PDA

View Full Version : Johnny Ludden : Spurs notebook: Parker's All-Star status uncertain

Bruno
12-21-2006, 03:34 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA122106.06D.BKNspurs.notebook.3631990.html

Web Posted: 12/21/2006 12:29 AM CST
Johnny Ludden
Express-News

Allen Iverson has yet to play for the Denver Nuggets, but he's already made an impact in the Western Conference.

As in: Tony Parker's chances of making the West's All-Star team for the second consecutive season just became a lot more difficult.

The 595,200 votes Iverson picked up for the Eastern Conference during the first balloting returns carry over to the West. Iverson also is now featured on the West online ballot.

The Los Angeles Lakers' Kobe Bryant (720,375) and Houston's Tracy McGrady (668,130) led West guards after the first returns. Phoenix's Steve Nash is a lock for one of the backup guard positions if he doesn't overtake McGrady in balloting.

Each conference's coaches select the seven reserves. They must vote for two guards, two forwards, one center and two players regardless of position.

Parker's best hope may be to have Iverson pass McGrady and join Bryant as a starter. Given the competition at forward, it's unlikely the West coaches will take more than five guards.

Currently, Iverson, Parker, New Orleans' Chris Paul, Utah's Deron Williams, Sacramento's Kevin Martin, Golden State's Baron Davis and Seattle's Ray Allen could be competing for two positions.

"I always thought the first time was the hardest, so I thought the second would be easier," said Parker, who received his first All-Star selection last season. "But now it's even harder.

"Whatever happens, happens. I can't control it anyway."

Gasol reminisces: Grizzlies center Pau Gasol remembers vividly the last time he faced Manu Ginobili and Francisco Oberto before Wednesday's Spurs-Grizzlies game at the AT&T Center. The memories are bittersweet.

Gasol led Spain to an overtime victory over Ginobili's and Oberto's Argentine team in the semifinals of the FIBA World Championships in Japan in September. However, he suffered a broken left foot late in that game and missed the first 22 games this season as a result.

Gasol said he had not the slightest inclination to talk trash to his Argentine friends during Wednesday's game, in Spanish or English.

"I'm not a big trash talker," Gasol said. "In a reverse way, I wouldn't like it if they had beaten me in that game and got the gold medal."

Gasol had 16 points in 24 minutes Wednesday in his fourth game back. His minutes are being limited as he gets back in shape.

"I think in a week or two, the minutes should be increased significantly, and I should be able to get more confidence and play more minutes," Gasol said. "I will get used to going up and down and used to every basketball move. I'm more thinking about my breathing and being able to react right now."

Horry worried: Robert Horry was taken to the locker room for a quick examination with 6:34 remaining in the third quarter after a collision with a Memphis player that left him sprawled on the court in pain.

Horry returned to the bench late in the third quarter and started the fourth quarter.

"I don't know what happened or who hit me," Horry said. "I just know it hurt so bad, I thought I was going to have to call my mom."

Udrih benched: Beno Udrih didn't play for the first time this season. Coach Gregg Popovich used Jacque Vaughn as the backup point guard instead of Udrih, who isn't hurt.

Mike Monroe contributed to this report.

TDMVPDPOY
12-21-2006, 03:40 AM
cp3 cp3 cp3

milkyway21
12-21-2006, 03:46 AM
Ray Allen's all-star time has passed. It's time for him to sit.

plus his team sucks. they can't even beat Dallas sans Nowitski :lol

Bruno
12-21-2006, 04:45 AM
My ASG predictions for western guards :
Starter : Iverson/Bryant.
Bench : Nash/Paul/Parker

Allen is injured, Davis is a chucker and it's still too soon for Martin and Williams.

Udrih benched: Beno Udrih didn't play for the first time this season. Coach Gregg Popovich used Jacque Vaughn as the backup point guard instead of Udrih, who isn't hurt.

No explanations for Udrih benhcing ?
I wonder what happened with Udrih this three days off :
- Vaughn outplaying Udrih in practices ?
- Poor work ethic by Beno during pratices ?
- Something between Beno and Pop ?
- Pop not sold on Beno's start of the season ?
- Pop wanting to reward Vaughn for his work ?
- Pop wanting to let Vaughn in the rythm by giving him some playtime ?

FuzzyLumpkins
12-21-2006, 05:23 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA122106.06D.BKNspurs.notebook.3631990.html

Web Posted: 12/21/2006 12:29 AM CST
Johnny Ludden
Express-News

Horry worried: Robert Horry was taken to the locker room for a quick examination with 6:34 remaining in the third quarter after a collision with a Memphis player that left him sprawled on the court in pain.

Horry returned to the bench late in the third quarter and started the fourth quarter.

"I don't know what happened or who hit me," Horry said. "I just know it hurt so bad, I thought I was going to have to call my mom."
I]

Rob just wants to wait until May. May is really nice.

wildbill2u
12-21-2006, 02:26 PM
My ASG predictions for western guards :
Starter : Iverson/Bryant.
Bench : Nash/Paul/Parker

Allen is injured, Davis is a chucker and it's still too soon for Martin and Williams.

Iverson isn't a chucker? Last time I looked his shooting percentage was .401 vs. Tony +50. The only reason he's leading the league in ppg is he's probably also leading in spg.

I have a feeling that the voters won't take kindly to Iverson's move to the West and continue to vote for him. I don't think AI is a top guard in our Conference that already has so many wonderful players.

Considering his liabilities, would you trade him even-up for Tony, Nash, Bryant, or even Allen, Paul, Williams or Martin? :nope

Leetonidas
12-21-2006, 02:51 PM
I could've sworn McGrady was a forward.