PDA

View Full Version : Mike Monroe : Spurs' Finley regains his shooting touch

Bruno
12-17-2006, 05:36 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA121706.11C.BKNspurs.finley.36e1014.html

Web Posted: 12/17/2006 02:04 AM CST
Mike Monroe
Express-News

Michael Finley had made only 6 of 24 shots in the four games that preceded the Spurs' 103-98 victory over the Philadelphia 76ers on Saturday at the AT&T Center.

His shooting going into the game was a career-low 34.1 percent; his success from 3-point range a dismal 26.3 percent, also a career low for a player whose 11 previous NBA seasons stamped him as one of the league's best shooters.

After Finley's 6-for-10, 14-point performance in nearly 26 minutes against Philadelphia it seemed fair to ask: Who was that guy wearing that No. 4 Spurs' uniform?

"Same guy," Finley said. "Same shots, too. All my shots, even in the past, have felt good. It's just they wouldn't go down."

Finley never has averaged fewer than 10.1 points in a season, but entered Saturday's game with an average of just 7.0. It has been one of the toughest stretches of his career.

"Oh, yeah, by any stretch of the imagination it's been tough," Finley said. "But the factor that makes it good is that we're winning. That heals any slump. Winning heals all wounds. If we were losing it would be even more of a slump."

Finley said he got himself untracked Saturday by focusing on every aspect of the game but shooting. After replacing Bruce Bowen with 2:09 left in the first quarter, he played more than nine minutes without taking a shot. His first shot, a jumper just inside the 3-point arc, was perfect. By game's end he even was 2 of 5 on 3-point attempts.

"He's a big part of what we do," Spurs' coach Gregg Popovich said. "He and Brent (Barry) have to make those shots out there because of the double teams and attention that Timmy (Duncan) gets. It was nice to see Michael feel more at ease and knock some down tonight."

Finley did more than find his shooting stroke against an undermanned 76ers team that pushed the Spurs right to the finish, looking anything but dispirited because they were playing their sixth-straight game without deactivated scoring leader Allen Iverson.

"People always want to just talk about Michael's scoring," said Barry, whose league-leading 3-point shooting has contributed to the truncation of Finley's court time during his shooting slump. "There's things that guys who play alongside Tony (Parker), Manu (Ginobili) and Tim can do, little things. Sometimes you don't see those things unless you're either a player on that team or an opposing player. They're the little things that get you victories."

Finley said Popovich had advised him to get his offense untracked by focusing on rebounding and passing, rather than shooting.

"He told me to let other parts of the game get me going offensively, whether it's rebounding, defending or just getting knocked around a little bit," Finley said. "I just came into the game and whatever happens, happens."

TDMVPDPOY
12-17-2006, 06:48 AM
still too early to speak.....i want more consistent action...

Borosai
12-17-2006, 07:19 AM
I can shoot with both hands.

1Parker1
12-17-2006, 10:21 AM
I think Finley will return to normal once we get the old NBA balls back :lol

wildbill2u
12-17-2006, 11:08 AM
:grim: Even a blind hog finds an acorn now and then. One game is not a season.

:toast but here's to Finley if he's gotten the wobblies out of his shooting touch. Maybe the prospect of the old ball coming back gave him some confidence or maybe Pop's advice--quit shooting and let the game come to you--was right.

Whatever, we need him doing well for the rest of the season to give us another knock out punch from outside. :ihit

With everyone healthy and performing well, we can win this championship.:hungry:

jn77
12-17-2006, 04:06 PM
I think Finley will return to normal once we get the old NBA balls back :lol

So you are saying that once the NBA gets it's balls back, so will Fin :lol

phxspurfan
12-17-2006, 09:32 PM
finley is done...

The Truth #6
12-18-2006, 03:16 AM
This article seems more intended for Finley's flailing confidence than for the fans. For the first time in forever he shoots one shot over 50% and he's back on track? More and more, I feel like these Express articles are Spurs PR vehicles. "Vaughn Gives Defensive Presence" - i.e. Beno better play defense or he won't play, etc...

I understand being positive but its hard for me to get anything out of reading these articles. I suppose winning dulls us all into boredom until the playoffs. I hate to think that because the wheels can easily fall off anytime. Nothing is guaranteed. Whatever, this all part of the grand culture of winning.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
12-18-2006, 04:01 AM
This article seems more intended for Finley's flailing confidence than for the fans. For the first time in forever he shoots one shot over 50% and he's back on track? More and more, I feel like these Express articles are Spurs PR vehicles. "Vaughn Gives Defensive Presence" - i.e. Beno better play defense or he won't play, etc...

I understand being positive but its hard for me to get anything out of reading these articles. I suppose winning dulls us all into boredom until the playoffs. I hate to think that because the wheels can easily fall off anytime. Nothing is guaranteed. Whatever, this all part of the grand culture of winning.
Yeah, I laughed at the Vaughn headline, and this Finley thing...

Right AFTER he has ONE decent shooting game? Give me a break.

ChumpDumper
12-18-2006, 04:41 AM
What are they supposed to say?

Finley's Good Shooting a Suspicious Fluke

Spurs Hold Best Record in NBA; Begin Run for Oden

Spurs Will Always See Derek Anderson as One That Got Away

Popvich Declares Season Over as Matt Barnes Scores Ten Points for Golden State

Spurs Fail to Draft Ben Wallace in 1996, Franchise Never Recovers

Parker for Payton: What Might Have Been

Tyrone Nesby Leads Las Vegas Venom to 2-4 Mark in ABA; Spurs Initiate Merger Talks

When the Spurs REALLY suck, please remember how much you guys bitched now.

MannyIsGod
12-18-2006, 05:06 AM
When the Spurs REALLY suck, please remember how much you guys bitched now.HA. Do you expect half of these bandwagon fuckers to be around when the Spurs go through their next sub 40 win season?

At some point this season, Finley will be back to normal. BOOK IT.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
12-18-2006, 06:01 AM

Tyrone Nesby Leads Las Vegas Venom to 2-4 Mark in ABA; Spurs Initiate Merger Talks

just saying that some articles (such as this) indicate a slow news day for the Spurs.

I never saw Finley as having more than a shooting slump, as long as he starts shooting consistently eventually, I don't really care. It's not affecting our wins too much.

Differentiate between bitching, and not taking the damn Spurs players so seriously in December, it's not a form of cliffjumping if we shed light on a player's poor performance and laugh a couple times at an airball and his clanks when watching a game.

Bruno
12-18-2006, 06:23 AM
Finley in December :
9 games
8.4 ppg (41.2 FG%, 31.8 3P%, 92.9 FT%)
2.9 rebounds
in 22.1 minutes.

That's not great stats and Finley has had some horrible games but that's not that bad too. Finley doesn't deserve so much hate.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
12-18-2006, 08:30 AM
I don't see it as hate. Finley came up big against the Mavs during the playoffs. I expect him to show a lot of heart again. I'm not really worried about him.

Although I don't think he's pulling a Robert Horry, he's making an effort, his shots just haven't been falling --and how. Those stats show a definite drop from his past seasons, however as far Finley's abilities go. I think his legs don't have as much spring, but he'll rebound and adjust his shooting game.

MannyIsGod
12-18-2006, 09:27 AM
just saying that some articles (such as this) indicate a slow news day for the Spurs.

I never saw Finley as having more than a shooting slump, as long as he starts shooting consistently eventually, I don't really care. It's not affecting our wins too much.

Differentiate between bitching, and not taking the damn Spurs players so seriously in December, it's not a form of cliffjumping if we shed light on a player's poor performance and laugh a couple times at an airball and his clanks when watching a game.The EN has always been a Spurs mouthpiece. Thats nothing new.

ducks
12-18-2006, 09:30 AM
spurs have 3 days off not much to talk about

The Truth #6
12-18-2006, 10:06 AM

That's hilarious. As if anyone suggested your version of hyperbole.

MannyIsGod
12-20-2006, 11:39 PM
bump

ChumpDumper
12-20-2006, 11:40 PM
Spurs Dodge Motherfucking Atkins Avalanche

Fabbs
12-21-2006, 12:13 AM

Differentiate between bitching, and not taking the damn Spurs players so seriously in December, it's not a form of cliffjumping if we shed light on a player's poor performance and laugh a couple times at an airball and his clanks when watching a game.
:clap

TPark, Chump and Manny Very Aroused Over Fins Night

MannyIsGod
12-21-2006, 12:19 AM
Finley is averaging 2 more PPG in December and he's shooting 10 percent better. He's coming along, hopefully he continues to improve. Those were before tonight, so I'm sure he's improved them even more.