PDA

View Full Version : Mike Monroe : Rockets' win over Spurs fueled by 'Bonzi-ish' play

Bruno
12-23-2006, 08:15 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA122306.07C.BKNrockets.wells.366c6ac.html

Web Posted: 12/23/2006 12:42 AM CST
Mike Monroe
Express-News

Nobody inside the AT&T Center on Friday should have been surprised to see Houston's Bonzi Wells scoring 15 points or grabbing seven rebounds in the Rockets' 97-78 victory over the Spurs. The last time he played in the arena, he had 38 points and 12 rebounds for the Sacramento Kings in Game 5 of a 2006 first-round playoff series.

The Spurs survived Wells' performance that time, but not on Friday. With Rockets coach Jeff Van Gundy running his offense through Wells after 7-foot-6 center Yao Ming got in foul trouble, the Rockets thumped the Spurs.

"Bonzi looked very Bonzi-ish," Spurs guard Brent Barry said. "Maybe there's something about this building that wakes him up."

Wells has needed a wake-up call. On the inactive list through the season's first 18 games because of injuries and personal issues, Wells came into Friday's game averaging only 5.3 points and 3.7 rebounds in seven games with the Rockets. But Friday, he looked much like the player the Spurs feared most by the conclusion of their 4-2 playoff series victory over the Kings.

"Every time he plays against us," said Spurs point guard Tony Parker, "it seems like he has a good game."

The Rockets went into Friday's game winless in their last 17 games in San Antonio.

"I didn't know that," Wells said of his new team's struggles in the Alamo City. "But I know had some wins here before, so I felt confident we were going to win. I told the guys before the game we were going to win."

Wells doesn't have the same loquacious personality he had through the Spurs-Kings series, which he clearly believed enhanced his value on the free-agent market. He won't talk about the error in judgment that moved him to turn down a five-year, $38 million offer from the Kings. He is playing for the Rockets for just $2.2 million this season.

The Rockets are happy to have him, too. With high-scoring Tracy McGrady battling a bad back again, Wells is an able replacement. Always confident, he said there is nothing special about scoring against the Spurs.

"I don't care who I'm playing against," he said. "I understand my game and I understand what I can do, and I just try to do it."

Barry said the Rockets will be a scary playoff foe for any team as long as Wells remains "Bonzi-ish."

"Obviously he's a pivotal player for them with Tracy (McGrady) out," Barry said. "If Tracy gets himself healthy, Bonzi's the type of player who can make all the difference between winning a playoff series and losing it."

SenorSpur
12-23-2006, 08:56 AM
It doesn't matter what uniform Bonzi is wearing, the fact is the Spurs simply do not have anyone on the team who can guard him. He's not a good passer. It makes you wonder why they don't double team him to get the ball out of his hands.