PDA

View Full Version : Best RB Producing State?

TxJudsonRocketTx
12-14-2006, 08:13 PM
Texas maybe?

Earl Campbell
Eric Dickerson
Ladanian Tomlinson
Priest Holmes

With Rhodes, Benson, and a bunch of other backs waiting for their chance, anyone im forgetting?

King
12-14-2006, 09:49 PM
You may have to put Ricky Williams on there (unless you're talking about born and bred) because before he went crazy, he was one of the better NFL backs.

Guru of Nothing
12-15-2006, 12:34 AM
Thread hijack - I'll ask this loaded question once again ....

If you could pick one QB, one RB and one WR from one state, which state would give you the best trio, all time?

Here's a hint - it's not California, Texas, Michigan, Florida, Ohio or Pennsylvania; and second place is not even close.

For those that know the answer, please remain quiet and allow others to struggle.

mookie2001
12-15-2006, 01:13 AM
Thurman Thomas, Adrian Peterson and Joseph Addai look promising

TxJudsonRocketTx
12-15-2006, 02:04 AM
I'm talking born and bred, or at least raised and attended high school. As for the trio of stars to pick from, I'm going to guess Georgia is the state with the three stars--Frank Tarkenton at QB, Jim Brown at RB and Hines Ward at WR?

TxJudsonRocketTx
12-15-2006, 02:08 AM
Here's the latest Hall of Fame count by state on NFL.com

Pennsylvania (26), Texas (24), Ohio (21), Illinois (16) and California (15)

We know LT is going in, and hopefully Priest Holmes

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/9557566

MajorMike
12-15-2006, 08:20 AM
Actually, the big knock on Texas RBs is that they burn out early. They play o long, have it so beat into their skull, and is the only thing they know for the longest time that they end to flame out after a few good/great/medicore NFL seasons or have injuries that stem from overuse. Look at your lists: Campbell - flamed out; Dickerson - would have been #1 going away but he would rather bitch about money than play; Holmes - hip, knee, spine injuries he attributes to years of grinding; Williams - flamed out; Benson - as been quoted in the Chicago paper saying, "I'm not sure I want to play football anymore;" Rhodes - been very injuried his whole hort career; Tatum Bell - is off and on injured all the time; Quinten Griffith - constantly injured; Doak Walker - oft injured, played only 6 years;

Of course, you can't say that about all of them. Thurman was a star, an MVP, should have had a Super Bowl MVP, and was fairly injury free. LT is healthy so far, as had Addai.

What about Kansas RBs? Barry Sanders, Gale Sayers, John Riggins, Darren Sproles?

MosesGuthrie
12-15-2006, 08:45 AM
Frank Tarkenton

:huh

Fran Tarkenton maybe? :p:

TxJudsonRocketTx
12-15-2006, 11:14 AM
:huh

Fran Tarkenton maybe? :p:

Didnt even notice that, probably should read before I post :depressed

TxJudsonRocketTx
12-15-2006, 11:14 AM
What about Kansas RBs? Barry Sanders, Gale Sayers, John Riggins, Darren Sproles?

It's not so much Kansas RB's as it is Wichita, I think Barry and Sayers were both born in Wichita, but as for the "burn-out" with Texas stars, I cant say I disagree with the overuse, these guys carry the ball and take hits in Texas from 7th grade on up, and high schools will ride a back to a state championship until the wheels fall off.

MosesGuthrie
12-15-2006, 11:22 AM
Didnt even notice that, probably should read before I post

:lol

Its all good bro. Hell, when McCombs hired Jerry Tarkanian to coach the Spurs...he introduced him as "Coach Tarkington"

At that point, I knew we were doomed. :lmao

MosesGuthrie
12-15-2006, 11:22 AM
It's not so much Kansas RB's as it is Wichita, I think Barry and Sayers were both born in Wichita, but as for the "burn-out" with Texas stars, I cant say I disagree with the overuse, these guys carry the ball and take hits in Texas from 7th grade on up, and high schools will ride a back to a state championship until the wheels fall off.

Good point. Add that to the normal dual and sometimes three sport activity these kids have plus there is the mental side with any great young athlete. Everyone telling them how great they are from such an early age and putting so much pressure on them.

I am surprised we haven't had any of them just snap and shoot up a Wendy's.

TxJudsonRocketTx
12-15-2006, 11:29 AM
Good point. Add that to the normal dual and sometimes three sport activity these kids have plus there is the mental side with any great young athlete. Everyone telling them how great they are from such an early age and putting so much pressure on them.

I am surprised we haven't had any of them just snap and shoot up a Wendy's.

Well I dunno, at Judson at least we had a RB that took us to our last state title--Chancey Campbell, and he played in the All-American game and all that stuff and was still one of the coolest dudes to ever be around, even with one of the bigger names in the country that year. And Ricky Williams is a Californian, not a Texas boy :downspin:

FromWayDowntown
12-15-2006, 11:31 AM
Thread hijack - I'll ask this loaded question once again ....

If you could pick one QB, one RB and one WR from one state, which state would give you the best trio, all time?

Here's a hint - it's not California, Texas, Michigan, Florida, Ohio or Pennsylvania; and second place is not even close.

For those that know the answer, please remain quiet and allow others to struggle.

I hadn't thought about it, but I think you're speaking of Mississippi.

And you're right -- it would be hard to be better than a combination of Brett Favre, Walter Payton, and Jerry Rice.

TxJudsonRocketTx
12-15-2006, 11:34 AM
I hadn't thought about it, but I think you're speaking of Mississippi.

And you're right -- it would be hard to be better than a combination of Brett Favre, Walter Payton, and Jerry Rice.

Well I hope this guy lets us know who the hell he was talking about

DarkReign
12-15-2006, 11:39 AM
I think FWD nailed it. Give me 3 better playes at their position.

To think Farve is the weakest link in that trio....scary.

FromWayDowntown
12-15-2006, 11:42 AM
For what it's worth, I have known Priest Holmes since we played together in high school and I'm undoubtedly among his very biggest fans. With that said, while I optimistically think there's an argument for him to be a Hall-of-Famer, I don't think that the argument is a particularly strong one.

It would be stronger if Terrell Davis is inducted into the Hall of Fame, but even then, TD has rings as a feature back; Priest has a ring from his days in Baltimore, but Jamal Lewis was the big dog on that team. Priest certainly has been a dynamic performer for a handful of years and has earned his way into the top 50 or so backs in history, but in the end, I'm not sure that he ever quite got into the super-elite level of Hall of Fame backs.

I hope the voters will prove me wrong; if they do, I'll be in the first row at Canton to celebrate such a great achievement. But I'm not going to book any hotel rooms just yet.

FromWayDowntown
12-15-2006, 11:44 AM
I think FWD nailed it. Give me 3 better playes at their position.

To think Farve is the weakest link in that trio....scary.

I agree with the latter thought. Actually, once I figured out the Rice/Payton connection, I looked for any other Mississippi QB's other than Favre. In the end, though, Favre trails only Marino in most categories and had some great successes back in the day. His resume is going to be difficult to top.

FromWayDowntown
12-15-2006, 06:32 PM
I think I'm right, but I need reassuring.

Oh Guru . . . . .

Guru of Nothing
12-16-2006, 09:26 PM
I think I'm right, but I need reassuring.

Oh Guru . . . . .

Yes, Mississippi is correct. There is no plausible counter to Rice, Payton and Favre.

MosesGuthrie
12-17-2006, 01:25 AM
not as a trio, no.

Good find.