PDA

View Full Version : Underpaid: Bruce Bowen

tekdragon
12-19-2006, 10:13 AM
From SI.com (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/0612/gallery.nba.mostunderpaid/content.5.html)

Kori Ellis
12-19-2006, 10:40 AM
One interesting thing is that the Spurs have a team option on Bowen this summer. (Next year is partially guaranteed)

I wonder if he'll opt out again, and re-sign for less money per year over more years. I have no idea how many more years Bowen will be able to go.

MoSpur
12-19-2006, 10:57 AM
They really need to find a younger replacement. Bad! Bowen might have one more good year left in him. I think the playoffs will tell us more though. Bowen could still be effective off the bench if we find a replacement.

MajorMike
12-19-2006, 11:04 AM
I sorta think that, and his age says that, but can anyone really say they have seen ANY sign of Bruce slowing down or wear and tear on him? Yeah, I know he can't go forever, but he plays at the same level today at 35 than he did when he was 2nd team defensive player at Miami in '01?

Kori Ellis
12-19-2006, 11:06 AM
I sorta think that, and his age says that, but can anyone really say they have seen ANY sign of Bruce slowing down or wear and tear on him? Yeah, I know he can't go forever, but he plays at the same level today at 35 than he did when he was 2nd team defensive player at Miami in '01?

I agree. That's why I can't figure out how much longer he'll be able to play. He doesn't even get those little injuries like hamstring and groin pulls that would lead you to believe he might be breaking down. *shrug* *knocks on wood*

I know they should get a young player to replace him soon, but I am just not sure he's even close to done. Like it wouldn't surprise me if he played 3 more seasons.

LEONARD
12-19-2006, 11:34 AM
JHo @ $1.5M too...slightly more than Podkolzin and slightly less than DJ Moose Mbenga! :lol

http://www.hoopshype.com/salaries/dallas.htm

and only $850k last season (something like that)

JHo Got Crazy Game...
http://youtube.com/watch?v=WHvKObUoiNo

:lol

nkdlunch
12-19-2006, 11:44 AM
Bowen is not a penetrator, does not go to the foul line a lot, is mostly a spot up shooter and doesn't dunk.

He will last longer than the energizer bunny

jman3000
12-19-2006, 11:51 AM
JHo @ $1.5M too...slightly more than Podkolzin and slightly less than DJ Moose Mbenga! :lol

http://www.hoopshype.com/salaries/dallas.htm

and only $850k last season (something like that)

JHo Got Crazy Game...
http://youtube.com/watch?v=WHvKObUoiNo

:wtf ... who said anything about josh howard? dude is still on his rookie contract... of course he wouldn't be making tons of money... same reason i don't think lebron should be 1 on that list... it's the maximum amount of money he's even allowed to make.

SenorSpur
12-19-2006, 11:51 AM
It's a very curious question - how long will Bruce play? There's no question Bowen is one of the most well-conditioned athletes in the league - much less the team. Heck, the guy is an iron-man.

The Spurs have been sooo fortunate that he has been injury-free. That still doesn't mean the Spurs shouldn't be proactively searching for an heir apparent. From all indications, they are aware of the "great dependency" on the Bruce's skills and contributions.

Hopefully, J. White will get a great help next year. Even so, I would still want them to search for yet another athletic perimeter defender.

LEONARD
12-19-2006, 12:11 PM
:wtf ... who said anything about josh howard? dude is still on his rookie contract... of course he wouldn't be making tons of money... same reason i don't think lebron should be 1 on that list... it's the maximum amount of money he's even allowed to make.

Um, I did...

and if LeBron is eligible for the list so should JHo...

SpurYank
12-19-2006, 07:55 PM
Bruce is a winner. That's all the Spurs need to know. Keep him until he can't contribute, and that's probably 2 - 3 years away.

T Park
12-19-2006, 08:07 PM
leave it to mavs fan, as usual, to ruin another thread.

nkdlunch
12-19-2006, 08:33 PM
Bruce Bowen on crutches and with an amputated leg is better defensively than 50% of the league
(don't worry I knocked on all the wood in my house)

v2freak
12-19-2006, 09:18 PM
To be honest, I don't think any player in sports is underpaid. But in regards to everyone else, our hard-working Bruce should be making more.

Also, that picture of Monta Ellis is too funny!

slayermin
12-19-2006, 09:50 PM
I have no idea how many more years Bowen will be able to go.

Vbookie on this?

LEONARD
12-20-2006, 10:15 AM
leave it to mavs fan, as usual, to ruin another thread.

How so?

GrandeDavid
12-20-2006, 11:12 AM
My man needs to get paid in full like Eric B. and my home shizzle Rakim.

JPB
12-20-2006, 11:17 AM
It's hard to tell how much years he has in him. Nobody, including him, knows it.
Some athlets just go down brutally and some others gradually.
What is sure is that Bruce work and health ethic are giving him more chances to play longer at a high level than others.
Besides, when you play in a winning, stimulating and always contending team, it's easier not to let it go.
Dont' forget Bruce had his part of "hard time". He played in Europe in small teams before joigning the NBA. So he's certainly appreciating what he has now and probably want to make it last the more he can.

:downspin:

phyzik
12-20-2006, 11:45 AM
How so?

When you hear someone talking about their car do you jump in and tell them how much you like peanut butter and jelly?

The thread was about Bruce Bowen. It seems like every thread on this board just HAS to have a reference to the Mavericks or your (dallas fans) heads will explode. :lol

coopdogg3
12-20-2006, 01:00 PM
When you hear someone talking about their car do you jump in and tell them how much you like peanut butter and jelly?

The thread was about Bruce Bowen. It seems like every thread on this board just HAS to have a reference to the Mavericks or your (dallas fans) heads will explode. :lol

LOL. This just struck me as funny.

phxspurfan
12-20-2006, 02:32 PM
i wish...i'd cut off my left teste to have bowen's job at 1/10th the pay...

...testicle?

anyway, Bowen is solid now and I would suggest an interview with him to see how he stays fit. I think he and rip hamilton are amazing basketball marathoners and should be celebrated for their dedication.

...that being said, watch Bruce come out and say: "Yeah...to stay trim and toned I eat lots of hot dogs and cheeseburgers, take a multivitamin and sit on the sofa/rent movies with my wife! And that's when I'm nto on charter flights, eating peanuts for dinner..."