PDA

View Full Version : How does everyone like Elson starting?

Tom_Foolery
12-15-2006, 02:24 AM
Just curious because about 90% of the people on this board were up in arms over the thought of Elson starting. The most common reason: "Elson doesn't know the system and is foul prone because he's not as good of a defender as Oberto".

Do those who were against it feel the same? Or do you have a change of heart now?

Just wondering what the overall consensus is.

ChumpDumper
12-15-2006, 02:24 AM
Up in arms?

RobinsontoDuncan
12-15-2006, 02:25 AM
you seem to have that one very much backwards

Tom_Foolery
12-15-2006, 02:30 AM

do you have a link to the original thread from about a couple weeks ago?(no, not the "why did Elson start over Oberto" thread...that came way after)

ChumpDumper
12-15-2006, 02:32 AM
Do you?

Kori Ellis
12-15-2006, 03:05 AM
If it helps him become a better player for later in the season and the Spurs are still winning, I'm all for it.

Darkwaters
12-15-2006, 03:51 AM
I like the idea of Elson starting. But I've also been impressed with Oberto's increased production compared to last year.

Sense
12-15-2006, 04:43 AM

I agree.. he does have it backwards.

WalterBenitez
12-15-2006, 05:38 AM
NOt sure, still thinking ... If we consider confidence is another issue, probably the POP's idea is to keep him next to TD, TP and Manu on court; thinking on palyoffs.

T-Pain
12-15-2006, 06:35 AM
i like elson starting

Tom_Foolery
12-15-2006, 07:48 AM
i myself originally supported the idea of giving it a try, but then oberto started playing great, which made me reconsider my decision. but now that i look at it, i love the speed that elson brings to the floor and he's improving at a much faster pace than what obero was improving at. yeah, i think i like elson starting more.

z0sa
12-15-2006, 09:27 AM
Oberto's good off the bench because he plays smart, gets offensive rebounds and tapouts, and makes smart passes - while Elson's more of an offensive threat thats good so we can start the game off strong.

MrChug
12-15-2006, 09:33 AM
I like the idea of Elson starting. But I've also been impressed with Oberto's increased production compared to last year.

I agree with this word 4 word. I really think that ultimately that Elson's the real answer. Long, extremely athletic (especially if we're talking about flipin SMALL BALL). His knowledge of defensive sets isn't matched by his effort on each play but I love that anyway. He's good dude...old too, that's why he fits in! :lol

MosesGuthrie
12-15-2006, 09:38 AM
and the Spurs are still winning,

That's it right there. As long as that keeps up, it doesn't matter who starts.

ducks
12-15-2006, 09:39 AM
I liked elsons three blocks last night

ManuTastic
12-15-2006, 09:43 AM
Oberto's good off the bench because he plays smart, gets offensive rebounds and tapouts, and makes smart passes - while Elson's more of an offensive threat thats good so we can start the game off strong.

I think this sums it up. I agree Fabs is a more rounded player, so he's better with the 2nd unit. I think Elson CAN be a better offensive threat when he's a starter, because the defense will focus so much on stopping the Big 3 he should get easy opportunities, which I'm not sure he could manufacture otherwise.
I like Cisco starting and Fabs off the bench. :flag:

SAGambler
12-15-2006, 09:55 AM
On the one hand, if Elson starts, it gives the Spurs more offense to get off and running.

On the other hand, if he comes off the bench, he seems to generate some energy on the floor.

Actually, I think it is six of one, half dozen of the other, on which way it is played.

Either way, as long as Cisco and Berto each bring what they do best night after night, the Spurs are going to be a hard team to beat.

boutons_
12-15-2006, 10:00 AM
This energy and offense off the bench, which seems to pre-occupy so many, is a non-problem if there is sufficient energy and offense from the starters.

Duncanoypi
12-15-2006, 01:55 PM
start the "aircraft"....substitute the "tank"!!!!!

SenorSpur
12-15-2006, 06:53 PM
Love it!

Cant_Be_Faded
12-15-2006, 07:48 PM
Elson was beat off the dribble by Chris Paul and was quick enough to turn around follow Chris Paul and block his shot from behind--that is the quickness that Oberto does not have...if Elson can catch onto where he needs to be, he'll be a much better fit for us than Oberto.

johngateswhiteley
12-15-2006, 08:15 PM
pretty clear to me...Elson starting is better for the team. saw it since game one...

ALVAREZ6
12-16-2006, 12:39 AM
I always thought Elson was better than Oberto, much better. But they both bring different things to the team. Elson should remain the starter.