PDA

View Full Version : Tim Duncan one of NBA self inflicted wounds !?

deepsouth
12-21-2006, 05:49 PM
If you read this tirade

(http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=As6VVWX0nUqLynLAb6vonHe8vLYF?slug=cnnsi-smoothjazz&prov=cnnsi&type=lgns)

youll find that, according to Forrester, Tim Duncan is one of "NBA self inflicted wounds" and damage the league's reputation !?!?

quote:

" What incidents/issues have damaged the league's reputation most? Let's count them down.

10. Tim Duncan Can you think of a time you've actually looked forward to watching a Spurs game in the Duncan era? Yes, he wins. Yes, he's a stand-up guy. But, man, is he boring. From his fundamental use of his body and the backboard to his gray-colored quotes to the media, Duncan is a dream for coaches and PR staff but a nightmare for any fan who doesn't appreciate basketball like fine wine. Most fans want some fizz, something that makes one say, "Wow!" not a nuanced drink that puts them to sleep.

"

Is this Paul Forrester a jerk, or what?

phyzik
12-21-2006, 05:54 PM
but a nightmare for any fan who appreciates And1 mix tapes like a Quart of Mad Dog 20/20. Most fans want some fizz, something that makes one say, "Gangsta mothaf***a!" not a drink that requires intelligence to appreciate its flavor.

Fixed...

BradLohaus
12-21-2006, 05:57 PM
I love fine wine. There's never enough.

BrianBird
12-21-2006, 05:58 PM
Right because what you want for the league is thugs clearing benches brawling night in and night out. Thats the kinda fizz that really gets peoples attention and truly makes a player great. What a fucking joke. Tim wins championships, he doesnt need to give two shits what anybody other than his teammates,coaching staff, and owner think. Its a sad fact that to be noticed and celebrated as a great player in the nba, you have to be outlandish or carry a thug swagger into every game. Lost is player that goes about his business and does everything right, including winning.

PM5K
12-21-2006, 05:59 PM
I think if you don't pay enough attention Duncan can certainly appear to be boring, but if you watch him enough, and have a taste for his type of humor, he's actually got quite the personality...

And watching him play is far from boring, sure he's no Michael Jordan but his skills are still impressive...

v2freak
12-21-2006, 06:00 PM
I must be the only one who thinks Duncan is exciting!

NuGGeTs-FaN
12-21-2006, 06:19 PM
Duncan is boring and im sure many Spurs fans know that but it doesnt mean he isnt the best player in the league.

Personally i dont find many big men in the NBA 'exciting' (maybe Amare and Dwight) but they arent meant be exciting. The guards are the flashy ones in the NBA but it doesnt mean they impact the game anymore than big men.

There is a reason Duncan is called 'the big fundamental' and not 'flash'. Duncan does what it takes to win but how can people expect a 7 footer to be exciting? They cant do flashy dunks or do tricky ball handling tricks (like killer crossovers etc)

If you ask me i think Shaq is the most boring star in the league, what else can he do but two handed dunks and the occasional hook shot?

Extra Stout
12-21-2006, 07:00 PM
If you give a 5-year-old a sip of expensive Bordeaux, he probably won't like it. He wants to drink Kool-Aid or Coke.

If you wiki my high school, for notable recent graduates, they mention some girl who posed in Playboy, but not the guy who clerked for Antonin Scalia.

Same principle.

SpurCapita
12-21-2006, 07:04 PM
First off, let me say that Tim Duncan is my favorite player hands-down, and that I love watching him play.

The thing that I can't understand is how Tim Duncan's intrinsic lack of "fizz" matters matters that much at to the overall enjoyment to watching basketball. Basketball is a team sport. I enjoy watching good teams; any team Tim Duncan is on is going to be good, if not great. I don't how or why people watch the Cleveland Cavaliers, the Boston Celtics, or the 76ers. LeBron, Pierce, and Iverson are good players, but watching a whole game of terrible team basketball just to see one or two fantastic plays from superstars is my idea of a snoozefest. The 76ers might be the most boring team in all of sports over the past few years this side of Mali's waterpolo team. :sleep

dimsah
12-21-2006, 07:06 PM
This again. Who gives a damn anymore? This guy could have just recycled countless other articles spouting off about the same thing year after year, but to say that Tim damages the leagues reputation? Ridiculous.

This is an easily noticeable attempt to stir up some shit. He must have had a slide in number of readers who give a shit about his writing.

I just read the article, and I feel ashamed for doing it.
He actually has Tim Duncan being boring in a list of things that hurt the NBA with such notables as the Palace brawl,
Kobe's rape case, the Latrell Sprewell choking incident, and the "jailblazers" era.

I'm pissed at myself for even reading it.

judaspriestess
12-21-2006, 07:09 PM
this is the exact type of mentality David Stern is concerned with. I'm sure this guy would consider a shootout with guns an exciting game.

If fans are soooo hung up on watching some one with "fizz" then they are going to bet bored watching the game altogether. A player cannot be "fizz" all the time. What an offensive argument

TDMVPDPOY
12-21-2006, 07:10 PM
htf fuck is tim duncans low post moves, bank shots, turn around hooks, take it in the lane are boring? this jackass doesnt know shit about bball.

lets phitb, yeh put him in the butt :D

thispego
12-21-2006, 07:11 PM
:lol

thispego
12-21-2006, 07:11 PM
mad dog's the shit you racist bastard

dknights411
12-21-2006, 08:01 PM
Boring? Yes. Champion? Yes.

Champion beats boring anyday.

boutons_
12-21-2006, 08:17 PM
Forrester is retarded.

phyzik
12-21-2006, 08:24 PM
mad dog's the shit you racist bastard

http://www.myattphoto.com/maddog.jpg

White trash drinks it too!!! :lol

baseline bum
12-21-2006, 08:44 PM
What a bunch of bullshit. If people don't like watching Tim Duncan's game, then why the fuck does he keep getting voted into the All-Star game as a starter? Case closed. Paul Forrester is a moron.

dbreiden83080
12-21-2006, 09:31 PM
Most of this shit Duncan takes is because of where he plays. If he was winning 3 titles with the Knicks or the Lakers the boring lable would not be heard nearly as much. You can't win anymore with the media anyway. If you play the game the right way and stay out of trouble, you are boring. If you challenge authority and play with flash you are labeled a lousy role model.

samikeyp
12-21-2006, 09:32 PM
Boring? Yes. Champion? Yes.

Champion beats boring anyday.

:tu :tu

Mr.Bottomtooth
12-21-2006, 10:02 PM
Don't worry. It'll be exciting once we're in the finals. :)

bdictjames
12-21-2006, 10:08 PM
Bullshit

jman3000
12-21-2006, 10:12 PM
timmy should stick to paintball.

Casey
12-21-2006, 10:16 PM
The national media has been labeling Duncan and the Spurs "boring" for years. Nothing new here. For some reason, they have a problem with teams that play good fundamental basketball.

spursaretheone
12-21-2006, 10:28 PM
I think this says it all

http://img226.imageshack.us/img226/8721/713744064ldq0.th.jpg (http://img226.imageshack.us/my.php?image=713744064ldq0.jpg)

milkyway21
12-22-2006, 12:43 AM
the WRITER , who can't think of any topic under the sun except that "Duncan is boring" ..... is BORING :reading

Winnipeg_Spur
12-22-2006, 12:45 AM
I don't get it. Is this "boring" shit some purely basketball, rucker park, flash over substance ideology? I don't remember anyone in the NFL complaining about how boring Tom Brady is...

ShoogarBear
12-22-2006, 01:19 AM
The biggest wounds inflicted on the NBA by far have been by asshole media types like Paul Forrester.

reydawg
12-22-2006, 03:17 AM
If you give a 5-year-old a sip of expensive Bordeaux, he probably won't like it. He wants to drink Kool-Aid or Coke.

If you wiki my high school, for notable recent graduates, they mention some girl who posed in Playboy, but not the guy who clerked for Antonin Scalia.

Same principle.

Pilar's a lot hotter than Evan.

freemeat
12-22-2006, 03:41 AM
This article is retarded...first off, by comparing Duncan to wine, he is saying that he likes "fine wine" and likes un-"boring" basketball. To me, fine wine and solid basketball go hand-in-hand.

In fact, when I sit down to watch a Spurs game (usually I have to do this on my DVR), I make sure I have a fine bottle of wine within arm's reach...not because I love the wine, but because I love to toast great basketball. I've been a student, "ambassador" and teacher of this game, and I usually refer back to the methods of Tim Duncan and the entire organization for pointers.

Once, Timmy mentioned that he tries not to let himself get too high or too low, emotionally, when playing. You'll find him make a great dunk and do a little "Timmy-Shimmy" or get blocked (and frustrated) and just jog back down the floor, occassionally. But that's not like him. Why? It's not the way the game is supposed to be played.

Imagine being a poker player and watching a tournament on TV. What do you want to see? More than likely, you want great bluffs, guys playing cards they don't have, etc...why do us non-poker players watch? We want a Royal Flush and shit like that. We watch because we want excitement...real poker fans watch because they love (and want to learn) the game.

My point? This asshole writer is not a fan of the game. He's a fan of dunks and 3's and buzzer-beaters. If you're a fan of the game, you LOVE Tim Duncan.

velik_m
12-22-2006, 03:51 AM
I don't get it. How can a player be boring? I've seen many games and i never saw a boring player. I've seen boring games, but not boring players. I think this is one of those sayings that gets repeated so many times, it becomes the "truth" - afterall everybody is saying it...

freemeat
12-22-2006, 04:00 AM
But I can't say "fuck him" about this writer...you gotta know what you like. In his case, it's those big plays. In mine (and a lot of others' here), it's about winning championships.

Besides, if you're looking for those big plays and big games, watch the Spurs play the Suns...any time; they will always be rated the best games of the year in the entire league. Watch the Spurs win game 5 against the Pistons...again. Watch game 7...again. Then, when you say Timmy is boring, watch this...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=BSp1vDOfLq4

(brought to you by Spurs21Cowboys22)

B

VaSpursFan
12-22-2006, 09:40 AM
I must be the only one who thinks Duncan is exciting!

you're not alone. he just kills you with his super efficiency. it's a beautiful thing to watch.

mrose31
12-22-2006, 09:53 AM
Who cares about the casual fans that don't watch until the playoffs anyways. I never liked jordan all that much I respected him and new he was the best player but that is it. I have been dedicated spurs fan since 1988 and glad that I don't see a bunch of bulls stickers every any more. I hate bandwagon fans and I could care less about big market teams too. I guess I am a little different I like to see passing and smart smooth playing much more than I like to see someone Dunk.

jiggy
12-22-2006, 10:06 AM
Id pick duncan's boring game over some guard's "flashness" anyday

LilMissSPURfect
12-22-2006, 10:08 AM
boring is the whole EASTERN conference.....someone had mentioned they had to be smacked around to just stay awake....IMO maybe the WIZs keep my attention.....Do they know there AIN't an I in basketball...........geeeeeeesh....I'd rather see timmay take on 3 defenders and score than Kobe run up the floor for an easy 2........THAT's basketball!!!!! Scoring with someone defending you.....!!!!!!!!!!!

jiggy
12-22-2006, 10:18 AM
lol, the top 5 record in the nba are all western teams, the only thing great bout the east this days is lebron james

NO ONE CAN DEFEND DUNCAN 1-on-1 EVER!

Rummpd
12-22-2006, 11:06 AM
It is the mark of a weak *&* writer that he provides no email to give feeback on his inane opinions. If anyone can find one for PF please provide.

da_suns_fan__
12-22-2006, 01:04 PM
Duncan doesn't leave a mark or impression.

After all the years Ive seen him play, not a single highlight immediately comes to mind when I think of Duncan.

You don't watch Duncan and say "Wow, i'll remember that shot/play/block etc. for the rest of my life".

wildbill2u
12-22-2006, 01:09 PM
Duncan is boring and im sure many Spurs fans know that but it doesnt mean he isnt the best player in the league.

If you ask me i think Shaq is the most boring star in the league, what else can he do but two handed dunks and the occasional hook shot?
Actually both these superstars have gotten more boring as they aged.

Duncan seldom faces the basket and drives or makes the long bankshot. Not much fun watching him stand flat footed and pick off a rebound and put it back because he simply tall and big.

Same with Shaq except he never started outside of the paint. He simply was so strong he'd bulldoze over players to the basket and the refs didn't stop him because he was the league's big draw.

Boring yes--but effective

ambchang
12-22-2006, 01:41 PM
Duncan's game is as boring as a point that has been rehashed hundreds of times for the last decade.

v2freak
12-22-2006, 02:49 PM
First off, let me say that Tim Duncan is my favorite player hands-down, and that I love watching him play.

The thing that I can't understand is how Tim Duncan's intrinsic lack of "fizz" matters matters that much at to the overall enjoyment to watching basketball. Basketball is a team sport. I enjoy watching good teams; any team Tim Duncan is on is going to be good, if not great. I don't how or why people watch the Cleveland Cavaliers, the Boston Celtics, or the 76ers. LeBron, Pierce, and Iverson are good players, but watching a whole game of terrible team basketball just to see one or two fantastic plays from superstars is my idea of a snoozefest. The 76ers might be the most boring team in all of sports over the past few years this side of Mali's waterpolo team. :sleep

The Celtics work more like a team than the Spurs IMO, but they have players whose skills aren't as refined.

VaSpursFan
12-22-2006, 03:04 PM

After all the years Ive seen him play, not a single highlight immediately comes to mind when I think of Duncan.

You don't watch Duncan and say "Wow, i'll remember that shot/play/block etc. for the rest of my life".

that's the beauty of his game. he just kicks your ass in such an understated manner. no highlights, just a good old fashioned ass kicking and when it matters, with all the marbles on the line, he'll pull an almost quadruple double out of his repertoire. a thing of beauty, no flash needed.

Texas_Ranger
12-22-2006, 04:17 PM
The man who wrote the story about this must be very stupid.

Obstructed_View
12-22-2006, 04:40 PM
Wins are never boring. Championships are never boring. Big baskets in the clutch are never boring.

da_suns_fan__
12-22-2006, 08:52 PM
I think he was trying to explain why the NBA went into a slump in the post Jordan era.

One of the reasons is that when the Lakers weren't winning championships, the Spurs were. Duncan is not a draw. Don't take it so personal, he's just not that exciting to watch unless he's on your team....

dbreiden83080
12-22-2006, 10:53 PM

That right there is part of the problem that perception. Yeah people remember guys like Vince Carter and MCgrady that make all the those memorable plays yet have never nor will they ever win jack shit.