PDA

View Full Version : Beno to defend length of the court

Solid D
12-13-2006, 05:45 PM
I didn't see this posted yesterday so here is the link to the Ticket760 podcast:

http://ticket760.com/cc-common/podcast.html

Expect Beno pick up his man in the back court (full court). Strategy by Pop to get Beno to really engage defensively and hopefully employ more physicality along the way.

phyzik
12-13-2006, 06:01 PM
this is going to be interesting....

Cant_Be_Faded
12-13-2006, 06:17 PM
rofl

he'll get injured by the third or fourth play
broken
ankles

Solid D
12-13-2006, 06:18 PM
He's already been doing it some. Pop just decided to have Beno do it all season.

Bruno
12-13-2006, 06:21 PM
I'm curious to see what will be the result.
So far, Beno hasn't had a great season but I have the feeling that he is very close to turn the corner. I don't know what will be the spark to do it, maybe the full court D or maybe the new ball in January.

Cant_Be_Faded
12-13-2006, 06:23 PM
How is expending a lot more energy per play going to help Beno play better overall?

nkdlunch
12-13-2006, 06:26 PM
mmm come on Beno!!!!!

wake up!

Mr. Body
12-13-2006, 06:26 PM
Not sure how this helps Beno unless it's to get him in shape.

Beno seems to be best when he has another dynamic player to get involved with on the offense, and was at his best when Devin Brown was here. Maybe it was him thinking less, I don't know, but having somebody streak and slash and spot up in various places, instead of the usual pick-n-rolls and spots on the wing tends to activate him more.

ducks
12-13-2006, 06:41 PM
get his ass in shape this will help

picnroll
12-13-2006, 07:32 PM
Get him focused but the little I've seen him do it guys get by him pretty quickly and he's hustling just to catch up to them.

Beno, for a supposed good shooter, hasn't shot for jack.

The Truth #6
12-13-2006, 07:38 PM
I also heard Pop say that Beno will run suicides during time outs and sell popcorn at halftime.

Bob Lanier
12-13-2006, 07:49 PM
At least PFs show up in the box score.

VaSpursFan
12-13-2006, 09:42 PM
won't help. he's just not a good fit for the spurs IMO.

pjjrfan
12-13-2006, 10:35 PM
I guess it didn't work. didn't really see him pick it up full court, but then I didn't see him at all in the 2nd half of this Minne game.

SequSpur
12-13-2006, 10:44 PM
Beno is a waste of a paycheck envelope.

2centsworth
12-13-2006, 10:56 PM
the sooner the spurs cut Beno the faster the spurs will get to solving a need.

Solid D
12-13-2006, 11:02 PM
Most of the time, Beno picked up his man at 3/4 court with fairly loose pressure.

SequSpur
12-13-2006, 11:07 PM
the sooner the spurs cut Beno the faster the spurs will get to solving a need.

exactly, when is Pop going to figure this out or is he just to much of a puss to look a slovenian in the eye and say gtfo.

I think Pop is to "friendly"

Solid D
12-13-2006, 11:09 PM
exactly, when is Pop going to figure this out or is he just too much of a puss to look a slovenian in the eye and say gtfo.

I think Pop is too "friendly"

Corrected. That's okay. It's a common third grade spelling mistake.

timvp
12-14-2006, 12:07 AM
If this helps him shed 10-15 pounds, I'm all for it.

SequSpur
12-14-2006, 12:17 AM
Corrected. That's okay. It's a common third grade spelling mistake.

blow me.

phyzik
12-14-2006, 02:06 AM

Its a rarity when I agree with the short one.

Bruno
12-14-2006, 02:37 AM
You can say that Beno sucks and Spurs should trade him as much as you want but the reality is that getting a good backup PG isn't that easy.

Nobody wnat Vaughn as backup PG. If Spurs trade beno, they need a backup PG back who :
- is better than Vaughn.
- isn't on a big contract. Spurs won't have a backup PG with a multiyear MLE contract. DOn't forget too that Spurs want to have capspace in 08-09.
- is available for a package with a late first or the rights to Scola.

Players who fits that description :
Jose Calderon
Chris Duhon
Steve Blake
Tyronn Lue
Brevin Knight
Keyon Dooling
Earl Boykins

Quite weak offer.

Dooling, Blake or Boykins isn't really a clear upgrade over Beno/Vaughn andI'm not ready to give up a first round pick or Scola for Duhon, Calderon or Lue.

All in all, Spurs haven't a lot of options available to get a good backup PG and maybe the best solution is to work with Beno who has the level to be a good backup PG.

THE SIXTH MAN
12-14-2006, 02:46 AM
You can say that Beno sucks and Spurs should trade him as much as you want but the reality is that getting a good backup PG isn't that easy.

Nobody wnat Vaughn as backup PG. If Spurs trade beno, they need a backup PG back who :
- is better than Vaughn.
- isn't on a big contract. Spurs won't have a backup PG with a multiyear MLE contract. DOn't forget too that Spurs want to have capspace in 08-09.

Jose Calderon
Chris Duhon
Steve Blake
Tyronn Lue
Brevin Knight
Keyon Dooling
Earl Boykins

Quite weak offer.

Dooling, Blake or Boykins isn't really a clear upgrade over Beno/Vaughn andI'm not ready to give up a first round pick or Scola for Duhon, Calderon or Lue.

All in all, Spurs haven't a lot of options available to get a good backup PG and maybe the best solution is to work with Beno who has the level to be a good backup PG.
What about Brevin Knight? It would be nice if the spurs can swing a deal to get him and Gerald Wallace. :drunk

Bruno
12-14-2006, 03:02 AM
What about Brevin Knight?

Depend on what the prize is.

If Charlotte want Spurs' first round pick, I rather stick to Beno and draft a solid backup PG with the pick. I don't know NCAA well but Acie Law seems to be a good candidate. The advantage of drafting a PG instead of trading the pick for Knight, Calderon, Duhon or Lue is that you have the player for 4 years on a cheap contract.

If Udrih + Williams + some cash and/or second round pick is enough, it can be a very good solution.

AFBlue
12-14-2006, 08:06 AM
Depend on what the prize is.

If Charlotte want Spurs' first round pick, I rather stick to Beno and draft a solid backup PG with the pick. I don't know NCAA well but Acie Law seems to be a good candidate. The advantage of drafting a PG instead of trading the pick for Knight, Calderon, Duhon or Lue is that you have the player for 4 years on a cheap contract.

If Udrih + Williams + some cash and/or second round pick is enough, it can be a very good solution.

Agree with you in general that most deals involving a 2007 draft pick (especially the first rounder) should be looked at very carefully. Providing a short-term solution by trading away picks, Scola, and/or Beno could come back to haunt the Spurs.

Love your last trade proposal, don't know if Charlotte would...

One thing is for sure though, Beno has got to move with a sense of urgency. This kid isn't making the most of his opportunities and keeps alienating himself from Pop's good graces with his mistakes. I agree that more patience is needed, b/c the Spurs just don't have any better options, but Beno needs to step up.

TDMVPDPOY
12-14-2006, 09:53 AM
i think beno is goin to get dpoy if he keeps up with the full court press :D

2centsworth
12-14-2006, 10:51 AM

- is better than Vaughn.

Jose Calderon
Chris Duhon
Steve Blake
Tyronn Lue
Brevin Knight
Keyon Dooling
Earl Boykins

Quite weak offer.

Beno is almost untradeable because he has no value IMO. Boykins, dooling, knight, Duhon & Lue are easily better than Beno at this point.

angel_luv
12-14-2006, 11:02 AM

No worries, Spurs get direct deposit. :)

Solid D
12-14-2006, 11:14 AM
The interesting thing to me in watching the game was that all of the PGs for the Spurs were picking up their defensive assignments in the backcourt...not just Beno. Tony did it. Jacque did it. Beno didn't really pressure the ball like Tony and Jacque did.

I never noticed Beno defending end-line to end-line when he was in there. TP, however, benefited from pressuring immediately after a score. Marc Blount accidentally let his inbound pass release before he meant to (it just slipped out and bounced a couple of times before bouncing inbounds :lol ). Since TP was there to pressure Foye, TP was quickest to reach down, pick up the ball and score his easiest bucket of the night.

Jacque looked especially strong in doubling the ball. He was effective enough in his role in traps to force the use of the entire shot clock.

I don't know how seriously Beno took his assignment.

Gerryatrics
12-14-2006, 11:21 AM
If Beno does disappear we could always go back to what some of us have been saying since the Spurs signed Brent Barry... Let Brent back up both guard positions. He was the starting PG in Seattle for a couple of seasons. He's not blazing fast but he can handle the ball just fine, he's a great passer and the Spurs offense is almost always a lot smoother when he's on the floor. Sub him in for Ginobili, slide him to the point when Parker goes out, you have Finley to back up the 2 and 3 as needed. Am I alone on this?

angel_luv
12-14-2006, 11:25 AM
The interesting thing to me in watching the game was that all of the PGs for the Spurs were picking up their defensive assignments in the backcourt...not just Beno. Tony did it. Jacque did it. Beno didn't really pressure the ball like Tony and Jacque did.

Is that why Beno got in trouble with Pop?

I was wondering about his second half absense.

phyzik
12-14-2006, 11:28 AM

I never noticed Beno defending end-line to end-line when he was in there. TP, however, benefited from pressuring immediately after a score. Marc Blount accidentally let his inbound pass release before he meant to (it just slipped out and bounced a couple of times before bouncing inbounds :lol ). Since TP was there to pressure Foye, TP was quickest to reach down, pick up the ball and score his easiest bucket of the night.

Jacque looked especially strong in doubling the ball. He was effective enough in his role in traps to force the use of the entire shot clock.

What made that play so freaking funny was the Ref standing right there, Tony makes the basket and the ref is just left there shrugging his sholders... he didnt know what the fuck to make of it :lol

MrChug
12-14-2006, 11:32 AM
won't help. he's just not a good fit for the spurs IMO.

Ummm...he's a great fit and always has been. Watch the Spurs much?

:idiot

2centsworth
12-14-2006, 11:32 AM

every minute this guy is on the team Pop loses more credibility. It's time for the Spurs to cut their losses.

AFBlue
12-14-2006, 11:34 AM
You lost me at Beno to defend.....

2centsworth
12-14-2006, 11:45 AM
Ummm...he's a great fit and always has been. Watch the Spurs much?

:idiot
the only one who doesn't watch the spurs much is apparently you. If Beno was so good why is he consistently in Pop's dog house? Also, how does a 50 year old, overweight, one-legged Nick fat Xel beat you out?

Now no shooting Jaque Vaughn is getting closer to taking Beno's spot.

Beno sucks and unless you're a relative or something I don't get the love.

btw, name calling gets you nowhere.

OM I just realized you might not be 18 yrs old yet, so if that's the case ignore everything I just said.

AFBlue
12-14-2006, 11:52 AM
Is that why Beno got in trouble with Pop?

I was wondering about his second half absense.

I saw one play in particular where Beno left the switch-man to double w/ Horry at the top of the key, but he was even slow getting to the ball handler and left Timmy hanging in the post split between two guys. It ended in and easy layup.

I'm no basketball guru, but I could've recognized the switch or run faster to pressure the ball-carrier if it was meant to be a double-team.

Not sure if that's what did it, but if I know Pop's short temper w/ Beno, I'd say that's it.

Bruno
12-14-2006, 11:54 AM
This kid isn't making the most of his opportunities and keeps alienating himself from Pop's good graces with his mistakes.

I don't see Beno's situation like that.
To me he is just learning to play the way Pop wants that he plays.
To be benched after one minute on the court is frequent for Spurs' rookies (see Elson), Pop has never been a soft teacher.
And I know that Beno isn't a rookie but Pop's learning isn't finished with Beno.

2centsworth
12-14-2006, 11:58 AM
To be benched after one minute on the court is frequent for Spurs' rookies (see Elson), Pop has never been a soft teacher.
And I know that Beno isn't a rookie but Pop's learning isn't finished with Beno.
Bruno, this is Beno's 3rd year. He's not tough enough to compete at the NBA level.

AFBlue
12-14-2006, 12:03 PM

I know he was this tough on Tony, but he also debated signing J-Kidd and trading Tony away. I think if Tony hadn't rounded out and if he'd had a so-so season last year, there would be speculation/trade rumors. But he's become incredible and damn-near irreplaceable.

I HOPE the same happens for Beno, but it's tough to see that right now.

Bruno
12-14-2006, 12:17 PM
Bruno, this is Beno's 3rd year. He's not tough enough to compete at the NBA level.

That's your POV. I understand it, there are strong facts that tends to prove that you're right but I disagree with it.

Beno isn't a though player but he is really talented.
I think that his talent is enough to offset a part of his lack of thoughness and make him a good backup PG. Beno will likely not reach his full potential in the next couple of years or even ever (Beno is talented enough to be a starting PG) but I think that he will be good enough to give Spurs 12-14 good mpg.

Spurs just need a backup PG. It' not important that he is a talented pussy or a warrior with few BB skill as long as he has the right level.

Kibic
12-14-2006, 01:07 PM
What level? Bla, bla, bla experts.....Melo, James, Bosh, Kirk, Wade...are they the level you talk about? They have a fine summer at WC. The level.

Solid D
12-14-2006, 01:10 PM
What level? Bla, bla, bla experts.....Melo, James, Bosh, Kirk, Wade...are they the level you talk about? They have a fine summer at WC. The level.

Ouch. Good one, Kibic.

2centsworth
12-14-2006, 02:24 PM
Ouch. Good one, Kibic.
wow, you're usually a good poster. Rings for scrubs doesn't mean much.

2centsworth
12-14-2006, 02:25 PM
That's your POV. I understand it, there are strong facts that tends to prove that you're right but I disagree with it.

Beno isn't a though player but he is really talented.
I think that his talent is enough to offset a part of his lack of thoughness and make him a good backup PG. Beno will likely not reach his full potential in the next couple of years or even ever (Beno is talented enough to be a starting PG) but I think that he will be good enough to give Spurs 12-14 good mpg.

Spurs just need a backup PG. It' not important that he is a talented pussy or a warrior with few BB skill as long as he has the right level.
understood. we'll agree to disagree.

Slo spurs fan
12-14-2006, 04:55 PM
wow, you're usually a good poster. Rings for scrubs doesn't mean much.
And WTF do you bring to this board? One linears and hate.

timvp
12-15-2006, 01:07 AM
The funny thing about this thread is Beno was playing a lot worse eariler this year. At least he's trying on defense now and he's not as much of a chucker. Still playing poorly overall but at least his game is getting better.

ChumpDumper
12-15-2006, 01:09 AM
Beno to fall on face attempting to split two defenders immobilized by pick

timvp
12-15-2006, 01:14 AM
Beno to fall on face attempting to split two defenders immobilized by pick

:rollin

Yeah, someone send a memo to Beno that he can't split the pick-and-rolls anymore. Maybe a few cheeseburgers ago. How many times does he have to try it, fall down, turn the ball over and give the other team a layup before he figures this out?

P.S.

I'd like one good reason why Beno is ever on the court to end a quarter. Has he ever produced offensively or defensively with under 20 seconds to go in a quarter?