PDA

View Full Version : So, remind me

ShoogarBear
12-22-2006, 11:34 PM
Who was it who said that the first game vs. the Rockets was not proof that Houston was a threat?

SequSpur
12-22-2006, 11:38 PM
I don't understand why Bonzi Wells wasn't heavily pursued after he singlehandedly almost beat the spurs in the first round.

dude would have his number retired in the ATT center if he was here.

Another Pop fuck up.

JamStone
12-22-2006, 11:41 PM
Because Bonzi thought he was worth $10 million a year, and the most any legitimate suitor had to offer was the MLE. Bozo priced himself out. But, as long as he stays on his best behavior and continues to play solid, he'll get some offers this summer. But, he might again have to take less because there aren't many teams that will be able to afford $10 million a year, and right now, no team has his Bird rights, so he pretty much screwed himself when he didn't take Sacramento's offer this summer.

SequSpur
12-22-2006, 11:43 PM
So waste 6 million on 2 shitty centers, extend Beno. I get it.

boutons_
12-23-2006, 12:05 AM
Not me. I've seen so many Rockets games where they couldn't score for shit, but tonight they were shooting very well, and spooked the Spurs jumpshooters, and they shut down the paint. They probably had the motivation that we stole the W from them in Houston.

No McGrady, no Yao in 2nd half, Spurs still get embarrassed and blown out.

dg7md
12-23-2006, 12:05 AM
That was a huge fluke game. Houston was just on and ready to play. They were due for a win in SA.

timvp
12-23-2006, 12:06 AM
If it wasn't for a fluke comeback, the Spurs would have gotten blown out by the Rockets twice this season.

ShoogarBear
12-23-2006, 12:07 AM
Uh, don't look now, but Houston has completely kicked the Spurs asses in in 6.5 of 8 quarters this year.

ShoogarBear
12-23-2006, 12:08 AM
Oh, and in none of them have they been at full strength.

Solid D
12-23-2006, 12:11 AM
Battier did a nice job on Manu, tonight, as well.

milkyway21
12-23-2006, 01:04 AM
i asked once: how the Spurs stop this one giant.
It was successful the last time.
tonight the Spurs had no answer.

http://images.sportsline.com/u/photos/basketball/nba/img9887794.jpg
YAO: at last after nine yrs. Give me five! :oops

xamila rey
12-23-2006, 01:15 AM
Elson cannot defend Yao, period.
Oberto got in foul trouble too soon.
fist time i miss Rasho

Cant_Be_Faded
12-23-2006, 01:19 AM
Houston is the top contender imo, much better defensively than dallas and better all around team

i think in our division, right now its
houston
dallas
sa

we need to fix our D dammit

THE SIXTH MAN
12-23-2006, 01:24 AM
Houston is the top contender imo, much better defensively than dallas and better all around team

houston
dallas
sa

WTF, better defensively? Hows that when they've lost their last couple of games after blowing big leads in the fourth.

itzsoweezee
12-23-2006, 01:32 AM
Elson cannot defend Yao, period.
Oberto got in foul trouble too soon.
fist time i miss Rasho

no one can defend yao. lets not put this on elson.

the problem was, outside of tony and manu, the spurs couldnt score

E20
12-23-2006, 02:12 AM
Battier did a nice job on Manu, tonight, as well.
Manu had 23 points on 8-13 shooting. He looked like he was gonna go off on the Rockets for a possible comeback, but Pop had to send in the white flag.

And another thing.

Shit Tim Duncan, yeah you're the MVP and we love you, but you're getting too lazy. You take it so easy because you expect Tony or Manu to handle the scoring load. Jeez can't you get your ass on track early score a bunch of points, build up a lead then take it easy the whole 4th quarter on the bench. I loved it how when Tim got in around ~10ish in the 4th and after the whistle blew for 10 seconds he pulled a Nazr and dunked the ball emhpatically. I laughed my ass off and thought we needed that during the 1st half.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
12-23-2006, 04:03 AM
no one can defend yao. lets not put this on elson.

the problem was, outside of tony and manu, the spurs couldnt score
The other Spurs missed some pretty easy shots and/or took stupid shots because of the defensive pressure.

but the Rockets just kept making them one after the other!!

They got into the paint at will!

upTD
12-23-2006, 04:43 AM
Manu had 23 points on 8-13 shooting. He looked like he was gonna go off on the Rockets for a possible comeback, but Pop had to send in the white flag.

And another thing.

Shit Tim Duncan, yeah you're the MVP and we love you, but you're getting too lazy. You take it so easy because you expect Tony or Manu to handle the scoring load. Jeez can't you get your ass on track early score a bunch of points, build up a lead then take it easy the whole 4th quarter on the bench. I loved it how when Tim got in around ~10ish in the 4th and after the whistle blew for 10 seconds he pulled a Nazr and dunked the ball emhpatically. I laughed my ass off and thought we needed that during the 1st half.

shit Argentina

polandprzem
12-23-2006, 05:11 AM
I do agree with Shoog as I was earlier.

Houston just have the weapon to win with the spurs.
Just wait till they will be in full strenght coming into the playoffs with healthy Wells and McGrady.

Thank you goodbye.

Bruno
12-23-2006, 05:41 AM
I like how people draw conclusions after a game that was just an off night.

polandprzem
12-23-2006, 06:08 AM

Well too many off nights recently don't you think?

dirk4mvp
12-23-2006, 06:11 AM

houston
dallas
sa

:dizzy

Bruno
12-23-2006, 06:39 AM
Well too many off nights recently don't you think?

Spure are 9-2 in december, 20-7 overall.

Yesterday, it was the first real off night (first loss of the season by more than 10 points). When you have a 82 games season, you are due for some really bad games : no need to panic.

polandprzem
12-23-2006, 07:35 AM
Spure are 9-2 in december, 20-7 overall.

Yesterday, it was the first real off night (first loss of the season by more than 10 points). When you have a 82 games season, you are due for some really bad games : no need to panic.

It is not a panic.
But what we (you) saw in last few games was pathetic IMO. Letting teams like Phila or Memphis get back into the game? Losing to Houston & Lakers - very important games.

Wow - Oberto is disapearing and that's not good. Tim's got woes on FT line and he can't figure how to make them. He should know that by now.

Maybe they are just wainting for the old balls to come back.
(Hopefully spur will have some balls when playoffs will come).

btw - I'm pissed cause I lost vbooks again (but it is not the reason I'm mad at the spurs)

TDMVPDPOY
12-23-2006, 08:01 AM

no excuses when we had a 3 day break :(

we suck!

Bruno
12-23-2006, 08:10 AM
It is not a panic.
But what we (you) saw in last few games was pathetic IMO. Letting teams like Phila or Memphis get back into the game? Losing to Houston & Lakers - very important games.

Very important games ?
It's december, not april. :)

Spurs' fans look sometimes like spoilt children :
- Spurs aren't light year better than teams like Rockets or Lakers. Spurs need to have a good game to beat them. If they play bad, they are blown out. You had to accept that Spurs aren't the only good team in nba.
- It's a 82 games season, Spurs can't be at 100% for each game and bb is a sport prone to bad nights because shooting isn't a reliable skill.

Losing is never a good thing but a loss in december and some average games isn't the end of the season.

Bruno
12-23-2006, 08:12 AM
no excuses when we had a 3 day break :(

we suck!

Excuse ?
RIF.

polandprzem
12-23-2006, 08:15 AM
Very important games ?
It's december, not april. :)

Spurs' fans look sometimes like spoilt children :
- Spurs aren't light year better than teams like Rockets or Lakers. Spurs need to have a good game to beat them. If they play bad, they are blown out. You had to accept that Spurs aren't the only good team in nba.
- It's a 82 games season, Spurs can't be at 100% for each game and bb is a sport prone to bad nights because shooting isn't a reliable skill.

Losing is never a good thing but a loss in december and some average games isn't the end of the season.

You sounds like a history teacher :dizzy

I know what month of the year is right now.
last year was excactly the same. It;s November, It's december... :blah
And the spurs ended in the 2nd round just because they fucked up some crucial posessions. How to avoid them? Take care of every detail in every game of a season. Why?
Becase taking care of details must to be an automatic when PO time will come.

Bruno
12-23-2006, 08:27 AM
You sounds like a history teacher :dizzy

I know what month of the year is right now.
last year was excactly the same. It;s November, It's december... :blah
And the spurs ended in the 2nd round just because they fucked up some crucial posessions. How to avoid them? Take care of every detail in every game of a season. Why?
Becase taking care of details must to be an automatic when PO time will come.

As I sound as an history teacher :
Last year, Spurs have win 63 games, Pistons have win 64 games and Miami has won the title with only 52 wins in the regular season.

Don't forget : SPAM.
We will start to see if Spurs are in a good shape for the palyoffs jsut after the rodeo road trip.

MannyIsGod
12-23-2006, 08:37 AM
As I sound as an history teacher :
Last year, Spurs have win 63 games, Pistons have win 64 games and Miami has won the title with only 52 wins in the regular season.

Don't forget : SPAM.
We will start to see if Spurs are in a good shape for the palyoffs jsut after the rodeo road trip.Eh, those win numbers are a bad analogy considering the amount of games Shaq missed earlier in the year. A healthy Shaq and they probably top 60 wins also. Who are the Spurs missing?

The Spurs have looked bad against the best teams in the West, Bruno. Regardless of their overall record, they have not looked good yet against Houston, the Lakers, Utah. They've looked OK against Dallas, but its nothing to write home about.

But I honestly do think the most telling thing is that Tim Duncan does look to be in fact playing lazy. Right now this team is riding Manu and Tony. Look at the record when Manu was out. Never before has the buden of this team been so light on Duncan's shoulders and I'm sure that is NOT a good thing for success in the Playoffs.

There are no injury woes for Duncan this year. Dude simply needs to kick it into a higher gear if he can. If he can't, then we simply won't win the title this year. Tony Parker cannot lead this team to a title, Tim will have to do it.

polandprzem
12-23-2006, 09:01 AM
Bruno I was not talking about the amount of wins

I am an NBA fan quite a long time to know what is going on.

btw. Have won

SenorSpur
12-23-2006, 09:13 AM
This team lost by 20 points at home to a supposed inferior opponent that was without one of its best two players - Tracy McGrady. What's wrong with this picture?

Bruno
12-23-2006, 09:49 AM
Eh, those win numbers are a bad analogy considering the amount of games Shaq missed earlier in the year. A healthy Shaq and they probably top 60 wins also. Who are the Spurs missing?

Spurs are 18-4 with Manu.
Spurs are on the road to 61 wins.

But I honestly do think the most telling thing is that Tim Duncan does look to be in fact playing lazy. Right now this team is riding Manu and Tony. Look at the record when Manu was out. Never before has the buden of this team been so light on Duncan's shoulders and I'm sure that is NOT a good thing for success in the Playoffs.

There are no injury woes for Duncan this year. Dude simply needs to kick it into a higher gear if he can. If he can't, then we simply won't win the title this year. Tony Parker cannot lead this team to a title, Tim will have to do it.

Agree, I found Duncan quite lazy.
He is 30 years old and has played more than 750 games in nba.
I can understand that he doesn't put the extra effort in regular season games but he will need to play at another level during the playoffs (like Shaq did last year).

Fabbs
12-23-2006, 10:11 AM
Because Bonzi thought he was worth $10 million a year, and the most any legitimate suitor had to offer was the MLE. Bozo priced himself out.

So since he signed with Hou for 2.1 this season and 2.3 the next, why is it the Spurs could not have signed him?

polandprzem
12-23-2006, 10:14 AM
Was Jordan playing lazy when he was 30?

And if those december games are not important, why are they playing them then?

Bruno
12-23-2006, 10:34 AM

Duncan isn't Jordan. I can understant that some players put less effort becouse they are less motivated in a regular season game after 10 years in the league than when they were rookie.
The difference between Jordan and Duncan is that Duncan is a PF/C and isn't a natural scorer. Paint defense, rebounding and working in the post isn't the same thing that taking jumpshot and making drives : Duncan has to battle in the paint to be effective.

Do they have capitalism in Poland ? :)
The main reason why NBA seasons are 82 games long is money : more games, more money.
If BB was the main focus of the nba, regular seasons would be 40 games long and not a 82 games season that isn't mor meaningfull but that creates tons of injuries and where teams aren't at 100% in some games (b2b, 4th game in 5 days..).

polandprzem
12-23-2006, 11:16 AM
They are playing 82 for 30 years or so in NBA, so this is no news to none players.

I was being a little sarcastic saying about Jordan and the games. But okay. Where was Olajuwon when he was 30?

(championships championships)

Was Olajuwon a post player?

Kori Ellis
12-23-2006, 11:28 AM
The Spurs defense, as a whole, is horrible right now.

Opponent's FG% is around 45/46%. And that translates into wins when the Spurs are shooting hot, but when they run cold or play a team that plays any kind of defense, then they are dead in the water.

Last night the interior defense was horrible and not just on Yao. Any Rocket could get into the lane for a variety of runners, hookers, layups, whatever. Elson is a bad defender. Oberto is sometimes just too slow/small, so he gets in foul trouble. And add to that Tim playing like he doesn't care on D. Weirdly enough, Bruce/Manu sucked on D too last night, but that's not the norm. The weak interior D is the norm lately though. Even though the Spurs are winning games, they have to get better on D. And that's why I think Pop likes losses like this.

I think he'd rather lose some games so that the players don't lull themselves into thinking they are doing fine just because they are winning.

A couple weeks ago people here kept saying stuff like "defense isn't that important anymore", "this Spurs team can outscore people and doesn't need to be that good on D". That's a bunch of BS. I'm not saying that this team is going to hold teams to around 40%, but they aren't going to go anywhere in the postseason allowing 45-48% per game.

Bruno
12-23-2006, 01:17 PM
They are playing 82 for 30 years or so in NBA, so this is no news to none players.

I was being a little sarcastic saying about Jordan and the games. But okay. Where was Olajuwon when he was 30?

(championships championships)

Was Olajuwon a post player?

If I've bolded some in my previous post, there is a reason. :)
It's not a rule.
I just say that I can understand that a player with 3 rings, a lot of minutes played in nba and who needs to be aggresive to be effective isn't fully motivated and hungry in a december regular season game.
Don't get me wrong, I rather have an hungry Duncan than a Duncan in cruse control mode but it's not the case.

Solid D
12-23-2006, 04:03 PM
Interior D is missing shot-blockers this year. This is the first season in many years the Spurs aren't even on the radar screen of the blocks rankings. It's not a coincidence the Spurs are giving up .445+ Opp. FG%.

JPB
12-23-2006, 04:19 PM

duncan knows is not the only one anymore who can take care of the score Tony, Manu). so, maybe unconsciously, when he doesn't feel good, he's not insisting like he was before.

Jordan was a beast and was taking every game as a challenge : to play a supposed great opponent, to break a new record, to improve a new aspect of his game. that was his way to find the motivation.

Tim is not that kind of beast. He's just kind of partially hibernating and will totally wake up, playoffs time approaching.

leemajors
12-23-2006, 04:47 PM
i would have liked to see Butler active last night, if for nothing else to see how he does against Yao in spots. Same for Eric Williams too, to see if he could at least hold his ground against bonzi in spots.

gameFACE
12-23-2006, 05:04 PM
I didn't see the game but it kind of reminds me of a few weeks ago when the Mavs came to town. The Spurs came out flat with no energy or interest. Strange how you have no interest playing the top teams in your division.

duncanchick21
12-23-2006, 05:25 PM
thank you for your point of view Bruno. It's december and the season is not over. I still believe in the team GO SPURS GO!!!

T Park
12-23-2006, 05:34 PM
End the Oberto experiment, play Butler.

End the Bonner experiment, play Williams.

Williams plays defense, Bonner doesn't.

I understand that Butler is under the Jackson treatment, but, its time to do the Stephen Jackson switch.

Switch out Oberto, for Butler.

You cannot tell me, Butler couldn't do what Oberto is doing, standing like a moron, and playing mediocre D.

But, if he plays, he gets experience, and I still stand by practice bein a horrible horrible developer of young players.

White is one thing, Butler played well and stepped up and well produced for a bad team, in bad conditions, under wich, other players QUIT.

So put the kid in, if we fail, we fail developing players that can take over and improve the situation possibly.

What the hell do we have to lose? THe spurs are not winning a championship with Oberto and JUST Elson.

That simple.

Cant_Be_Faded
12-23-2006, 06:49 PM
WTF, better defensively? Hows that when they've lost their last couple of games after blowing big leads in the fourth.

Choking late in quarters is a sign of something else other than bad defense, I think Houston's defense is really good--the choking can be attributed to morale or whatever label you attatch to it.

I would be happier with the spurs at this point if they have locked down an opponent for 3 straight quarters, blown a lead, rather than they outshooting an opponent then blowing a lead

Cant_Be_Faded
12-23-2006, 06:52 PM
I also think it is flat out ridiculous that some people are still trying to pull the "its not april" bull crap....this team needs to make a move, and elson needs to overcome that nazr learning curve to get better defensively.

ducks
12-23-2006, 07:35 PM
If it wasn't for a fluke comeback, the Spurs would have gotten blown out by the Rockets twice this season.

it was a good wake up call last night
hopefully pop will try to find a solution incase spurs face rockets in playoffs
houston is the only team in the west that scares me

ducks
12-23-2006, 07:36 PM
this team is making a move and has one of the best record in the nba

Nikos
12-23-2006, 08:01 PM
If Houston doesn't get McGrady back I don't fear them one bit. Should the Spurs lose to a Rocket team with a gimpy Tmac then thats their own choke job. Houston as it stands cannot beat Dallas or Phoenix unless Tmac plays like an all star again. I don't care if their defense is the best defense of all time -- they won't win if their sole offense is Yao Ming and Bonzi Wells 1 out of every 5 games. The team the Spurs played last night shouldn't be able to win more than 1 game in a playoff series. If they do then its because the Spurs suck, not because the Rockets are an elite team. The Rockets are elite when they get Tmac playing at at least a borderline all star level.

Last night was a fluke if you ask me. Getting blown out at home by an offensively challenged team? Wasn't a fluke that Houston won the game, but it was HOW they won. They seemed like they could score whenever they needed, even with Yao on the bench.

I have to see a lot more of the Spurs against the elite teams. Its too soon in the season to make any conclusions. The defense does look weaker, but the offense does look better. They need to do better on both ends to be a championship calibur team. Its certainly possible that they could improve on both ends.

SAGambler
12-24-2006, 12:23 PM
Yao down with leg injury...out for six weeks.....T-Mac out with back injury...Out for who knows how long.

This is why Houston can't be a contender......There stars are going to go down with injury year in and year out.

T-Mac.....Once a bad back, always a bad back.....
Yao...Running up and down on those legs...is it any surprise that he also seems to go down every year.