PDA

View Full Version : Issue With The Rotation

timvp
11-06-2004, 05:19 PM
Sorry to rain on the parade but I have a slight problem with the rotation that Pop is using so far this season. I appreciate what Brent Barry brings to the floor, however playing him more than thirty minutes per game is a mistake. He’s 32 going on 33 and to play him that much this early is just asking for trouble.

Ideally, Barry would average around 25 minutes per game to ensure that he’ll be able to keep this same energy level throughout the playoffs. Remember, he hasn’t played in May in his career … so even if 31.5 minutes per game doesn’t sound like a lot, this year is going to be unlike any year he’s been through.

The Spurs have Devin Brown on the bench who proved in last year’s playoffs and in this year’s preseason that he’s ready for the big time. Knock Barry’s minutes down to about 25, keep Ginobili at around 30 and Bowen at around 28, and give the extra minutes to Brown. He’s not going to hurt you on the court, plus he’ll help keep the other three fresh for the marathon.

In the playoffs, I’d agree with this eight man rotation that Pop is employing. But in November, it’s a little bit of an overkill. Keep the guys fresh, keep developing Brown and you can still go out there and win 60 games.

ChumpDumper
11-06-2004, 05:25 PM
He's going with what works at the time -- hence very little Malik, for example. Bench mimutes will be fluctuating wildly these first few months.

ducks
11-06-2004, 05:25 PM
oh I thought you were going to say you had a issue with rose playing 2 minutes last night

ducks
11-06-2004, 05:26 PM
I think he may want to see what barry can due early incase they feel they need to trade for someone else

ChumpDumper
11-06-2004, 05:28 PM
I don't really have a problem with Barry's playing 30mpg -- the only reason he didn't perform well the last time he was in the playoffs was because he had a wicked rash.

Solid D
11-06-2004, 05:35 PM
Yeah, I would have liked to see more minutes for Devin and Malik, for that matter. Rasho was playing very well but he played a lot of minutes, too.

I think Brent was creating lots of space. The Lakers were trying to trap him on the two-man game out on the wing but he was able to pass out of it very well and even create some slash and drive opportunities for Manu and Tony. He also delivered some beautiful passes to Timmy off screen/rolls under strong pressure.

timvp
11-06-2004, 05:39 PM
He's going with what works at the time -- hence very little Malik, for example. Bench mimutes will be fluctuating wildly these first few months.

I haven't seen him really even think about putting in Brown. Pop looks pretty set about running Manu, Bowen and Barry as his three-man rotation.

Horry over Rose had me scratching my head as well, but I guess Horry matches up better with Odom. It's not a good sign to see that Horry only got one rebound in all the time he was on the court.

Hopefully Rose gets the minutes against the teams that don't start a small forward at power forward (pretty much any team other than the Lakers).

ChumpDumper
11-06-2004, 05:43 PM
Rose was first off the bench, but it was apparent that it wasn't a good matchup for him. Hell, it's not a good matchup for Horry either. Get well soon, Lint.

I think Devin would've had some burn had Bowen gotten into foul trouble earlier. It's going to be very difficult to pass up the kind of ball movement we get when we play Manu and Barry together.

ducks
11-06-2004, 05:44 PM
is pop not going to play brown so the spurs do not have spend alot of money on him to resign him?

timvp
11-06-2004, 05:46 PM
is pop not going to play brown so the spurs do not have spend alot of money on him to resign him?

Good piont, Ducks.

I've thought of this and it could very well be something Pop has under consideration. Play him sporadically and other teams aren't going to be willing to give him a huge deal.

ducks
11-06-2004, 05:50 PM
they can also say they will play him more because barry will be one more year older

but we shall see

after 15 games we will know more

JUUOT
11-06-2004, 06:06 PM
I agree, we can not judge on two games. I f you look at the schedule you see that the 3 first game are not close but during november things are getting serious. Pop wanted to set the rythm to give a good start, but in games to come he will give Devin and Malik more playing time. He showed us before he was able to manage exhausted players and give them a rest.

I will wait the end of november to make my judgement

RobinsontoDuncan
11-06-2004, 06:14 PM
Also, TimVP, i would like to add that many of the minutes that Barry is eating up could also be split with Beno Udrih whom i was very diappointed in not seeing much of friday night

spurster
11-06-2004, 10:14 PM
I guess Barry is going to get some minutes to get acclamated to the team, then more minutes will go to Brown.

spursfaninla
11-06-2004, 10:44 PM
I guess Barry is going to get some minutes to get acclamated to the team, then more minutes will go to Brown.

Pretty much my thought; get Barry to know his place and how to play with everyone with a good number of minutes, then reduce them to keep him from wearing down.

Brown will get his time this year, I'm not worried. And if he doesn't get many, its because the other 3 are playing so well that he couldn't do any better anyway.

Remember how we used to worry about having a 4 player swingman rotation? Now that we have (mostly) 3, and when most teams have (mainly) a 3 man rotation, now people have to worry about finding minutes for brown...

whottt
11-07-2004, 01:36 AM
I agree, Barry's minutes do need to be watched, we don't want Smitty part 2. Rest those legs to keep that J fresh...I think it's right that the Spurs are just trying to get him acclimated to the role and team as quickly as possible. This team has enough depth, unlike past years, to where no one should be over played, including Duncan. I kinda think he is being used to give Bowen rest as well...an idea I like.

I'm still a bit nervous about getting too reliant on Beno...it's obvious he's a good smart player...you can see his polish and poise aleady...but he's been so fragile so far, I bet that has a lot to do with the Spurs taking it slowly with him. I'm almost more worried about his minutes than Barry's.

Man In Black
11-07-2004, 02:41 AM
It's not a J that Barry shoots from the arc. That is a pure, free & easy set shot that swishes like a raindrop. If it's tired legs, it's fron his forays into the lane with the attempt at the dunk. I'll take a layup too Brent. It works for Manu and it'll work for you to.

Play him early and often to get a feel for the play sets and then move those other core-bench players in as the season progresses. Then EVERYBODY WILL BE ON THE SAME PAGE :)