PDA

View Full Version : Are Ipods worth buying?

dirk4mvp
12-14-2006, 11:11 PM
I'm considering an Ipod for christmas. The commercial says they are completely 'remastered' ---->Ipod commercial (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LLPZsMiUFg) They seem to be a better solution than my psp for music because music on the psp sounds like utter crap and with the default memory stick holds like 6 songs max and the 1 GB memory stick is $80.

But I hear the quality is poor and they break easy. Any truth to this? I wouldn't want to spend $200 on something like that and know it breaks easy.

And I'd probably get the 4 GB Nano cause it holds 1,000 songs, and that would be plenty enough.

So could anyone tell me if they are worth it? thanx.

Marklar MM
12-14-2006, 11:23 PM
But I hear the quality is poor and they break easy. Any truth to this? I wouldn't want to spend $200 on something like that and know it breaks easy.

I have dropped mine so many times, and it still works. They have an aluminum casing, so they are rather sturdy. The older versions had a thicker casing though. But I have had no problems with mine. Has many extra features.

NorCal510
12-14-2006, 11:41 PM
the other companies that make mp3 players are way cheaper and have good reviews... look into those my friend

ChumpDumper
12-14-2006, 11:53 PM
They're nice. Just remember that you are paying for all those commercials too.

leemajors
12-15-2006, 12:39 AM
if you get a nano, get one of the acrylic cases that covers the entire iPod including the lcd. they don't break very easily either. buy it with an amex or platinum mastercard while you're at it, they offer purchase protection if it is damaged beyond warranty repair. you can file a claim through the card company and get reimbursed for a replacement if Apple won't repair it due to damage (dents, cracked LCD, etc.)

Melmart1
12-15-2006, 01:26 AM
Buy a refurbished one direct from the Apple online store. A 4gb Nano is $149 and comes with a 1 yr warranty. When I upgrade I will likely buy from there as well, prolly after the holidays though.

1gb is only $89 and 2gb is $99, in case you are on a budget.

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?siteID=pp0U11nmf3Y-UylMTI9RIm%2F%2FqDkwna9wJA&mco=D52218E8&nclm=Certified

PM5K
12-15-2006, 02:07 AM
But I hear the quality is poor and they break easy.

And where exactly did you hear that?

ZStomp
12-15-2006, 02:37 AM
Yes, they are.
Get one.

Forget the MP3 players.

TDMVPDPOY
12-15-2006, 02:52 AM
dont waste ur money on that shit, they are so yesterday

stereo on shoulders ftw

TheSanityAnnex
12-15-2006, 03:02 AM
I still have the old Ipod mini and have never had a problem. Its a couple years old now.

jman3000
12-15-2006, 03:15 AM
i've had an ipod mini for a couple years too... the only problem i've had with mine is that i used it very heavily and the battery expectancy went from 8-10 hours to about 30 minutes... first time they replaced the ipod no problem... but i'm not sure if they do it twice... need to head to the apple store at la cantera to find out.

Slomo
12-15-2006, 04:20 AM
IMO the 2 main advantages that the ipod have is the user interface (that some people hate) and the sound quality. I have yet to hear a better sounding portable mp3 player.

I don't know about the nano but the "full size" ipods sound great, provided you throw away the original headphones and use something else.

PM5K
12-15-2006, 04:41 AM
IMO one of the biggest advantages the iPod has is accessories, no other DAP is more supported with third party accessories.

The Nomad Zen had superior sound quality IMO....

SpursWoman
12-15-2006, 06:51 AM
IMO the 2 main advantages that the ipod have is the user interface (that some people hate) and the sound quality. I have yet to hear a better sounding portable mp3 player.

My iriver sounds 100X times better than my ipod did...and it has FM radio that I didn't have to buy an extra component for. :)

I hated my ipod, but I can say another definite advantage is all of the extra shit you can throw even more money at for it. :greedy

dirk4mvp
12-15-2006, 07:10 AM
And where exactly did you hear that?

One of my friends broke hers by keeping it in her pocket all the time.

But the Ipod Nano's Wikipedia page (take it for what it's worth) says it can go through all kinds of abuse and still work.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ipod_Nano

Testing by technology-enthusiast website Ars Technica has shown that even after being sat on, dropped by a jogger, dropped four times from a car moving at various speeds, then being driven over twice by said car, and finally dropped from nine feet onto concrete, the unit's screen was damaged but that it could still play music. The unit finally stopped playing music after being thrown 40 feet into the air and landing on concrete.[3]

In similar tests on the second generation nano, the screen did not last as long; although the nano kept working, its screen was damaged after one hard drop on concrete. A subsequent trip through a washing machine also failed to kill it, although it did require two days to dry out before coming fully back to life.[4]

leemajors
12-15-2006, 08:41 AM
One of my friends broke hers by keeping it in her pocket all the time.

But the Ipod Nano's Wikipedia page (take it for what it's worth) says it can go through all kinds of abuse and still work.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ipod_Nano

there had to be more to it than just keeping it in her pocket - did she run into the corner of a desk?

Rusty Shackleford
12-15-2006, 08:41 AM
Melmart is right, go refurbished.

u2sarajevo
12-15-2006, 10:01 AM
Get this instead (http://www.zune.net/en-US/meetzune/device.htm)

nkdlunch
12-15-2006, 11:25 AM
the other companies that make mp3 players are way cheaper and have good reviews... look into those my friend

:tu

leemajors
12-15-2006, 11:41 AM
Get this instead (http://www.zune.net/en-US/meetzune/device.htm)

he doesn't want to carry around a small brick.

Duff McCartney
12-15-2006, 12:45 PM
Our Microsoft guy at work told us the Zune is pretty crappy...at least the first generation. The next generation is supposed to be a whole lot better.

I have a 60 GB ipod video and I love it. It's the greatest investment ever...I never have to carry around another cd ever again. I love having all my music in one spot...that way I can pick and choose what I want to listen to.

MoSpur
12-15-2006, 01:33 PM
Go w/an IPOD. At least 30g. You can watch movies, listen to your movies and all that other jazz. They're small and light. You can even hook it up to your TV to watch the videos you have downloaded. I've brought it to work and have watched movies while working. Its awesome. Buy a car charger for it though. When you use it a lot its good to have a charger with you to crank it back up.

MoSpur
12-15-2006, 01:35 PM
Here's a good deal on a refurbished one with 30g and video capacity.

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=32DAAC51&nclm=Certified