PDA

View Full Version : A light at the end of the tunnel?

BIG IRISH
12-20-2006, 03:53 AM
A BIG THANK YOU to the people of IRAN

TEHRAN, Iran —SNIP
The balloting represented a partial comeback for opponents of Mr. Ahmadinejad, whose Islamic government's policies have fueled fights with the West and brought Iran closer to U.N. sanctions.

A former president, Hashemi Rafsanjani, a relative moderate, polled the most votes of any Tehran candidate to win re-election to a key assembly post.

The biggest victory was for "moderate conservatives," supporters of Iran's cleric-led power structure who are angry with Mr. Ahmadinejad, saying he has needlessly provoked the West with harsh rhetoric and has failed to fix the country's faltering economy.

The election, held Friday, does not directly affect Mr. Ahmadinejad's administration and is not expected to bring immediate policy changes. It selected local councils that handle community matters in cities and towns across Iran.

But it represented the first time the public has weighed in on Mr. Ahmadinejad's stormy presidency since he took office in June 2005. The results, if the trend holds, could pressure Mr. Ahmadinejad to change at least his tone and focus more on high unemployment and other economic problems
http://www.nysun.com/pf.php?id=45399

Hopefully this will start the turn of the tide in Iran and common sense will eventually prevail.

boutons_
12-20-2006, 06:58 AM
The theocracy is more oppressive and legitimate than the Shah ever was.

The oil $Bs in subsidies, much of which is fiannced by the Repugs refusal to have any energy policy other than enriching/protecting the oilcos, on bread, gasoline, etc keep the people bought off.

The pro forma "democracy", like this meaningless election. keeps the people thinking they have some voice.

Don't count on the Iranian people trying to try a 2nd Iranian Revolution to overthrow the mullahs, nor the Iranian theocracy and their morality police/heavily equipped military to allow it.

You right wingers have you heads so far up your asses, you have have a hard time sucking off dubya (or hearing pigs singing), let alone see any light you wishfully think might me appearing.

exstatic
12-20-2006, 08:19 AM
Hopefully this will start the turn of the tide in Iran and common sense will eventually prevail.
I'm sure they thought the same thing (substituting the country US above) about our fall elections. Its funny, but two "Presidents" who did nothing but talk shit and ratchet up tension both got their asses handed to them when their power base was kicked out from under them.

MannyIsGod
12-20-2006, 10:25 AM
Except that the power in Iran isn't really held by politicians.

Extra Stout
12-20-2006, 10:42 AM
It seems difficult to get through people's heads that Ahmadinejad does not hold all that much authority in his government. In Iran's government, the judiciary is by far the most powerful branch, not the executive.

Ahmadinejad is responsible for domestic policy and for being a figurehead for the people to rally behind.

In terms in power, the guy who makes the decisions is Ayatollah Khameini, just as it has been since 1989. An electoral repudiation of Ahmadinejad is irrelevant.

MannyIsGod
12-20-2006, 10:59 AM
It seems difficult to get through people's heads that Ahmadinejad does not hold all that much authority in his government. In Iran's government, the judiciary is by far the most powerful branch, not the executive.

Ahmadinejad is responsible for domestic policy and for being a figurehead for the people to rally behind.

In terms in power, the guy who makes the decisions is Ayatollah Khameini, just as it has been since 1989. An electoral repudiation of Ahmadinejad is irrelevant.

BIG IRISH
12-21-2006, 02:32 AM
The pro forma "democracy", like this meaningless election. keeps the people thinking they have some voice.
Don't count on the Iranian people trying to try a 2nd Iranian Revolution to overthrow the mullahs, nor the Iranian theocracy and their morality police/heavily equipped military to allow it.
You right wingers have you heads so far up your asses, you have have a hard time sucking off dubya (or hearing pigs singing), let alone see any light you wishfully think might me appearing.

Meaningless election? like the one in the US?
There might just be an Iranian Revolution but I'm sure you won't see it on your beloved CNN.
I'M sure any light you see at the end of the tunnel, now that the Dumbocrats
are regaining power is a fng train, but keep on singing people will stay awake..

In terms in power, the guy who makes the decisions is Ayatollah Khameini, just as it has been since 1989. An electoral repudiation of Ahmadinejad is irrelevant.[/QUOTE
Yep and I heard on CNN :rolleyes that the Ayatollah rake the Ahmadinejad
over the coals on his statment about wiping the jew from the face of the earth.

[QUOTE=exstatic]I'm sure they thought the same thing (substituting the country US above) about our fall elections. Its funny, but two "Presidents" who did nothing but talk shit and ratchet up tension both got their asses handed to them when their power base was kicked out from under them.
:clap :clap :clap

In Iran, All Politics Is Local
The city councils are considered the crucible in which national leaders are molded - a prime example being President Mahmoud Ahmadi Nezhad himself.

City councils, established in 1999 during the reformist Mohammad Khatami's presidency, hold a degree of independence from the government. They appoint mayors and govern municipal activities. Yet, in their short history, they have played an important role in Iranian politics and are now seen as a springboard for political factions

On the streets of Tehran there is little enthusiasm for elections. "I'm not going to vote. What difference can it make? I'll never vote if elections are not really free and most candidates are disqualified for their beliefs", said Hanieh, 20, a college student in Tehran.
Where have I heard that before :lol

Like other institutions copied from the "corrupt West" elections are also an euphemism in the Islamic Republic of Iran, where elections are no more than "selections". NBADAN in 9,8,7,.....

the above ^^http://www.iran-press-service.com/ips/articles-2006/december2006/elections_151206.shtml

MY POINT is there is hope for another revolution backed by the Saudis
Halburton, who have offices in downtown tehran, the jews, and others.

"Iranian Students And Minorities Opposed to Ahmadi Nezhad riot
According to Iranian analysts, the new students unrest is in response to Mr. Ahmadi Nezhad’s crackdown on the reformist press and the intelligentsia community, his unconsidered statements and hard line foreign policy that is endangering the security of the population and the integrity of the nation as well as his policies to islamise the society."
^^^Iranian Press Service^^^

http://www.iran-press-service.com/ips/articles-2006/may-2006/students-unrest-29506.shtml

PixelPusher
12-21-2006, 02:46 AM
"But we still get to bomb the shit out 'em, right?" - neocon

BIG IRISH
12-21-2006, 03:28 AM
Nope- Hailburton won't allow it. They just redecorated their office building in downtown Tehran and if might mess-up the pipeline deal.
:toast