PDA

View Full Version : Pop, sign Justin Williams now!

whottt
12-20-2006, 01:45 AM
http://www.nba.com/dleague/playerfile/justin_williams/game_by_game_stats.html

You want shotblocking? There it is.

3rd best shotblocker in NCAA history(Behind only Adonal Foyle and DRob) and his talent has transferred. And he's a got a beast work ethic.

This guy is going to be a better shotblocker than anyone we are going to have a chance to draft or sign barring a lottery pick. Better than Javtokas...better than Mahinimi or Butler.

Sign this guy to preserve the Spurs D scheme for the future...alongside Mahinimi and Butler.

This guy is going to be the dominant shotblocker in the league once finally lands on a team...it'd be nice if it's the Spurs he does this for.

ChumpDumper
12-20-2006, 02:19 AM
He's playing for the Dakota Wizards.

whottt
12-20-2006, 02:19 AM
The Kings cut him a long time ago.

His offensive game is what's not good enough for the NBA...his shotblocking(definitely) and rebounding were NBA ready in training camp.

The NBA has been in a lowblock era for a while now, there are some greatshotblockers, but it's a far cry from the early to mid 90's when you had Zo, Shaq, Ewing, Deke, Hakeem and Drob....among many, many others.

And it's been a low block era in College for a while now too...then this kid comes along and blocks over 5 a game...that's no fluke. Shotblocking is extremely important to the Spurs Defense and it's just sitting there waiting to be signed...and this kid could be the dominant shotblocker of his generation.

His scouting profle reads a whole hell of a lot like Ben Wallace's early profile IMO too.

whottt
12-20-2006, 02:26 AM
Chump, did you get to see this kid against the Toros? What'd you think?

ChumpDumper
12-20-2006, 02:36 AM
The Toros played the Wiz in Bismark. I don't think they're coming to town until the end of the season. I'm sure one of his game will be on NBAtv, and there's a small chance I'd be in DFW when he plays the Flyers.

BTW, there were more scouts Sunday than I've ever seen at a Toro game. I think they were there mainly to check out Andre Brown and Frank Williams, though some of them may have wanted to find out why Anthony Fuqua improved so much.

Mr. Body
12-20-2006, 03:00 AM
Funny Sacto didn't keep him. They appear to have a roster spot available. My guess is they didn't want the luxury tax hit for signing him at all, but he certainly does look productive.

Bruno
12-20-2006, 07:45 AM
His stats are great and he is still young.
If he is quick enough to defend PFs like Dirk or Odom, he can really help Spurs.

I don't see Spurs waiving Eric Williams just to sign a young player from DLeague because they should do a move to go under the Luxury tax before. If the roster and salary situation allow Spurs to sign a young player, Justin Williams seems to be a good choice.

kingsfan
12-20-2006, 07:57 AM
I don't know why we cut him, that was a mistake but there's been a lot of them lately. http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smidepressed.gif

spurtime
12-20-2006, 09:42 AM
Loren Woods put up huge college shotblocking numbers in college as well...I wouldn't put a whole lot of stock in that. This guy's potential upside is at about the level of Desagana Diop. Not worth salivating over imo.

JamStone
12-20-2006, 10:07 AM
Was an interesting prospect out of college last year. Looked to be of the same ilk as Theo Ratliff, especially sharing the same alma mater. I was surprised no one took a shot on him in the second round last year. I'm more surprised no one has taken a shot at him on their roster with the lack of quality big men throughout the league.

Mr. Body
12-20-2006, 10:12 AM
Last I looked, we don't have a Diop on our roster and could use one. By the sounds of it, this guy has what Butler doesn't - an unstoppable motor. Reading DraftExpress, which is high on him, it sounds like he needs to add some weight and greatly improve his post defense, but his weak-side defense is already exceptional and he pops and recovers very well on pick-and-rolls. Those last two things would help a great deal against Dallas, for example, if only for spot minutes.

ChumpDumper
12-27-2006, 05:02 PM
Justin Williams tries to work his way into the NBA
An AP Member Exchange Feature By SCOTT ALLEN
Casper Star-Tribune

CASPER, Wyo. - For a reminder of where he was and where he again wants to be, Justin Williams need look no further than his jersey.

The former Wyoming standout is the starting center for the NBA D-League's Dakota Wizards, whose purple uniforms are strikingly similar to those of the Sacramento Kings. Williams signed as an undrafted free agent with Sacramento in July, but was waived before the regular season began.

Based on his numbers through eight games with Dakota, Williams could earn another shot at the next level soon. Williams is averaging 12 points, 11.8 rebounds and 3.25 blocks per game for the 6-2 Wizards, who are based in Bismarck, N.D.

His agent, Darren White, said things are looking up for the Chicago native.

"The way things are going, I think he'll be one of the first players to be called up," White said.

While Dakota is officially affiliated with the NBA's Washington Wizards and Chicago Bulls, Williams can be called up by any one of the NBA's 30 teams. It is common for teams to wait to call up players until Jan. 5, the first day that players can be signed to 10-day contracts. Last season, only one of the D-League's 18 call-ups occurred before Jan. 5.

White didn't expect Williams would be in his present situation when he signed a partially guaranteed, one-year contract with Sacramento on July 24. But Williams became expendable when the Kings signed veteran big man Maurice Taylor, and White said he thought Sacramento's decision to waive Williams was also, at least in part, a cost-cutting measure.

"I think that that was more of a business decision than it was Justin," White said. "I think he had an excellent training camp based on the minutes that he played."

Sacramento head coach Eric Musselman admitted as much in an interview on the Kings' team Web site shortly before the Kings waived Williams.

"He is a guy that the odds are stacked against him based on guaranteed contracts," Musselman said. "All he can do is play as hard as he can play, and that's what he has done."

White said Williams had plenty of opportunities to play overseas, where the money is often better but the odds of being plucked by an NBA team are slim. Ultimately, White told Williams he should do what he does best - rebound and defend - while continuing to develop his offensive game in the D-League, and NBA teams would take notice.

"I think that was the reason why he wanted to play in the D-League," White said. "He feels that he's right there."

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/16321912.htm

The race to be the first D-League big man called up is between Williams and Andre Brown.

caŽlo
12-27-2006, 06:01 PM
man.. williams can rebound too

dg7md
12-27-2006, 06:26 PM
They'll have to sign someone now with all of these injuries and sicknesses going around.

SequSpur
12-27-2006, 06:27 PM
come on dude....

Kori Ellis
12-27-2006, 06:42 PM
They'll have to sign someone now with all of these injuries and sicknesses going around.

They would have to cut someone first.

ChumpDumper
12-27-2006, 06:49 PM
If you're talking about the Spurs, this bug doesn't seem like a long-term one. Oberto is already over it.

Mr.Bottomtooth
12-27-2006, 06:49 PM
This guy looks like the shit. We should try to sign him in the offseason to replace Bonner and Horry(assuming Bonner walks and Horry retires).

dg7md
12-27-2006, 06:50 PM
They would have to cut someone first.

Or... a trade. :downspin:

Mr.Bottomtooth
12-27-2006, 06:55 PM
Or... a trade. :downspin:
Finley+Beno+Bonner for Maggette. THEN sign Williams. :smokin

ChumpDumper
01-03-2007, 02:31 AM
Called up by the Kings.

http://draftexpress.com/blogs.php?blogid=6

MannyIsGod
01-03-2007, 02:43 AM
Loren Woods put up huge college shotblocking numbers in college as well...I wouldn't put a whole lot of stock in that. This guy's potential upside is at about the level of Desagana Diop. Not worth salivating over imo.Wow, do you know how much I wish we had Diop sometimes?

THE SIXTH MAN
01-03-2007, 02:48 AM
Diop it like its hot....

SenorSpur
01-03-2007, 04:19 AM
The Spurs are so deficient in the areas of interior defense and shotblocking that I find myself unknowingly getting envious when I see other teams defending both the paint and the rim. I say to myself "I wish someone on our team would do that".

kris
01-03-2007, 04:32 AM
NBA Inside Stuff host Ahmad Rashad said Duncan was a premier shotblocker after he showed the highlight of Duncan swatting away another point guards scoop shot.

Bruno
01-03-2007, 06:02 AM
I'm quite surprised that Knigs sign him now : his contract will be guaranteed on january 10th. They have only one week to evaluate him. I guess thay have done it because they know him well enough (he was with Kings for the training camp) to judge in one week if he is now worth a roster spot.

Mr.Bottomtooth
01-03-2007, 12:30 PM
:pctoss The Spurs should've gone after him.

Ed Helicopter Jones
01-03-2007, 01:00 PM
His offensive game is what's not good enough for the NBA...his shotblocking(definitely) and rebounding were NBA ready in training camp.

He could be George Johnson reincarnate.

ChumpDumper
01-03-2007, 01:37 PM
I'm quite surprised that Knigs sign him now : his contract will be guaranteed on january 10th. They have only one week to evaluate him. I guess thay have done it because they know him well enough (he was with Kings for the training camp) to judge in one week if he is now worth a roster spot.I think they could waive him before the deadline and sign him for a ten day contract after he clears waivers -- if no one has picked him up by now it's doubtful anyone will take him for the year at this point.

timvp
04-11-2007, 11:35 PM
Justin Williams > Francisco Elson

Elson getting manhandled by a rookie makes me not want to look forward to what may be coming in the playoffs.

whottt
04-11-2007, 11:48 PM
:depressed

whottt>SPurs FO...

TimVP, would you mind making Williams a keeper in D-League 1? I drafted him but he's still listed as a non keeper.

timvp
04-11-2007, 11:49 PM
You owe me one for this bumpage.

:smokin

whottt
04-11-2007, 11:50 PM
Justin Williams > Francisco Elson

Elson getting manhandled by a rookie makes me not want to look forward to what may be coming in the playoffs.

This kids been manhandling a few guys lately.

whottt
04-11-2007, 11:52 PM
You owe me one for this bumpage.

:smokin

What about? (http://www.nndb.com/people/924/000107603/jason-kidd-2.jpg)

He was the only one that showed up for you.

THE SIXTH MAN
04-12-2007, 01:15 AM
He pwnd all our bigs except for TD. :pctoss

Rynospursfan
04-12-2007, 03:28 AM
How much of the MLE would you throw at this guy after 30 games in the NBA?

Supergirl
04-12-2007, 06:59 AM
The two players you compare him to says it all - DRob and Adonal Foyle. That implies that he could become like one of those two players - ie he could be come EITHER one of the greatest centers to play the game, or a waste of human space.

Pretty wide range of options. I think what we can conclude is - tearing it up in the JV league doesn't mean squat about how they're going to do in the NBA.

T Park
04-12-2007, 11:18 AM
i knew after last night we would have to have a "Woe is us, our bigs stink the playoffs are gonna blow thread"

it wouldn't be spurstalk unless we were fully depressed going into the playoffs.

Hoy
04-12-2007, 11:35 AM
Justin Williams was the second best post player in the game last night. How can we not sign him? An athlethic 3/4 right before our eyes.
I know he have no outside game to be three but that athleticism we crave and need in Spurs postmen...I think he can stay with Amare and Dirk and Melo...Maybe even affect the guard jumpers of Milwakee even.
If we have to release Beno or Horry, so be it. Get him, Buford!

SpursFanInCO
04-12-2007, 11:37 AM
Justin Williams is an alma mater of the University of Wyoming...my current school! lol I saw him play first hand the past two years...he is a beast on defense but terrible on offense...although he has been getting some nice minutes and production lately.

I would be stoked if we got him next year.

ChumpDumper
04-12-2007, 11:45 AM
He's not a 3/4 and he's not going anywhere

Hoy
04-12-2007, 11:51 AM

Yes but won't he be the second best post player for Spurs today?

ChumpDumper
04-12-2007, 12:09 PM
2nd best rebounder and blocker? Possibly, but "post player" makes me think offense, and this guy doesn't have much to speak of. Besisdes, the time to call for signing these guys is when they are playing for teams like the Dakota Wizards, not the Sacramento Kings. Where were you then?

wildbill2u
04-12-2007, 12:09 PM
He could be George Johnson reincarnate.
Jesus, there's a name from the past. If ol George is still alive, he's probably swipin' apples off the top branches of the tree without a ladder.

Fillmoe
04-12-2007, 12:12 PM
the time to call for signing these guys is when they are playing for teams like the Dakota Wizards, not the Sacramento Kings. Where were you then?

read the date and the whole first post......

ChumpDumper
04-12-2007, 12:13 PM
read the date and the whole first post......

Get him, Buford!

wildbill2u
04-12-2007, 12:15 PM
Justin Williams was the second best post player in the game last night. How can we not sign him? ...If we have to release Beno or Horry, so be it. Get him, Buford!
I assume you mean we just march into the Kings office, tear up his contract, shoot their GM and David Stern and challenge anyone to take him from us if they are big enough? :pctoss

Where do you people come from?

Phenomanul
04-12-2007, 12:17 PM
Unless they nab Oden in the lottery there's no way the Kings let go of Williams after last night's performance.

Hoy
04-12-2007, 12:28 PM
I assume you mean we just march into the Kings office, tear up his contract, shoot their GM and David Stern and challenge anyone to take him from us if they are big enough? :pctoss

I believe his contract is for this year only. Williams was planning to attend King's summer camp for a contract.
Why, did you know this information to be wrong?

pad300
04-12-2007, 12:29 PM

Does his contract with the Kings give them an option on him next year? I would be surprised if he was not an FA this summer; I thought he signed a standard, pro-rated Vet Min contract. Given he's been there less than 1 year, I am not even sure they have his Bird rights?

You don't think some team will take a shot at stealing him from the Kings? (Not neccesarily the Spurs, we roster space issues, depending on FO moves and retirements...).

ChumpDumper
04-12-2007, 12:31 PM
The athletic big man in the D-League to watch now is Deji Akindele. He's every bit the athlete Williams is. Though he is a year older, he hasn't played basketball as many years. When Luke Schenscher got called up, Akindele started getting regular playing time and started putting up numbers close to those of Williams when he was in Bismark.

http://www.nba.com/media/dleague/dfenders_flyers_10.jpg

ChumpDumper
04-12-2007, 12:36 PM
Rod Benson is doing a great job off the bench for Dakota these days as well. Writes a good blog too. I'll probably throw together a list of D-League prospects after the regular season ends this weekend.

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-12-2007, 12:40 PM

This thread started in December 2006. Which was why it was brought back up yesterday - to make a point.

wildbill2u
04-12-2007, 12:52 PM
This thread started in December 2006. Which was why it was brought back up yesterday - to make a point.
I realized it began as a Dec. thread after I got into it. But the question isn't so much "Why did the Spurs not act on the recommendation of a SpursTalk poster?" God knows there have been posts about lots and lots of 'surefire' rookies in the D leagues that we should go after and sign.

But the question back in Dec was why had the Kings sent him down after having him on their hook? He wasn't ready. Later, when he got some seasoning, they brought him back.

The most recent posts that I answered sounded like we could take control of his contract or that the Kings have no interest in renewing his association with their team if he is in fact a FA at the end of the year. We are in competition with all teams for any good players who are FA. It isn't always easy to overcome their ties, legal or not, to the team that brought them in--nor to compete against other teams who have rosters that are easier to adjust or who have better cap situations.

The FO and Pop get criticized for not pulling off deals that our posters want, simply as though the organization isn't aware of possibilities or doesnt ever want to improve the team. That simply isn't so.

whottt
04-12-2007, 03:29 PM
I realized it began as a Dec. thread after I got into it. But the question isn't so much "Why did the Spurs not act on the recommendation of a SpursTalk poster?" God knows there have been posts about lots and lots of 'surefire' rookies in the D leagues that we should go after and sign.

But the question back in Dec was why had the Kings sent him down after having him on their hook? He wasn't ready. Later, when he got some seasoning, they brought him back.

The most recent posts that I answered sounded like we could take control of his contract or that the Kings have no interest in renewing his association with their team if he is in fact a FA at the end of the year. We are in competition with all teams for any good players who are FA. It isn't always easy to overcome their ties, legal or not, to the team that brought them in--nor to compete against other teams who have rosters that are easier to adjust or who have better cap situations.

The FO and Pop get criticized for not pulling off deals that our posters want, simply as though the organization isn't aware of possibilities or doesnt ever want to improve the team. That simply isn't so.

Beg Pardone...but I am far from a mere SpursTalk poster...

The only time I've been wrong is on NVE.

The Spurs ignore my reccomendations at their own risk.

And I don't where you posted at prior to here...but bumping old threads to prop yourself is a SpursTalk institution....

or sometimes the threads of others.

Bumping older threads where other people made stupid coments to illustrate how wrong they were, is another ST instituon.

Go read the classics forums sometimes...this isn't the first time the FO has gotten owned by a ST Poster.

And my second guessing abilities are second to none as well...I know for a fact I'm a better second guesser than the Spurs are a FO....

Kori Ellis
04-12-2007, 03:32 PM
The athletic big man in the D-League to watch now is Deji Akindele. He's every bit the athlete Williams is. Though he is a year older, he hasn't played basketball as many years. When Luke Schenscher got called up, Akindele started getting regular playing time and started putting up numbers close to those of Williams when he was in Bismark.

http://www.nba.com/media/dleague/dfenders_flyers_10.jpg

Do you pronounce his first name DJ?

Balla headband. Check.

ChumpDumper
04-12-2007, 04:01 PM
:lol

DAY-jee (sometimes -zhee) AH-kin-dayl is the pronunciation I've heard most often. he played about as well as Pops Mensa Bonsu when I saw the Toros play the Flyers in Fort Worth last weekend.

T Park
04-12-2007, 09:15 PM
Is he the property of anyone?

If not, then maybe he gets a look see.

Kori Ellis
04-12-2007, 09:21 PM
:lol

DAY-jee (sometimes -zhee) AH-kin-dayl is the pronunciation I've heard most often. he played about as well as Pops Mensa Bonsu when I saw the Toros play the Flyers in Fort Worth last weekend.
Thanks. I didn't keep up with DLeague/CBA this year because Noel wasn't here in minor leagues. And now, I'm kind of regretting it. Last year I knew so much about who's who and who's good of the up and comers. This year, I feel like a (minor league) basketball dummy.

atxrocker
04-12-2007, 09:31 PM
Unless they nab Oden in the lottery there's no way the Kings let go of Williams after last night's performance.

ChumpDumper
04-13-2007, 12:18 AM
Is he the property of anyone?

If not, then maybe he gets a look see.He's a free agent. He didn't do crap last year and I'm kind of surprised the Flyers kept him. However, he's improved quite a bit this season on both ends of the court and can stay in games alot longer without fouling out. He's still raw but I'm sure he'll be on the wish list for alot NBA summer league teams.