PDA

View Full Version : Nuggets-Suns game snowed out

NuGGeTs-FaN
12-20-2006, 06:32 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/index

Nuggets game snowed out
It looks like someone really wanted the Nuggets' next game to be with Allen Iverson. The new acquisition wasn't supposed to play on Wednesday night, and then a snowstorm in Denver forced the cancelation of the Nuggets-Suns game.

NuGGeTs-FaN
12-20-2006, 06:34 PM
sweet, AI will be playing then :smokin

timvp
12-20-2006, 06:37 PM
It will snow in hell before Allen Iverson gets traded for Andre Miller.

Well, I was close.

:hat

NuGGeTs-FaN
12-20-2006, 06:38 PM
Well, I was close.

:hat

ouch, lucky im not a Denverite or else you would pay for that! :lol

ducks
12-20-2006, 06:58 PM
Snowstorm shuts Denver airport
1,600 flights idled; Colorado governor declares state of emergency
BREAKING NEWS
MSNBC and NBC News
Updated: 3:35 p.m. MT Dec 20, 2006
DENVER - A major snowstorm that blew across Colorado toward the Plains on Wednesday resulted in officials closing Denver International Airport. The action cancels about 1,600 daily flights into and out of the airport on the eve of the Christmas holidays.

A spokesman for the airport told NBC affiliate KUSA that the airport is closed until further notice. The main road leading to airport, Peña Boulevard, is also closed.

Governor Bill Owens declared a disaster emergency, saying he wanted to free up additional resources to help cope with the weather.

Blizzard warnings posted
The National Weather Service posted blizzard warnings for most of eastern Colorado and adjoining sections of Nebraska and Kansas. A day earlier, the storm had pummeled New Mexico with up to a foot of snow.

Two feet of snow was possible in the foothills just west of Denver, with 2 to 3 feet a possibility farther north. Up to 20 inches could accumulate on the Plains of eastern Colorado and wind up to 30 mph could pile the snow into high drifts, the National Weather Service said.

The storm struck Denver with more than 6 inches of snow just as the morning commute was starting.

“I’m going to grab my computer, talk to my boss and go back home,” Jennifer Robinson said after driving about 20 miles from her home in Boulder to her sales job in downtown Denver. “I’m not going to take a risk and get stuck in Denver.”

National Guard deployed
Preparing for major disruptions, Owens opened the Emergency Operations Center and the Colorado National Guard Joint Operations Center, which will be manned 24 hours a day.

The governor activated the National Guard and put guard members on standby to assist stranded motorists, but said he hopes it won't be necessary to endanger their lives as well.

The state stationed emergency vehicles, Humvees, snow cats and emergency response teams across the state before the storm hit.

Owens said a state trooper told him that Humvees are the only way to reach stranded motorists.

Carriers cancel en masse
United Airlines, the busiest carrier at Denver International Airport, canceled more than 630 flights for the rest of Wednesday, and Frontier Airlines planned to cancel up to 40 afternoon flights, representatives said.

Stranded travelers sprawled on benches and floors at the Denver airport, or stood in long lines at ticket counters trying to make new reservations.

“I’m trying to book another flight, but I’ll probably be spending the night at the airport,” said Michael Heitc, 54, of Denver, who was trying to get to Oregon to visit relatives for the holidays.

Police closed Interstate 70 for more than 250 miles from just east of Denver to Colby, Kan., and sections of I-80 along a 140-mile stretch from Cheyenne, Wyo., to Big Springs, Neb., because of visibility near zero and slippery pavement.

“Crashes are beginning to occur,” said Mary Jo Hall of the Nebraska Department of Roads.

Travelers, truckers stalled
Travelers stalled by the closures had already started filling Kansas motels during the morning, said Stan Whitley, a spokesman for the state Department of Transportation.

Truckers were pulling off I-80 at Ogallala, Neb. “Our parking lot is pretty small, but they’re just kind of parked off on the streets,” said cashier Michelle Krauter at the Sapp Brothers truck stop.

Scores of schools were closed, along with many courthouses in eastern Colorado.

The lumbering storm dropped more than a foot of snow in Colorado’s southwestern mountains Tuesday, with 19 inches at the Wolf Creek ski area and 17 at Durango Mountain Resort.

“We’ve been waiting for a big storm to hit so this was the best early Christmas present,” Durango Mountain Resort spokeswoman Loryn Kasten said.

Rain spread across much of the rest of the Plains.

Roads around New Mexico were still snowpacked and icy Wednesday. Numerous schools opened late or remained closed.

Up to a foot of snow fell at higher elevations of northwest and west-central New Mexico on Tuesday, and snow and sleet closed sections of I-40 across eastern New Mexico and in the Texas Panhandle. Albuquerque International airport was closed for several hours Tuesday as snow covered runways.

© 2006 MSNBC InteractiveNBC affiliate KUSA and the Associated Press contributed to this report.
URL: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16298482/

dknights411
12-20-2006, 07:01 PM
I guess AI brings chaos wherever he goes.

dimsah
12-20-2006, 07:03 PM
The damn blizzard caused my database to go down so I'm at work not doing a damn thing.

JMarkJohns
12-20-2006, 07:12 PM
Figures... Oh well, I get to watch top-10 ranked Arizona vs. top-20 ranked Memphis without having to flip back-n-fourth now...

ducks
12-20-2006, 07:13 PM
does this game count count towards melo's suspension.......

RonMexico
12-20-2006, 07:18 PM
Figures... Oh well, I get to watch top-10 ranked Arizona vs. top-20 ranked Memphis without having to flip back-n-fourth now...

That's a worthless game to watch - I hope Jon Chaney kills Calipari already...

JMarkJohns
12-20-2006, 07:22 PM
Two top-20 teams going at it is worthless? There's potential for a half-dozen first-rounders on the two teams. Surely you jest?!

RonMexico
12-20-2006, 07:26 PM
I'm an ASU fan and a bitter Texas A&M fan (losses to LSU and UCLA)... I'm indifferent with respect to Memphis.

My friend played as Arizona last night on Xbox Live and the taste of that defeat is still strong in my mouth.

Budinger is really good, though.

tsb2000
12-20-2006, 08:35 PM
A lot of irony in the Suns being snowed in... now I'm stuck watching NJ and the LeBrons.

samikeyp
12-20-2006, 09:46 PM
I knew AI was the cause of climate shifts! :lol