PDA

View Full Version : Spurs Mailbag: On jersey colors and conspiracy theories

TMTTRIO
12-19-2006, 01:03 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA121806.WEBspursmailbag.en.1ff42ed9.html

Spurs Mailbag: On jersey colors and conspiracy theories (though not at the same time)

Web Posted: 12/18/2006 03:16 PM CST

Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

We have an unusually large number of good questions this week, so we're going to forgo our standard opening (which typically is about 240 words of mindless drivel) and proceed directly to the mail.

One note of caution: As the form for submitting queries mentions, we are soliciting questions ABOUT the Spurs. Not FOR them.

So, no, I cannot arrange a visit by Tim Duncan to your fourth-grade class. Nor can I get Manu Ginobili to autograph a poster for your 15-year-old niece.

And the next person who writes, "Stay focused. Remember who you are. Win it all," I promise to publicly humiliate.

Are the Spurs ever going to have alternate road jerseys? The Spurs should have new updated silver uniforms. I know they are doing the retro jerseys this year. I'm currently stationed in San Angelo and I'm not the only Spurs fan here who thinks they should have new alternate uniforms.
– Jason Cuevas, San Antonio

Do you actually trust the same team that incorporated pastel colors into its logo to produce an alternate jersey? I don't.

Here are the four most important decisions the Spurs have ever made:

1. Signing George Gervin. Without him, there would be no Spurs.

2. Drafting David Robinson. Not only did David help win two championships and retire as the franchise's most popular player ever, had he not broken his foot in 1996, the Spurs would have never been able to make their third-best decision ...

3. Drafting Tim Duncan. He will retire as the greatest player in franchise history and possibly the greatest power forward of all-time.

4. Doing away with those hideous Fiesta colors.

And here's the thing: No. 4 wasn't even a unanimous decision. The players didn't like the pastel colors, the majority of fans didn't like the pastel colors and the basketball ops people still had to lobby long and hard before other team officials relented and agreed to go back to the original black-and-silver logo.

So, no, I don't think the Spurs need an alternate jersey. Even their silver retro uniforms have caused problems. The one time the Spurs wore them this season they had trouble keeping the jersey tucked in and their shorts pulled up.

Here's one more reason to vote against alternate uniforms: Check out what the Washington Wizards have been wearing on the road.

I was reviewing the standings and I noticed that the Lakers have played 20 games to date, with 15 at home. Most teams, at this point in the season, are at somewhere near a 50/50 ratio in home-to-away games. I know it evens up by the end of the year, but teams gain confidence by winning. Is this an NBA conspiracy to inflate the Lakers' early season record?
– Steve Feinstein, San Antonio

The Lakers actually played 16 of their first 20 at home because one of the games was against the Clippers, who also play at Staples Center. But, hey, who's counting?

I'm not one to believe in conspiracy theories. But a couple of years ago NBA commissioner David Stern was asked on a radio show who he would most like to see in the Finals. His answer: Lakers versus Lakers.

If David is stupid enough to say something like that publicly then he opens himself up to these types of questions.

I'll say this: While the Lakers have certainly benefited from their favorable schedule, they're going to be a force this season no matter where they play. Their biggest concern now is surviving without Lamar Odom for the next few weeks.

Why hasn't Pop seen what a lot of us Spurs fans have been seeing? A "true" point guard should have more assists than shots attempted. Hey, Tony, share the ball!
– Josie, Lytle

Something tells me that if Josie were in charge of balloting for the Basketball Hall of Fame, only one point guard in the sport's history would be inducted: John Stockton.

I took Josie's standard for determining a "true" point guard and applied it to 10 players widely considered among the greatest points to ever play: Magic Johnson, Oscar Robertson, Steve Nash, Isiah Thomas, Stockton, Bob Cousy, Jason Kidd, Walt Frazier, Tiny Archibald and Gary Payton.

Of the 10, only Stockton routinely had more assists than shots attempted. And I tend to think that if Stockton had been blessed with Tony Parker's quickness, we would have seen those too-short shorts zipping to the basket a little more often.

So, once again: Does Tony sometimes shoot too much? Yes. But making him a full-time distributor would deprive him – and the team – of his greatest skill.

The key for Tony is to find a balance between his roles as scorer and creator. So far, he looks like he's making strides in that direction. In nine games this month, he's averaging 7.8 assists.

Do you prefer Manu starting or coming off the bench?
– Thiago Landulfo, So Paulo, Brazil

I like Manu starting. In fact, I would prefer he play all 48 minutes. (Stop me if I'm starting to sound like Buck.)

But if the Spurs did decide to make him a full-time reserve, the NBA could retire its Sixth Man award. Manu is the type of high-energy, ball-hawking, game-changing force every coach would love to bring off his bench. That's why Pop has sometimes brought him off the bench for certain matchups during the playoffs.

In my humble opinion, however, Manu is simply too good not to be a regular starter. You usually want your best players matching up with the opponent's best players – and that's what he is.

I read in your mailbag answers that you think Manu makes the biggest plays in the clutch??!! I have been a Spurs fan since Nov. 7, 1991, (the day Magic Johnson retired), and have never missed an entire basketball game in that time period. As far as I can see, Manu makes big plays off and on during quarters one through three, but late in the fourth he's not the one you want taking the final shot.

The only big play he's made in the clutch was fouling Dirk – which was only a "big play" for Dallas! Manu is a very good player, but "clutch" he is not. What clutch performances were you referring to?
– Barry, San Antonio

Remember the old "Saturday Night Live" skit about Mr. Short-term Memory? Well, I think we found him.

Barry here says the only big play Manu has made in the clutch was the foul he committed against Dirk Nowitzki near the end of regulation in Game 7 of last season's Western Conference semifinals series.

Well, for starters, let's think back to, oh, 10 seconds before that foul. Manu drilled a 3-pointer to cap a 20-point comeback and give the Spurs the lead. In some books that would be considered "clutch."

Then there was the drive and pass he made to give Tim Duncan a layup that closed out the Spurs' second-round series against Seattle in 2005.

How about the first-round series against Denver that same year? Pick any of the final four games and you're sure to find several big, late-moment plays by Manu.

Manu's steal against Richard Jefferson in Game 6 of the 2003 NBA Finals helped trigger the flurry that launched the Spurs to the championship.

My personal favorite? Game 5 of the 2005 NBA Finals. With a double-team collapsing on him in the corner in Detroit, Manu threaded a pass to Robert Horry for the winning 3-pointer.

If that's too far back to remember, take a look at Saturday's victory over Philadelphia. The Sixers erased a 17-point deficit to take the lead. Manu answered by scoring the Spurs' final eight points.

This is the question I was asked that prompted this e-mail: "Who do I currently think is most indispensable for the Spurs among Tony, Manu and Tim?"

I answered Tim, but I also said I thought Tony has improved each year and has the longer career left in front of him compared to the other two. And I said I thought Manu makes the biggest clutch plays of the three.

I didn't say shots. I said plays. And, to me, being clutch doesn't always mean making a shot. It's making a game-changing play in a pressure situation.

Because of the position he plays, Tim usually has to rely on someone to get him the ball in a final-possession situation. And for the last two, three years Manu has usually been the guy that begins those possessions with the ball in his hands.

Has Manu always come through? No. His turnover at the end of Game 3 of last season's first-round series against Sacramento was a huge mistake. His foul against Dirk also wasn't a smart play.

But the same reason Manu thought he could block Dirk's shot is the same reason why he buried the 3-pointer seconds earlier. On most nights, he seems to thrive on pressure.

Or as Pop said Saturday after witnessing Manu's latest heroics: "He just wills wins at times."

What exactly is defensive three seconds and is it really a technical foul?
– Joe Zotz, San Antonio

Yes, it's a technical – but a team technical. Which means if a player is called for a defensive three seconds violation and later gets a technical for yelling at a referee, he's credited with only one T and won't be ejected.

Defensive three seconds is actually a little easier to understand than the old illegal defense rule. Here's how it's explained in the NBA rulebook:

a. The count starts when the offensive team is in control of the ball in the frontcourt.

b. Any defensive player, who is positioned in the 16-foot lane or the area extending 4 feet past the lane endline, must be actively guarding an opponent within three seconds. Actively guarding means being within arms length of an offensive player and in a guarding position.

c. Any defensive player may play any offensive player. The defenders may double-team any player.

d. The defensive three-second count is suspended when: (1) there is a field goal attempt, (2) there is a loss of team control, (3) the defender is actively guarding an opponent or (4) the defender completely clears the 16-foot lane.

e. If the defender is guarding the player with the ball, he may be located in the 16-foot lane. This defender is not required to be in an actively guarding/arms distance position. If another defender actively guards the player with the ball, the original defender must actively guard an opponent or exit the 16-foot lane. Once the offensive player passes the ball, the defender must actively guard an opponent or exit the 16-foot lane.

Penalty: A technical foul shall be assessed. The offensive team retains possession at the free-throw line extended. The shot clock shall remain the same as when play was interrupted or reset to 14 seconds, whichever is greater.

I'm a very hardcore Spurs fan and I know that we have a very good scouting management upfront, but I'm concerned about the future. Duncan is getting older and has a few more years in his prime left. I'm wondering if you think the Spurs could fill his presence and leadership with another big man in the future? Would it be the same? And do you see any out there?
– John Gill, San Antonio

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say no. Unless the Spurs go in the tank this season, win the lottery and convince Greg Oden to leave Ohio State, they aren't going to get another big man that can measure up to Tim.

Tim is a once-in-a-lifetime player, which is why Pop has said he's retiring about 30 seconds after Tim leaves. And Pop won't be the only one. Tony Parker – the only player whose contract ends after Tim's – recently joked with Tim that he better let him know when he's retiring because he's planning on following him out the door.

Even the beat writer intends to hang it up when Tim is done. Face it: We're all frontrunners.

ShoogarBear
12-19-2006, 04:19 PM
This was a noticeable improvement over his previous mailbags.

He still needs to go back and answer the question about potential draft picks for this year.

Das Texan
12-19-2006, 05:03 PM
we are fucked when timmy retires in so many ways.

:lol

ShoogarBear
12-19-2006, 05:22 PM
I heard they're going to tear down the AT&T Center and put up an AT&T data center when Timmy retires.

Phenomanul
12-19-2006, 06:45 PM
I heard they're going to tear down the AT&T Center and put up an AT&T data center when Timmy retires.

:lol

T Park
12-19-2006, 06:46 PM
He still needs to go back and answer the question about potential draft picks for this year.

oh please, that question had zero merit to it all.

He doesn't know who they are gonna draft anymore than us.

Like Ludden, if he DID, would give up CIA POP info.

ShoogarBear
12-19-2006, 06:59 PM
oh please, that question had zero merit to it all.

He doesn't know who they are gonna draft anymore than us.

Like Ludden, if he DID, would give up CIA POP info.Gee, right, it makes no sense for a sportswriter to speculate on who might be available late in the first round. Nope, none of his business, no legitimacy to that question at all.

Who said anything about "giving up CIA POP info"? That's laughable.

Yep, no merit at all to that. We don't want any insight or speculation from a sportswriter. Just tell us the score of yesterday's game again.

T Park
12-19-2006, 07:01 PM
Once again, he has no insight or idea who the SPurs would want, anymore than us.

Its laughable that your taking it that seriously :lol

ChumpDumper
12-19-2006, 07:02 PM
I would have said it's a little early to be making draft pick predictions and put in some bullshit about workouts and draft camp.

ShoogarBear
12-19-2006, 07:06 PM
Once again, he has no insight or idea who the SPurs would want, anymore than us.

Its laughable that your taking it that seriously :lolObviously, you don't know what I'm talking about. And I'm not sure it's worth the time to try to explain it to you.

ShoogarBear
12-19-2006, 07:09 PM
I would have said it's a little early to be making draft pick predictions and put in some bullshit about workouts and draft camp.That would at least have been an acceptable answer instead of the smarmy crap he wrote.

Mr.Bottomtooth
12-19-2006, 07:52 PM
I'd like to see Aaron Gray here.

Spurs Brazil
12-19-2006, 08:08 PM
Do you prefer Manu starting or coming off the bench?
– Thiago Landulfo, So Paulo, Brazil

I like Manu starting. In fact, I would prefer he play all 48 minutes. (Stop me if I'm starting to sound like Buck.)

But if the Spurs did decide to make him a full-time reserve, the NBA could retire its Sixth Man award. Manu is the type of high-energy, ball-hawking, game-changing force every coach would love to bring off his bench. That's why Pop has sometimes brought him off the bench for certain matchups during the playoffs.

In my humble opinion, however, Manu is simply too good not to be a regular starter. You usually want your best players matching up with the opponent's best players – and that's what he is.

My question :blah

ducks
12-19-2006, 10:36 PM
Why hasn't Pop seen what a lot of us Spurs fans have been seeing? A "true" point guard should have more assists than shots attempted. Hey, Tony, share the ball!
– Josie, Lytle

Something tells me that if Josie were in charge of balloting for the Basketball Hall of Fame, only one point guard in the sport's history would be inducted: John Stockton.

I took Josie's standard for determining a "true" point guard and applied it to 10 players widely considered among the greatest points to ever play: Magic Johnson, Oscar Robertson, Steve Nash, Isiah Thomas, Stockton, Bob Cousy, Jason Kidd, Walt Frazier, Tiny Archibald and Gary Payton.

Of the 10, only Stockton routinely had more assists than shots attempted. And I tend to think that if Stockton had been blessed with Tony Parker's quickness, we would have seen those too-short shorts zipping to the basket a little more often.

So, once again: Does Tony sometimes shoot too much? Yes. But making him a full-time distributor would deprive him – and the team – of his greatest skill.

The key for Tony is to find a balance between his roles as scorer and creator. So far, he looks like he's making strides in that direction. In nine games this month, he's averaging 7.8 assists.

Phenomanul
12-20-2006, 12:05 AM
My question :blah

Good question... comes up every season in this forum...