PDA

View Full Version : Berkman tears acl playing flag football

atlfan25
11-05-2004, 07:49 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1916993

Associated Press

HOUSTON -- Houston Astros outfielder Lance Berkman tore the anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee playing flag football and will undergo surgery within the next 10 days, the team said Friday.

The Astros said it will take Berkman between five and six months to recover although Berkman told the club he hoped to be ready for opening day 2005.

The injury occurred recently during a church-related function Berkman attended, said Tim Purpura, the Astros' new general manager.

Berkman, a three-time National League All-Star, batted .316 this season with 30 home runs and 106 RBI in 160 games. He became the first outfielder to have three 30-homer seasons with the Astros.

Berkman made his major league debut in 1999 after he was Houston's first-round pick in the June 1997 draft. He has a career average of .303 with 156 home runs and 535 RBI in 775 games.
-------------------------------------------------------

bad break for the stros. just a few days ago rocco baldelli tore his acl(he just had surgery) playing ball with his 6 year old brother. its weird these 2 freak injuries similar to aaron boone last year. hopefully he wont miss but maybe the first month of the season, but it could hinder his play throughout the year b4 he is his old self again

Drachen
11-05-2004, 10:47 PM
this suck-diddly-ucks, I like berkman, good ol' texas boy.

2pac
11-06-2004, 01:24 PM
Berkman grew up in New Braunfels and went to church in SA at Oak Hills.

GrandeDavid
11-12-2004, 07:02 PM
According to many, Beltran will be a Cub, Yankee or BoSock in due time, Clemens is probably about to retire, Hunsicker has resigned...and now this. I love the Astros, but about all I have to say about this offseason now is:

:shootme