PDA

View Full Version : Where were you when...?

GrandeDavid
12-13-2006, 06:57 PM
David Robinson led the Spurs to a gut-wrenching Game 7 in the 1990 Western Conference Semifinals loss against Portland, a game in which San Antonio led by 7 points with a little over 2:30 to play, where Rod Strickland threw a no-look pass to the baseline cameramen?

I was a senior in high school and watched it from a sports bar back in the good ole days when a fake ID was as easy to come by as getting any old Joe off the street to buy a high school kid a six pack of beer.

I remember not being overly disappointed by the loss, thinking that from 1991 on, the Spurs were a dynasty in making and David Robinson was to become one of the top five players in NBA history.

SAtown
12-13-2006, 07:00 PM
This is the season I became a Spurs fan. I was 5 years old, and was too young to stay up, so my mom taped it and I watched it before school eating cereal.

KB24
12-13-2006, 07:04 PM
Who Cares!!!!!!!!!!!

GrandeDavid
12-13-2006, 07:04 PM
^Awesome! You are a true diehard fan.

dg7md
12-13-2006, 07:31 PM
I was far too young, I was just about three years old then, didn't become a real fan until about 2000 or so, when me and my dad bonded really well because of the games. He's from San Antonio but I'm from Dallas, so I wasn't a diehard Spurs fan until after that but I wish I were a fan from my birthdate onward!

The Truth #6
12-13-2006, 07:45 PM
High School as well. There was a feeling that the Spurs would be a dynasty and that the 90 team would stay together. It was one of the deepest Spurs teams of all time. Full of great young talent - funny to think of the Spurs as a young team but that's what they were. If Larry Brown was a little more giving and didn't ride everyone's patience into dust he just might have gotten his ring a lot earlier. The sad part was that after 95 and before 99, that 90 team began to look like maybe the most promising team they had yet and it all slipped away. TD's arrival was great in ridding all the ghosts of the 90s.

IceColdBrewski
12-13-2006, 07:47 PM
I was a junior in High School in Las Vegas. I remember getting so pissed off that I had to drive down to the local 7-11 to buy some smokes. Until then, smoking was just something I did whenever I was around friends who smoked. From that day forward, it became an official stress reliever.

GrandeDavid
12-13-2006, 07:49 PM
Doghouse, that's a cool reason! Thanks for sharing it!

GrandeDavid
12-13-2006, 07:51 PM
Who Cares!!!!!!!!!!!

I hear ya, but Spurs fans from back in the day care, that's who. As fans we don't get paid to be fans, but enjoy the entertainment. Part of the package, I would assume, would be sharing some memories.

spurs=bling
12-13-2006, 07:52 PM
I was still in the womb.

Fillmoe
12-13-2006, 07:54 PM
I was 5 years old basketball was the least bit interesting to me

GrandeDavid
12-13-2006, 08:08 PM
I was still in the womb.

Awesome! And you saved yourself plenty of frustration. ha ha

UtownSpur
12-13-2006, 09:21 PM
I also was a senior in High School. I remember it was a weekend afternoon game. I was at a friends house where a bunch of us gathered. We all thought the Spurs had the game won in regulation. Then we all know what happened. I was in shock after the game. It took a long time to get over that loss for me. I remember thinking that the Spurs would have destroyed the Suns in the WCF had we won that game 7.

MosesGuthrie
12-13-2006, 09:51 PM
Out of high school but at a friends house watching the game....we were all convinced that the next year the title was ours!

Oops. :) had to wait a few years.

twincam
12-13-2006, 11:16 PM
I was at home watching the game with my two brothers. I was so excited about "thinking" they'd win it...I climbed the tree in my back yard and just yelled out that the Spurs were advancing to the next round. Then, lightning struck! The "shock" of knowing that the lead slipped away. Then, lightning struck twice...Rod Strickland pulled the most idioted play of his career. That's when Clyde Drexler took over.....

Oh God! The agony.

dav4463
12-13-2006, 11:26 PM
I was in college watching in a sports bar.

Condemned 2 HelLA
12-13-2006, 11:48 PM
That was the year that I seriously started following the Spurs.
I was at home watching the game, and when I saw Strick toss that ball to no one (he probably thought Sean was there for whatever reason), my jaw just dropped and I proceeded to run off a list of expletives that went on for quite some time.
16+ years and 3 championships later, I can laugh about that now.

valluco
12-14-2006, 12:28 AM
I'll never forget that game. I was watching it with my cousins at our grandparent's house. 14 yrs. old and I got to watch a frustrating loss like that for my team for the first time. Looking back, that experience may have helped me deal with more disapointing sports moments later on for my favorite teams like watching the Frank Reich comeback vs. the Oilers, Hakeem vs. the Admiral, McNair's pass to Dyson one yard short, and oh yes... .04. :dizzy

LakerHater
12-14-2006, 12:33 AM
This is the season I became a Spurs fan. I was 5 years old, and was too young to stay up, so my mom taped it and I watched it before school eating cereal. :clap

dirk4mvp
12-14-2006, 12:39 AM
awaiting my arrival

SANANTOJAMES
12-14-2006, 12:48 AM
I was 8 years old and a big spurs fan, The loss didnt affect me like a big loss would today

Rynospursfan
12-14-2006, 01:21 AM
I was at the game, I also was at game 5 way up in the nosebleeds of the Memorial Collusium. That was the year I became a Spurs fan too. It was a heartbreaking loss but I never stopped giving Blazer fans crap, or stoped loving the Spurs.

RonMexico
12-14-2006, 01:24 AM
I was 7 years old and at home in Phoenix pissed off that the Blazers beat the Suns in the series before and then more pissed that they were going to the Finals

(Sports Illustrated for Kids had done a nice article on David Robinson, so I was cheering for him and I'd just gotten his rookie card in a pack of Upper Deck cards.)

Das Texan
12-14-2006, 01:26 AM
i was a snot faced kid watching at home.

ibroughtsexyback
12-14-2006, 03:31 AM
Junior high in Frankfurt, Germany. Great game.

Kori Ellis
12-14-2006, 03:33 AM
I was a Jazz fan. :nerd

SAtown
12-14-2006, 03:37 AM
I was a Jazz fan. :nerd

:frying:

KB24
12-14-2006, 10:26 AM
I hear ya, but Spurs fans from back in the day care, that's who. As fans we don't get paid to be fans, but enjoy the entertainment. Part of the package, I would assume, would be sharing some memories.

True That.

mardigan
12-14-2006, 10:30 AM
Was 8, playing with mt G.I. Joes and Transformers. And I was way more into the Stros then because of my dad.

FromWayDowntown
12-14-2006, 10:48 AM
I was a senior in high school. Game 7 was on the same day as the local all-star football game for high school seniors. I was in a lockerroom at Trinity University with the rest of my West San Antonio teammates getting ready for the game, when someone mentioned that there was a TV showing the game in the coaches' office. Players from the East and West teams crowded into that office to catch a glimpse of that tiny TV and root for the Spurs. As the game progressed you'd see guys from the East team giving high fives to players from the West team and things like that. Then we went out and beat each other up for 3 hours.

My disappointment about the Spurs loss was mitigated late in the 4th Quarter of the football game when Nick Ramirez of McCollum H.S., having been given great time to throw by the offensive line, threw a long touchdown pass to Dyron Brodbeck of Taft H.S. to win the game for my team. I have now officially lived in the past.

I had attended Games 3 and 6 of that Portland series and remember thinking, like so many others, that the setback in Portland in Game 7 was minor, that the Spurs very young starters (2 rookies and 2 second year players) would dominate the West for a long time and Spurs fans would see Game 7 as a minor setback that was necessary to achieving domination. Yeah, not so much.

angel_luv
12-14-2006, 10:50 AM
I was only eight. My dad probably watched.

KB24
12-14-2006, 10:53 AM
Most SPURS fans that I know became fans because of DUNCAN and when the SPURS started winning. That is totally normal thought. I became a LAKER fan because of MAGIC, even thought my dad liked the LAKERS since they moved to our home town of LA.

The hard part as a Fan is to stay True to your team (Winning or Losing). I think SA SPURS Fans have that quality, I really admire that.

STAY TRUE!!!

MosesGuthrie
12-14-2006, 11:59 AM
The hard part as a Fan is to stay True to your team (Winning or Losing). I think SA SPURS Fans have that quality, I really admire that.

STAY TRUE!!!

Amen. Its easy to be a fan of a winner....it takes heart to stay with your team when they are losing.

It was amazing how many Magic "fans" became Laker "fans" then suddenly became Heat "fans" because of Shaq. Same with the Bulls. They went from very few fans to millions to gone again. I imagine when Duncan leaves, some will go with him. If and when the Spurs fall on hard times again, more will leave. Those of us who will stay behind will enjoy the extra legroom on the bandwagon.

Good for you for staying with your team. :tu

2centsworth
12-14-2006, 12:02 PM
I was in Disney World with my family getting updates every 10 minutes.

Beaverfuzz
12-14-2006, 12:46 PM
David Robinson led the Spurs to a gut-wrenching Game 7 in the 1990 Western Conference Semifinals loss against Portland, a game in which San Antonio led by 7 points with a little over 2:30 to play, where Rod Strickland threw a no-look pass to the baseline cameramen?

I was a senior in high school and watched it from a sports bar back in the good ole days when a fake ID was as easy to come by as getting any old Joe off the street to buy a high school kid a six pack of beer.

I remember not being overly disappointed by the loss, thinking that from 1991 on, the Spurs were a dynasty in making and David Robinson was to become one of the top five players in NBA history.

I was at the Memorial Coliseum, conflicted at the time of who I wanted to win. Spurs win, great...Blazers win, possiblity of watching the NBA Finals live. Strickland's pass wasn't really to the baseline, it was more to his right (Jerome Kersey). Those were the good years of Blazer ball, was nice to have season tickets back then. Now you can't even give the tickets away.

Beaverfuzz
12-14-2006, 12:48 PM
I was 7 years old and at home in Phoenix pissed off that the Blazers beat the Suns in the series before and then more pissed that they were going to the Finals

(Sports Illustrated for Kids had done a nice article on David Robinson, so I was cheering for him and I'd just gotten his rookie card in a pack of Upper Deck cards.)

David's Rookie Card was 89-90 Hoops only, not Upper Deck. Upper Deck was 1991.

Ballcox
12-14-2006, 01:00 PM
I was in college, me and my buds would always get together at someone's place to watch the Spurs, especially in the playoffs. I just remember being completely dumbstruck after Strickland made that no look behind the back pass. I was also very drunk and proceede to pick up a lamp and throw it across the room, this lead to an almost fight between me and some of my drunk friends who were also pissed off. We all got over it eventually. :lol

ShoogarBear
12-14-2006, 01:52 PM
I was in Boston in graduate school. Strickland's pass is what everyone remembers, but there were a lot of painful things about that game.

-Spurs had a 6 point lead with about 1:30 left in regulation and blew it.
-Willie Anderson has the ball on a breakaway with less than 10 seconds in regulation left coming down the court for the winning dunk. Clyde Drexler makes probably the best defensive play of his life by coming out of nowhere and just grazing the ball with the tips of his fingertips, causing Willie to lose control of the ball out of bounds and the game to go to OT.
-Strickland's pass was questionable, but if Sean Elliotttttttt had done the right thing and made the backdoor cut to catch the ball, we'd probably be talking about it like it was the greatest play in Spurs history.
-After The Pass, Portland fast breaks up the court and, I think Terry Porter gets fouled by Strickland on the break. Even though Strickland was clearly making a play on the ball, the refs call a BS flagrant foul to seal the game.

To this day, I'm convinced that if the Spurs had won that game, they make it to the Finals that year, and, if not that year, the DRob/Larry Brown Spurs win a title at some point.

Taco
12-14-2006, 02:01 PM
I was in Boston in graduate school. Strickland's pass is what everyone remembers, but there were a lot of painful things about that game.

-Spurs had a 6 point lead with about 1:30 left in regulation and blew it.
-Willie Anderson has the ball on a breakaway with less than 10 seconds in regulation left coming down the court for the winning dunk. Clyde Drexler makes probably the best defensive play of his life by coming out of nowhere and just grazing the ball with the tips of his fingertips, causing Willie to lose control of the ball out of bounds and the game to go to OT.
-Strickland's pass was questionable, but if Sean Elliotttttttt had done the right thing and made the backdoor cut to catch the ball, we'd probably be talking about it like it was the greatest play in Spurs history.
-After The Pass, Portland fast breaks up the court and, I think Terry Porter gets fouled by Strickland on the break. Even though Strickland was clearly making a play on the ball, the refs call a BS flagrant foul to seal the game.

To this day, I'm convinced that if the Spurs had won that game, they make it to the Finals that year, and, if not that year, the DRob/Larry Brown Spurs win a title at some point.

Yep Sean was cutting towards the basket and then just stopped

I was 26, a season ticket holder watching with some fellow season ticket holders, we cried in our beer

That's ok It just made the Memorial Day Miracle that much sweeter

http://www.nba.com/media/playoffs2004/elliott_99_450.jpg
http://www.nba.com/playoffs2003/greatest_elliott.html

RonMexico
12-14-2006, 03:30 PM
David's Rookie Card was 89-90 Hoops only, not Upper Deck. Upper Deck was 1991.

That's right - it was Hoops... good call.

Either way, if anyone wants to talk about plenty of legroom on the bandwagon - trying being an Arizona Cardinals fan since you were 4...

KB24
12-14-2006, 04:21 PM
That's right - it was Hoops... good call.

Either way, if anyone wants to talk about plenty of legroom on the bandwagon - trying being an Arizona Cardinals fan since you were 4...

Ouch!!!!

GrandeDavid
12-14-2006, 08:21 PM
I was a senior in high school. Game 7 was on the same day as the local all-star football game for high school seniors. I was in a lockerroom at Trinity University with the rest of my West San Antonio teammates getting ready for the game, when someone mentioned that there was a TV showing the game in the coaches' office. Players from the East and West teams crowded into that office to catch a glimpse of that tiny TV and root for the Spurs. As the game progressed you'd see guys from the East team giving high fives to players from the West team and things like that. Then we went out and beat each other up for 3 hours.

My disappointment about the Spurs loss was mitigated late in the 4th Quarter of the football game when Nick Ramirez of McCollum H.S., having been given great time to throw by the offensive line, threw a long touchdown pass to Dyron Brodbeck of Taft H.S. to win the game for my team. I have now officially lived in the past.

I had attended Games 3 and 6 of that Portland series and remember thinking, like so many others, that the setback in Portland in Game 7 was minor, that the Spurs very young starters (2 rookies and 2 second year players) would dominate the West for a long time and Spurs fans would see Game 7 as a minor setback that was necessary to achieving domination. Yeah, not so much.

Awesome account! And it seems you and I are the same age, whatever that means.

cherylsteele
12-14-2006, 09:42 PM
Most SPURS fans that I know became fans because of DUNCAN and when the SPURS started winning. That is totally normal thought. I became a LAKER fan because of MAGIC, even thought my dad liked the LAKERS since they moved to our home town of LA.

STAY TRUE!!!
I became a fan in 1980 when my family moved to San Antonio from Virginia.
They were winning then with Ice, Junior, Mitch, A-Train, Banks, etc. I stayed a fan since then...including those lean years in the late 1980's.

As for the question to start the thread...I was working at Chewy's in North Star Mall and we brought in a portable TV and watched it. I was so upset when Strickland through that bonehead pass over his head to the peanut vendor in the stands. That was the turning point in the game.