PDA

View Full Version : ESPN All Time College Football Team

johngateswhiteley
12-13-2006, 07:39 PM
...this should be interesting. it airs on ESPN at 6pm MT.

thoughts: a lot of great teams over the years...who the hell knows how they are going to quantify the winner...i'm guessing all the votes on sportsnation.

prediction: Southern Cal, of course.

Fillmoe
12-13-2006, 07:51 PM
http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2004/writers/pete_mcentegart/12/03/ten.spot/tx_miami_getty.jpg

johngateswhiteley
12-13-2006, 08:15 PM
...one last point before we see the 1st round results. i am curious to see how the voters reacted to the older teams matching up with the younger ones. there is a tendency to vote for the younger teams as the voters have more than likely seen them play verse a team, say from the 1950s. thats just stupid and i hope the voters are smart enough to do at least some research before voting.

...but i doubt that will happen.

johngateswhiteley
12-13-2006, 08:56 PM
...wow, this is actually VERY entertaining. if you are into debating CFB and stuff i think you'll love it. i particularly enjoyed the debate about the option and whether those great option teams would survive today.

talking about t.u. vs. 1945 Army right now, good stuff.

(btw, shit the t-wolves are shooting 65% against the Spurs)

T-Pain
12-13-2006, 09:22 PM
haha '04 USC got beat out by the '71 Huskers!!!

johngateswhiteley
12-13-2006, 09:28 PM
haha '04 USC got beat out by the '71 Huskers!!!

yep, USC had a pretty good lead and then ESPN made light of it, to which nebraska voters responded in droves and pushed them over the top. ESPN should not have done that...i wanted to see t.u. vs. USC, but oh well.

....most of the guys on the panel think the USC 2004 team was probably the best of the bunch.

johngateswhiteley
12-13-2006, 09:45 PM
unreal. the 1971 nebraska team beat 2004 USC by less than 1% point and then beat 2005 t.u. by a LANDSLIDE. point being:

...the nebraska fans have TAKEN OVER espn voting. unreal! gotta give them this, they are great fans.

johngateswhiteley
12-13-2006, 09:48 PM
one of the guys on the panel just said what i think:

"the 2004 USC and 1995 nebraska teams were the best" in his opinion. and before this whole thing started thats what i thought and was looking forward to that match up and what people thought.

...thank you nebraska fans, thank you for making this whole thing a mockery. i hope A&M, ou, and yes...even t.u. beat the hell out of nebraska next year. fuck the cornhuskers, lol, but you are GREAT fans. i'll give you that.

johngateswhiteley
12-13-2006, 10:04 PM
well, the closing thoughts had all the older coaches saying the 1995 nebraska team was, in fact, the best team ever. and the younger analysts saying 2004 USC was the best team ever. obviously we will never know but those two teams, as i said before, are my opinion of the best ever.

that 2004 USC team had the defense to go with the offense and that 1995 nebraska team was the best rushing team i have ever seen. i remember watching the huskers annihilate florida in the title game, my dad made me go watch the game in the back house cause i was going crazy (i loved frazier). anyway, both teams were truly amazing.

IcemanCometh
12-13-2006, 11:22 PM
none of those teams had vince young

dg7md
12-14-2006, 12:13 AM

:fro

johngateswhiteley
12-14-2006, 01:31 AM

his team was not good enough.

HuskerinSA
12-14-2006, 01:59 AM
one of the guys on the panel just said what i think:

"the 2004 USC and 1995 nebraska teams were the best" in his opinion. and before this whole thing started thats what i thought and was looking forward to that match up and what people thought.

...thank you nebraska fans, thank you for making this whole thing a mockery. i hope A&M, ou, and yes...even t.u. beat the hell out of nebraska next year. fuck the cornhuskers, lol, but you are GREAT fans. i'll give you that.

The 1971 Nebraska football team will always be reguarded as one of the best, if not THE best college football team ever. They beat the #2 Oklahoma team in Norman, in one of the greatest games ever. They finished the season by beating #2 Alabama in the Orange Bowl, 38-6. They crushed everyone that season (besides Oklahoma) and deserve to be ranked accordingly.

The 1995 team also crushed the opponent, with an average score of 55-14. The closest game of the season was a 14 point win over Washington St. They beat 4 top 10 teams by an average score of 30 points, and absolutely devastated a Florida team that had gone undefeated in the SEC. Florida fans still get nightmares of "the run" by Tommie Frazier.

2004 USC was a great team, and should be somewhere up there, but no way ahead of EITHER one of these teams. They dominated some good teams, but didn't dominate everyone the way these Nebraska teams did. The Husker Nation is strong and could overtake any phone/computer poll if we wanted too, but we don't need to. Try to take the bias out of it and search for any of the computer rankings that have compiled an "all time" list, and get back to me on who you consistently find at the top. out.

johngateswhiteley
12-14-2006, 02:13 AM
The 1971 Nebraska football team will always be reguarded as one of the best, if not THE best college football team ever. They beat the #2 Oklahoma team in Norman, in one of the greatest games ever. They finished the season by beating #2 Alabama in the Orange Bowl, 38-6. They crushed everyone that season (besides Oklahoma) and deserve to be ranked accordingly.

The 1995 team also crushed the opponent, with an average score of 55-14. The closest game of the season was a 14 point win over Washington St. They beat 4 top 10 teams by an average score of 30 points, and absolutely devastated a Florida team that had gone undefeated in the SEC. Florida fans still get nightmares of "the run" by Tommie Frazier.

2004 USC was a great team, and should be somewhere up there, but no way ahead of EITHER one of these teams. They dominated some good teams, but didn't dominate everyone the way these Nebraska teams did. The Husker Nation is strong and could overtake any phone/computer poll if we wanted too, but we don't need to. Try to take the bias out of it and search for any of the computer rankings that have compiled an "all time" list, and get back to me on who you consistently find at the top. out.

your rabid fans took over the polls tonight, it was obvious. USC 2004 was beating the 1971 Nebraska team by about 10% points. then ESPN showed that and said the nebraska fans better get out and vote...surprise surprise, the voting swayed in about 2 minutes and nebraska 1971 won by less than 1%.

i am very familiar with CFB history, and imo, the 1995 team was head and shoulders better than the 1971 team. the 2004 USC team stepped up huge when they played tough teams and imo, is better than the 1971 team...but we will never know and you're a nebraska fan and i am a Trojan fan.

btw, Lou holtz and all the younger analysts (the majority of panelists) thought USC 2004 was the best team and should have played 1995 nebraska...which is how i saw it. and to be honest, from that match up i like the 1995 nebraska team as the best team ever. that team was flat out stellar.

and keep in mind back then, the best players always went to the same schools. that is not the case now, it is MUCH harder to dominant and go on long winning streaks since there is much more parity.

lebomb
12-14-2006, 08:38 AM
1995 huskers...................................BY FAR!

MajorMike
12-14-2006, 09:11 AM
http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2004/writers/pete_mcentegart/12/03/ten.spot/tx_miami_getty.jpg

"Multiple gunshots fill the block, the fun stops
Niggaz is callin cops, people shot, nobody stop"

Why does it seem terribly fitting that there is a Miami helmet in a post with this quote?

MajorMike
12-14-2006, 09:14 AM
your rabid fans took over the polls tonight, it was obvious. USC 2004 was beating the 1971 Nebraska team by about 10% points. then ESPN showed that and said the nebraska fans better get out and vote...surprise surprise, the voting swayed in about 2 minutes and nebraska 1971 won by less than 1%.

i am very familiar with CFB history, and imo, the 1995 team was head and shoulders better than the 1971 team. the 2004 USC team stepped up huge when they played tough teams and imo, is better than the 1971 team...but we will never know and you're a nebraska fan and i am a Trojan fan.

btw, Lou holtz and all the younger analysts (the majority of panelists) thought USC 2004 was the best team and should have played 1995 nebraska...which is how i saw it. and to be honest, from that match up i like the 1995 nebraska team as the best team ever. that team was flat out stellar.

and keep in mind back then, the best players always went to the same schools. that is not the case now, it is MUCH harder to dominant and go on long winning streaks since there is much more parity.

The most recent are always remembered the most fondly, and perhaps erroneously.

mardigan
12-14-2006, 10:34 AM
Bull fucking shit his team wasnt good enough, almost the whole team will be in the pros, and Vince by himself was good enough to lead any team to a W.

SrA Husker
12-14-2006, 11:27 AM
Don't blame our Rabid fans on this, last I checked, this was a national telecast...everyone had equal opportunity to vote :)

Personally, I agree completely with the end result - 1995 Nebraska is the best college football team ever.

The 71' Nebraska team beat #s 2,3,& 4 in the final AP that year, and the only game that was even close was at #2 Oklahoma. The 95' team beat 4 top ten teams in the final AP, and the closest win was by 14 points (and it wasn't over one those teams). Miami's 01' team played 5 end of year AP top 25 teams, but only one was in the top ten and the other were 15 or below in the poll. They also had a two point squeaker at Va. Tech that year who ended up 8-4 and #18.

The 04' USC team beat 4 end of year AP top 25 teams (3,9,10,19), but they also had a 3 point win over unranked Stanford (4-7), a 8 point win over an unranked Oregon State(7-5), and a 5 point win over unranked UCLA (6-6). Truly a dominate team.

The 71' and 95' teams dominated the top competition of their day while Miami 01' and USC 04', while being good teams, played less competitive teams and squeaked by (esp. USC) teams they should have dominated.

Bottom Line: GO BIG RED. HUSKER POWER. On the field and in the stands.

Oh yeah, for good measure, watch Herb lose it on National TV over Nebraska dominating over all his "favorite teams" -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2al4sevl9NA

Willinsa
12-14-2006, 01:18 PM

Good enough to make Leinhart a losing whiny bitch.

Fillmoe
12-14-2006, 01:40 PM
2001 Miami squad >>>>>>>>>>> all your soft ass college teams!

KEN DORSEY >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> YOUR FAV QB!

RonMexico
12-14-2006, 03:39 PM
1996 Arizona State

Holmes_Fans
12-16-2006, 08:54 AM
I don't get why people get all riled up over these things. Everyone knows there is no way '45 Army could compete with any team in this century. The very good HS teams would roll over them if we could put them all in a dalorean and go back to 1945. '71 Nebraska couldn't hang with any of the recent NC teams.

johngateswhiteley
12-16-2006, 12:07 PM
I don't get why people get all riled up over these things. Everyone knows there is no way '45 Army could compete with any team in this century. The very good HS teams would roll over them if we could put them all in a dalorean and go back to 1945. '71 Nebraska couldn't hang with any of the recent NC teams.

probably, but i don't think its fair to compare like that. you compare relative dominance and schedules, thats the only way to do it. its not those older teams faults they were born years ago. btw, no way a high school could beat 1945 Army...thats laughable.