PDA

View Full Version : Johnny Ludden : Spurs notebook: Vaughn gives team needed defensive zeal

Bruno
12-14-2006, 02:13 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA121406.06C.BKNspurs.notebook.3631753.html

Web Posted: 12/14/2006 12:36 AM CST
Mike Monroe and Johnny Ludden
Express-News

Recovery from a recent bout with stomach flu came just in time for Spurs point guard Jacque Vaughn.

After missing Monday's game with the Clippers because his flu symptoms left him drained, Vaughn was back in uniform for Wednesday's game at the AT&T Center against the Minnesota Timberwolves. He was a vital part of the lineup that turned around the game in the second half with some aggressive defense that included some full-court pressure.

Though he played just five minutes and 42 seconds and scored only three points, he gave Spurs coach Gregg Popovich the energy boost he was seeking off the bench.

"He's a really tough little guy in those situations," Popovich said. "He's experienced and he knows what we're looking for. I wanted him to keep that pressure on up the court."

Vaughn got the bulk of the backup minutes behind Tony Parker in the second half of the Spurs' 95-82 victory over the Timberwolves after Beno Udrih struggled defensively in the first half.

"I just tried to bring energy and somehow be a spark," Vaughn said. "That's really all there is to it. We weren't our normal selves, as far as communicating and executing our defensive plan. Going to halftime, they were shooting (60.5) percent from the field. That's so uncharacteristic of us.

"As a team, that's all we talked about at halftime and we knew what we had to do going back out for the third quarter."

Vaughn figures he caught the flu late last week from his wife, Laura, and sons Jalen and Jeremiah.

"I got my flu shot, but they didn't," he said. "I guess I caught it by being a good dad."

Horry to get night off: Popovich said he expects to give Robert Horry tonight off because it is the second game of a back-to-back.

Horry also didn't play Monday against the Los Angeles Clippers. Popovich would like to continue to hold him out when the team doesn't have a day off between games.

"We're going to try to stick with it as much as we can," Popovich said before Wednesday's game. "If he doesn't play too many minutes or if for some reason he says he feels great tomorrow and he wants to go, I'll go with what he wants to do."

Sitting Horry could free up minutes for Fabricio Oberto and Matt Bonner. Jackie Butler, who has only been in uniform two games, also might get more of an opportunity to be on the active roster.

"It helps develop the rest of the team and helps keep Robert fresh," Popovich said. "It's a good thing both ways."

A.I. not on Casey's radar: The Minnesota Timberwolves have been listed among the suitors for Allen Iverson ever since Kevin Garnett made a public plea for the team to trade for the Philadelphia 76ers guard.

Timberwolves coach Dwane Casey said the speculation hasn't been a distraction for the team.

"I refuse to even talk about it," Casey said. "That's not even my department."

MoSpur
12-14-2006, 10:13 AM
Vaughn got the bulk of the backup minutes behind Tony Parker in the second half of the Spurs' 95-82 victory over the Timberwolves after Beno Udrih struggled defensively in the first half.

What a surprise

The Truth #6
12-14-2006, 11:06 AM
My issue with Beno is not his defense. Obviously, yes, it could be better, but the same can be said for Bones and Finley. I just want Beno to return to his strengths - distributing and shooting the ball. That's where he's been off. If his defense improves, cool, but I think all Pop wants him to do is improve his attitude. This wreaks of Rasho having to do dunking and yelling drills in his first year with Mario Ellie.