PDA

View Full Version : Fun with scammers

Summers
12-16-2006, 02:32 PM
I manage a small number of apartments here in San Marcos, as I've mentioned before. So, here's what they do. They email you about your ad in the paper or in craig's list and always, for some reason, claim to be in the UK and moving to my town to continue their philanthropic work or audition for a film or transfer their business or whatever. Just give them the total move-in cost and they will have their friend/financier mail a check. Oh, and, by the way, the furniture company can only deliver the day before they get here, so the check is made out to me, the manager, and I'm supposed to cash it and use the money to cover all of their move-in costs and pay the furniture delivery guys and mail the remainder to them. Except the check isn't real, of course, and if you're unlucky enough to not know about this scam and actually cash a fake check, you get personally defrauded of a few thousand dollars.

Pretty clever scam a couple summers ago, but now they're so prolific and brazen, and, frankly, sloppy, I'm beginning to find their letters humorous. So, I've started emailing back. Sometimes, I'm in a pissy mood when I open the email so I simply respond, "Go away!". Sometimes, I feel silly and write things like this:

Hi Malisa,

You sound great. I can tell from your letter, you’re also very smart. Please tell me, is it a room or an apartment you’re interested in? Will you have a pet? How big is your bed, because the room for rent has unusual dimensions. Do you mind living next to undocumented, illegal immigrants? Are you scared of roaches? I don’t need to contact your boss as we don’t do background checks, although come to think of it, I probably could’ve avoided cleaning up the blood stains from the last tenant if I’d just made a few phone calls. All your questions can be answered in my craig’s list ad, which meticulously describes the unit for rent and all the move-in requirements. Do you have any questions that aren’t answered in the ad?

Most sincerely,

The management

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Saturday, December 16, 2006 12:38 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: I Need A Place!!!

Hello,
how are u doing? hope fine? if so,i appreciate it so much. I saw your Advert that u have a room/apt. to be sub-leased. am interested in renting the room/apt. It suits the type of place i need for my comfort and work. Am a lady of 28 yrs old and a British. I was born and brought up in London. I lived all my life there.
Am a medical practisional, a doctor to be precised but presently in West Africa (Nigeria) for a program which will be ending soon. i and the rest of my collegues will be coming to U.S.A (United State of America) for another program (HIV/AIDS seminal) which will last for 1 or 2 months. we'll be there to educate and give the people some medical diagnosis on HIV/AIDS.
I will like to lease the room/apt for the period which i will be there for the program cos it prefer staying there than staying in a motel.
below is the question you might require of me
Name:-Malisa Gregory
Sex :-Female
Citizenship:- UK
Place of Birth:-Wood Green
my contact number........234-8033766271
Educational Qualification:-MD(HIV/AIDS DOCTOR)
Institution:-National University
Religion:- Catholic
Marital Status:-Single
Cleanliness:- Very clean
Hobbies:-Dancing,Movies,Concerts,Soccer,Traveling
Nature:-Great sense of humor,easy going and very out
going Drinking/Drugs/Smoking:-Social Drinker don't do
drugs nor smoke

Contact Information of BOSS:
NAME OF BOSS:- FLETCHER MAC JAMES
ADDRESS OF BOSS IN UK:-
7294 KENWOOD AVENUE
MANCHESTER CITY,LONDON,
ENGLAND, UK
pls response by mailing me and
tell me if the room/apt is still
available. and i will need to know about the room.
1. the amount you charge per month?
2. location of the place?
3. deposit amount?
4 total amount for 2 months
tell me more
about the place. I cant wait to read from u soon.
thanking u in anticipation.please i will need the
room if available , and dont hesitate to reply to my mail.
Malisa Gregory

jman3000
12-16-2006, 04:15 PM
she's of 28 years old and a british? sweet.

ObiwanGinobili
12-16-2006, 07:50 PM
I love how she was born and raised in England. And can't "speak" proper english. Barely coherrant english even.

SpursWoman
12-17-2006, 11:37 AM
The do this when you post something for sale on mysa.com, too.

Great response. :lol

Summers
12-18-2006, 07:43 AM
Oh my gosh! There's more. I thought my response sounded fairly sarcastic, but I got this email (obviously a stock answer) this morning:

Hello,
Thanks so much for your prompt response.I
will be so glad if you could list the available apts
to give you my budget or help me to secure a
betterapts.I am very happy for your reply that shows
the kind of person i am thinking of renting from how
kind he his...For the payment that is not a problem at all...Because my boss will be highly responsible for all the espanses of the payment all i have to do is to confirm the amount of the room including the utilities and then get it sent to him including the informations in which the payment will be issued to. I will like to make 2 months upfront payment for you to hold the place for me. So all i require of you is for you to send me your full name and address including your phone number so that i can forward it to my boss because my boss will be paying you in advance bacause of my flight and some other things so all you have to do is that as soon as you receive the check you will deduct your rent fee and the utilities from it and then get back the rest to my flight manager so that my ticket can be booked... , am sure you will understane all this, waiting to hear from you, so i will want all this informations for quick payment as soon as posible.. Thanks and have a good time. Warmest Regards

RENTAL APPLICATION
ApplicantName: Malisa Gregory

Present Address: 12 pelewura Crescent,
Victoria Island,
Lagos, Nigeria

Telephone/e-mail: [email protected]

hotel Phone #: 234-8033766271
(Suite012) Hilton
Plans Hotels

DOB March 04, 1980

Social Security#
Driver's license Need to Apply for a new D/L

Applicant's employer: SABRE RESERVISTS IN
HUMANITARIAN ROLES IN UK
Address: SaBRE Floor 1, Zone D St Georges
Court 2-12
Bloomsbury Way
London WC1A 2SH

I will try to attach my national identity or passport
and email it to you later today

Malisa Gregory

missmyzte
12-18-2006, 07:46 AM
Classic ... I wonder how many times it works when they do this? Obviously not working with you, but they must be able to scam someone if they keep doing it.