PDA

View Full Version : Johnny Ludden : Spurs finally get break

Bruno
12-18-2006, 06:16 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA121806.5D.BKN.spurs.2f19966.html

Web Posted: 12/18/2006 01:16 AM CST
Johnny Ludden
Express-News

The Spurs have played 25 games in 45 days, endured seven back-to-backs and spent more time on the road than at home. Having just finished another stretch of five games in seven nights, they awoke Sunday happy to find themselves not only in their own beds, but also atop the NBA.

The Spurs haven't run off 14 consecutive victories like the surging Phoenix Suns; their longest winning streak this season is a modest five games. But they've won often enough to own a league-best 19-6 record through Sunday.

"We've had a really tough schedule travel-wise and somebody told me we're the oldest team in the league," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said. "So I think the guys have weathered that pretty well."

Beginning with Saturday's victory over Philadelphia, the Spurs end the month with six of their seven games at home. They don't play again until Wednesday, when Memphis visits the AT&T Center.

So, in addition to getting a chance to recover — they took Sunday off — they'll also have the opportunity to practice.

"We are a team that needs that," Manu Ginobili said. "When we play so often, for long stretches, we really need to go back to the basics and have a nice scrimmage.

"That's where we make another step forward."

The Spurs are averaging 100.2 points — their most since the 1995-96 season — while allowing 90.3 per game, the second-fewest in the league. But those stats have been inflated over the past week in part because the team has taken advantage of a few injury-stricken opponents.

After winning six of their previous seven games by an average of 25 points, the Spurs showed some signs of fatigue Saturday. They built a 17-point lead against Philadelphia in the third quarter, but then had to rally in the closing minutes to win.

As a result, the team is looking forward to returning to its practice facility today.

"Just to have the opportunity to be on the practice court — not necessarily going hard, but getting some reps with different lineups — is important for any team," Michael Finley said. "This home stretch hopefully could be very beneficial for us."

joeyjfive
12-18-2006, 07:09 AM
Its about time, in my opinion the Spurs needed this rest very badly.

VaSpursFan
12-18-2006, 10:59 AM
man i am so thankful for this stretch at home. we can work out a couple of kinks and really start to drop the hammer on teams!!!

phxspurfan
12-19-2006, 12:51 AM
pre allstar break games mean nothing. Spurs just need to keep doing what theyre doing and stay healthy. I'm glad they're getting more confident, though...