-wing nuts that have become associated with the word "liberal".
I'm more of a conservative liberal democrat who believes in a strong America and equal rights for everyone regardless of their color, religion, sexual orientation.

I know it will be tough but there are millions of us out there. I also realize that there are some who are not convinced of that.

But I am.

JoeChalupa
11-05-2004, 11:19 AM
Oh, and I'm supporting Mr. Obama because of his vision and passion NOT because he's black.

Marcus Bryant
11-05-2004, 11:21 AM
The problem is that "liberal" has been transformed into a bad word by a great campaign by conservatives such as Karl Rove and then Bush jumped on the bandwagon.

No, it couldn't possibly be due to liberal-left government policies which a large part of the nation apparently does not find appealing. It's just those evil conservatives again and their dirty tricks.

Marcus Bryant
11-05-2004, 11:22 AM
Oh, and I'm supporting Mr. Obama because of his vision and passion NOT because he's black.

If he wasn't black would anyone have ever heard of him? Let's be honest here. So far that seems to be one of his primary qualifications.

JoeChalupa
11-05-2004, 11:27 AM
If he wasn't black would anyone have ever heard of him? Let's be honest here. So far that seems to be one of his primary qualifications.

Let's see...

Barack Obama has spent a lifetime fighting effectively to empower working families and the poor - as community organizer, civil rights attorney and a leader in the Illinois Senate. He has brought new ideas and approaches in pursuit of traditional Democratic ideals to make a real difference for people -- from better schools to affordable health care to criminal justice reform.

Obama represents Illinois' 13th Senate District on Chicago's South Side. Recognized for his innovative, effective leadership, Obama is Chairman of the powerful Public Health and Welfare Committee. He also serves on the Judiciary and Revenue Committees. The Chicago Tribune has called him "one of the General Assembly's most impressive members." His legislative accomplishments include:

Education. Obama helped push through an expansion of early childhood education and accessible, high quality day care for working families. He co-sponsored legislation that expands innovation through charter schools, increases accountability for all school districts, improves the recruitment, training and retention of a highly skilled teaching corps, and limits tuition increases and maintains scholarships to make higher education more accessible.

Health Care. Obama passed laws extending health coverage to children and families without insurance, co-sponsored legislation establishing a prescription drug discount for seniors, passed a Hospital Report Card that makes hospitals more accountable to consumers, championed increased funding for AIDS prevention and other public health initiatives, and sponsored legislation to expand access to affordable health care.

Jobs and Opportunity. Obama passed legislation to provide targeted tax breaks for investment in depressed areas and to hold corporations accountable for tax breaks they receive from the state. Working with community colleges and area employers, he helped design and fund an innovative job-training program that has moved hundreds of unskilled, low-wage workers into high skill, high wage jobs. He was the driving force behind a state Earned Income Tax Credit, which has provided over $100 million in tax cuts to working families over three years

Criminal Justice. In the wake of a series of shocking exonerations of innocent persons on death row, Obama drafted and passed landmark legislation requiring the videotaping of interrogations and confessions in all capital cases, and was chief co-sponsor of comprehensive reform of the death penalty system in Illinois. He has been a leader in reforming the juvenile justice system to keep more young people in school and out of prison, and has fought to increase penalties for domestic violence.

Civil Rights and Liberties. As a senior lecturer in constitutional law, Obama has been a leading voice in the Senate in protecting a woman's right to reproductive freedom. He passed model legislation designed to curb the practice of racial profiling by law enforcement.

Ethics Reform. Working with former U.S. Senator Paul Simon, Obama was a chief architect and sponsor of the first state campaign finance reform legislation in 25 years, and has helped toughen rules governing government contracting and procurement.

Obama graduated from Columbia University with a degree in political science and a specialty in international relations. He worked as a community organizer in some of Chicago's toughest neighborhoods, helping church groups create job-training programs, reform area schools, and improve city services.

He went on to Harvard Law School, where he graduated magna cum laude and served as the first African-American president of the Harvard Law Review. After law school, Obama organized one of the largest voter registration drives in Chicago history to help Bill Clinton's election, and worked as a civil rights lawyer on cutting edge voting rights and employment discrimination cases in federal and state courts.

Currently a senior lecturer specializing in constitutional law at the University of Chicago Law School, Obama has served on the boards of some of Chicago's leading foundations and chaired the Chicago Annenberg Challenge, a $50 million philanthropic effort to reform the public schools.

I'd say he is on his way to a great political career.

Marcus Bryant
11-05-2004, 11:39 AM
There are white individuals who fit that description.

Could it be that he's black and he 'speaks so well'?

2pac
11-05-2004, 11:42 AM

Don't forget his qualification of not being Alan Keys.

I could have run and won in Illinois by basing my canidacy on not being Alan Keys.

2pac
11-05-2004, 11:43 AM
Let's see...

Barack Obama has spent a lifetime fighting effectively to empower working families and the poor - as community organizer, civil rights attorney and a leader in the Illinois Senate. He has brought new ideas and approaches in pursuit of traditional Democratic ideals to make a real difference for people -- from better schools to affordable health care to criminal justice reform.

Obama represents Illinois' 13th Senate District on Chicago's South Side. Recognized for his innovative, effective leadership, Obama is Chairman of the powerful Public Health and Welfare Committee. He also serves on the Judiciary and Revenue Committees. The Chicago Tribune has called him "one of the General Assembly's most impressive members." His legislative accomplishments include:

Education. Obama helped push through an expansion of early childhood education and accessible, high quality day care for working families. He co-sponsored legislation that expands innovation through charter schools, increases accountability for all school districts, improves the recruitment, training and retention of a highly skilled teaching corps, and limits tuition increases and maintains scholarships to make higher education more accessible.

Health Care. Obama passed laws extending health coverage to children and families without insurance, co-sponsored legislation establishing a prescription drug discount for seniors, passed a Hospital Report Card that makes hospitals more accountable to consumers, championed increased funding for AIDS prevention and other public health initiatives, and sponsored legislation to expand access to affordable health care.

Jobs and Opportunity. Obama passed legislation to provide targeted tax breaks for investment in depressed areas and to hold corporations accountable for tax breaks they receive from the state. Working with community colleges and area employers, he helped design and fund an innovative job-training program that has moved hundreds of unskilled, low-wage workers into high skill, high wage jobs. He was the driving force behind a state Earned Income Tax Credit, which has provided over $100 million in tax cuts to working families over three years

Criminal Justice. In the wake of a series of shocking exonerations of innocent persons on death row, Obama drafted and passed landmark legislation requiring the videotaping of interrogations and confessions in all capital cases, and was chief co-sponsor of comprehensive reform of the death penalty system in Illinois. He has been a leader in reforming the juvenile justice system to keep more young people in school and out of prison, and has fought to increase penalties for domestic violence.

Civil Rights and Liberties. As a senior lecturer in constitutional law, Obama has been a leading voice in the Senate in protecting a woman's right to reproductive freedom. He passed model legislation designed to curb the practice of racial profiling by law enforcement.

Ethics Reform. Working with former U.S. Senator Paul Simon, Obama was a chief architect and sponsor of the first state campaign finance reform legislation in 25 years, and has helped toughen rules governing government contracting and procurement.

Obama graduated from Columbia University with a degree in political science and a specialty in international relations. He worked as a community organizer in some of Chicago's toughest neighborhoods, helping church groups create job-training programs, reform area schools, and improve city services.

He went on to Harvard Law School, where he graduated magna cum laude and served as the first African-American president of the Harvard Law Review. After law school, Obama organized one of the largest voter registration drives in Chicago history to help Bill Clinton's election, and worked as a civil rights lawyer on cutting edge voting rights and employment discrimination cases in federal and state courts.

Currently a senior lecturer specializing in constitutional law at the University of Chicago Law School, Obama has served on the boards of some of Chicago's leading foundations and chaired the Chicago Annenberg Challenge, a $50 million philanthropic effort to reform the public schools.

I'd say he is on his way to a great political career.

YOu should have just said - I really don't know shit about Obama, so I am copy and pasting his off his website.

CommanderMcBragg
11-05-2004, 11:54 AM
Honestly it's very hard to say who will emerge on the scene 4 years from now for either party. We can only go by what we know now. For the Democrats, Hillary is the best known, but like others have said I really can't see her winning. What you'd be asking yourself right now is, who can beat some combination of John McCain, Rudolph Guiliani (sp?) and Colin Powell? As for a black candidate, yes, Obama is too inexperienced. Americans are ready for a black presidential or VP candidate if his name is Colin Powell though. I'm just not sure he'll be convinced to run.

McCain may not run because of his age, but you've got to wonder why the heck he stumped for Bush unless it's to build credibility with his party for a run in 2008. He has plenty of reason to dislike Bush.

JoeChalupa
11-05-2004, 11:57 AM
YOu should have just said - I really don't know shit about Obama, so I am copy and pasting his off his website.

It's not that at all oh wise one. I just don't have the time to type it all up.
Barack Obama has a bright future and he has my support.

But I admit I don't know his resume off the top of my head.

dcole50
11-05-2004, 12:00 PM
I've never accepted Michael Moore as the official pie-hole of the democratic party.
But I do agree that that we must not endorse any of his movies and that we must also distance ourselves from moveon.org and other radical left organizations.Agreed. All he did was drive out the vote from the right by angering them. His movie appealed to the uninformed youth vote, which as we all should know, does not vote. The Democrats need to do all that is possible to distance themself from Moore, moveon.org, and other extreme, hate spewing groups.

Dick Gephardt is the man I supported in the primaries, but I don't think he is a strong enough candidate or charismatic enough to win an election this big.

Barack Obama is very charismatic. He's a great speaker. Is he ready to be on a presidential ticket? Hell no. Give him time.

It's too early to tell who would be the strongest candidate in '08, I think. Atleast, I don't know enough at this time to make a decision or a prediction.

I won't even be voting for a Democratic candidate if McCain runs, since he and Clinton are the only two politicians in the recent era who I have truly believed in and felt they could lead this country in the right (read: correct ;))direction. Sadly, I think age could be a concern with McCain that may prevent him from running.

JoeChalupa
11-05-2004, 12:03 PM
I'd vote for McCain.

Spurminator
11-05-2004, 12:13 PM
Obama is a very impressive politician who will very likely be President some day. But there's no reason to rush him into candidacy and open yourself up to speculation that you are doing so only because he is black. Give him enough time on the Senate to build a reputation and even more respct.

spurster
11-05-2004, 12:36 PM
Hiliary has 4 more years to soften her negatives, and her record is not so liberal. She does represent a state that is way too blue. Ideally, the Dems need a good candidate who comes from and is popular in Ohio or Florida. You mentioned "Bill Nelson- Senator, Florida". I don't know much about him.

As for Michael Moore, I see him as equivalent to Rush Limbaugh.

Brodels
11-05-2004, 12:53 PM
Obama is a very impressive politician who will very likely be President some day. But there's no reason to rush him into candidacy and open yourself up to speculation that you are doing so only because he is black. Give him enough time on the Senate to build a reputation and even more respct.

Very likely? That's a huge stretch. He hasn't even started his time in the Senate yet. We don't know what he'll do.

He has a lot of things working against him, and he's simply unproven on a national level. He might become president, but it's far from 'very likely.'

Brodels
11-05-2004, 12:56 PM

:rollin

dcole50
They're about equivalent in weight as well. ;)

I don't pay any mind to either, so I don't know. People tell me Moore is slightly worse -- that may be the case. I stopped listening to anything Rush had to say many, many years ago.

I agree that rushing Obama onto a ticket (even as a VP) is the wrong decision. Don't put that much pressure on him yet. Let him prove himself and gain "political capital" (using a Bushism) and then, many years down the road, he'll hopefully be a strong enough candidate to run and win.

Hook Dem
It's too early to tell at this point but within the next year we should see those emerging that wish to throw their hat into the ring. Joe...I understand your disappointment but let the dust settle and then see who you would want. You won't have Bush to worry about. At that time you should be able to make an informed decision. In other words, let the cream rise to the top.

gophergeorge
11-05-2004, 02:19 PM
If Obama was a Republican, they'd be calling him an Uncle Tom....

Regards,

JC Watts

Marcus Bryant
11-05-2004, 02:25 PM
She does represent a state that is way too blue. Ideally, the Dems need a good candidate who comes from and is popular in Ohio or Florida.

And Texas is way too red....

Spurminator
11-05-2008, 02:15 PM
Bump

Spurminator
11-05-2008, 02:17 PM
Obama is a very impressive politician who will very likely be President some day.

:back-patter:

But there's no reason to rush him into candidacy and open yourself up to speculation that you are doing so only because he is black. Give him enough time on the Senate to build a reputation and even more respct.

Oops. :(

Spurminator
11-05-2008, 02:23 PM
Instead of bumping a bunch of old threads, I'll just quote selected posts from those other threads in this one.

I think its time to get the Political Career Accelerator Machine (Patent Pending) fired up for Mr. Barack Obama. It's time for some real change in this country.

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5453

Whoa.