PDA

View Full Version : Denver trying to seal a deal for A.I.

Spurs06
12-15-2006, 07:29 PM
Denver trying to seal a deal for A.I.
Source: Nuggets "in driver's seat"
By Mark Kiszla and Marc J. Spears
Denver Post Staff Writers
Article Last Updated:12/15/2006 01:23:31 AM MST

Philadelphia 76ers guard Allen Iverson has a career scoring average of 28.1 points per game. (NBAE / Getty Images / Jesse D. Garrabrant)As the front-runner to acquire Allen Iverson from the Philadelphia 76ers, the Nuggets are pushing hard to complete a trade for the 31-year-old point guard as early as today.

According to league sources, the Nuggets are leading the race for Iverson by working aggressively to meet the demands of Philadelphia, which seeks the salary-cap flexibility provided by expiring contracts of veteran players and the draft picks required to rebuild its roster.

With two first-round picks in the 2007 draft, the Nuggets have positioned themselves in "the driver's seat" and are "leading the pack" against league rivals also looking to acquire Iverson, according to a source familiar with negotiations.

It's a complicated trade, however, that would involve at least five players, three teams and two draft choices, plus the approval of Nuggets owner Stan Kroenke and Sixers chairman Ed Snider.

From all indications, Philadelphia is more concerned with financial freedom than the raw ability of the players it receives in return for Iverson and his $17.1 million salary.

Key to completing the deal is Denver's ability to persuade a third team to get involved in the trade, with the Nuggets working on at least two fronts Thursday, holding discussions with Dallas and Portland.

For Philadelphia's purposes, the most desirable trade bait on Denver's roster is Joe Smith, not for his 5.6 scoring average, but because the veteran big man is earning $6.8 million in the final year of his contract.

With the exception of Smith and two draft picks, however, Denver's end of the deal remains fluid, and could include forward Eduardo Najera, according to an NBA source.

To satisfy the 76ers' desire for as many expiring contracts as possible, league sources said Denver has held trade talks with Dallas regarding forward Austin Croshere ($7.3 million salary) and Portland for Jamaal Magloire ($8.4 million), both role players in the final year of what would be considered bad contracts except in this situation.

Frustrated by earlier attempts to pry Magloire from Portland by offering Nene, the Nuggets have heard from other less-than-benevolent potential trade partners, including Chicago. The Bulls, however, had their sights set on center Marcus Camby, whom Denver has no interest in moving.

The hefty financial weight of Nene's new, long-term contract has diminished chances he will be included in the trade.

With the seventh-best record in the Western Conference this season and not so much as a single playoff series won since 1994, Denver is willing to take a chance on Iverson's history of off-court drama to obtain his 28.1 career scoring average and a fierce competitiveness that makes the skinny guard the most intimidating player on the court.

"He's unstoppable," Nuggets forward Carmelo Anthony said of Iverson, currently the top vote-getter among Eastern Conference guards in balloting for the NBA All-Star Game. "That pretty much explains what he can do on the court."

Although guard J.R. Smith's name has been floated in discussions, the Nuggets hope to retain him, sources indicated, because this deal will depend more on the fine print of contracts than talent.

Other reported suitors for Iverson include the Los Angeles Clippers, Minnesota, Boston and Miami. Although Philadelphia has indicated interest in getting a deal done quickly, if the Sixers decide to wait, the list of competitors against Denver could grow. That's why the Nuggets are in a hurry to end the competition.

Staff writer Mark Kiszla can be reached at 303-954-1053 or [email protected].

link (http://www.denverpost.com/nuggets/ci_4843602)

JMarkJohns
12-15-2006, 08:28 PM
I can't see Philly trading Iverson to Denver without getting J.R. Smith in return. It just wouldn't make any sense unless a third team offering similer talent was included.

From everything I've read, that isn't likely, so I'll be surprised if Iverson ends up on the Nuggets.

I think the 76ers keep contacts with teams like Denver and others to keep interest high to milk all they can from Boston. A combination of three of any Jefferson, Green, West, Telfair or Rondo and then Ratliff. Of them, I'd hold out for Jefferson, Green and Rondo, but would settle for Jefferson, Green and West or Telfair.

ducks
12-15-2006, 10:13 PM
why would dallas help nuggets land ai?

JMarkJohns
12-15-2006, 10:23 PM
Probably because they give up Croshere for possibly Nene or Martin. If I was Dallas, I'd do that as well.

ducks
12-15-2006, 10:28 PM
Still, King has a chance to make a last stand on this trade – bringing back expiring contracts, young players and draft picks – to fortify a bid to keep his job. And what comes with it but word that Larry Brown is holding his hand on the trade, serving as a "consultant" to the Sixers.

For goodness sakes, the biggest decision he'll ever make as Philadelphia G.M. and King decides to deliver the message that he isn't strong enough to make it on his own? Brown was responsible for hiring King with the 76ers, and now it looks like he's unsure what to do without him.

"What does he need Larry Brown for?" one league executive wondered Thursday night. "If you're the G.M., do the deal."

king needs to be fired

JMarkJohns
12-15-2006, 10:46 PM
I would agree with King needing to be fired.

I would agree that the 76ers need to get contracts that expire within the next two years, a young player or two and/or a few picks.

Still, I see why Dallas would do it. If they don't give up J.R. Smith, I see why Denver does it. However, I do not see why Philly chooses bums like Joe Smith and Austin Croshere over the Celtics package unless a bevy of 1st-rounders are included, and too be honest, even with a bevy of 1sts, I wouldn't do it over the Celtics offer, because said picks will be 20th on up, rather than lottory.

ponky
12-15-2006, 10:47 PM
Probably because they give up Croshere for possibly Nene or Martin. If I was Dallas, I'd do that as well.

Why would we want Martin? People thought we were going to go after Martin when the Nets looked to trade him but he's a punk with a bad attitude and a bum knee. He's had like two surgeries on that knee in less than two years, useless. Nene? Now that sounds better but I wouldn't want to help Nuggets get AI, it's not worth an extra bench warmer.

ducks
12-15-2006, 11:27 PM
king could have landed boozer this offseason for ai
now who looks like the idiot
KING