PDA

View Full Version : It's Liberation Day as trade season opens

Kori Ellis
12-16-2006, 01:50 AM
It's Liberation Day as trade season opens
By Chris Sheridan
ESPN.com
Archive

It has been nearly six full months now since Vladimir Radmanovic's cell phone rang in Serbia and Kobe Bryant was on the other end, telling him, "We need your shooting."

And since we're now one-quarter of the way through the season, and since Vlade has knocked down only a dozen shots from behind the 3-point arc, we're prepared to say that Kobe is still of the opinion that the Lakers need some shooting -- just not Radmanovic's.

Relief is at hand for the Lakers should they choose to find it, because as of today, the shaggy-haired shooter and the majority of other players who signed as free agents over the summer can now be traded under an NBA rule that sets Dec. 15 as Liberation Day for teams who now realize that what seemed like a good idea over the summer really wasn't.

Radmanovic's role with the Lakers will increase over the next month due to the injury to Lamar Odom, unless Brian Cook can get himself fully healthy and cement a spot in Phil Jackson's rotation, which would free the Lakers to try to move Radmanovic in a trade.

Radmanovic's five-year, $31 million contract cannot be considered the worst free-agent signing of the summer, but it certainly is close. The signing we're dubbing the most dubious of '06 gives us someone to lead our list of 10 players who (along with Radmanovic) become eligible to be traded today.

So we begin with …

1. Nene, Denver Nuggets.
Let's see, he's overweight, he's recovering slooooowly from an ACL injury, and he's earning $60 million under a deal that even Isiah Thomas wouldn't have signed off on. He is one of the main chips being mentioned in Allen Iverson trade talks between the 76ers and Nuggets, but it would have to be a three-team trade because Philadelphia has no interest in being the test tube for another player (see Chris Webber) whose skills were diminished considerably by knee surgery.

2. Marcus Banks, Suns.
We never quite understood why a team with Steve Nash and Leandro Barbosa needed a third wheel in the backcourt. The Suns might not be interested in Iverson, but they do have the kind of package Philly wants -- a young player, Banks, an '08 expiring contract Kurt Thomas, and a No. 1 draft pick or two (the Suns have three: their own, Atlanta's and Cleveland's).

3. Nazr Mohammed, Pistons.
The next time he reaches double figures in rebounding, it'll be the first time in over a month he's done it. The Pistons knew they weren't getting another Ben Wallace when they signed Nazr for the midlevel exception, but they expected more than they're getting. He's serviceable, and his salary is manageable enough that he could be packaged with the next player on our list …

4. Flip Murray, Pistons.
… for someone who might actually help Detroit. LeBron's backcourt mate in Cleveland last postseason has done almost nothing since the first 10 days of the season, making only three 3-pointers over the past 15 games. We might just start referring to Detroit's other Flip as Tony Delk Jr.

5. John Salmons, Kings.
He's posting the best numbers of his career, but he still hasn't been able to match the production of the departed Bonzi Wells, whose place Salmons essentially took after Kevin Martin moved into the starting lineup. Had a breakout game against Golden State three nights ago with 18 points and 10 assists.

6. Darius Songaila, Wizards.
We've always been impressed by Ernie Grunfeld's willingness to trade everybody and anybody, but we challenge him to find a taker for a player who just signed a five-year, $23 million contract, then got injured at the World Championship and had to undergo surgery for a herniated disc. At least he's back practicing.

7. Mike James, Timberwolves.
If Minnesota ends up being the next destination for Iverson, the Wolves are going to have to include a couple of players making James-type money ($5.2 million) along with centerpiece Randy Foye to make the salaries match. He's been playing much better since his back-to-back goose eggs Thanksgiving weekend.

8. David Wesley, Cavs.
Nice guy, was a nice player a couple of years ago, but hasn't done anything for Cleveland and has logged six DNP-CDs in the past eight games. Someone needing a shooter for the playoffs (Utah?) could get him cheap.

9. DeShawn Stevenson, Wizards.
The word on the street over the summer was that Washington got him to sign for the minimum by promising him a starting job. He has been steady but unspectacular, and his contract makes him easy to move if the Wizards want to shake up one of the East's most disappointing teams.

10. Fred Jones, Raptors.
Let's put it this way: Freddie isn't improving Sam Mitchell's job security. Shooting only a hair above 30 percent from 3-point range, he logged a season-low 11 minutes Wednesday against Orlando.

One caveat before we all start declaring Dec. 15 Liberation Day: It isn't for Bonzi Wells and a few others, because collective bargaining rules state a player must wait until Dec. 15 or 90 days from the date he signed -- whichever is longer -- before becoming trade eligible.

In Bonzi's case, that means he can't be divorced from archenemy Jeff Van Gundy until Jan. 2.

Here is a list of other players who will not become trade eligible until later this season:

Atlanta: Cedric Bozeman, Matt Freije, Dec. 29.
Boston: Michael Olowokandi, Jan. 2.
Charlotte: Melvin Ely, Jan. 2.
Chicago: Andre Barrett, Jan. 2.
Denver: DerMarr Johnson, Jan. 15.
Golden State: Matt Barnes, Anthony Roberson, Jan. 2.
Houston: Scott Padgett, Jan. 2.
Milwaukee: Chris McCray, Dec. 22.
New York: Kelvin Cato, Jan. 25.
Philadelphia: Steven Smith, Dec. 26.
Phoenix: Jalen Rose, Feb. 7.
Portland: Ime Udoka, Jan. 2.
Sacramento: Maurice Taylor, Jan. 3.
San Antonio: James White, Feb. 3.
Seattle: Desmon Farmer, Jan. 2; Andreas Glyniadakis, Feb. 5; Mike Wilks, Jan. 2.
Toronto: Darrick Martin; Dec. 27.

Kori Ellis
12-16-2006, 01:51 AM
Chat with Chris Sheridan

Welcome to The Show! On Friday, ESPN.com's NBA reporter Chris Sheridan will chat about the fresh NBA season.

Chris came to ESPN from the Associated Press where he spent the last 10 years as the lead NBA writer.

Sheridan's chat tips off at noon ET on Friday so send in your questions now and join him right here for the answers.

Chris Sheridan: Good afternoon from New York, where I've been paying more attention to my cell phone than to my wife. I imagine Allen Iverson will be the topic of the day, so bring it on ...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Daniel, Monticello New York: Dicks was selling the new spalding ball for $100 dollars. I forget, why did they introduce this hideous thing?

Chris Sheridan: Well, they're cheaper to produce, and they cost 20 bucks more, so you figure it out. By the way, did you catch Gilbert Arenas today saying the switch back to the leather ball will be a "disaster?" And Doc Rivers pointed out that the Celtics play on New Year's Eve and New Year's Day, so they're not even going to have a shootaround with the leather ball. Wonder if the over/under lines in Vegas will be affected for the New Year.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kurt Denver Colorado: Hey Chris, every morning I wake up to talk radio (Jim Armstrong, around the horn)and wait to hear if the nuggs landed AI, when is this going to get done????

Chris Sheridan: As much as people want it to be done, there are obviously a couple other things out there the Sixers are looking at or it would have been done by now. But the talk around the league was pretty strong yesterday that the Nuggets were going to get him.

Jamaal (Trenton): Why are you so down on AI? Players and coaches who have played with or coached him say that basically if he's treated fair, he's good to be around (i.e. not a team cancer). Coach O'Brien went as far as to say that he's one of the few superstars that takes criticism well, as long as it's not done through the media. What gives Chris?

Chris Sheridan: Look, Jammaal, I'm not down on AI. What I am is a realist, and there are realistic problems that come with having AI on your team. His history of late night carousing and making gambling runs to Atlantic City is well-documented, at least in Philly, but the number of practices and shootarounds he missed there is not. So he can be a real headache. But havin said that, I'll also say there's no one who consistently plays as hard or with as much heart as that guy has over the course of his career, and it's been sad to see the heart missing from his game the last year or so. So whoever gets him is getting a gamer.

George(Salt Lake,Utah): Can you please explain to me why Carlos Boozer and Deron Williams aren't even in the top three in allstar votes? This is why I agree with Charles Barkley(something I thought I'd never say)fans should not vote for the allstars cause they vote based on names and performance,I mean how is Shaq ahead of Dwight Howard its ridiculous!

Chris Sheridan: I think the NBA actually likes it that the fan voting is ridiculous, cuz it gets people talkin about the All-Star game two months ahead of time. One of the posts I can see here in the chat room is a long-winded essay on how he's sick of Yao Ming starting every year because he has a billion people voting for him online back in China. I think the NBA might acknowledge the problem a year or so from now when the leading votegetter among all candidates at forward will be Yi Jianlian.

Travis, Canada: Dude, seriously whom do the Raptors turn to next season as head coach, I like Sam Mitchell as my bench coach but not enough skills or knowledge maybe even leadership qualities to lead my club! Who would be intertested or interviewed for the position?

Chris Sheridan: How have you been missing this, Travis? The local Raptors media has been writing Marc Iavaroni's name so much, they can spell it backwards. Bruyan Colangelo isn;t allowed to hire anybody from the Suns until after this season, so Marc is off-limits until then. But he seems to be the replacement in waiting, and Sam is going to have to get these guys into the playoffs _ and probably out of the first round _ to keep his gig. He's in the last year of his contract.

Greg (PA): With Billy King now consulting with Larry Brown on whom the Sixers should make a deal with, do you see this simply as King getting advice from an old friend or is there something more to this?

Chris Sheridan: Philadelphia was one of the few places where Larry didn;t actually burn his bridges when he left. He was there for a long time, and they all got sick of him just like most of his other teams have, but they had an amicable departure that allowed LB to go where he wanted to be at the time, detroit. But even when he was with the Pistons that first year, he would often stop by the Sixers practice facility at PCOM because he was in Philly a lot because his family was still living there during his first year in Detroit. LB has moved his family back there since leaving the Knicks, so it's natural for him to be talking with the Sixers in person and adding his two cents on specific players. I don't make it out to be much more than that, and besides, LB can do what he wants. He got his freedom along with his $18.5 million severance check from Jimmy D..

Torriano Duncan(district heights,MD): Im thinking since Larry Brown is such good friends with George Karl than im expecting him to say something about the Denver Nuggets.

Chris Sheridan: I'm expecting him to do the same thing, but I respect Billy King's intelligence enough to expect him to take anything LB says about Karl's Nuggets with a grain of salt. Billy did go to Duke, you know.

Knox (Tucson, Arizona): Chris, If Portland does not trade Magloire in the AI deal, where do you see Magloire winding up in a trade?

Chris Sheridan: He'll wind up somewhere by the end of february, because he has a big, fat expiring contract, and those are always in big demand at the trade deadline. The biggest of them all this year (now that Jalen Rose took a buyout) is Eddie Jones in Memphis, who makes $15.7 million and comes of the cap after this season. But if the sale of the Grizzlies to Brian Davis and Christian Laettner goes through, they plan to let Eddie come off the cap rather than let Jerry West turn him into a couple of new players.

Chris (Winnipeg): What can the Raptors get for MoPete. He is a streaky shooter and a good perimeter defender, is it possible to get a good young guy and a first round pick?

Chris Sheridan: I think they'd be thrilled to get a first-rounder for him, but that'll be tough unless it's a pick somewhere around 23-30 from a playoff contender looking for an extra piece.

Chris (Miami, Fl): If Brian Davis buys the Grizzlies who do you see being in line for that coaching job, Quin Snyder? Just kidding...

Chris Sheridan: How bout Billy King after the Sixers run him out of there? Or would Billy get Jerry West's job? Only Coach K knows for sure.

James (OH): Did Billy King make a mistake by saying he wanted a quick deal and then everyone called his bluff?

Chris Sheridan: Billy told a couple GMs that he expected to make a quick deal, and I think it made a bunch of them think that he had somethin lined up that he was ready to take. So they held back at first on making serious pitches because they figured it wasn't worth the bother. It's now a week after this thing broke, and there are more teams in the mix today than there were back on Monday when at least half the league expected something to go down.

Adam (Philly): The sixers want Foye, the Wolves NEED AI, whats the problem here...draft picks?

Chris Sheridan: Yes on the draft picks, because Minnesota doesn't have any spare ones (this year's goes to the Clippers as part of the Cassell-Jaric trade), and also because Philly doesn't want to b eighed down by any of the longer contracts _ Hudson, Jaric, Blount, _ that Minny would have to include to make the salaries match.

Adam (Charlotte): Chris, please elaborate on today's blog post: where do you see the charlotte franchise in five years? New ownership? Relocated?

Chris Sheridan: I don't think Bob Johnson is in for the long haul, not from what I've seen so far. He doesn't want to spend money, he keeps firing good employees who know what they're doing, and he won;t have the stomach to pay Okafor, Felton, May and Morrison the money they'll be worth when after they've been in the league for four or five years.

Adam (philly): The wolves gave up a first round pick for Jaric!?!? and they say billy king is the worst GM in basketball.

Chris Sheridan: At least they were smart enough to put some protection on it. If it's among the first 10, they keep it until 2012, when it becomes unprotected.

Kevin (Manassas): I know the Knicks are still the Knicks, but what are your thoughts on Eddy Curry? He has been very impressive this season.

Chris Sheridan: Back when Jeff Van Gundy was coaching the Knicks, he once said "The easiest thing to do in the NBA is score a lot of points for a bad team." To me that seems to be what Eddy is doing, and the Knicks are really forcing things through him on offense. I think you;re going to see more and more teams foul Curry in the low post before he can get off his shot because he's so inconsistent at the foul line. If you watch Eddy shoot FTs closely, you can see why: Even though he has a great stroke, he never stops and a second to look at the rim before he shoots, and so he rushes his FTs. Now that being said, the 20-point streak he's got going is impressive, but he's still too timid under the boards for my liking. Watch Jeff Foster double him up tonight on the glass.

Jon (Los Angeles ): Why did Isiah get rid of J.Rose when cap space is so valuable?

Chris Sheridan: Because Jim Dolan told him he's not making any more deals like the Jalen Rose-Antonio Davis deal and the Steve Francis-Penny Hardaway/Trevor Ariza deals from last season. That's also why they got rid of Mo Taylor and his expiring $9.9 million contract.

Rob (LA): With rumors spreading about Chauncey bolting to the Bucks at the end of the season, why doesn't Detriot try to package him with Delfino and another body to get A.I.?

Chris Sheridan: If that other body was Rasheed Wallace, the Sixers would do it, but Dumars would never do that. Since Chauncey makes only $6.3 and delfino makes 1 mill, the salaries don't come anywhere close to matching.

Jordan (Sandy): Here is one theory for you - The sixers say they want to trade AI and are actively pursuing one but they will not pull the trigger, because they want this team to be so bad that they are guarantedd the first pick in the Oden sweepstakes. What would make that even cooler is if he stays in school for a few more years. It's just my theory because this is taking a really long time to get this done.

Chris Sheridan: Not a bad theory, Jordan, for the following reason: The Sixers have to give Golden State their 2007 first-round pick if it's anywhere from 15-30. If it's 1-15, they not only get to keep it, but they also no longer have the obligation to convey at future No. 1 to Golden State. They only have to give them $1 million instead. So there's definitely an incentive there for the Sixers to tank this season, but I don't think that's going to make them hang onto Iverson through the entire season as you suggest. They still want to get rid of him asap.

RL (NY): When will the situation with Memphis be resolved, and what do you think happens next for them? Adding a high draft pick and a big free agent with their big cap space this coming summer like maybe Chauncey to Pau would be very nice

Chris Sheridan: David Stern was down there a couple nights ago and didn't throw any new cold water on the Brian Davis bid, so I'm not as ready to dismiss it as others are. And if Davis gets the team, he wants to shrink the player payroll, not expand it. And if they made a run at Chauncey, that would expand it.

Ryan (Austin, Texas): Denver more than likely will only have late first round picks for AI....do you not think that late first round picks are nothing but good to average bench players most of the time? I think draft picks are really overrated in the AI deal.....unless you have a very good lottery pick....do you agree?

Chris Sheridan: Well, let's just say that lottery picks have a lot of extra value this year because of the Greg Oden factor, so I don't see the sixers getting a lottery pick back in any deal for Iverson.

Dre (Houston):: do u think allen iverson will get traded to the miami heat? it could be a big shocker.

Chris Sheridan: I think Pat Riley really wants to pull this one off, and he's got one of the best cap guys in the business, Andy Elisburg, to try to find a three- or -four-way trade in which it could happen.

Chris Sheridan: That's all for this afternoon, folks, and we'll chat again a week from now. Got to get back to the cell phone, which has been ringing off the hook during this chat. Everyone have a good weekend.

ponky
12-16-2006, 02:11 AM
LOL, all this talk about AI's late night carousing is hilarious. I've been in Dublin during the Six Nations rugby tourney as well as the World Cups in both Paris and Germany; silly critics of AI's off-court antics haven't seen shit. They ought to spend some time with soccer teams.

exstatic
12-16-2006, 10:25 AM
Chris Sheridan: I don't think Bob Johnson is in for the long haul, not from what I've seen so far. He doesn't want to spend money, he keeps firing good employees who know what they're doing, and he won;t have the stomach to pay Okafor, Felton, May and Morrison the money they'll be worth when after they've been in the league for four or five years.

Hmmm. Okafor is a RFA in '08. Hopefully that dumbass Johnson won't sell by then.

1Parker1
12-16-2006, 10:36 AM
:lol All this AI talk is making my head spin...

IF the Heat were to somehow manage to get AI, that'd be a sick team. Shaq (Even at 70%) + backcourt of Wade+ AI with Riley as coach....