PDA

View Full Version : Pietrus

JPB
12-22-2006, 05:05 AM
Since James White doesn't seem to be a short term solution, what do you think of Golden State's Michael Pietrus ? I know his name has be mentioned several times but,

Long, athletic SF and he's young. Focused on defense, hardnosed and can shoot the tree (remind me someone... Bruce ?)

His future in GS was incertain at the begining of the season but "unfortunately" he's improved a lot, since. So I'm not sure whether the warriors would still trade him. But from what he can read, they really need a PF (Scola ?).

Could it possible to bring in him this year ?

That would be a great move.

What do you think ?

ChumpDumper
12-22-2006, 05:13 AM
What would Nelson want from us?

It takes two to tango.

JPB
12-22-2006, 05:18 AM
Scola's rights + beno (they don't need an PG but they could land him somewhere else for something they do need)

SenorSpur
12-22-2006, 05:19 AM
I know he's starting now for the Warriors and last I read was that Nelson really loves the kid. Either way, Nelson wouldn't just give him away because he and Pop are friends.

ChumpDumper
12-22-2006, 05:19 AM
They don't need Scola either.

SenorSpur
12-22-2006, 05:21 AM
They don't need Scola either.

I wish Nelson would take Scola off the Spurs hands.

Maybe Pop can "talk up his value"

JPB
12-22-2006, 05:33 AM
I know he's starting now for the Warriors and last I read was that Nelson really loves the kid. Either way, Nelson wouldn't just give him away because he and Pop are friends.

Maybe for some good old whine, he would :toast

Nelson said at the beginning of the season he was impressed by what MP showed him. And Ridcharson injuries means more PT for him. But whith Monta Ellis stepping up and the return of Jrich, what will happen ?

MP was not happy last year when he was not playing enough.

TDMVPDPOY
12-22-2006, 06:20 AM
then we probably have to take back one of there nasty contracts...

venitian navigator
12-22-2006, 06:21 AM
I like the potential of Pietrus...and the idea of a stronger connection San Antonio France!
If G.S. trade Dunleavy for Maggette (that I suppose is probable), they could decide to sell him to us or to the best offert they receive...Maggette, imho, is quite like the same kind of player of Pietrus.
He makes 2.500.000 buck a year...what about Bonner (alone or with second choices and/or Udrih) ? he's the kind of big that Nellie could like, more effective at PF than Dunleavy for rebounding and with a better 3 pt shoot...and makes 2.000.000 a year.
I'd stil like to have Scola in our team next year (for a stronger San Antonio/Argentina connection)...

dg7md
12-22-2006, 07:01 AM
Bonner/whoever for Pietrus.

JPB
12-22-2006, 07:03 AM
I like the potential of Pietrus...and the idea of a stronger connection San Antonio France!
If G.S. trade Dunleavy for Maggette (that I suppose is probable), they could decide to sell him to us or to the best offert they receive...Maggette, imho, is quite like the same kind of player of Pietrus.
He makes 2.500.000 buck a year...what about Bonner (alone or with second choices and/or Udrih) ? he's the kind of big that Nellie could like, more effective at PF than Dunleavy for rebounding and with a better 3 pt shoot...and makes 2.000.000 a year.
I'd stil like to have Scola in our team next year (for a stronger San Antonio/Argentina connection)...

I thought about Bonner too. It's hard to say what he can bring to SA considering he's not playing much.

We also have rebounding issues.

Nellie asked Michael to concentrate on boards. he's averaging 5.3 so far, for 31.3 MPG.

boutons_
12-22-2006, 08:21 AM
"Nelson wouldn't just give him away because he and Pop are friends."

bullshit. Nellie owes Pop big for Pop tanking the 82nd game of 2003 @ATT so Nellie could get his first and only 60W season. :lol

xapatan2
12-22-2006, 10:24 AM
Pietrus would be a big big steal...

He has the potential to learn everything from Bruce in defense, he's a fighter, he takes pride in defense, and he's very athletic...

Pop would be perfect for him to finish the build of his collective spirit, because he has the need for a "severe" but loyal mentor as Pop can be and has been ( and still is) for Tony for example.

I remember the last Euro in september where he showed at one time a lack of collective spirit because he was not a starter or having enough "tickets shot" and Pop would be great for him on that point.

and he has the potential to be a productive scorer...

Big big steal... a future Second then first team in all NBA defense award.

Xap'

JPB
12-22-2006, 10:46 AM
I remember the last Euro in september where he showed at one time a lack of collective spirit because he was not a starter or having enough "tickets shot" and Pop would be great for him on that point.

and he has the potential to be a productive scorer...

Big big steal... a future Second then first team in all NBA defense award.

Xap'

You mean the last world championships, right ?

It's true he has some personnality, ala Stephen Jackson, and he suffered with the french team from being in the shadow of Tony and Boris Diaw. He's also know for being the funny guy who likes to make jokes in the locker room. :tongue

I agree with you, he has very good defensive potential while being able to produce on offense.

In fact, the more I think about him, the more I believe he's very similar to Stephen.

xapatan2
12-22-2006, 11:08 AM
Yes, sorry, i was meaning the last world championship... !

(:smokin :smokin ) and (:downspin: :downspin: )

For me, he's similar too Bruce too, mainly for the "Defense Spirit"... he has is and he loves it.

But Sjax, yes i agree, he can score and there are some similitudes in their respective behaviour.

Xap

mountainballer
12-22-2006, 12:02 PM
jezzzz.
another trade proposal for a very talented player (who would be a great fit, no doubt) guessing he can be had for crap.
if Pietrus further improves on offense, he has all-star potential. the way he improved under Nelson this year, he will he a legit canditate for the MIP (with Ellis and Biedrins also from the Warriors).as if Nelson didn't know that.
ayear ago Pietrus might have been possible to get for the right price.
(even then not for Scola rights+ Beno)

if Spurs want to get a player who might be available they should look to Seattle and ask what it takes to get Gelabale. he is a bit of what Pietrus was in his first year. maybe not as much potential, but also very intriguing!

Rummpd
12-22-2006, 12:11 PM
Gee with all the supposed talent on the Warriors how come they lose as much as they win? Nellie ball helps inflate stats period.

JPB
12-22-2006, 12:16 PM
jezzzz.
another trade proposal for a very talented player (who would be a great fit, no doubt) guessing he can be had for crap.
if Pietrus further improves on offense, he has all-star potential. the way he improved under Nelson this year, he will he a legit canditate for the MIP (with Ellis and Biedrins also from the Warriors).as if Nelson didn't know that.
ayear ago Pietrus might have been possible to get for the right price.
(even then not for Scola rights+ Beno)

if Spurs want to get a player who might be available they should look to Seattle and ask what it takes to get Gelabale. he is a bit of what Pietrus was in his first year. maybe not as much potential, but also very intriguing!

Agree.

that's why I said he's "unfortunetaly" playing very well so far, this year.
But you also have to consider GS roster wich is full of goods guards (Baron, J-rich, Ellis, Pietrus...)

Gelabale is intriguing to me too. honestly, I was wondering if he was made for
NBA. I'm still wondering...I hope he is. But he certainly doesn't have the same mentality than Pietrus who is more of a fighter. Gelabale is much more introverted.

Bruno
12-22-2006, 02:04 PM
No more frenchies.
Spurs have enough "white flag" players.
Parker give up each year for the playoff.
Mahinmi has given up even if he hasn't played in nba.

Spurs need american players, no more foreigners.

stéphane
12-22-2006, 03:01 PM
No more frenchies.
Spurs have enough "white flag" players.
Parker give up each year for the playoff.
Mahinmi has given up even if he hasn't played in nba.

Spurs need american players, no more foreigners.

haha
tell me being a jerk need a lot of training? :santahat

stéphane
12-22-2006, 03:07 PM
oh and btw gelabale is way more of the "bruce bowen's type" than pietrus.
honestly pietrus is good baller but man he's really REALLY cocky, no way he would fit in the spurs locker room...

El_Mago
12-22-2006, 03:14 PM
This is not happening.

The Warriors already have a Scola clone in Ike Diogu. He's a low post threat and a better rebounder, and has the upside.

Pietrus is going to look for the MLE. He is talented, a great perimeter defender, can shoot the three, and can possibly break out in a better team and a better system.

The Spurs have a salary cap plan that is going to take them into 2010. They are no longer going to be looking for long term contracts from here on out...ala....the cheap and short term contracts of Elson and Butler.

This will more than likely rule out Scola for the future (long term contract wise...will ask for too much money), but do not rule out Ian, Sanikidze, or Javtokas. For the simple fact that Ian will be on a cheap rookie contract and Sanikidze and Javtokas were 2nd rounders that do not have big buy-out contracts, so their contracts can be more easily negotitated.

JPB
12-22-2006, 03:19 PM
oh and btw gelabale is way more of the "bruce bowen's type" than pietrus.
honestly pietrus is good baller but man he's really REALLY cocky, no way he would fit in the spurs locker room...

sorry, but Gelabale is much less defensive-minded than Pietrus. he's no real swingman either.

I agree with the locker room issue. He has not the typical Spurs profile from this aspect. But he could bring some madness and make Spurs less boring at times ;)

itzsoweezee
12-22-2006, 03:48 PM
there's no way golden state is getting ride of pietrus. even mullin isn't that dumb. i'm sure they'd love to get rid of that scrub dunleavy though.

Bruno
12-22-2006, 04:50 PM
Comparing Pietrus' character with Jackson's one is a little hard for Pietrus.
Pietrus isn't the perfect team player but he is far from being a headcase like Jackson.

About Pietrus and Gelabale :
Pietrus has for him his body. He is a great athlete and his athletism help him to play lock down defense. Gelabale is a quite good athlete too but he isn't at Pietrus' level.
Gelabale on the other end has a better BBIQ. Gelabale feels the game better than Pietrus. It's a little like the difference between Finley and Barry.

Bruno
12-22-2006, 04:50 PM
haha
tell me being a jerk need a lot of training? :santahat

It's quite easy, you should try. :)

RS189
12-22-2006, 05:50 PM
I dont get why you guys always make threads wanting to trade for good young players and think the other team will take crap for them... I dont think anyone wants bonner or beno unless they're trading you crap

Mr. Body
12-23-2006, 01:55 AM
Stand with the guys here saying this kind of proposal is insulting to Golden State. Here is a list of guys who would be sweet in Spurs' uniforms playing the SF:

Mickael Pietrus
Andres Nocioni
Josh Childress
Gerald Wallace

The chances of getting any of them? 0%.

Not with our meager assortment of cheap baubles. We're not going to get starter-quality anything with the crap we have. Either we pull a third-rate SF from somewhere or we sign someone in the offseason (crossing fingers while it happens) or we get the guy through the draft. Pietrus will not be a Spur. He is too expensive for us.