PDA

View Full Version : Spurs notebook: Hornets committed to Big Easy

Kori Ellis
12-15-2006, 01:54 AM
Spurs notebook: Hornets committed to Big Easy

Web Posted: 12/15/2006 12:35 AM CST

Johnny Ludden
Express-News

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA121506.10D.BKNspurs.notebook.36886de.html

NEW ORLEANS — Hornets owner George Shinn said Thursday he is leaning toward having the team play all of next season's home schedule in New Orleans.

Shinn said earlier this week he was considering having the Hornets play a handful of games next season in Oklahoma City, the team's primary home since it was forced from New Orleans by Hurricane Katrina. He said Thursday he would still consider that option if New Orleans would have trouble supporting a 41-game schedule, but he doesn't expect that to happen.

"At this point and time, probably the best thing to do is give it a 100 percent chance here," Shinn said. "If it doesn't work, it doesn't work. If it works, God bless us, we're moving on.

"I know it's not going to be easy. But we're going to give it our best shot."

Shinn said he hopes to have some New Orleans investors join the franchise's ownership group.

"I just think adding local people adds strength to the whole community," Shinn said. "The psyche is built up. Also, if they have skin in the game they're going to work harder to help us get tickets sold and sponsorships involved."

The Hornets had trouble generating enough fan support even before Katrina.

"I've been walking around the building talking to people," Shinn said. "People are telling me they're happy we're back and here to stay. It's all been very positive.

"But it's a business. (NBA commissioner) Mr. (David) Stern understands that. He isn't too happy when he doesn't see people in the seats."

Duncan among All-Star leaders: Tim Duncan ranks second among Western Conference forwards in balloting for the NBA All-Star Game.

The league released its first returns Thursday and Duncan has 423,228 votes, second to Minnesota's Kevin Garnett (453,536). Dallas' Dirk Nowitzki is third with 405,613.

The Los Angeles Lakers' Kobe Bryant (720,365) and Houston's Tracy McGrady (668,130) are first and second among West guards. The Spurs' Manu Ginobili (125,076) and Tony Parker (118,417) are sixth and seventh, respectively.

Houston center Yao Ming leads all West players with 836,392.

The Eastern Conference leaders are: guards Allen Iverson (595,200) and Dwyane Wade (586,679); forwards LeBron James (808,570) and Chris Bosh (304,624) and center Shaquille O'Neal (522,815).

Paper balloting continues through Jan. 15. Online votes can be cast at NBA.com through Jan. 21.

The All-Star starters will be announced Jan. 25. The reserves will be selected by the league's coaches and revealed on Feb. 1.

Horry rests: Robert Horry spent Thursday's game on the inactive list, as expected.

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich wants to rest Horry on the second night of back-to-backs. He held Horry out of Monday's victory over the Los Angeles Clippers.

"The competitive part of you wants to play," Horry said. "But you can understand (Popovich's) logic."

Jackie Butler took Horry's spot on the active roster.

Home sweet home: While the Spurs were forced to fly into New Orleans on Thursday, Popovich and some of the players liked the change.

They would prefer to make some of the shorter trips on the morning of a back-to-back game, but the league makes teams arrive in the town they're visiting the previous night.

"That's some good rest you get when you sleep in your own bed," Horry said.

Cherry
12-15-2006, 11:39 AM
The Los Angeles Lakers' Kobe Bryant (720,365) and Houston's Tracy McGrady (668,130) are first and second among West guards. The Spurs' Manu Ginobili (125,076) and Tony Parker (118,417) are sixth and seventh, respectively.

http://www.nba.com/allstar2007/asb/eng/daily.html

vote now! :ihit

Trainwreck2100
12-15-2006, 11:44 AM
Yes, let's put them in an unnecessary game just for bragging rights.

Cherry
12-15-2006, 11:53 AM
oh... :depressed

no me importa :ihit :spin

TDMVPDPOY
12-15-2006, 12:03 PM
http://www.nba.com/allstar2007/asb/eng/daily.html

vote now! :ihit
i was goin to vote, but seeing battier havin more votes than the next best player then him, justifies me theres no point in voting against the chinese rocket fans :(

Fabbs
12-15-2006, 12:28 PM
Chuck Barkey just visited the New Orleans area and was expounding on the radio. He said its a joke how many houses and neighborhoods are still basically exactly as is since the hurricane hit. He gave 1 million towards building new homes.

He said it irks him how the thinking that since the Saints and Hornets are playing games there this effects somehow means its all fine n dandy in NO. Joe and Suzy Sixpacks biggest need by far is houses. We know what a joke FEMA is.

Anyway I'm sure seeing a game is beneficial to some of the local working populace.

Also i have a question:

The reason we should not expect another flooding of 30 foot below sea level New Orleans is ____?

ducks
12-15-2006, 12:37 PM
you know I would feel sorry for those people because they have no brains
building a center undersea level then putting levies in
then wanting the national goverment to bail them out then they will not
so then they do not put more levies up
do these people have a brain?

ducks
12-15-2006, 12:39 PM
Chuck Barkey just visited the New Orleans area and was expounding on the radio. He said its a joke how many houses and neighborhoods are still basically exactly as is since the hurricane hit. He gave 1 million towards building new homes.

He said it irks him how the thinking that since the Saints and Hornets are playing games there this effects somehow means its all fine n dandy in NO. Joe and Suzy Sixpacks biggest need by far is houses. We know what a joke FEMA is.

Anyway I'm sure seeing a game is beneficial to some of the local working populace.

Also i have a question:

The reason we should not expect another flooding of 30 foot below sea level New Orleans is ____?

fema is a joke they give money to these people and they buy drugs with it or tatoo's
they should give them food and things NOT money so they can waste it