PDA

View Full Version : Emmitt Smith is approaching another milestone -- 18,000 career yards rushing.

Louae
11-05-2004, 05:38 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1916414

You gotta hand to the old man, he still has a little bit of gas left in the gas tank. At least he has more gas than Eddie George. The man is averaging 4.0 yards/carry and is on pace to break 1,000 yards this season at the old man age of 35. And behind a makeshift Cardinals offensive line. I hope he gets the 1,000 yards for the season and decides to retire. Unfortunately, I remember him saying he wouldn't retire until he got to 20,000 career yards. I hope not, I don't think he'll even have the chance to make it. If he does, he'd have to do it in two more seasons after this. That is unless he's planning on have a couple of 1,500 yard seasons. NOT.

And speaking of Eddie George, why is he still getting the majority of carries. I've been patiently awaiting some more carries to Rashard Lee. This guy hasn't even had the opportunity to show us what he has. And when he has, only good things have happened. What's the deal with Parcells on this subject?

samikeyp
11-05-2004, 06:29 PM
I think the Tuna is being way to conservative. Why not give Lee a shot? Hell even do what Pittsburgh does with Duce and Bus.....let Lee run up to the goal line and let George punch it in. Eddie did run better against the Lions though. About time.

pooh
11-05-2004, 06:31 PM
letting go of emmitt has been the tuna's biggest mistake since taking over the Cowboys.

Louae
11-08-2004, 11:40 AM
I think the Tuna is being way to conservative. Why not give Lee a shot? Hell even do what Pittsburgh does with Duce and Bus.....let Lee run up to the goal line and let George punch it in. Eddie did run better against the Lions though. About time.

I couldn't agree with you more. Rashard needs a chance. There is no telling what this kid has. At the very least, he's the best running back we have in our backfield. He definately needs to get more carries. I guarantee you Eddie George wouldn't have gotten the yards Rashard got at the end of the Bengal blowout.

Louae
11-08-2004, 12:41 PM
letting go of emmitt has been the tuna's biggest mistake since taking over the Cowboys.

I wouldn't say releasing Emmitt was a huge mistake. Sure we could've used his running right now. At the very least, it wouldn've been nice to get a few great games from the old man but his salary would've been a huge negative. Even if he signed for the minimum, his contract would've been an albatross. Of all the things I have to complain about. Letting Smith go wasn't one of them. His salary was that much of a detriment.

What's really killed parcells are the following:
1) I never thought I'd say this but replacing Ebenezer Ekuban with Marcellus Wiley in the offseason. As little as Ekuban gave us during his time with the Silver and Blue, Wiley has managed to give us even less and we are paying him more money to accomplish less. HUGE MISTAKE.

2) Another mistake was letting Mario Edwards go in free agency without getting an adequate backup to replace him. Just the loss of Edwards placed our secondary on a very thin status. One injury and we were in deep trouble. After all, it's not like Edwards was gonna cost us top notch money. We should've signed him up and locked up our secondary with Newman, Edwards, Hunter and a young guy to develop at the CB spot. Now, all we have is Newman and a couple of rookies to start on the other side. Truely pathetic. BIG MISTAKE.

3) Signing Eddie George. Man, I never thought I'd say this but this is a mistake b/c of Parcell's refusal to play Rashard Lee. It's obvious in my eyes who should be starting at tailback and George isn't that man. I went to the Lions - Cowboys game and I was thoroughly frustrated at seeing runs that should've went for 15 & 20 yards going for 7 yards with George. Eddie had his best game against the Lions and I was totally upset. Imagine that. Eddie best days are certainly behind him. It's time to get Lee a chance to show us what he can do. I think there is a future with him but I'll never know if we never give him some carries.

4) Trading Antonio Bryant. This is something that really ticked me off. Especially since this kid was really all we had in terms of going downfield. Trading him has really hurt us these past two games. Especially with the loss of Terry Glen. If Bryant was still with the team, he would've shined in the place of Terry Glen. Now, we'll never know b/c this kid will be playing elsewhere and we'll have to hope one of the youngsters can do something. After two games, I'm still waiting. BIG MISTAKE.

Things that hurt parcells which were out his control.
1) Willie Blade turning to shit. This guy was huge in being so good at stopping the run last year. There is no way we could've imagined this guy was gonna turn to complete dog shit after doing so well the season before. Right from the get-go, our defense was hurt with him making this horrible decision for himself. We still have not been able to replace him.

2) Darren Woodson getting injured. With the loss of woodson and the lack of an adequate backup, we lost the big play potential of Roy Williams. Having Williams near the line of scrimmage is paramount in our defense creating turnovers. Now, with woodson out and the lack of adequate saftey play on the other side, Williams is forced to be taken away from his big play potential.

3) Pete Hunter going down. It looked like Pete was doing well in his first few games. It's too bad we had to lose him. His loss really made Parcells pay for his mistake to resign Mario Edwards in the offseason.

4) Terry Glenn going down. His loss just exposed the huge mistake of trading Antonio Bryant. Now, with our receiving corp depleted and only Meshawn Johnson as our only threat, it's safe to say that we are in deep trouble in the passing game.

Again, I really wish we could've done things differently. It hurts to lose games like this but I really wish we could develop some players now that the season is over. We need to get Henson some snaps at QB and get Rashard Lee some carries. When Julius Jones comes back, we need to get him some carries. I think Eddie George needs to be put on the shelf. It's important that we find out about these unknowns b/c when the draft comes around next season, we will have two high draft picks (assuming Buffalo starts to lose again, I'm not happy they've been winning all these games lately).

Right now, we need a pass rusher like plants need the sunlight. Cedric Benson will be coming out this offseason and it's possible that we could get him. He should drop to us b/c his speed or lack there of will guarantee us the opportunity to draft him. I wouldn't mind having him if we can get him but only if we know we need a running back. I really like Rashard Lee that much. I'm not so sure about Julius Jones. Again, there's something I'm not sure about him. Although his durability has to raise a larger question mark.

With the trade of Antonio Bryant, we also need a WR for the future. Meshawn isn't gonna cut it. We already have a great TE so we need a WR complement even though I think we could get a suitable one in the second round. Of course, only great ones comes in the first round.

But the most important thing we need is a pass rusher. There is no denying that shit. Anyway, I'm just rambling on at this point. Time for me to shut up.

samikeyp
11-08-2004, 07:26 PM
Cedric Benson will be coming out this offseason and it's possible that we could get him.

sadly, I don't think JJ will do that. He and Tuna are so high on Julius Jones. I miss Antonio Bryant big time right now.

Louae
11-09-2004, 03:38 AM
sadly, I don't think JJ will do that. He and Tuna are so high on Julius Jones. I miss Antonio Bryant big time right now.

I'm afraid you may be right. I'm not really sold on Julius Jones. I like Rashard Lee more than Julius Jones. And if Benson was available, there is no way I'd pass him up.

And I feel you on Antonio Bryant. I miss him as well.