PDA

View Full Version : Possible Balance Shift In The Senate?

12-13-2006, 04:49 PM
SD Senator Has Stroke (http://www.rawstory.com/news/2006/Senator_Tim_Johnson_reportedly_suffers_stroke_1213 .html)

George Gervin's Afro
12-13-2006, 04:52 PM
You would hope that any Governor would appoint a person of the same party affiliation for which the deceased belonged to. SD seems to be a 50/50 state as well and with the balance of power in the balance... who knows.

Yonivore
12-13-2006, 04:57 PM
You would hope that any Governor would appoint a person of the same party affiliation for which the deceased belonged to.
I can't even imagine these words coming out of your keyboard if this had been a Republican Senator in a state with a Democratic Governor.

Considering how the Democrats have conducted themselves over the past 6 years, I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you.

SD seems to be a 50/50 state as well and with the balance of power in the balance... who knows.
I wish the Senator well and hope for a full recovery from his stroke. However, given the chance, I would hope the Governor would appoint a Republican.

Yonivore
12-13-2006, 05:13 PM
Oh yeah, Nbadan conspiracy post in 5, 4, 3, 2, ...

Tek_XX
12-13-2006, 05:50 PM
From all indications it appears to be a minor stroke. Don't think they would use under "observation" if he was bed ridden.

jochhejaam
12-14-2006, 07:41 AM
From all indications it appears to be a minor stroke. Don't think they would use under "observation" if he was bed ridden.
Unfortunately it's more than a minor stroke.

Source: Senator in critical condition after surgery
POSTED: 7:28 a.m. EST, December 14, 2006

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Sen. Tim Johnson of South Dakota was in critical condition Thursday after undergoing surgery, a hospital source told The Associated Press.

Johnson had brain surgery early Thursday at George Washington University Hospital after suffering stroke-like symptoms, two Democratic sources familiar with his condition told CNN.

There was no formal announcement of the South Dakota senator's condition, The Associated Press reported, but a person in the hospital's media relations office, who declined to be identified, said the hospital was preparing to announce that Johnson's condition was critical.

Johnson, 59, was taken to the hospital Wednesday after he appeared to suffer the stroke-like symptoms, although a spokeswoman for the senator said subsequent evaluation showed he did not suffer a stroke or a heart attack.

There was no word early Thursday on the nature of Johnson's surgery.

Staffers told CNN that Johnson was conscious when he was transported to the hospital.

Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nevada, spent time at the hospital out of concern for Johnson, Reid's spokesman said.

Johnson spokeswoman Julianne Fisher said the senator was in the Capitol on Wednesday morning conducting a conference call with South Dakota reporters when "his speech pattern slipped off." (Listen to Johnson's difficulty speaking during a WNAX radio interview -- MP3, 749 kb)

Fisher said the senator was able to walk back to his office in the Hart Senate Office Building, then began having problems with his right arm. He thought he was all right, she said, and went to his desk, but came out a few minutes later and "it was apparent he needed help."

Staffers put him on a couch in the office and called the Capitol doctor, she said. He was taken to the hospital shortly afterward. His wife, in the office to have lunch with him, rode with him, Fisher said.

"It transpired very fast," she said, adding the senator's staff was shaken by the incident.

But, she said of the hospital, "we keep reminding ourselves, this is where they take Dick Cheney."

Should Johnson not be able to complete his term, which ends in 2008, South Dakota Gov. Mike Rounds, a Republican, could appoint his replacement, which could shift the balance of power in the Senate.

South Dakota Secretary of State Chris Nelson said the appointment would fill the vacancy until a general election could be held in November 2008. There are no restrictions on who the governor can appoint, beyond meeting the legal requirements for Senate membership, he said.

Although the issue of incapacitation is not spelled out in state law, Nelson said he believes there would be "precedent at the federal level."

South Dakota has not faced the replacement of an elected office holder "in recent history."

Rounds issued a statement saying his prayers were with Johnson and his family. "We are hopeful of good news for our friend and colleague," the governor said.

Johnson battled prostate cancer in 2004, and after surgery, tests showed he no longer had the disease, according to his Web site.

CNN's Dana Bash and Ted Barrett contributed to this report.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/12/14/johnson.ill/index.html?eref=rss_topstories

Hopefully the Senator will have a full recovery.

George Gervin's Afro
12-14-2006, 07:57 AM
I can't even imagine these words coming out of your keyboard if this had been a Republican Senator in a state with a Democratic Governor.

Considering how the Democrats have conducted themselves over the past 6 years, I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you.

I wish the Senator well and hope for a full recovery from his stroke. However, given the chance, I would hope the Governor would appoint a Republican.

Yoni unlike you I am not a party whore. If the situation were reversed I'd feel the same way. He, the Governor, would be doing a disservice to the people who voted for Democratic repesentative and appoint a Republican (or vice versa).

Throw in the fact that the balance in the United States Senate would change is even motr of a reason to appoint a Democrat. Please save me from comparing Jumpin' Jim's situation to this one. He conscioulsy made the decision to switch and he suffered greatly from it. He was actually around to have to deal with his decision and the consequences.

No GOVERNOR should have control over who controls Congress.

exstatic
12-14-2006, 09:56 PM
They always rate brain surgery patients as critical for the first 24 after surgery. He's already talked to his wife, post-op.