PDA

View Full Version : The Church of Elson...Come into the light!

jn77
12-14-2006, 04:41 PM
Who is with us...Old members and new members alkie! :downspin:

For those of you who have waited to join, it's time to come into the light! He has been consistent of the bench, he is playing well as a starter. Last night 7pts, 2 assists, 7 rebounds (2 offensive/ 5 defensive) in twenty seven minutes. I look forward to the good things he will bring us in the future. Does anyone know how long his contract is for?

davi78239
12-14-2006, 04:48 PM
Isn't for like only 1 year?

jn77
12-14-2006, 04:54 PM
I'm not sure...if it is for only one year, do the Spurs have an option on him?

Streakyshooter08
12-14-2006, 04:57 PM
I think it was 2 years. I am not sure but I think the 2nd year was a team option...

Kori Ellis
12-14-2006, 04:57 PM
It's a 2 year deal (no options).

He's playing okay. He needs to start rotating on D, so his teammates don't have to worry about that and then he'll be fine.

jn77
12-14-2006, 04:59 PM
I did notice him out of position a couple of times last night, but he seems to get back quickly most of the time instead of giving up.

Kori Ellis
12-14-2006, 05:02 PM
I did notice him out of position a couple of times last night, but he seems to get back quickly most of the time instead of giving up.

The problem is that he's out of position so often, that his teammates expect it and try to help him, becoming out of position themselves. Then the whole defensive scheme gets out of whack. He also gets into foul trouble easily. Hopefully over time, he'll catch on. The Spurs need both Elson and Oberto to play well this season to compete in the postseason.

Fabbs
12-14-2006, 05:05 PM
repeat people, Nazr was out of position in 2005.
I think we know how those playoffs concluded.

I know Kori would want me to post that Spurs are now 10-0 with Elson doing 20+.

Come join everyone.

jn77
12-14-2006, 05:09 PM
Hopefully he will fully catch on soon. I really like the way he plays and think he will be productive in the postseason.

Kori, do you think him being inserted into the starting lineup is so he can perfect the defensive rotations? Or is it Pop trying to build his confidence?

Kori Ellis
12-14-2006, 05:11 PM
repeat people, Nazr was out of position in 2005.
I think we know how those playoffs concluded.

You act like the Spurs won in 2005 because he was out of position :lol

Whatever Nazr did in small stretches in the 2005 playoffs doesn't have any bearing on the fact that if Elson gets playing time in the regular season and doesn't get better defensively, then he won't be get playing time in the postseason. So we need to hope that he gets better. Neither Elson nor Oberto are great, but they both bring something to the table and I'd rather see one of them up front with Tim than Finley at PF.

We don't want small ball again.

Kori Ellis
12-14-2006, 05:13 PM
Hopefully he will fully catch on soon. I really like the way he plays and think he will be productive in the postseason.

Kori, do you think him being inserted into the starting lineup is so he can perfect the defensive rotations? Or is it Pop trying to build his confidence?

From what I understand Pop is trying to see if playing with the starters will improve his play and confidence. A few weeks ago Pop said he was playing too confused and too fast. I think they are just trying to get him to catch on to everything. They know his athleticism is useful and they want to be able to use him.

jn77
12-14-2006, 05:14 PM
From what I understand Pop is trying to see if playing with the starters will improve his play and confidence. A few weeks ago Pop said he was playing too confused and too fast. I think they are just trying to get him to catch on to everything. They know his athleticism is useful and they want to be able to use him.

:tu

I will remain a card carrying member of the "Church of Elson" I believe! He is a fun player to watch. Join now don't wait!

Fabbs
12-14-2006, 05:28 PM
You act like the Spurs won in 2005 because he was out of position :lol
Noooo. Some boardies are thinking Elsons occasional (but frequent) out of rotations are going to cost the Spurs a shot.

Whatever Nazr did in small stretches in the 2005 playoffs doesn't have any bearing on the fact that if Elson gets playing time in the regular season and doesn't get better defensively, then he won't be get playing time in the postseason.

The Naz Man did 20+ in 2005. I don't need to tell the corelation.
So it's better to lose with small ball but have everybody "in position"?
Okay best case is Elson in position D for 2007 Title.
2nd is Elson occasionally out of position for 2007 Title.
803rd place unacceptable is Elson on bench with SmallBall in position for 2007 2nd round ouster.

We don't want small ball again.
Unified! Testify!

BigVee
12-14-2006, 05:28 PM
I hear what you are saying about him being out of position from a team standpoint, but I like what I see man on man. I thought the times he was head up with KG he did very well. When he does make a mistake he has the aggressiveness and speed to get back into the play. He is quick on the trap and long enough to create a lot of problems.

Kori Ellis
12-14-2006, 05:29 PM
The Naz Man did 20+ in 2005.

Did 20+ what?

picnroll
12-14-2006, 05:30 PM
I like the aggressiveness Elson shows on defense. He jumps the pick and hedges extremely aggressively, sometimes gets out of position and can't get back but most of the time he does get back. And when he's in their jumping those picks you rarely see the Spurs getting burned by penetration down the middle which in the age of don't breathe on them refiing is very important. A little more control and he'll give the Spurs a great dimension.

alamo50
12-14-2006, 05:59 PM
I've been standing in that damn light since 1999!

jn77
12-14-2006, 06:06 PM
I've been standing in that damn light since 1999!

Testify!!

Bring others to the light!

sandman
12-14-2006, 06:07 PM
Did 20+ what?

Pump fakes per shot?

Fabbs
12-14-2006, 06:18 PM
Did 20+ what?
Minutes per game entire playoffs.

Lot of what Elson does/Naz when combined with Dunkar is not neccessarily shown by stats, other then Wins :blah :toast.
I think they make the other teams front line work much much more then smallballs, helps tire them out for 2nd half and 4th qtrs.

We are in unison that Church of Elson with Duncan >>>>>>smallball.
Unite! Testify!

Kori Ellis
12-14-2006, 06:24 PM
We are in unison that Church of Elson with Duncan >>>>>>smallball.

:lol I am not in the church of anyone. I don't care if Elson, Oberto or Butler play with Duncan as long as whoever it is puts up about 7 and 7 and plays D.

jn77
12-14-2006, 06:28 PM
:lol I am not in the church of anyone. I don't care if Elson, Oberto or Butler play with Duncan as long as whoever it is puts up about 7 and 7 and plays D.

Will you come and visit us once and a while at the Church of Elson Kori?

Kori Ellis
12-14-2006, 06:31 PM
Will you come and visit us once and a while at the Church of Elson Kori?

:lol Of course, I visit the church of Manu, church of Tony, etc regularly.

It's funny that Tim doesn't have a church, but he's the best. :fro

ALVAREZ6
12-14-2006, 06:35 PM
Tim's Church is axiomatic.

jn77
12-14-2006, 06:36 PM
:lol Of course, I visit the church of Manu, church of Tony, etc regularly.

Yeah, why is there no Church of Duncan, or church of No Small ball? :lol

xamila rey
12-14-2006, 09:17 PM
I like Elson quickness,
but he gotta improve in defense a lot,
until then i hold my opinion about him.
so far elson + fab>>>> nazr+rasho

ShoogarBear
12-14-2006, 10:33 PM
What is occasional (but frequent)?

ShoogarBear
12-14-2006, 10:33 PM
Tim's Church is axiomatic.Somebody's been studying for the SATs.

Fabbs
12-15-2006, 01:18 AM
What is occasional (but frequent)?
like regulary irregular.

He's out of position several times a game.
Then he has a game where he is out only once.

Better to be out of position a few times a game and Spurs win with Elson-Duncan TallBall

or

Be "in position" for cutesy wootsey small ball and lose.

Assume the position if you want. You'll have company.
(And i know you are not a smallball honk Sugar, by "you" i mean the smallballers and duh uh i don't sthee no differwencth with Elthson crowd)
I'll go with the Championship plan.

ChumpDumper
12-15-2006, 01:22 AM
like regulary irregular.Like incontinent.

Fabbs
12-15-2006, 01:34 AM
Like incontinent.
Exactly. You've got your regular irregulars like we all are on occasion and then you have your Dumpers.

Fabbs
12-15-2006, 01:36 AM
How insensitive. How do you think those comments make Elson, Oberto or Butler feel?

Kori Ellis
12-15-2006, 01:43 AM
How insensitive. How do you think those comments make Elson, Oberto or Butler feel?

Huh? Why should anyone care which player it is that plays as long as they get the job done?

Big Shot Rob
12-15-2006, 08:31 PM
I have seen the light...

SenorSpur
12-15-2006, 09:32 PM
The problem is that he's out of position so often, that his teammates expect it and try to help him, becoming out of position themselves. Then the whole defensive scheme gets out of whack. He also gets into foul trouble easily. Hopefully over time, he'll catch on. The Spurs need both Elson and Oberto to play well this season to compete in the postseason.

I actually traveled to New Orleans to attend the game on Thursday night. During a 3rd quarter timeout, Pop spent a few minutes alone with Elson to offer him instructions on how to position himself defensively.

He's a bright guy and he'll catch on. We're defintely going to need his contributions over the course of the season - especially against the Mavs.

SenorSpur
12-15-2006, 09:34 PM
I have seen the light...

"Praise da Lawd" at the Church of Elson. :fro