PDA

View Full Version : International TV coverage

Slomo
11-06-2004, 12:32 PM
Could the the international fans post here how is the NBA TV coverage in their respective countries?

I know that the French Canal+ regularly transmits live games and they also do weekly shows about USA Sports. In the same subscription package they also have a 24 hours a day NBA channel called NBA+ (2 nightly live games that are then re-transmited throughout the day) commentary is in French only.

Germany's PREMIERE apparently shows 2 NBA games per week (according to Streakyshooter08), but I believe they allow you to switch between original (US) commentary and the local German commentators.

Over here in Slovenia TV coverage sux - there is NO NBA games on any of the local TVs (I was hoping HBO would show some, but they refuse to come clear as to what sports they will include in their coverage).

So what's the situation elsewhere? How do you manage to get your daily/weekly fix of bball?

Streakyshooter08
11-06-2004, 12:48 PM
This is the schedule for the german Premiere users. You can choose between German and the original US commentators. But it is very expensive.

06.11.04 02:30 Houston Rockets - Sacramento Kings Live Basketball: NBA
12.11.04 02:00 San Antonio Spurs - Miami Heat Live Basketball: NBA
13.11.04 02:30 Houston Rockets - Los Angeles Lakers Live Basketball: NBA
19.11.04 02:30 Dallas Mavericks - New York Knicks Live Basketball: NBA
20.11.04 02:00 New Orleans Hornets - Minnesota Timberwolves Live
26.11.04 02:00 Detroit Pistons - Miami Heat Live Basketball: NBA
27.11.04 02:30 Houston Rockets - Denver Nuggets Live Basketball: NBA
03.12.04 02:00 San Antonio Spurs - Detroit Pistons Live Basketball: NBA
04.12.04 03:00 Denver Nuggets - Miami Heat Live Basketball: NBA

We also have a show called "Inside NBA" on DSF which shows 2 games a week but only about 45 min of the game. But that is better than nothing of course.

Streaky :)

ChumpDumper
11-06-2004, 01:05 PM
You have a PM Slomo.

danyel
11-06-2004, 01:16 PM
Over here in Latin America, even having a record number of players from the area in the NBA (3 Argentinians, 5 Brazilians, 1 or 2 Mexicans), we get just 5 games per MONTH (1 each friday night and 1 on the 2nd wednesday of the month), and thats on basic cable, only through ESPN.

DirectTV users I believe do have the chance to see some more games, and NBA League Pass might be available to them, not really sure if thats the case since I don't have DirectTV.

NBA should really do a better job getting more games to be broadcasted if they ever expect the league to become more popular in other countries, but apparently, the only place they care about is China.

ESPN could also do a better job, Basketball is becoming more popular here, for obvious reasons, yet all we get to watch on ESPN or FOX Sports is soccer, like 20 games per week.

Slomo
11-06-2004, 01:23 PM
You have a PM Slomo.Thanks CD I've already replied!

Slomo
11-06-2004, 01:29 PM
Danyel are you saying that the situation is the same all over Latin America? Does anybody else have any info about the availability of DirectTV in Latin America?

The reason I'm asking (and why I started the thread) is gathering information because I want to put some pressure on our national broadcaster to put some NBA games on out TVs next year. Beside the fact that basketball is hugely popular in Slovenia, I think we should show more national pride in the fact that we have 5 players in the NBA with a population of only barely 2 million.

SLOVENIAN 8
11-06-2004, 01:50 PM
Danyel are you saying that the situation is the same all over Latin America? Does anybody else have any info about the availability of DirectTV in Latin America?

The reason I'm asking (and why I started the thread) is gathering information because I want to put some pressure on our national broadcaster to put some NBA games on out TVs next year. Beside the fact that basketball is hugely popular in Slovenia, I think we should show more national pride in the fact that we have 5 players in the NBA with a population of only barely 2 million.

Tv SLOvenia 2 will broadcast this year 12 season games, and 35 NBA Action shows. I read that in RTV SLO Forum this week!!!

Slomo
11-06-2004, 02:05 PM
Regarding the 12 games I understand that this is their plan but it has to be approved for the next fiscal year (plans are being submited by the end of this month). So beside the fact that I do not feel 12 games is enough I'd like to make sure that we at least get those 12 (I'd sacrifice those gladly if they commited to a decent coverage of the playoffs).

As for the NBA Action shows, I'll take it although I think they are pretty lame (specially if they keep the same Slovenian commentator as previous years).

polandprzem
11-06-2004, 02:07 PM
2 games a week plus an NBA Action on expensive Tv. Not for me yet. I don't have a job and my parents have got more important things to pay for

Slomo
11-06-2004, 02:10 PM
2 games a week plus an NBA Action on expensive Tv. Not for me yet. I don't have a job and my parents have got more important things to pay for
Which TV Station?

polandprzem
11-06-2004, 02:12 PM
"Polish" Canal+

danyel
11-06-2004, 02:22 PM

Its the same ESPN coverage for Latin America & South Pacific, although there might be other cable companies offering more games in other countries that I dont know of.

I thought our coverage was really bad, but you guys got totaly screwed...

I read in an article a few weeks ago that China gets 8 games per week on different networks, amazing huh? :rolleyes

Leo_ARG
11-06-2004, 07:28 PM
Gotta move to China :P

nzkickass
11-06-2004, 10:28 PM
We get 2 games a week, 1 on saturday and 1 on either wednesday or thursday

It's Not enough if u ask me, too much bloody soccer and golf for my liking.

whens Marks coming back ?

alamo50
11-07-2004, 09:27 AM
Over here in The Netherlands I subscribed to Canal+ to see 2 games a week during the regular season on Tuesday night and Friday night.
Than we get NBA Action once a week.

The games are broadcasted "live" with the original american commentators on an hour tape delay with the commercials cutt out (this saves about half an hour).
The next evening their's a replay with dutch commentators.

During the playoffs one game is added to the weekly broadcast and the NBA Finals are broadcasted entirely.
Because I wanna be among the fans instead of all alone in the middle of the night I just travel to San Antonio to see the games live in person.

MI21
11-07-2004, 09:42 AM
For $60AUS which is about about $45US per month, we get 4/5 games a month. Nothing on Free to Air television.

Very shit.

Nikos
11-07-2004, 12:45 PM
How many games do you order from Pontel MI21?