PDA

View Full Version : Grades vs Lakers 11/05

Nikos
11-06-2004, 05:12 PM
Here are my grades for the Laker game. I missed a few min in the beginning but saw most of it. Please feel free to give your grades or disagreements about a players grade, and I’ll average them in. Again I am trying to get grades for every game, so if you can chip in on the non-televised games that would be cool cause I don't get most Spurs games :depressed

TONY PARKER (93) – Had a hot start. Scored very efficiently, passed the ball well. One play I remember where he almost turned completely around to spot an open Manu for 3. I never really seen him make a pass like that, normally last season that would have been a shot or an attempted foray to the hoop in traffic. Even though Manu missed it TP made good decisions in terms of when to score and when to pass. Defense was reasonable except letting Atkins hit a corner three that helped cut the deficit, but that’s nitpicking. Heck of a game from Parker without even needing many shot attempts. If he could play similar to this most games, that would be awesome.

MANU GINOBILI (89) – Looked like himself, got a little sloppy in the beginning with the ball – would turn it over a few times right after stealing the ball but that’s forgivable. Helped give the team separation with some small scoring bursts in the first and third. Didn’t score too efficiently but had his moments where he made some nice plays on offense. Made some good passes. Had a huge steal on Kobe towards the end to kind of stop the Lakers run, had a solid block and generally did well on Kobe in spurts. Very solid overall game aside from the turnovers and the missed three point shots.

TIM DUNCAN (92) – Good game from Tim. Played great D, got in a bit of foul trouble, but generally came up with big baskets that helped the team maintain the lead. No one could stop him when he wanted to score or attack. Was shaky at the FT line, but aside from that a typical dominant Tim Duncan game despite being in foul trouble.

BRUCE BOWEN (86) – Solid defense from Bowen. Couldn’t convert the layup after TP’s pass on the fastbreak, could see it coming but just didn’t feel he did too much to keep the offense smooth. He shot reasonably, but at times didn’t always want him in the game despite his good D on Kobe. Had a solid block on Kobe. Good overall game, just wasn’t anything special on offense relative to the team.

RASHO NESTEROVIC (91) – Very good game from Rasho for the most part. Missed an easy bucket or two underneath but his outside shot was money. He hit some big shots to stop runs during the game as well. He was being setup reasonably well by Manu, Barry, and Beno and it showed in how confident he shot it. Props to him for hitting those shots. Last season I didn’t see him make those type of shots consistently, nor take them for that matter. Helped seal the game with the two HUGE offensive rebound/tap backs. Played good D and got a nice block on Kobe on the right wing. Made a nice pass to Manu too. Very smooth overall play from Rasho.

Brent Barry (90) – Very solid offensive game. Didn’t shoot lights out, but moved very effectively away from the ball and passed extremely well. Had 5 assists and 0 turnovers. When Brent, Manu, Beno were on the floor the passing was incredible. Brent thus far has been very efficient in his offense and has also made other players around him a bit better as well. Missed an open dunk and a few threes but generally was solid.

Robert Horry (82)– had a decent stint off the bench on offense, moved well and passed well. Scored a bit. His defense on Odom and in general was kind of weak from what I saw.

Beno Udrih (91) – Came in and kept the offense running smoothly. Moved well off the ball, created a few easy shots for his teammates. The best was the pass to Barry for 3. His shot looks off still and he did look like he hesitated a bit in terms of attacking in traffic for a layup, but did his job in 10 minutes of play. 4pts 4asts 0To’s in 10 min is basically all you can ask for when backing up TP. Only reason he doesn’t get an A was his slight hesitation on his shot and taking it to the basket for his own shot.

Malik Rose (INC) – didn’t really get in

Devin Brown (INC) -same as Malik

Popovich (92) Did well with the rotation. Gave Beno a chance to play key minutes and it paid off. Also seem to get some offense out of Horry when they had that 5 man passing unit in. Probably saw how well the team was passing it and decided to go with Horry over Malik. It seemed to work tonight, but who knows what Rose would have done?

Their was some complacency and laziness in spots for the Spurs, but they generally made plays when they had to. Overall the team played well and put on a passing clinic that was refreshing to watch. Looked very crisp offensively inside and out. Hopefully they can keep this up consistently.

**Again feel free to add your own comments, grades and I will average them in with mine most likely and enter them in the spreadsheet. Comments are welcome.

timvp
11-06-2004, 05:21 PM
I'll write out my review/grades in a little bit.

missmyzte
11-06-2004, 06:35 PM
Anyone curious as to why Horry played last night instead of Malik I know why. It's because I was there and Pop was trying to make it up to me that I flew all the way to San Antonio just for Horry to not play in the game I went to see.

Okay, just kidding.

But Robert did play very well last night and I greatly enjoyed that. See my game recap and pictures at my site (is it okay to post that Kori?).

Kori Ellis
11-06-2004, 06:37 PM
Post your link Misty. I have no problem with that! :)

TodTango called me from the game and he said he saw you talking to Parker pre-game. What was TP saying?

missmyzte
11-06-2004, 06:41 PM
Okay, it's a full game recap plus my conversations with the players and .......
92 pictures.

www.mistilynn.com/game11-05-04.htm (http://www.mistilynn.com/game11-05-04.htm)

Yes, I did speak with Tony before the game. He had seen the video I'd made for him and wrote a note to me on his web site. When he walked by I said, "Tony, I'm the one that made the video for you." He stopped, turned around, and said, "You're the one?" :spin I gave him a copy of the video, as well as the Tim Duncan vid I made and the "It's Game Time" video. I gave Tim Duncan a disk of these as well and Robert Horry a disk especially for him including a few more.

Kori Ellis
11-06-2004, 06:46 PM
Thanks Misti. How do you get so much player access? Doesn't security bug you?

SLOVENIAN 8
11-06-2004, 06:50 PM
Tnx!!! :spin You are the -- :king >

xcoriate
11-06-2004, 06:58 PM
Whoa awesome work Misti, good to see you getting some recognition from the players.

missmyzte
11-06-2004, 06:58 PM
Thanks Misti. How do you get so much player access? Doesn't security bug you?

I've gotten to know a couple of the people that work there and the ones I don't know I quickly get to know so they let me roam about pretty freely. Plus several of the guys have gotten to know me, like Brian Cook and Sean Marks, and I had people coming up to me that have seen my reports online so security figured it was fine to let me go.

ducks
11-06-2004, 07:01 PM
cool

Mr. Body
11-06-2004, 08:08 PM
Beno Udrih (91) – Came in and kept the offense running smoothly. Moved well off the ball, created a few easy shits for his teammates.

:lol :lol :lol

(I know, I'm a child.)

E20
11-06-2004, 08:46 PM
I was happy how everybody played. The only thing that needs improving is TO's and Ginobili was the only one that needs to play more careful with 5 TO's. I want to see some more of Devin Brown and Malik Rose the minutes aren't getting distrubted IMO.

timvp
11-07-2004, 05:49 AM
Tim Duncan
He was powerful downlow and set the tone for the game. He's doing a great job of playing off the ball this year and letting the other players create.
GRADE: 95
SEASON: 96.5

Bruce Bowen
Played Kobe very well defensively. He was physical with him and didn't let him catch too much of a rhythm. On offense, Bowen hasn't caught on so far this season.
GRADE: 89
SEASON: 86

Rasho Nesterovic
Rasho may be turning the corner, after all. He played well versus the Lakers, hitting big shots and getting huge offensive rebounds. If he can be a consistent force next to Duncan, the Spurs will be that much tougher to beat.
GRADE: 92
SEASON: 88.5

Manu Ginobili
He played awesome in the first game of the season and carried it over to the second game. He's playing loose and free and becoming a dominating force. Right now, he's at an all-star level.
GRADE: 98
SEASON: 99

Tony Parker
Bounced back from his tough shooting opener to record a fine game against the Lakers. He attacked early and often, while shredding the Lakers' defense. He still has room to improve as a playmaker, though.
GRADE: 92
SEASON: 77

Brent Barry
Barry is living up to all of the dreams of Spurs fans. He's proving to be the perfect compliment to go with Duncan, Parker and Ginobili. Versus the Lakers, he passed the ball incredibly well and make some timely shots.
GRADE: 95
SEASON: 92.5

Robert Horry
After not doing much in this season to date, he came up with a solid game against the Lakers. Matched up with Lamar Odom, he held his own defensively. On offense, he made a couple of nifty passes that led to easy buckets.
GRADE: 88
SEASON: 81.5

Beno Udrih
Four points and four assists in ten minutes is as good as it gets for a rookie backup point guard playing on the road against the Lakers. His movement without the ball was great and his court vision continues to impress.
GRADE: 90
SEASON: 85

RobinsontoDuncan
11-07-2004, 09:39 AM
Beno Udrih
Four points and four assists in ten minutes is as good as it gets for a rookie backup point guard playing on the road against the Lakers. His movement without the ball was great and his court vision continues to impress.
GRADE: 90
SEASON: 85

I really like this kid

picnroll
11-07-2004, 10:06 AM
Pending health issues and Udrih showing he can shoot in the NBA this guy is a great fit. He has terrific PG skills but he's also excellent with off the ball movement. The combo of he Manu, and Barry on the floor together give the Spurs three high IQ, high triple threat skill players who can play be devasting on the floor together.

Sportcamper
11-07-2004, 01:05 PM
I really don’t know what all the celebration is about...The Lakers are without “3” starters...

7-1, 260 lb Vlade Divac....
6-10, 250 lb Slava Medvedenko...
6-8 240 lb Devean George....

Tim Duncan had one easy basket after another...

That’s like celebrating beating the Detroit Pistons without Ben Wallace, Chauncey Billups and Tayshaun Prince... :lol

ChumpDumper
11-07-2004, 01:09 PM
Thinking any of those guys could stop Duncan is the acme of lunacy.

Seek help.

Rick Von Braun
11-07-2004, 01:17 PM
Thinking any of those guys could stop Duncan is the acme of lunacy.

Seek help.http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/lmao.gif

Iron Giant
11-07-2004, 01:56 PM
I really don’t know what all the celebration is about...The Lakers are without “3” starters...

Vlade couldn't stop Tim with the help he had on the Kings last year (Brad Miller)..thinking he'll do better this year is sheer lunacy. Try another pipe, dude, the one you've got is giving you bad dreams....

Brodels
11-07-2004, 02:01 PM
I just got around to watching the game this morning. Good win.

Beno really knows how to play on the offensive end. He kept things running smoothly and he moved without the ball. I am concerned about his defense, though. He had trouble with that, and he wasn't guarding Kidd or Cassell or Marbury.

I'm with Timvp and others that argued in another thread that Barry should get less minutes and Brown should get more. If Brown gets 12 - 18 minutes per game it will help him develop and Barry will stay fresher. I also hope that Rose gets a chance to show what he can do, even against athletic forwards like Odom.

Sportcamper
11-07-2004, 02:43 PM
Medvedenko, Divac... (http://www.latimes.com/sports/basketball/nba/lakers/la-sp-lakerrep7nov07,1,3018506.story?coll=la-headlines-sports-nba-lakers) :angel

We let Tim Duncan get some easy baskets," Divac said. "You have to learn to trust that your teammates will be there, that even when you make a mistake, you know someone [is covering] behind your back...

ShoogarBear
11-07-2004, 03:36 PM
I call BS on this whole "high basketball IQ" thing. It's just a code word for "white", and I'm getting fed up with it.

Tim Duncan is the smartest player on the Spurs, and NOBODY ever says he has a "high basektball IQ". Likewise Robert Horry has always been as smart on the court as they come, but nobody says it about him either.

Meanwhile, Manu will always make more than his share of dumb plays.

Nikos
11-07-2004, 05:28 PM
Likewise Robert Horry has always been as smart on the court as they come, but nobody says it about him either.

I have always known Horry to be a smart player since his Houston days. On other boards I have seen him been labeled as so.

I don't really have a problem with the IQ Tag as long as the player has good vision and can make good passes. To me there is a difference between someone who is a turnover/mistake avoider and someone who takes risks but can also make good plays that most others don't try or are simply incapable of making.

Ginobili or a Barry might make a lot of turnovers, and some boneheaded plays (Manu more so), but that doesn't take away from the fact that he is a good passer with vision.

Scottie Pippen was known as a very good passer and had a high IQ, but I remember him making some pretty risky/bad passes and decisions himself. Same goes with great swingmen passers of the past like Clyde Drexler. Some tried some stupid passes, but you could sense they had good vision despite this.

mattyc
11-08-2004, 01:04 AM

6-10, 250 lb Slava Medvedenko...
6-8 240 lb Devean George....

Tim Duncan had one easy basket after another...

That’s like celebrating beating the Detroit Pistons without Ben Wallace, Chauncey Billups and Tayshaun Prince... :lol
Comparing Wallace, Billups and Prince to Divac, Medvedenko and George. You are drunk.